Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Holy crap. Analogue Super NT!!!! Preorder up now!

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:16:57 PM
TuSecsy (14)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

Originally posted by: TuSecsy

kevtris has been working on his own product the Zimba 3000 for years and this is basically what cannibalized that project.  it will be the same deal as the nt mini (hacked firmware, roms off sd card).  Analogue actively encourages the hacked firmwares cuz it makes their products sell like crazy, but they can't exactly say this publically for legal reasons.

Does the Zimba 3000 not have plans for original carts and controllers? Basically the only reason I'm interested in it is a convenient way to play vintage games like Atari and CV without using RF. Basically everything past NES has RGB output or an easy mod. MiST Computer already plays vintage ROMs. I was hoping for a way to use carts.
He has the PCBs designed and they're all out there.  Nobody's gone through the trouble of actually producing the hardware though.  I feel the demand wasn't much for the 8-bit systems but for the 16-bit it will be necessary.  Genesis games really need the gen controller.

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:48:32 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Bert

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

So I read the analogue website, but Im not clear on how this makes an everdrive irrelevant? Or how you can play neo geo on it? Am I missing something?

Basically with the NT Mini for NES games, Kevtris released a custom firmware and I guess analogue turned a blind eye, since he developed the system in the first place. So with the SD card reader you can load roms from any 8 bit system, no flash carts needed and it'll play. I'm guessing the same thing is expected here

Oh ok so you can emulate off it. Im glad someone finally figured that out, throw those original consoles in the trash!

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:49:58 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

So I read the analogue website, but Im not clear on how this makes an everdrive irrelevant? Or how you can play neo geo on it? Am I missing something?

Basically with the NT Mini for NES games, Kevtris released a custom firmware and I guess analogue turned a blind eye, since he developed the system in the first place. So with the SD card reader you can load roms from any 8 bit system, no flash carts needed and it'll play. I'm guessing the same thing is expected here

Oh ok so you can emulate off it. Im glad someone finally figured that out, throw those original consoles in the trash!
Yeah, it's not like we're collectors or anything.  

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:54:10 PM
TuSecsy (14)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama

No, it uses the hardware to play the games, same as an original cart.

I'm curious why you formed such a strong opinion about this item without actually knowing anything at all about it.

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 04:55 PM by TuSecsy

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:55:15 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia

They don't acknowledge Kevtris' jailbreak of the Analog NT Mini either.  

Originally posted by: Sign Collector Guy

Originally posted by: lojack44

I'm on the fence about getting one. It's cool that it is HDMI-capable, but I already have a one-chip SNES and a 20L5 PVM that I just had recapped/ calibrated...
Yep. I love my 1-Chip and PVM Setup. I dont think people understand we want to play the original hardware. Forever. A good snes being solid state electronics will last my lifetime.

...but dat PVM doe...

Yeah, it'll be great while it lasts. I feel you there.
Originally posted by: John198X

Originally posted by: MuNKeY

I loved mine until I borked it by turning the charger cord the wrong way into the port the in bad lighting, will buy another eventually.

Mine just straight up wouldn't turn on. The only life it showed was a single green LED flash that would occur right after plugging the cable in. Other than that, it was basically a brick.

That's exactly what a Bluetooth controller I bought from GameStop was doing (forgot the brand) after the battery went bad. I got white and my roommate bought a black one on clearance but his did the same thing out of the box!

Originally posted by: attakid101

Originally posted by: TuSecsy

Originally posted by: romevi

The controller isn't included, right? You have to buy that separately?

Yes, but you absolutely 100% should not ever buy an 8bitdo controller, they're garbage.
I was very close to purchasing an 8bitdo wireless controller. Can you elaborate a little? Thanks!

Yes, please. I just returned a defective one without being able to actually use it, and likely to order a replacement.

I loved mine until I borked it by turning the charger cord the wrong way into the port the in bad lighting, will buy another eventually.
USB-C needs to hurry up and become universal.

Originally posted by: attakid101

Originally posted by: romevi

Yes, but you absolutely 100% should not ever buy an 8bitdo controller, they're garbage.
I was very close to purchasing an 8bitdo wireless controller. Can you elaborate a little? Thanks!

Yes, please. I just returned a defective one without being able to actually use it, and likely to order a replacement.

Supporting a lot of Bluetooth devices has always been a nightmare. I tried to pair my 8bitdo NES30 Pro to a certain PC last night and it just wouldn't work and then it inexplicably worked this morning. I tried to pair an HP Touchpad keyboard to it but got nothing though it paired fine with other devices and BT software stacks.

I've noticed that my iPhone routinely says that it can't connect to a certain device after pairing even though it did connect and remains connected and reconnects just fine. I had a Razer Orochi that would not pair with a BT receiver until I paired it with something else because it was CONVINCED that it was already paired even though the dongle had been moved to a new PC with an entirely different BT software stack and I put BOTH in pairing mode.

Unfortunately, I expect these issues because that's the nature of 8bitdo making their controllers as universal as possible. It sucks, but it's likely not even their fault. Like a PS4 controller with a PS4, their stuff usually works fine with more of their stuff when they don't need a FW update to support newer combinations.

I fancy myself a controller snob and was VERY skeptical of their products at first but they really won me over. At first I only used their RetroReceivers for stuff like playing NES/SNES with a Wii Remote or DualShock 4. Eventually I graduated to NES30 to pair with my NES Classic Edition + RetroReceiver, and it was great! I later got dual FC30 for a junk Famicom with no controllers (internal RetroReceiver) and even got a NES30 Pro yesterday. Only one I have doubts about is the N64 controller since it's made with RetroBit. RetroBit copied the cable winding posts inside the NES dogbone controller and then didn't even use them! This subjects the individual wires connected to the board to outside forces and absolutely WILL ruin the controller. I saw the same thing in their SNES-style Retro Duo Controllers. After that, they had the nerve to put a quality control sticker over an external screw hole!

Originally posted by: SwiftFrost

everdrive/powerpack...which are now obsolete thanks to this.

this is everything, systems, outputs, everdrives.  kinda a big deal.
This plays on my SNES? No? Then they aren’t obsolete in the slightest. 

It's fine that you are excited for it, but you don’t need to be brash about it here and troll superg about it. 
Kevtris has teased us that he planned to make his own flashcart someday and I've always been eager to see it. He said this while having full access to NES Power Pak and Everdrive N8 so there was obviously something he felt he could do better (not surprising, considering that he is the one who documented most NES mappers in the first place). I already mentioned that the Analog NT Mini is basically the Zimba 3000 FPGA console, but it's also his multi-console flashcart all in one. Like you, I'm a bit underwhelmed by that but it makes a lot of sense when you consider that the same FPGA simulates various cartridge audio hardware, various ROM mappers, various consoles, etc.​

Originally posted by: Bert

Now can we get a flashcart that plays every game?

The nicest thing with the AVS is that you can have that and a powerpak and be set. The snes still has that pain in the ass that some games you need to buy. I guess I could use the stunt race fx cart as a coaster or something
This has 100% full support, regardless of chip.  Makes sd2snes look silly. Can buy a whole 1080p system and have a built in sd2snes with 100% support now for the same price.

Everything, and I mean everything 8bitdo makes is straight up trash.  Best snes solution for pi is the retrousb adapter with a real controller.

You can say I'm shilling for this product, but all I'm doing is trying to give people a heads up so they aren't kicking themselves when these things sell out, and you have to wait another 6 months to get one while they're 400$+ on ebay.  All while people bitch about "scalpers".
You sure about that? It was my initial/knee-jerk assumption but they really changed my mind.

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 04:58 PM by CZroe

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:56:03 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
ehm sew konfuseded... Is it a emulator box or not?

-------------------------
Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 04:57 PM by MuNKeY

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:59:23 PM
TuSecsy (14)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Originally posted by: MuNKeY

FPGA (hardware emulation).

Not to be confused with software garbage.

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:06:43 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

Definitely not. An FPGA has reconfigurable hardware that can replicate the hardware of an older platform. For example, it can configure it's internal RAM to act like ROM (not a stretch, really!) and specify certain pins as address or data lines so that the chip effectively configured itself to *be* a ROM. For the things it doesn't have the hardware to configure, it has a relatively powerful CPU that technically can emulate something.

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Originally posted by: Bert

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

It's not emulation. It's the exact same tech in the AVS and Hi-Def NES. Instead of configuring it for one device, it can be reconfigured for many. AVS could conceivably support similar functionality with the right firmware.

I seem to remember some kind of "flash cart" solution for NES back in the late 80s/early 90s. Pretty sure it used 1.4" floppy disks. Some ad in a video game magazine or something.
Bung PC jr does this but it also incorporates a clone console (...and runs DOS!).

Originally posted by: DefaultGen

kevtris has been working on his own product the Zimba 3000 for years and this is basically what cannibalized that project.  it will be the same deal as the nt mini (hacked firmware, roms off sd card).  Analogue actively encourages the hacked firmwares cuz it makes their products sell like crazy, but they can't exactly say this publically for legal reasons.

Does the Zimba 3000 not have plans for original carts and controllers? Basically the only reason I'm interested in it is a convenient way to play vintage games like Atari and CV without using RF. Basically everything past NES has RGB output or an easy mod. MiST Computer already plays vintage ROMs. I was hoping for a way to use carts.
Kevtris designed cart adapters to play original carts but he also incorporated his flashcart ambitions to play from SD card. Some think it's the best of both worlds but I'm a little disappointed because I wanted to see a dedicated flash cart.

I think it was in the comments to a recent GameTech livestream where Kevtris openly stated that the Analog NT Mini *is* the Zimba 3000, so no mystery about his intentions there.  

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 05:10 PM by CZroe

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:09:58 PM
Trevor (15)

< Meka Chicken >
United States
I think I'm really going to like this thing. Already regretting my color choice tho.

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:10:48 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

No, it uses the hardware to play the games, same as an original cart.

I'm curious why you formed such a strong opinion about this item without actually knowing anything at all about it.

Same reason you seem so intent on fellating this thing like its the best thing since the printing press. Plus I don't really care for your tone   

You using the fact that you can load roms on it as a reason that its going to make everything obsolete is absurd. Yeah its cool that it can be jailbroken to play other consoles and its hdmi. Neat. 

In the end, you still have to pay 200 (with no controllers) then jailbreak it and load roms onto it. 

A cool packagae and a piece of technology, but no one is throwing their collection away over this like you came in here screaming. 

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:10:57 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

It's not emulation any more than using a Powerpak is emulation. (i.e. it's not)

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:13:00 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

No its an FPGA just like the AVS is. Only you cant use a cart

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:16:58 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

Some flashcarts also use an FPGA to replicate the ROM and mapper logic of an original cart. Replicate, not emulate.   That's how flexible they are! They can go from replicating that to replicating system hardware just like that. That's how the NT Mini incorporates BOTH functions (flashcart and hardware clone).

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 05:18 PM by CZroe

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:24:42 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Ok so you have to jail break it so you can load roms into the built in everdrive?

See where im going with this? Its the same process as using a retro pie- just a better way of doing it (replicating original hardware)

Those have been around for a while, and it did literally nothing to the collecting community. There will be people who still dont want to bother with any of that and play on original hardware.

Either path is fine. Im arguing against this Super NT making everything "obsolete" as was mentioned earlier.

None of that takes away from how cool this Super NT is, and what options it will open for people in the future.

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 05:25 PM by MrWunderful

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:25:07 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

That isn't emulation in the sense that Corey was posting about (i.e. "emulate off it" implies talking about software emulation of the games and console like an RPi)

​An FPGA solution, properly implemented, is essentially "the real thing" using modern firmware capabilities rather than old school chip dies.

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:28:37 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Those have been around for a while, and it did literally nothing to the collecting community. There will be people who still dont want to bother with any of that and play on original hardware.
Did somebody actually argue that this thing would impact collecting?  (there is a lot of back-and-forth in the thread, so maybe I missed it)

​I just saw people pointing out that this represents an optimal way to play SNES on modern TVs (i.e. lower latency and cheaper than RGB + framemiester)
​i.e. it makes SNES RGB + Framemeister "obsolete" as a solution for playing SNES on a modern TVs

Seems like a completely valid point, to me.

​The thing still plays real cartidges, just like the AVS plays real NES cartridges.  So there isn't some implication that collectors shouldn't play their real games on it...

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 05:29 PM by arch_8ngel

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:31:16 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida

Originally posted by: romevi

Never heard that before. Why are 8bitdo controllers "garbage" and what controller will work and is recommended for the SNES Analogue?

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:31:48 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

Did somebody actually argue that this thing would impact collecting?  (there is a lot of back-and-forth in the thread, so maybe I missed it)

​I just saw people pointing out that this represents an optimal way to play SNES on modern TVs (i.e. lower latency and cheaper than RGB + framemiester)
​i.e. it makes SNES RGB + Framemeister "obsolete" as a solution for playing SNES on a modern TVs

​The thing still plays real cartidges, just like the AVS plays real NES cartridges.  So there isn't some implication that collectors shouldn't play their real games on it...

I don't think people realize how earth shattering this thing is...

Once kevtris ports all the 16-bit cores....yes...even NEO GEO..

Framemeister, obsolete, OSSC, basically obsolete, every single 16-bit rgb modded system with special scart cable...obsolete. Scart switcher...obsolete.

And almost the biggest one...EVERY SINGLE EVERDRIVE....OBSOLETE.  (ok not n64 but who gives a shit).

Selling my SD2SNES to pay for one, and probably about 2k of other stuff as well before the market tanks (NT mini included).

And yes I used the term collecting, when I probably should've said playing. 

Is it more convenient than having all of your consoles  hooked up to a scart switch and a PVM to play on this device, once you have gone through all the trouble of loading everything on there? Yes. will it make everything else obsolete? No.

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 05:38 PM by MrWunderful

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:37:30 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I don't think people realize how earth shattering this thing is...

Once kevtris ports all the 16-bit cores....yes...even NEO GEO..

Framemeister, obsolete, OSSC, basically obsolete, every single 16-bit rgb modded system with special scart cable...obsolete. Scart switcher...obsolete.

And almost the biggest one...EVERY SINGLE EVERDRIVE....OBSOLETE.  (ok not n64 but who gives a shit).

Selling my SD2SNES to pay for one, and probably about 2k of other stuff as well before the market tanks (NT mini included).

And yes I used the term collecting, when I probably should've meant playing

His point seems valid, if what happened with the Analogue NT jailbreak is repeatable and Kevtris has the other system cores he's referring to...

And more to the point, pretty much nothing he's talking about in that post is "original hardware" being used by people that can't be bothered to pursue other solutions.

​I'm not sure what part of his post you latched onto with your chain of replies, but it seems like you are responding to a message that doesn't exist.

​EDIT:  and by "obsolete" I think it is pretty clear that he is referring to NEW PURCHASES.  (i.e. if you already own all that stuff, sure do whatever works for you)

But why on earth would you go through the expense of procuring an RGB SNES + Framemiester + SD2SNES when you could spend considerably less and just do it all better with this system?

​That makes those devices "obsolete", by what seems like a fair and common use of the word.

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 05:39 PM by arch_8ngel

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:40:21 PM
retroupgrade (3)
< Meka Chicken >
I really like the concept and the presentation. Very cool color choices. If I didn't already have a RGB SNES and SNES Mini, I'd jump on it. I hope the reviews are solid. Might get one anyways and try to make my SNES Mini into a portable.

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:42:00 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
What. The. Fuck.

I give up. I'm going to stop trying to argue my point so that people that want to know about this product can get more information and discuss it. 

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 05:46 PM by MrWunderful

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:50:02 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

But why on earth would you go through the expense of procuring an RGB SNES + Framemiester + SD2SNES when you could spend considerably less and just do it all better with this system?

I've run into more than a few people that don't want to use a FPGA solution and prefer the original PPU/CPU hardware (Mobiusstriptech, for one, is a proponent.) And while this is a nice device, it's hardly the end all (especially if you're a PVM/CRT user.)

It also helps not to use the pegboy approach to presenting your case (not you, just certain others.   )

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 05:50 PM by Tulpa

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:53:37 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Tulpa

I've run into more than a few people that don't want to use a FPGA solution and prefer the original PPU/CPU hardware (Mobiusstriptech, for one, is a proponent.) And while this is a nice device, it's hardly the end all (especially if you're a PVM/CRT user.)

It also helps not to use the pegboy approach to presenting your case (not you, just certain others.   )

I would have assumed that a PVM user already had an RGB system and a "normal" CRT user was just using a stock system anyway.

​And the pegboy approach involves a lot more venom and a lot more calling people idiots or normies or casuals or whatever-the-fuck terminology he tends to use.    

(seriously though, there is nothing remotely pegboy-esque about my post, at all -- maybe you're referring to the other guy's post-chain, though)

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:54:50 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
(seriously though, there is nothing remotely pegboy-esque about my post, at all -- maybe you're referring to the other guy's post-chain, though)

That's why I added (not you.)  

Oct 16, 2017 at 6:00:57 PM
Malachi Constant (2)
< Eggplant Wizard >

His point seems valid, if what happened with the Analogue NT jailbreak is repeatable and Kevtris has the other system cores he's referring to...

He does. I used to read that insanely long Zimba 3000 thread on Atariage before it grew out of hand, and he's been working on a bunch of cores for over a decade apparently. He has also posted a lot of youtube stuff in the last two years where he was reverse-engineering odd 8 bit systems and tried to find out how they worked.