Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Vote: Category Organization Changes Change it? Keep it as-is? Rock the Vote!

LOCKED TOPIC

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:25:11 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Max (Ray) Frisbee) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: CUSTOM NES GUY

2, yes, and yes.

I'll mimic this.

-------------------------

[18:07] osg: It is my lifelon goal to be in everyone's signature

Current project: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:26:54 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Are we really arguing about this? I'd visit the proto section more than the homebrew section and I own exactly 0 games that belong to either category. You don't have to post to be interested in the topic and NA has plenty of lurkers.

I'm pretty sure Dain wanted this thread to be about feedback and voting rather than meanless arguing. If you don't want to visit it fine, but obviously the overwhelming majority feel it would be a decent addition to the site.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:29:27 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: AllYourBase

Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Originally posted by: AllYourBase

1) Option 2 looks the best.

2) I like this idea - NA Auctions tend to get drown out in the B/S/T forum.

3) A huge No to the Proto subforum... Do we really need a subforum that only 1% of the community (or less) will use? I have a strong feeling that the only people that will actually post regularly in it are Beaglepuss, Mr.Mark, and maybe one or two other people.

I'm not putting down Protos or anything, they're cool as hell, but it's such a Niche thing that I can guarentee you right now that it will get practically zero use after the novelty has worn off in a couple weeks.

I'm stupified that it has gotten 31 yes's, to be perfectly honest.

I think you're considering prototype owners instead of prototype enthusiast.  Not only do we have collectors like Mark and myself, but also plenty of members that just find them interesting.  Keep in mind that Ian was the one that initially suggested the idea. 

There are a TON of members here that actively collect prototypes, so I don't think it will just be the two of us chatting away.  From what I understand there's some "DreamTR" fellow that is apparently into that sort of stuff too.

DP has a very active prototype sub forum, and in my eyes it's the best part of the message board there.  There are daily post, discoveries, and discussions.  That sub-forum has been alive and well for YEARS, and the novelty doesn't seem to have fizzled out yet.

I think the results speak for themselves, and I'm amped that I'm not the only member looking forward to the new sub-forum.

You must've missed my last post - I find Protos interesting too. I'm always excited when I hear about a new proto being discovered.

I know Dream collects protos. I didn't say that it would be just You and Mr.Mark talking in the subforum together. Please re-read my original post.

And, thank you for pointing out the DP Proto forum, it will illustrate my point nicely.

The DP prototype forum concerns Prototypes from every single system... not just Nintendo systems. Plus, DP has a far larger user base than NA does. And still, there's a thread on the First Page of the DP Proto subforum whose last post was August 18th. That's over two months. I do not consider a forum that can't bump a thread off the first page over a full 2 Full Month period "Very Active".

Now, take those factors and apply them to a NintendoAge Proto Forum. NA has a smaller user base, and the Proto discussion will be cut down from 10-20 systems to 2-3 systems, due to the nature of this being a Nintendo site. So, how long will it take for a thread to leave the first page in the Proto section in NA if it takes over 2 months on DP? Six months maybe?

I rest my case.

I think a lot of what you're saying is true, but I think you're missing some points. 

So there is a post from August on the main page on the DP proto forum?  Well there are post from MAY in our events and gathering section.  All of that discussion could take place in classic discussion as well, but I don't see you suggesting that we do away with that forum. 

If you look at the amount of post versus the amount of topics, I think you can easily make the argument that the DP prototype forum is very active.

In the past year and a half I've purchased seven unreleased prototypes myself.  That only should give people plenty to talk about. 

If you don't want the forum, that's not only cool but completely understandable as well.  As far as resting your case is concerned, by the looks of the poll results you appear to be in the minority.

Ultimately, I think you're a very cool guy and a valued member of the community.  I hope I don't come off as completely catty here, and if I push any buttons I sincerely apologize.  I'm just really excited to finally get a prototype forum in the works, that's all.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:33:03 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
Hello, I will post in your prototypes forum if you make it.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:41:43 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: jonebone

Are we really arguing about this?

That was my bad.  I didn't mean for my initial post to sound so snide, but in rereading it I should have worded things better.  I apologize for the side-tracking.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:43:48 PM
Airlock (19)
(- Gordon -) < El Ripper >
Indiana
As far as benefit vs detriment, it's hard to argue that it's better not to have something at all than to give it a try and see what happens. Nobody will hold it against you if you don't care to participate, and it will even give you a means to filter such threads out so you don't have to see them at all if you don't want to.

On the plus side, for all of those who are interested in protos, it will both encourage more posting on the subject as well as making threads on the subject easier to find. It might even attract a few new users to the site from DP and other sites who are obsessed with the subject. There's no guarantee of that, obviously, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

Edited: 10/21/2009 at 01:44 PM by Airlock

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:44:01 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Seriously guys...it's not like it costs anything beyond what it already does to have an extra subforum.

AllYourBase, would one more line on the main page really screw up your visit to NAge?

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:44:25 PM
thenickross (134)
(nick ross) < King Solomon >
United States
If it ain't broke..... I do think a proto section would be nice though. I know I wouldn't have anything to contribute, but I love reading about them.

Yes, that's me in my avatar. 

Edited: 10/21/2009 at 01:45 PM by thenickross

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:46:49 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
I really like the look of option 2. It makes things look a little more organized than they do at present.

I think that with plans to eventually implement The Exchange, an auction subforum is pointless, but a prototype forum would be cool (though I don't think it would get much use).

Currently Playing: L.A. Noire
Currently Listening: Tyler the Creator - Goblin
Currently Watching: Workaholics, 5 Deadly Venoms

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:55:12 PM
Ack71 (36)
(Jason Lynch) < Meka Chicken >
Canada
All i want is for Latest Topics to read more topics. Sometimes Im away for a day or two and its kind of hard to keep up with all the stuff that I missed.

I need 1 more fire orange n64 controller and I have it all!
"sqoon's don't exactly grow on trees." - Bronty

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:55:49 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: airlock78
making threads on the subject easier to find.

I think this is the most important facet of the sub-forum.  I've done SO much homework trying to track down prototypes, and this would take a lot of legwork out of the equation.  Some of my best prototype purchases stemmed from me perusing the DP proto forum.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:05:50 PM
The Bear (57)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Option 2.
Yes.
Yes.

I think all those changes would be wonderful.

Creator of Bits & GloryYouTube | Twitch | TwitterInstagram | Facebook

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:11:46 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
I too apologize for the arguing.

BeaglePuss, I've seen the dedication that you and Mr.Mark (as well as Dream and others) have towards collecting protos, and I have nothing but respect for you guys for that. Hell, you guys are even cool enough to do releases of your Protos for NA, which is an amazing gift to the community. I'm sorry if I said anything to offend you.

I do agree that it would make the site slightly more organized, and the addition of the subforum definitely wouldn't take anything away from the site.

Hell, I suppose if I came across a proto in the wild, I'd want to post about it in a dedicated section... maybe it is a good idea.

Again, I apologize if I inadvertently offended anyone, or if I came off as being pissy or anything like that.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:43:26 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
I love option 2! Concise, to the point, and it's similar to other forums that break things up this way that I think people are used to. However I would also say that I don't see anything wrong with the way it is now.
Love NA Auctions idea as well and would hope that would flow right into when NageAuctions goes live one day.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:50:13 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
keep as-is
yes
yes

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:52:55 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

Hello, I will post in your prototypes forum if you make it.

This alone should persuade people that it's a good idea. Thanks Frank!

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:16:57 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
Keep as is, don't want to go through any unnecessary extra screens to get to where I want to. As is, I have this site favorited right on the forum menu, straight to where I need to be.

But any additional sections is fine by me.

Edited: 10/21/2009 at 03:20 PM by Miss Clawful

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:49:08 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I'm really glad to hear all of the constructive feedback on this, thanks!

I also like Option 2 and adding a proto section, but was a bit hesitant on the Auction subforum idea, only because there are items in the works that will eventually make this pointless. But those items are not in the immediate future and will take some time, and having a place to auction items without them getting buried by the BST area might be a good thing until Age Exchange is open. Once Age Exchange is open, we'll merge the NA Auctions and BST subforums back to how they are now, just to keep the old data around. So I see adding an NA Auctions category as a temporary thing.

I want you to know that I don't take changes lightly and had it not been for a 50+ percentage of the votes in favor of all 3 changes, we simply wouldn't do them.

I'll keep the voting going for the rest of today and tomorrow, and please keep the comments coming if you have anything to add to this discussion.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:16:48 PM
i2a2n2 (39)
(Ian B.) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
just my 2 cents just like my suggestion in the thread I started the proto section wouldn't have to be just proto stuff it could also be used for dev hardware, rarer in house items, documentation, who worked on what development wise, etc and that would also mean that it wouldn't have to be just nintendo releated even those this is a nintendo forum, just the more information available or outlets to make it so information is available the better or easier

My NWC High Score 661 950  Jan 19th 2010

---------Wanted: SNES PROTOTYPES !!! PM Me-----------

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:31:57 PM
paulyshobby (90)
(Paul LaMalfa) < Ridley Wrangler >
New Hampshire
option 2, yes, yes

Check out my eBay/Amazon stores!
http://www.paulyshobby.com...

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:06:03 PM
OzNEScollector (80)
(O z) < Kraid Killer >
Australia
2, yes , yes.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:44:42 PM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
1- Keep it as is. I don't have to scroll down now to browse the forum, and I am lazy. I would probably scroll down if there's a forum I especially like at the bottom but I know me, and if it's just 'NA News' and 'Holy Shit Help Me I'm An Idiot' at the bottom I'll miss all sorts of news and opportunities to impart my special brand of wisdom. This is especially true if you use option 1. I doubt I'd click through to as many subforums as I do now.

That said, option 2 is better if a change is really in order.

2&3- don't care

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:09:22 PM
superNESman (102)
(Deniz "Alpo The Great" Kahn) < Bowser >
Illinois
I'm pretty indifferent about the proto section, sure it would be nice, but I read all proto-related topics anyways whenever they do come up, which isn't as often as other ones. Love the threads, not sure if they require another sub-forum.

Definitely a NA auction section IMO.

I LOVE option 2, definitely not option 1, and if it didn't change I would be perfectly ok.

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:39:31 PM
GameboyRicky (149)
(Ricky ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Texas
I voted:

Keep it as-is
Yes to NA auction sub
Yes to Proto sub

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:03:23 AM
Super Slash (0)
(Jesse Winstead) < Lolo Lord >
Louisiana
Option 1 is unnecessary. Option 2 is pretty cool, so I'm going with that.
Don't care
Sure