Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Wii Price Drop plus "Nintendo Selects"

May 15, 2011 at 5:51:41 PM
##### (15)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
Australian Capital Territory
With the recent announcement of the upcoming Wii 2 / Wii HD, Nintendo has dropped the price of the original Wii to $150 and added a series of value games to their library that they refer to as "Nintendo Selects"(popular games with greatest hits packaging marked down to $20). The console comes with a copy of Mario Cart.

I finally broke down and bought a Wii this past November when Donkey Kong Country Returns and Goldeneye were released and paid $180 and the console was bundled with Wii Sports Resort. Kind of wish I would have waited to buy now but then again, not that big of a price different. Would have definitely taken Mario Cart in place of Wii Sports Resort, though.

Edited: 05/15/2011 at 08:59 PM by #####

May 15, 2011 at 6:08:12 PM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I got an email from Amazon today notifying me of it...don't know why though, as i've always owned a Wii.

-------------------------
Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

May 15, 2011 at 6:30:55 PM
EvilEyeball (24)
(Liam Turner) < Kraid Killer >
British Columbia
My wii didn't even have wii sports resort with it...

-- Currently Collecting --
Canadian Loose 24/64
First Party NES Accessories: Need only Hands Free Controller

May 15, 2011 at 8:30:04 PM
catfriedrice (5)
(Daniel L.) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Plastik Gold
Would have definitely taken Mario Cart in place of Wii Sports Resort, though.

Wii Sports wasn't bundled in it either.  Take the WS/WSR version and buy Mario Kart, it's cheaper.

The selects that we carry at work are Zelda Twilight Princess, Mario Super Sluggers, Animal Crossing City Folk, and Wii Sports.

May 15, 2011 at 8:45:39 PM
aleckermit (34)
(The OoT Guy) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
LOL who would pay $20 for Wii Sports? Who would pay $10? There's thousands of loose copies on ebay for next to nothing.

N64 NFR set completed:

http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

Need these items: Ocarina of Time Gold NFR (just has NFR sticker on backside), Ocarina of Time 3D E3 NFR.

http://www.youtube.com/aleckermit...

May 16, 2011 at 4:41:50 PM
evilive138 (22)
(Mike Sherman) < El Ripper >
New Hampshire
I'm still too damn cheap to grab one. Maybe when it hits $100 or $120. lol. My biggest problem is if i do buy one than ive gotta still get all the good(still expensive) titles for it.

Guess i'm just too damn cheap to have more than one new console.

May 16, 2011 at 5:24:01 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Yeah, way too little way too late. If they had done this nintendo selects thing a couple years ago, and actually included a few of their good older titles instead of only Zelda I might be a happy wii supporter instead of an angry Sony user.

GRRR!

May 16, 2011 at 9:09:52 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Outside of that price drop that's official, Gamestop lowered today Kirby's Epic Yarn to $29.99 down from $49.99 so if you were like me thinking it was too much for a Wii game, it's time to strike.

May 17, 2011 at 3:19:55 AM
##### (15)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
Australian Capital Territory
To be honest, I have a hard time caring about the Wii. I was all hyped up about getting it back in November, and yeah, DKC Returns might have been the best game of 2010. Goldeneye was lots of fun, as well. I also bought the Wii Fit bundle because it came with a $50 game credit on amazon back then but the Wii Fit turned out to be pretty useless besides as a digital scale and a way to track your weight loss.

It sat unused for the first few months of the new year and recently I tried to give it a second chance. I downloaded Cave Story and Bit Trip Runner, both awesome, but I lost interest and gave up on completing them.

Maybe I need to give Mario Galaxies 2 a chance. I recently picked up Sonic Colors, which has been pretty mediocre in my opinion.

Any recommendations from Wii enthusiasts?

May 17, 2011 at 2:12:21 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I think the problem is a combination of Nintendo and greatly more so third party treatment of the system as far as game offerings and their quality. Most of the library is a mix of flash games, shovelware, garbage, and halfassed up B-team slaps to the face using known franchises. Other games, lots of lies from bought off gamespot/ign reviews with lots of fluff and made up hope to releasing mediocrity people on a budget wasted good money on time and again over the years. That's where I am on wii and outside of Kirby yesterday the last game I bought was Goldeneye which I got rid of (controlled like shit) and before that Mario Galaxy 2 or the SMB title whatever is newer unless Dragon's Lair or Metroid OtherM came out after those. I've probably had 50 games for it and I have like 17 now. Even when I do find a good game I can't get motivated to finish it just because it's on the Wii, I just lose it...last one I finished was Mario Galaxy 2, SMB6, Dragon's Lair, Metroid...got bored and stopped.

The only recommendation I can make, find something that looks uniquely fun, don't trust Nintendo as they screwed up a few downgrades to the market over their GC counterparts, and read OWNER reviews, not commercial and maybe you'll find something to love.