Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Who else collects coins here?

Oct 7, 2008 at 12:26:31 AM
!damage! (71)
(Dane .) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin

I have been for a long time, nothing to spectacular other than what i've found while working at gas stations... you wouldn't believe the shit you can get when some crackhead needs a pack of cigarettes

nothing too terribly rare, but it's a fun way to pass the time at work

all silver coins

2 eisenhowers, a crusty steel penny, a blank penny, 1888 indian head

all wheat pennies

old nickels

-------------------------
Dibin: I'm here for tits.

Oct 7, 2008 at 12:33:00 AM
gavmasterflash (47)
(dave g) < Ridley Wrangler >
Taiwan
I used to be way into it when I was younger, from around ages 7-12. I still have a lot of them left, and I have been collecting all the state quarters. I have most of them.

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:08:01 AM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I kept oddities I found when working at the bar. All sorts of strange shit winds up in the tip jar. I wouldn't say I collect it, though.

Actually, sometime during the summer I had to take the bus, and I guess I grabbed one of my Guatemalan 1 Quetzal coins out of my change jar in stead of  a 1 normal guy dollar coin. That country screwed me out of my bus ride *fist etc*

Edited: 10/07/2008 at 01:08 AM by OSG

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:13:25 AM
!damage! (71)
Wisconsin
I found a real weird one the other day, it was in a roll of quarters, about twice as thick, and has a crab on one side

I also found a cup of canadian change at work the other day too, lots of pennies, some nickels, and 3 quarters
my boss told a co-worker to mix it in with the regular change, so I said F that, and bought it all...

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:52:23 AM
gavmasterflash (47)
(dave g) < Ridley Wrangler >
Taiwan
Originally posted by: !damage!

my boss told a co-worker to mix it in with the regular change, so I said F that, and bought it all...

What a douche bag.

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:16:34 AM
OzNEScollector (80)
(O z) < Kraid Killer >
Australia
years ago when i was about 8 or 9 years old i found 1 "reis" from portugal and its dated 1884 which is pretty cool. i later found out that its still not worth much even though its 124 years old, i still have it somewhere. finding that sparked me into collecting coins but from memory i didnt do it for too much longer.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:09:00 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
I love my little coin purse full of silver. Makes me feel medieval to have a coin purse

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The last shot is the uncommon coins. All of this was from the till at either my store, or the old comic shop I used to manage.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:29:03 AM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
I have a nice size coin collection that was started by my grandfather, i'll try and take some pics when I get a chance.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:32:59 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
I used to as well, although I liked collecting bills more. Some of the art work on those older bills is pretty amazing, makes our new bills look pretty junky.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 7, 2008 at 8:27:41 AM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I've collected old coins and bills since about Christmas '91, when my parents gave me 52 coins they'd won at a live auction back in 1986 (I think). My collection grew somewhat rapidly...even to this day, I still have more coins in my collection than video games (about 2500 coins vs. about 1600 video games). I have coins and bills from about 115 different countries, as well. And one other somewhat surprising note...most of my best deals that I've had over the years have actually fallen under coins and bills. I bought a certain $10 bill from the Bahamas once, cost me $2 (so already a deal vs. its face value), but it turned out to be a rare variant worth at the time about $500. I also bought a very old Turkish gold coin (the date translated to 1802) for 50ยข (it was a very small coin...bullion value on it is only about $50 or so to this day). It remains the only gold coin in my collection.

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Oct 7, 2008 at 8:56:11 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I have a good pile of coins at home, but have been putting off picking out the numismatically valuable ones to sell and convert into a much greater quantity of bullion. I have a variety of old silver dollars that fall into that category.

Unless you have something incredibly rare, most of the 90% silver coins are worthwhile as bullion since they carry a low premium and they have a known silver content. In fact, you can buy them by the bag with a known silver content and very little markup over spot price.

I think it would be neat to have some gold coins, but other than krugerands they all have a really high markup. Instead we have some 24k gold jewelry my wife picked up in the middle east. When she bought it, they charged by the weight rather than the workmanship...it's a very interesting system.

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:48:36 PM
user42 (0)
(jo mama) < Little Mac >
United States
I had a bunch of silver coins (mostly quarters) but they were all taken when my apartment was robbed.

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:20:51 AM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
who all collects the state quaters. ive got half a roll of all of them that have come out

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:24:17 AM
!damage! (71)
Wisconsin
I don't, I was thinking about that, and the new gold dollars, but I like the old silver stuff more

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:18:53 AM
jaredkk (57)
(Jared Klinger) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I have a couple of Roman coins, like 2,000 year old Roman Empire coins.  I thought they'd be worth a mint, but it turns out they're pretty common.

Oct 8, 2008 at 7:07:16 AM
Xed (67)
(Sjoerd Rutten) < King Solomon >
Netherlands
i collect coins in mario!

i got some old dutch money like 5 guilder bills, 10 guilder coins and 2.5 guilder bills

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up" - C.S. Lewis

aka XtinctHeD and Dr. Retro

Dr. Retro Video Game Channel:  http://www.dr-retro.com...
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/psxco...
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/drretromd...
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/drretro..._
eBay store: http://stores.ebay.nl/Dr-Retros-G...
Playstation Collecting Community: http://www.playstationcollecting.... (browsable with your NA/SA account!)

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:38:26 AM
pompeyparsons (20)
(Patrick M) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
I don't collect coins but I did inherit some recently I should probably go through them and see what exactly I have one of these days. For now they're just sitting in a box.

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:24:02 AM
!damage! (71)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Xtincthed

i collect coins in mario!

speaking of that:

they must be in new york, because I can't imagine most clerks would act like that anywhere else