Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Would you join us for NA 2 - electric boogaloo A complete refresh to a site for modern times

LOCKED TOPIC

Oct 17 at 1:18:38 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: dra600n

I give it the end of the month til the site is gone.

And it's not a joke or a sarcastic comment.

Code gloves code

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Oct 17 at 1:21:27 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
This place has been slow for awhile, but activity really crashed after the transfer of ownership.

Oct 17 at 1:30:09 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
It's tempting to start a new thread called NEW SITE IS LIVE!! with a subtitle like "mariochats.com" or something

Oct 17 at 1:42:27 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: rickrollcollector

Originally posted by: NewUser123456789

So y'all calling it eh? NA is dying and you want to have people move to a new site.

NA has been great, I've met alot of great people here, but this is the end of the line for me, if NA goes away and everyone moves elsewhere it was nice knowing all y'all...
I am with you

Originally posted by: Splain

I don't get it... you'll keep coming here but you won't go to a different site? Is it because of the history? Or because it feels forced?

Yeah, I don't get it, either. If this site is dead to you, why not just log out for good?

This site has some serious security concerns and whether the current owner makes a new site or someone else makes a new site, what difference does it make?

Oct 17 at 1:44:51 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

Why do you say this?  NA is alive and well as far as I see it.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Oct 17 at 1:45:13 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Brock Landers and I will keep it alive.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Edited: 10/17/2019 at 01:45 PM by tbone3969

Oct 17 at 1:45:34 PM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Sometimes my browser is slow and I just assume the site is gone. One day that will be the case.

Oct 17 at 1:51:17 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: tbone3969

From my view point, the number of outages (specifically, receiving 503's) has increased significantly. To be honest, I don't recall ever seeing a Cold Fusion 503 message before the handoff; it was always the static "we're super dooper busy" page. So it's going down (hard / in ways ) that the software can't interrupt and/or catch via a static page being served.

If I had a paid account with Pingdom or something I'd add NA just for giggles; there are a few URLs you can hit that guarantee non-static results (e.g. DB hits, cached or otherwise).

Last week skinny managed to spoof a moderator badge, which was due to a simple bug in the software. He didn't actually have any mod abilities, yet the mods were scrambling to determine the extent of the incident. A bug like that, that's actually exploitable, alongside the apparent codefreeze, keeps many like myself thinking more pessimistically than I'd like.

Oct 17 at 1:56:46 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: barrels

From my view point, the number of outages (specifically, receiving 503's) has increased significantly. To be honest, I don't recall ever seeing a Cold Fusion 503 message before the handoff; it was always the static "we're super dooper busy" page. So it's going down (hard / in ways ) that the software can't interrupt and/or catch via a static page being served.

If I had a paid account with Pingdom or something I'd add NA just for giggles; there are a few URLs you can hit that guarantee non-static results (e.g. DB hits, cached or otherwise).

Last week skinny managed to spoof a moderator badge, which was due to a simple bug in the software. He didn't actually have any mod abilities, yet the mods were scrambling to determine the extent of the incident. A bug like that, that's actually exploitable, alongside the apparent codefreeze, keeps many like myself thinking more pessimistically than I'd like.

The fact that a bug like that exists is mind numbing. lol

If anyone (with proper knowledge) actually HAD mal intent for the site as it is, they could take it down.

Edited: 10/17/2019 at 01:57 PM by Br81zad

Oct 17 at 2:10:08 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
^ and this isn't the most liked community. If Pat were to say as much on his podcast, might as well pack it in because it'd happen pretty quickly.

Oct 17 at 2:13:49 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

^ and this isn't the most liked community. If Pat were to say as much on his podcast, might as well pack it in because it'd happen pretty quickly.

Who's Pat?

Oct 17 at 2:19:41 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California

Who's Pat?

Contri 

Oct 17 at 2:38:21 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Br81zad

If anyone (with proper knowledge) actually HAD mal intent for the site as it is, they could take it down.

It is indeed very easy to disable this site currently.

Yep, but let's make a new site with an association/nod to/etc. to NA, a community vastly disliked by most other gaming communities.

Unfortunately, it'll be very unlikely I join a new site, especially if it's just a throwback to NA and just features forums. I already have that with AtariAge and Sega-16 (not the NA throwback or anything, but everything else). Plus, I feel there's way too many folks involved with the "new site", so I'd rather just not get my hopes up.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 17 at 5:14:37 PM
NESfanatic (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Ohio
Whats the discord in incase this joint is lost?

Oct 17 at 5:36:06 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Yea if it's that likely to go down before anything else is set up wheres the next best place to go? Atariage?

Oct 17 at 6:27:15 PM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: leatherrebel5150

Yea if it's that likely to go down before anything else is set up wheres the next best place to go? Atariage?

I joined the discord incase that happens. Figure updates would be delivered there. Haven't found another forum I like.

Oct 18 at 10:28:38 AM
Outdoormongoose (15)

< Little Mac >
Arizona

Originally posted by: Br81zad

It is indeed very easy to disable this site currently.

Yep, but let's make a new site with an association/nod to/etc. to NA, a community vastly disliked by most other gaming communities.

Unfortunately, it'll be very unlikely I join a new site, especially if it's just a throwback to NA and just features forums. I already have that with AtariAge and Sega-16 (not the NA throwback or anything, but everything else). Plus, I feel there's way too many folks involved with the "new site", so I'd rather just not get my hopes up.

Same.

It's just a new coat of paint with the same problems. The sale forum as largely dried up and I'm not getting the same quality/pricing as I use to. I was cutting dang good deals when I sold games and paid for half shipping. How is the new site going to change any of the current problems?

Oct 18 at 10:35:12 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Outdoormongoose

It's just a new coat of paint with the same problems. The sale forum as largely dried up and I'm not getting the same quality/pricing as I use to. I was cutting dang good deals when I sold games and paid for half shipping. How is the new site going to change any of the current problems?

You are asking how will the new site make people give you better deals?  That "problem" has been a common refrain the entirety of the almost 10 years I have been a member.  "I use to get such good deals, prices are too high!".  To answer your question, a new site won't fix that for you. 

Oct 18 at 10:40:06 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: B.A.

Originally posted by: Outdoormongoose

You are asking how will the new site make people give you better deals?  That "problem" has been a common refrain the entirety of the almost 10 years I have been a member.  "I use to get such good deals, prices are too high!".  To answer your question, a new site won't fix that for you. 

I believe he's asking from the seller side, not buyer side.  As in he's been giving good deal pricing and stuff still isn't selling here due to traffic.

In that case my only advice is to list your items in multiple places if prices are genuinely good and not selling.  Forum traffic isn't an just isolated to NA, it's forums in general waging the war with social media traffic. 

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Oct 18 at 10:43:53 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
^That's not how I read it Jone. "I'm not getting the same quality/pricing as I use to" He's mad that he gives out deals and other people don't.

Oct 18 at 10:48:36 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, I don't think there is a solution to the Facebook problem. It is what it is. You can't compete with that reach.

To me this forum is more about sharing stories and information. And why I want to continue with a new one.

If your primary concern is a marketplace, I don't know what to tell you.

Oct 18 at 10:52:31 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Yeah, I don't think there is a solution to the Facebook problem. It is what it is. You can't compete with that reach.

To me this forum is more about sharing stories and information. And why I want to continue with a new one.

If your primary concern is a marketplace, I don't know what to tell you.

I think there would be some type of informal marketplace at least at NewCokeNA or whatever it'll end up being.

I just see the writing on the wall with the staff that actually wants to improve this place getting flat out ignored.   Even if some type of improvements were offered by JeffCo (TM), I would take it with a grain of salt since he shows zero interest in maintaining this place.

Oct 18 at 11:01:17 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker
I think there would be some type of informal marketplace at least at NewCokeNA or whatever it'll end up being.

Oh, I don't deny that there will be a buyer/seller forum on the new place, but trying to get back the good ol' days ain't happening. Might as well wish it was 1998 and NES tapes are 20 for $10 at Funcoland again.

Oct 18 at 11:11:09 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa

^That's not how I read it Jone. "I'm not getting the same quality/pricing as I use to" He's mad that he gives out deals and other people don't.
I also read it as someone complaining they aren't getting killer deals as a buyer (despite giving them out as a seller).

Personally I haven't noticed that at all with the FS forum, but rather the fluctuations that happen when the market rises/lowers.  I've been here for quite some time and have dealt a ton, pricing has always seemed a hair under ebay.  Trading here is really where it was at (for me).

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 11:11 AM by Boosted52405

Oct 18 at 11:27:14 AM
Outdoormongoose (15)

< Little Mac >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

I also read it as someone complaining they aren't getting killer deals as a buyer (despite giving them out as a seller).

Personally I haven't noticed that at all with the FS forum, but rather the fluctuations that happen when the market rises/lowers.  I've been here for quite some time and have dealt a ton, pricing has always seemed a hair under ebay.  Trading here is really where it was at (for me).

That's not what I meant.

We're all collectors and players. We're all looking to help eachother out either build their collections or find good games. It's just not a complaint, just what I've noticed happening in the time I've been here.

I can go to ebay or the local store and get the games for only a few dollars more with a warranty and instant return if something is wrong.