Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

New blog about my journey to beat NES games 162 games completed and counting

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:00:56 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Very cool. Seems like you're dusting off a 4 year old thread and project here?
I like the Razor Ramon avatar too. Its a very daunting task to do all NES games. Do you plan to do them all?

-------------------------

?What are the weirdest games on NES? - What are the weirdest games on SNES
Game Boy Run: 24/40 - Nintendo NES Run: 48/48
Latest game beaten: Skate Or Die: Bad 'N Rad (1990)

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:09:15 PM
Hoskat (11)
(Matt Hosley) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Svankmajer

I like the Razor Ramon avatar too. Its a very daunting task to do all NES games. Do you plan to do them all?

I have actually been consistenly playing games since I originally made the thread 4 years ago but for some reason haven't been updating the thread when I make a new post. I plan on starting to post in this thread with each new game beaten.

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:24:08 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Hoskat

Originally posted by: Svankmajer

I have actually been consistenly playing games since I originally made the thread 4 years ago but for some reason haven't been updating the thread when I make a new post. I plan on starting to post in this thread with each new game beaten.

Okay, yes, please do. There's also a thread here where we collectively beat every NES games every year. If you beat one thats on that list you could note it there too. 

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:41:44 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Re. your Kung Fu review: "There are only 5 levels in the game and it can easily be beaten in less than 5 minutes with some practice. Like a lot of early games there is no depth it is just simple arcade action."

It's an arcade game so it's all about high score or seeing how many loops you can do. The enemies keep getting harder with every subsequent loop. Try rolling the score. That's not so easy.

Here's a video (not mine, I wish I was as good as Tom) to show how much depth this game actually has.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:40:17 PM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky
The game I've been playing for the past couple of months is still on the unbeaten list. Hopefully I knock it out before someone else does  

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:42:29 PM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky
Originally posted by: mbd39

Re. your Kung Fu review: "There are only 5 levels in the game and it can easily be beaten in less than 5 minutes with some practice. Like a lot of early games there is no depth it is just simple arcade action."

It's an arcade game so it's all about high score or seeing how many loops you can do. The enemies keep getting harder with every subsequent loop. Try rolling the score. That's not so easy.

Here's a video (not mine, I wish I was as good as Tom) to show how much depth this game actually has.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kgR..." width="500">>

I absolutely agree with everything you said. Because there are so many things trying to gain my attention I have unfortunately had to play games at face value and if there is an ending I consider that the end. There was a time (pre-marriage, kids, full time job and Netflix) where I would play a game over and over trying to best my score. I lost dozens of hours to Gemoetry Wars and Tetris in college.

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:13:44 AM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
In a way there are two competing definitions of "depth" in popular usage -- one involving the amount of content (and maybe customizability) a game has; the other, the extent to which gameplay mechanics reward practice/mastery, exhibit emergent behavior, allow for things the designers didn't seem to expect, or otherwise offer more than first meets the eye.

Neither definition is wrong, really; it's just a question of where your priorities lie. I suppose neither form of depth means much if you don't "click" with a game, since neither loads of content nor well-thought-out mechanics matter much if you don't find yourself compelled to spend time with a game.

Anyway, nice blog and nice project! Glad to know of another person aiming to "beat 'em all", and to have another prospective contributor to the NES thread.  

Aug 13, 2018 at 8:20:04 AM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky
https://hoz14nes.wordpress.com/20...

Just knocked out Destination Earthstar. This is the game that has taken me the longest to beat (about 3 months). It wouldn't have taken nearly as long if I had more time to play and didn't go discouraged after each loss. But, I am happy to say that one of the harder games is now in my rearview.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:17:14 AM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky
I can't believe it has been nearly 3 months since I beat a game. I've been working on The Mutant Virus but as a lot of you on the forum know that game is an impossible nightmare. I'm still plugging away but decided to play another game just to rebuild my confidence.

Last night I knocked out BASEBALL:

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:36:31 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I can't believe it has been nearly 3 months since I beat a game. I've been working on The Mutant Virus but as a lot of you on the forum know that game is an impossible nightmare. I'm still plugging away but decided to play another game just to rebuild my confidence.

Last night I knocked out BASEBALL:

https://hoz14nes.wordpress.com/2018/11/10/baseball/

We played Mutant Virus for the weekly contests. I hated it so much. Monotonous gameplay. Aggravating controls.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:57:31 AM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Ah. How far are you into Mutant Virus? Do you hate it like mr Mbd39 here is? Its a weird game. I think I only beat it by a strike of luck.

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:38:02 PM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky
I'm on level 4 of The Mutant Virus. I have completed every room but just can't seem to do it on the same play through.

I've read the thread here on the game and studied The Mexican Runner's video playing through the game.

I actually like the game alright, I just hate there is no real strategy as the virus seems to have a mind of its own. Some rooms are a piece of cake on one play through and impossible on the next.

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:43:34 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
I see. I remember having the NES on for a week so I wouldn't have to play the previous levels again.

I've sort of rejected there's a golden strategy with Mutant Virus personally. At least in the sense that would make it possible to speedrun. (Guitarzombie still think there is.)

Some rooms it can be strategical to do in certain orders I found, and obviously the quicker you can do a room the better - so being speedy and effective helps, but beyond that I think persistence and a lot of luck.

Its a fascinating game though due to its difficulty, obscurity and mystery in how to actually play it.

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:34:59 AM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky

The Mutant Virus has FINALLY been defeated!!!!!!!!

Jan 08 at 10:57:29 AM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky
Contra Force has been completed:

Feb 13 at 3:47:32 PM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky
Dragon Fighter is finished!

Mar 01 at 11:17:31 AM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky
#156 - Roadblasters is done:

Mar 01 at 11:27:13 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

https://hoz14nes.wordpress.com/2019/02/28/roadblasters/

I've beaten this multiple times for the annual NA "beat every NES game" thread. I've only played through all 50 stages once. Subsequently I just skip most of them. Your review is spot on. It's not bad and not great. It's okay. Once you know to keep your score multiplier high you can breeze through most of the game. The stages that start you out with almost no fuel can be a little challenging. And then for the last two stages you can just shoot like crazy because your fuel reserve no longer matters.

When I played the entire game I thought that rally 42 was the toughest with rally 49 also being up there.

Mar 01 at 1:35:15 PM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky

I've beaten this multiple times for the annual NA "beat every NES game" thread. I've only played through all 50 stages once. Subsequently I just skip most of them. Your review is spot on. It's not bad and not great. It's okay. Once you know to keep your score multiplier high you can breeze through most of the game. The stages that start you out with almost no fuel can be a little challenging. And then for the last two stages you can just shoot like crazy because your fuel reserve no longer matters.

When I played the entire game I thought that rally 42 was the toughest with rally 49 also being up there.

I'm not sure why I didn't mention it in my review but the level that consistently caused me the most trouble was 26. There wasn't a specific part that hung me up but I found my success rate was well below 50% on that stage. Playing the way I did I never came across stage 42. I think I would have played this game a lot if I had grown up with it, but with over 500 games left to beat and a family and a job and being a grownup I have to settle for beating it any way I can without cheating and moving on...

Mar 01 at 2:59:31 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I'm not sure why I didn't mention it in my review but the level that consistently caused me the most trouble was 26. There wasn't a specific part that hung me up but I found my success rate was well below 50% on that stage. Playing the way I did I never came across stage 42. I think I would have played this game a lot if I had grown up with it, but with over 500 games left to beat and a family and a job and being a grownup I have to settle for beating it any way I can without cheating and moving on...

I really can't blame you for skipping most stages. It's not worth playing through the entire thing unless you're a completist or going for high score. The only time I played all 50 was when it was featured in the NA weekly contests.

Apr 11 at 10:32:29 PM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky
Knocked off one of the longer sports games on the system and it was pleasantly one of the best sports games and one I'd never played before:

NES Open Tournament Golf

Apr 28 at 2:51:47 PM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky
Just finished up Galaga: Demons of Death

Since the game doesn't have a true ending I just played for a while and considered it beaten. I got as far as Stage 12 and around 70,000 points.

Apr 29 at 8:18:36 AM
MegaManAmiibo (0)
(Mega Man) < Crack Trooper >
Mexico
Tetris   level 30

Jul 04 at 11:00:28 PM
Hoskat (11)
Kentucky
#160 - R.C. Pro-Am completed

This one took WAY longer than I expected.

Jul 04 at 11:29:08 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

#160 - R.C. Pro-Am completed

This one took WAY longer than I expected.

https://hoz14nes.wordpress.com/2019/07/04/r-c-pro-am/

Damn that was an entertaining read about how you guys used a game genie to prove that RC Pro Am never ends.

That game is brutal. We played it for the weekly contests a couple years ago and it took me a bunch of tries to even get the 20k participation score.