gameboy homebrew?

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:33:46 AM
!damage! (71)
(Dane .) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin

I know people have been working on GBA stuff - found here:

http://www.gbadev.org/

http://forum.gbadev.org/

has anyone done any original gameboy stuff?

what would you need to do that?

-------------------------
Dibin: I'm here for tits.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:16:23 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Original gameboy stuff would be similar to programming original NES stuff (except for Z80 instead of a 6502).
Basically, anybody that has programmed assembly for the TI graphing calculators would be well equipped to do gameboy. There is a huge resource out there for TI programming. I'm sure some of the graphics instructions or memory instructions may be different, but the major stuff for the processor should be identical ( much like C64 and NES are similar to an extent ).

GBA (and later) is nice, though because it's compiled from C++. High level languages are SO easy by comparison to writing in assembly.

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:40:13 AM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
I'm not sure how you'd get the game onto the cart when you are done. I know I'm no good at surface mount soldering.

I've got a dev cart (probe?) at home that I believe is setup so that you can upload/run using a cable to connect a computer to the gameboy. However I think in my case, its a GBC version. I've honesty never tried.

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:04:12 PM
skem (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(jared ayo) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I knew there was one started, I believe it was missing a few levels and music

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:07:12 PM
burnambill333 (0)
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: albailey

I'm not sure how you'd get the game onto the cart when you are done. I know I'm no good at surface mount soldering.

I've got a dev cart (probe?) at home that I believe is setup so that you can upload/run using a cable to connect a computer to the gameboy. However I think in my case, its a GBC version. I've honesty never tried.

Al

You could use a flash cartridge for now, just to test out the game on actual hardware as you are developing it to make sure it's working properly. Of course you couldn't use flash carts to mass produce them (to sell), though at least you could use flash carts as a dev tool to test your game.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:20:11 PM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
LSDJ comes to mind...

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:06:53 PM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
I've done a bit of gameboy dev years ago, quite fun at the time. There's a C compiler with the GBDK libraries I think that makes it quite easy to get up and running. I wrote the original Chunkout using the C compiler (the difference between the GBC and the GB is really just some palette stuff).

A flash cart will come in handy for hardware testing, emulators will work for most testing though.

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:22:16 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Cool. Didn't realize there was a C compiler for GB. I wonder why that never came about for the NES? Is the instruction set for the 6502 that much worse to deal with compared to the Z80? Or does the Z80 just have a larger programmer-base?

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:41:44 PM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
I believe (not 100% at off the top of my head) that the Z80 had more registers that make C a bit more functional, also there just appears to be a bigger community for the Gameboy working on the libraries. There is a NES C compiler, it just doesn't really have the same level of library support to make anything useful.

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:27:52 AM
MarioShroomed (0)
(Daniel Powers) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
another question. If somebody does to original game boy, can it be colored? and will it work on a super game boy?