Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Happy Ebay Sales Tax Day!!!

Jul 02 at 7:43:30 AM
ExplodedHamster (183)
(Joe Dirt) < King Solomon >
United States
An extra 6% thus far on all the new items I’ve bought, what a treat!

Have a good day everyone!!

Jul 02 at 7:53:44 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
I'm confused. Did they charge you a fee on stuff you just bought or did they send you an invoice?

-------------------------
Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Jul 02 at 10:29:54 AM
snk2d4ever (70)
(Chris M) < Crack Trooper >
Indiana
The tax is added on checkout. It's based on the shipping destination.

Jul 02 at 11:17:24 AM
LaC (96)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: ExplodedHamster

An extra 6% thus far on all the new items I’ve bought, what a treat!

Have a good day everyone!!

You know are supposed to pay sales tax on items where you weren't charged for, right?  
So look on the bright side... you haven't been paying sales tax for years and got away with it. You've been successfully cheating the government and all the money we need to send our kids to school.  

This reminds me of when I bought my NES in 1986.  I was 8 and had $100 to spend.  My mom told me it was gonna cost $105.  She covered the remaining. That day I learned what sales tax was and how to calculate percentages thanks to buying my NES. 

-------
Eprom

WTB
FS/FT

Edited: 07/02/2019 at 11:18 AM by LaC

Jul 02 at 12:11:14 PM
rdools (91)
(Rick Dools) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Be glad you don't have to deal with the bull shit that is ebays Global Shipping Program. I wish it was only an additional 6% ..

Jul 02 at 1:43:42 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
It's gonna be a mess if buyers start leaving feedback dinging the sellers for the added sales tax that wasn't mentioned in the listing. As a seller, you don't even see the tax part of the money (which is super convenient, don't get me wrong), but I wonder if all buyers understand that eBay is responsible for the hidden fee, not the sellers.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Jul 02 at 5:06:11 PM
LutherDestroysTheGond (85)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
I already claimed a standard amount for Use Tax so I'll just lower that amount now. Hopefully the revenue can help out the states/municipalities

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Jul 02 at 5:09:29 PM
Jim Jimmer (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Originally posted by: rdools

Be glad you don't have to deal with the bull shit that is ebays Global Shipping Program. I wish it was only an additional 6% ..

This

Jul 03 at 2:43:53 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
send it to me. i'm in oregon. no sales tax here!

eBay listings here

Jul 03 at 9:50:48 AM
nrslam (13)

(Ron S) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
6%? Amateurs! We get dinged 10% here.

Jul 03 at 10:17:57 AM
Nesmaniac (3)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
I noticed it with my last purchase which was a lowes coupon code for .99 and at checkout $1.05. I've not been buying much lately anyways and this will only help keep my spending a bit more in check online. Amazon and all these big online retailers have gotten away without sales tax for years and it's hurt a lot of the other retail chains unfair competition so I guess it's only fair. Ebay deals in so many flea market type items I think tax on there should not be unless it is listings of new retail items but no way could they figure out how to differentiate it so easier for all to collect sales tax.

Jul 03 at 10:21:49 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Nesmaniac

I noticed it with my last purchase which was a lowes coupon code for .99 and at checkout $1.05. I've not been buying much lately anyways and this will only help keep my spending a bit more in check online. Amazon and all these big online retailers have gotten away without sales tax for years and it's hurt a lot of the other retail chains unfair competition so I guess it's only fair. Ebay deals in so many flea market type items I think tax on there should not be unless it is listings of new retail items but no way could they figure out how to differentiate it so easier for all to collect sales tax.

Yeah we'd start seeing even weirder listing practices.

"Used GBA SP CIB (S3ALED! N3W!)"

Lol

Edited: 07/03/2019 at 10:22 AM by Gloves

Jul 15 at 12:14:12 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Does anyone in Canada know why some listings are now showing $0.00 for GSP import fees even though the items may be high in price? For example I saw a game for $300 with $0 estimated import fees but others listed for significantly lower prices still have GSP import fees attached.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Jul 16 at 1:58:39 PM
rdools (91)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

Does anyone in Canada know why some listings are now showing $0.00 for GSP import fees even though the items may be high in price? For example I saw a game for $300 with $0 estimated import fees but others listed for significantly lower prices still have GSP import fees attached.

I noticed it too, I had noticed it was around the $100-200 range where it started up again. I havent purchased anything with it to confirm that they don't nail you at the end of the transaction with the fees after you have already commited to the purchase.

Jul 16 at 2:09:07 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada

I noticed it too, I had noticed it was around the $100-200 range where it started up again. I havent purchased anything with it to confirm that they don't nail you at the end of the transaction with the fees after you have already commited to the purchase.

I am about to find out... I saw a really good deal on eBay for a game around $300. I was about to ignore it as I saw it was from the US and part of the GSP but the fees said $0 so I bought it and there was no extra charge during checkout. The seller shipped it through USPS (maybe this has something to do with it) but I did get a confirmation email that it was processed through a GSP facility. I am willing to give it one try and see if there is a C.O.D when it arrives. The thing I don't understand is there were lots of other games for much less that had the fees you would expect... very strange. It's a hard thing to Google as you just end up with countless results bitching about the GSP and nothing about this specific answer that I could find.

Jul 16 at 2:54:52 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
I also noticed that ebay charges tax based off of the total, so item + shipping.

Jul 16 at 4:36:11 PM
rdools (91)
Ontario

I am about to find out... I saw a really good deal on eBay for a game around $300. I was about to ignore it as I saw it was from the US and part of the GSP but the fees said $0 so I bought it and there was no extra charge during checkout. The seller shipped it through USPS (maybe this has something to do with it) but I did get a confirmation email that it was processed through a GSP facility. I am willing to give it one try and see if there is a C.O.D when it arrives. The thing I don't understand is there were lots of other games for much less that had the fees you would expect... very strange. It's a hard thing to Google as you just end up with countless results bitching about the GSP and nothing about this specific answer that I could find.

Please let me know the outcome!

Jul 25 at 3:38:29 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada

No charge and it even had the correct value on the customs form ($250 USD). It definitely went through a GSP centre at the border. It was delivered to my mailbox so I'm not sure who the carrier was... Likely CP someone on their behalf. It seems from my case if you don't pay up front at the eBay checkout then you're good to go. I still don't know why the fees are zero for some listings.

Edited: 07/25/2019 at 03:39 PM by Andy_Bogomil

Jul 25 at 3:47:22 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
I noticed the auto-populated sales tax in eBay checkout invoices of items I've sold to Americans on eBay.com. I just go over it and set it to 0.0% before sending the invoice. Maybe this works for domestic eBay.com sellers, too, to save buyers the sales tax?

Jul 25 at 4:12:57 PM
rdools (91)
Ontario

No charge and it even had the correct value on the customs form ($250 USD). It definitely went through a GSP centre at the border. It was delivered to my mailbox so I'm not sure who the carrier was... Likely CP someone on their behalf. It seems from my case if you don't pay up front at the eBay checkout then you're good to go. I still don't know why the fees are zero for some listings.

Cool I will update here next time I order something GSP that is higher dollar.