Natendo (87)
(The artist formerly known as Nechestriah) < Ridley Wrangler >
Georgia
Discuss

-------------------------
youtube.com/user/natebit

WTB: 
Rescue Rangers 2 Manual  •  Fire N Ice Manual  •  Rad Racer 3D Glasses
Also, I'm always hunting for Complete Nintendo Powers and  loose Box/Manuals for NES - PM me if you have any extras!

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:17:53 PM
Bella (104)
(Bellatrix Lestrange) < Ridley Wrangler >
Alabama
As a shop owner and collector I can tell you this is absolutely your best bet!

We have local collectors and friends here that we try and keep an eye out on stuff for. Anyone on that list will never pay full blown "retail" for anything they snag from us. We would rather trade the Stunt Kids and DT2 for Mario stuff than cash most times anyway.

I have bigger balls than any man out there... They just sit two feet higher!

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:28:58 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
I can also attest to this being true. Even if you don't talk prices necessarily, if you're in your local shops enough the employees get to know you by what you purchase.

That's how I ended up with a CIB Earthbound. I was buying something else (I think Harvest Moon SNES for somebody here?), and the counter guy mentioned one of their other stores got it in. And they had it store transferred in for me!

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:44:39 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
This was my favorite article, a lot of good advice in here. Being able to break the ice with store/booth owners (or even just random people on Kijiji) has always been one of my strong suits with local hunting...hope my competition missed this article

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:53:50 PM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
The article sounds like it's geared toward relationships with pawn shop owners or thrift store owners. People who don't necessarily follow the value of games or their store doesn't focus on games.

I generally find it's just best not to annoy the people who run the place and try to be a gracious customer who doesn't demand too much.

I used to frequent two different places and would have different results based on the person working at the time. One place would put higher prices on stuff like Mario, but let stuff like Mega Man X3 slip by for $3. I usually just look through their stock, comment on how I enjoy shopping there because their prices are fair and buy a bunch when I can. Several times they have said "hey, I just got these and haven't put them out yet" which has led to some nice deals on Mega Man X2 and an Aero the Acrobat 2 for SNES.

The other pawn shop is more hit or miss. They have two locations, one run by mother one by daughter. The mother would always work out a deal, and one of her workers frequented the store I worked at, so deals were to be had. The daughter would refuse to deal. I would pick up a stack of 5 or so games and usually say "can you make me a deal?" The mother, and other workers would cut a few bucks off... the daughter would say "nope, they are already on sale" and refuse to give any sort of discount. I usually just walk out while she is there (her store closed and they are down to one)

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:00:12 PM
spunkyd99 (0)
(Jamie Alston) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
I liked the point in this article about not faking interest in a common game (while ignoring a rare game) hoping to fool the store owner into giving you that rare game for a lower price.

Spunk-A-Dunk