Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I'm not going to post the link but - Sealed NES Mario Hangtab

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:51:13 PM
8-bit_boice (49)
(Josh Boice) < Meka Chicken >
Kansas
Can't wait to see what people at garage sales start pricing their smb carts at now...

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:52:13 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: kbob25

Wow, that video was hard to watch. 

Yeah he was trying to be reasonable and fair which is what made it worse because he missed the greater point and equated all sealed copies as being the same

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:17:26 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Bronty

Originally posted by: gutsman004

I guess I am a little bit happier to have this locked up after today's events.

http://imgur.com/YGOykxC

That picture is just straight up filthy....in a good way! Wow!

Any interesting story as to how you obtained it?

Yes

Care to elaborate? If not,that's cool too.

Sorry that was my idea of a smart assed joke   hehe.  Prefer not to get into it  

You should just make up some cool ass story like it was your prize for being Canadian bear wrestling champ for 1986.

Or...this dive bar had a wager.....eat 50 hot dogs in 7 minutes,win a sealed SMB. And you ate every single greasy hot dog and won!

Or....you were playing the 1986 Montreal Canadiens in Texas Hold 'Em and the wager was the Stanley Cup. Guy Carbonneau drops a full house,Kings over Queens but you drop a four of a kind,aces.Terrified that they may lose the cup and knowing you like video games.he offers you a sealed copy of SMB,which you accept and is what you see pictures.. 

Edited: 07/27/2017 at 08:33 PM by gutsman004

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:38:50 PM
Trevor (15)

< Meka Chicken >
United States
He shot a man in Reno for it.

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:42:13 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Trevor

He shot a man in Reno for it.

Yes! Even better,he killed six men with one bullet to claim it!

Or he won it at Wrestlemania 2!

Edited: 07/27/2017 at 08:45 PM by gutsman004

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:44:25 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio

That picture is just straight up filthy....in a good way! Wow!

Any interesting story as to how you obtained it?

Yes

Care to elaborate? If not,that's cool too.

Sorry that was my idea of a smart assed joke   hehe.  Prefer not to get into it  

You should just make up some cool ass story like it was your prize for being Canadian bear wrestling champ for 1986.

Or...this dive bar had a wager.....eat 50 hot dogs in 7 minutes,win a sealed SMB. And you ate every single greasy hot dog and won! Or....you were playing the 1986 Montreal Canadiens in Texas Hold 'Em and the wager was the Stanley Cup. Guy Carbonneau drops a full house,Kings over Queens but you drop a four of a kind,aces.Terrified that they may lose the cup and knowing you like video games.he offers you a sealed copy of SMB,which you accept and is what you see pictures.. 

I think we should have a story writing contest.

Write the best story for how Dan obtained his sealed Super Mario hang tab and win a random sealed NES game.

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:52:49 PM
1upped (40)
(A S) < El Ripper >
United States
Great looking sticker seal Bronty---I love it when a few of these beauties just make it to the marketplace. I wonder what their story is ---most iconic set in all of gaming <3

Are you clever enough to unravel the mystery of Clu Clu land?

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:53:29 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: rondy_

The copy that sold for $30k is pristine and has a nice hangtab, but it has "TM" after "Nintendo Entertainment System". It belongs to the the last print of hangtab boxes, so I don't consider it first print and I know it is not a second print either.

That's very impressive! There were two sticker sealed prints for this game, one with and one without(first print) the text "Game Pak (NES-GP)" on the back.
Which one do you have?

Here's the back.  I think you're saying this is a first right?

i seduced princess peach, and this baby Mario was the offspring 

https://imgur.com/gallery/v8Pxf...

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 07/28/2017 at 01:02 AM by Bronty

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:28:51 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: 1upped

Great looking sticker seal Bronty---I love it when a few of these beauties just make it to the marketplace. I wonder what their story is ---most iconic set in all of gaming <3
Thanks Am and yeah it was definitely a fun auction to watch

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:48:18 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Had to check the other mario in light of this, to me, new info. I guess these are both firsts then rightÉ The M Arcade doesnèt have a code marking either.
http://i.imgur.com/Bar3oLS.jpg...
http://i.imgur.com/PNciimN.jpg...

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:25:44 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Personally I only worry about major variants and I know damn well VGA isn't designating at the minor level. That's what makes getting population reports so frustrating, you have to ask about a dozen times on every variant imaginable to try and catch them all. One game that is especially bad is FFVII on PS1, there's black label, black label with and without misprint, black label y-fold, black label overlap, greatest hits and probably some that weren't even designated.

So case in point, all I would care about on SMB would be white seal, black seal rev-A, black seal non-rev A and Hangtab. I wouldn't care about TMs and R and "Game Pak" and all these other minor variants. Maybe they'll catch on but with such a small population to choose from, I don't see the minor variants mattering much.

And side note, those stickers just don't appeal to me. I'd rather have a hangtab with factory plastic, and if that's cheaper, then win-win in my book.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:29:04 AM
1upped (40)
(A S) < El Ripper >
United States
I agree w/Jone on the minor, almost unnoticeable variants. The stickers are a little different for me though as they give an insight to the very first print run of NES and we're most likely released before BOA even had any shrinkwrap equipment for mass production. NES infancy at its finest. That said, the shrinkwrap added a whole new level of preservation and condition to the market that collectors would not be aware of for years....hence, the 30k for an early print Mario 30 years later  

Are you clever enough to unravel the mystery of Clu Clu land?

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:08:26 AM
rondy_ (91)
< El Ripper >
United States

The copy that sold for $30k is pristine and has a nice hangtab, but it has "TM" after "Nintendo Entertainment System". It belongs to the the last print of hangtab boxes, so I don't consider it first print and I know it is not a second print either.

That's very impressive! There were two sticker sealed prints for this game, one with and one without(first print) the text "Game Pak (NES-GP)" on the back.
Which one do you have?

https://imgur.com/gallery/v8Pxf

Yes! That's the very first print! (and that Mario Arcade too, holyshit!) I'm happy it exists. Probably the only one in that condition.
That Super Mario Bros. (and I know the arcade too) must be one of the most valuable video game pieces.

Some people don't care about the sticker sealed variant, but for me it definetly adds value. I can't afford to collect those sealed, but for my CIB collection I'd pay a high premium for a sticker sealed box in very good condition with a nice cut on the sticker seal and I'd say the sticker seal is a major variant, it's not like the sticker is thrown away like the shrink wrap when you open the game and it marks the first print. The Rev-A vs non Rev-A is also just a small text on the box and most collectors care a lot about it. I think the "TM" vs no "TM" on the front of the box adds that kind of difference too.

Edited: 07/28/2017 at 11:10 AM by rondy_

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:09:46 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: jonebone

Personally I only worry about major variants and I know damn well VGA isn't designating at the minor level. That's what makes getting population reports so frustrating, you have to ask about a dozen times on every variant imaginable to try and catch them all. One game that is especially bad is FFVII on PS1, there's black label, black label with and without misprint, black label y-fold, black label overlap, greatest hits and probably some that weren't even designated.

So case in point, all I would care about on SMB would be white seal, black seal rev-A, black seal non-rev A and Hangtab. I wouldn't care about TMs and R and "Game Pak" and all these other minor variants. Maybe they'll catch on but with such a small population to choose from, I don't see the minor variants mattering much.

And side note, those stickers just don't appeal to me. I'd rather have a hangtab with factory plastic, and if that's cheaper, then win-win in my book.

The vga census has all kinds of errors in it variant wise.    You can't trust it.   

Edited: 07/28/2017 at 11:19 AM by Bronty

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:18:29 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Which one do you have?

https://imgur.com/gallery/v8Pxf

Yes! That's the very first print! (and that Mario Arcade too, holyshit!) I'm happy it exists. Probably the only one in that condition.
That Super Mario Bros. (and I know the arcade too) must be one of the most valuable video game pieces.

Some people don't care about the sticker sealed variant, but for me it definetly adds value. I can't afford to collect those sealed, but for my CIB collection I'd pay a high premium for a sticker sealed box in very good condition with a nice cut on the sticker seal and I'd say the sticker seal is a major variant, it's not like the sticker is thrown away like the shrink wrap when you open the game and it marks the first print. The Rev-A vs non Rev-A is also just a small text on the box and most collectors care a lot about it. I think the "TM" vs no "TM" on the front of the box adds that kind of difference too.

People care.  ezcept Jone.   And unless he was selling one  

Edited: 07/28/2017 at 11:33 AM by Bronty

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:24:28 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
The truth is, people are still figuring this stuff out. I collected for a long time before I understood that hangtabs came first. I collected for a long time after that before I realized stickers came first. Never saw any. And then I collected until yesterday without knowing there were further delineations.

Same as it took people a while to figure out what the true first zeldas and mega mans are. Those true first zeldas and megamans go for a huge premium despite almost imperceptible changes; only an idiot would sell a true first SMB for the price of a third.   The market will figure it out in time.

Edited: 07/28/2017 at 11:25 AM by Bronty

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:32:30 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

The vga census has all kinds of errors in it variant wise.    You can't trust it.   

Considering the sticker seals are 10x rarer than regular hangtabs I'll respectfully disagree.   They are the first versions and I've probably seen a dozen TOTAL for ALL titles in the last 15 years.   It's incredible that a copy from 1985 could survive unmolested when these things went from stores to 8 year olds in complete sell outs.  

Well let's not exaggerate here.  Last year alone that guy had 5 or 6, Soccer and Clu Clu come to mind.  I'm sure you saw more than 6 in the previous 14 years, memory has a way of failing us.  I can't recall seeing a huge influx of sealed Black Box hangtabs during that period either.  

If someone is so educated on the stickers, aren't there stickers without plastic and then stickers with plastic wrap?  Maybe Stack-Up?  Not sure, since I don't pay that much attention.

Also, why would a title like Dragon Warrior get a sticker seal in Canada but not in the USA?  I think Ice Hockey may be that way too but I'm just going from memory here. I've never seen anyone give a proper explanation as to why / how some games got stickers (other than being early prints).  If someone knows that history then I'd be glad to listen to it.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:34:55 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Not exaggerating . I'm counting those. Say 15 tops then.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:36:44 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Considering the sticker seals are 10x rarer than regular hangtabs I'll respectfully disagree.   They are the first versions and I've probably seen a dozen TOTAL for ALL titles in the last 15 years.   It's incredible that a copy from 1985 could survive unmolested when these things went from stores to 8 year olds in complete sell outs.  

Well let's not exaggerate here.  Last year alone that guy had 5 or 6, Soccer and Clu Clu come to mind.  I'm sure you saw more than 6 in the previous 14 years, memory has a way of failing us.  I can't recall seeing a huge influx of sealed Black Box hangtabs during that period either.  

If someone is so educated on the stickers, aren't there stickers without plastic and then stickers with plastic wrap?  Maybe Stack-Up?  Not sure, since I don't pay that much attention.

Also, why would a title like Dragon Warrior get a sticker seal in Canada but not in the USA?  I think Ice Hockey may be that way too but I'm just going from memory here. I've never seen anyone give a proper explanation as to why / how some games got stickers (other than being early prints).  If someone knows that history then I'd be glad to listen to it.

Stack up is the only one.   They wrapped unsold sticker inventory when stack up wasn't selling and they got the equipment is my theory.   

All canadian releases got stickers; nothing special about them in a Canadian context 

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:41:44 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Not exaggerating . I'm counting those. Say 15 tops then.

I'm talking US releases only of course.   Maybe your confusion is you think I'm counting Cdn but no 

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:48:19 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

Stack up is the only one.   They wrapped unsold sticker inventory when stack up wasn't selling and they got the equipment is my theory.   

All canadian releases got stickers; nothing special about them in a Canadian context 

So in the case of Stack-Up, let's say you have a Sticker seal with plastic wrap.  Plastic looks like shit, it's an VGA 80, but box integrity is excellent.  You know it's a 2nd print.  Then can't you just remove the plastic, regrade, get 85+ and be considered a "1st print"?  That is asinine.  Thankfully it only applies to that game but something to be weary about.

Why would Canada get stickers though?  Take a game like DW, came out in 1986.  It didn't come sticker sealed USA.  So stickered were no longer being used here, but they just decided to apply them to CAN versions for some reason?  If the manufacturing process had moved to cellophane I cannot think of any logical reason why stickers would be used up there?  Unless a USA distribution center changed their manufacturing process before the Canadian center did?

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:04:23 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
re stack up. Your double sealed stack up IS a first print.

It has wrap on it which was put on early but not at initial manufacture IMO.   I guess we could confirm that but that's my belief; that they reseated the unsold stock.   (And didn't bother to remove the sticker).

All the US Bb's have sticker seal releases except for the last three releases as I recall.

There are also no third party games that were sticker only. So you can date the end of the sticker seals to between June 86 (second wave of bb's) and 9/86 (first third party releases).

In Canada that sealing equipment was used until like 92 or something. I haven't charted it but it's late, and it's for first party releases only because only they seem to have put out bilingual boxes. Suggesting that either due to place of manufacture or distribution deal (Mattel; which is why you seenrhe mattel on the Cdn boxes) we got unique boxes, but first party only.

As for stickers in the first place, that's how they sealed game n watches before NES came out. So they used that equipment at first because it's what they already had. I'm sure Canada and other markets were lower priority

Edited: 07/28/2017 at 07:32 PM by Bronty

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:10:27 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
To me the most likely scenario is that they upgraded the sealing equipment for the US in 86 but used it for Canada until the early 90s because well it was paid for and we are a small enough market that the equipment would be sufficient for the quantity. Not possible in the US where sales were exploding in a large market.  New equipment was required there due to the volume of sales being way above game n watch sealing capacity

Edited: 07/28/2017 at 12:12 PM by Bronty

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:17:48 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

So in the case of Stack-Up, let's say you have a Sticker seal with plastic wrap.  Plastic looks like shit, it's an VGA 80, but box integrity is excellent.  You know it's a 2nd print.  Then can't you just remove the plastic, regrade, get 85+ and be considered a "1st print"?  That is asinine.  Thankfully it only applies to that game but something to be weary about.

Why would Canada get stickers though?  Take a game like DW, came out in 1986.  It didn't come sticker sealed USA.  So stickered were no longer being used here, but they just decided to apply them to CAN versions for some reason?  If the manufacturing process had moved to cellophane I cannot think of any logical reason why stickers would be used up there?  Unless a USA distribution center changed their manufacturing process before the Canadian center did?

Also, dragon warrior did not come out until much later.   That's the famicom release date.   

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:21:52 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
^ in 85 you have black boxes only
^ in 86 you have Bbs only for most of the year, then a few titles like the three bandais (NK, muscle, CC), the a few others like GNG. The reason you don't see stuff like chubby cherub sealed is because it's a dead early game that wasn't reprinted.
^ 87 you still have a couple bb's coming out but by now it's full steam ahead.

Dragon warrior is way later; 1989.