Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone else find the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance a weird custom?

Oct 13 at 4:48:32 PM
HerrWunderbar (0)

< Crack Trooper >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: cartman

Originally posted by: HerrWunderbar

Originally posted by: phart010

I don't think you should be obligated to stand for anything so yeah it's weird.

In America we only have the luxury of freedom to choose not to stand today because of the people who stood together (figuratively, not literally) and fought the American revolution for their freedoms.

Its funny though, many of the things that they fought the revolution for are slowly creeping back into society as homegrown issues. Things are still relatively good now, but I can see the potential for a grim future  

Nah you'd probably have that shit either way by now. I mean England seems to be doing pretty ok, no? And after all there was a civil war so clearly not everyone saw eye to eye domestically either. If the South won it there'd be a somewhat different political trajectory and yet still you'd then consider that version legitimate and baked in "freedom" sentiments for whatever cultural system that was in play today.

I think people read into and glamorize these things too much when in reality the connection to present day is probably vague as best. Blacks were slaves and discriminated - now they aren't. This notion that you only have fredom now because "Joe" did whatever-the-fuck-he-did 300 years ago is most likely fictional.

Someone doesn't live in the u.s. racial discrimination is a huge resurging issue. Also, England has brexit, so there's that.
It doesn't have the institutionalized discrimination that's what i'm talking about here. It used to be either juridically legitimate or a legitimized norm wich nowadays, it isn't. What does brexit have to do anything? 

You said England is doing okay. Racism is unfortunately still a huge problem in the u.s.

Oct 13 at 5:00:00 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
To answer the OP: Not really, I mean doesn't most every other country have a pledge/anthem/whatnot? I have to figure people in other countries (provided it's not some 3rd world authoritarian dictatorship or something) are just as proud and patriotic of their country as the people in the US are, right?

-------------------------
My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Oct 13 at 5:08:45 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Tulpa

It's always been steeped in controversy. And it hasn't always had the same words. Under God was added in 1954, about fifty years after the original was created.

Oh, and one of the creators suggested this salute.
But as we all know, Hitler had to go and plagarize this along with the Manji symbol (they just flipped it over) because apparently they couldn't come up with any original ideas in that regard.  

I almost forgot, in 5th grade our teacher mentioned how silly it was that we say the Pledge and not have any idea what it is we are saying and explained to us what each part means.  Two of the most famous renditions of what the Pledge means are from Red Skelton (plus Charlie Daniels' version of Skelton's story; Charlie is very much the real life John Wayne sort of true patriot) and from John Wayne:

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Oct 13 at 5:20:56 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Estil

To answer the OP: Not really, I mean doesn't most every other country have a pledge/anthem/whatnot?

Anthems, yes.

Pledges are uncommon.

Oct 13 at 5:22:35 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Trj22487

I miss when TV channels signed off for the night with the National Anthem
You mean something like this?

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Oct 13 at 5:24:04 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky

To answer the OP: Not really, I mean doesn't most every other country have a pledge/anthem/whatnot?
Anthems, yes. Pledges are uncommon.
What other countries DO have a pledge of allegance of some sort?  The kind school children traditionally did to start class I mean.

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Oct 13 at 5:29:55 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Anthems, yes. Pledges are uncommon.
What other countries DO have a pledge of allegance of some sort?  The kind school children traditionally did to start class I mean.

Mexico, Vietnam, and us. That's about it. Maybe one or two others out of nearly two hundred sovereign nations.

Like I said, pledges are uncommon.

Edited: 10/13/2019 at 05:30 PM by Tulpa

Oct 13 at 5:33:06 PM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < King Solomon >
Sweden

In America we only have the luxury of freedom to choose not to stand today because of the people who stood together (figuratively, not literally) and fought the American revolution for their freedoms.

Its funny though, many of the things that they fought the revolution for are slowly creeping back into society as homegrown issues. Things are still relatively good now, but I can see the potential for a grim future  

Nah you'd probably have that shit either way by now. I mean England seems to be doing pretty ok, no? And after all there was a civil war so clearly not everyone saw eye to eye domestically either. If the South won it there'd be a somewhat different political trajectory and yet still you'd then consider that version legitimate and baked in "freedom" sentiments for whatever cultural system that was in play today.

I think people read into and glamorize these things too much when in reality the connection to present day is probably vague as best. Blacks were slaves and discriminated - now they aren't. This notion that you only have fredom now because "Joe" did whatever-the-fuck-he-did 300 years ago is most likely fictional.

Someone doesn't live in the u.s. racial discrimination is a huge resurging issue. Also, England has brexit, so there's that.
It doesn't have the institutionalized discrimination that's what i'm talking about here. It used to be either juridically legitimate or a legitimized norm wich nowadays, it isn't. What does brexit have to do anything? 

You said England is doing okay. Racism is unfortunately still a huge problem in the u.s.
I don't think we're on the same page here. What i was talking about is the freedoms enjoyed today and the connotations some people make to what some people did way back in time (like the American revolution). I'd say the sentiment would've been pretty much the same if the other side won, and applied to that instead. Whether the revolution was crushed or America was two different countries or all of the states were separate countries or Canada never was a country it doesn't really matter. Because the individuals perspective would've been adjusted to wichever statehood he lives under and it would seem as the official/correct narrative. You wouldn't know any different.

That's the comparsion to England i made. The average Englishman enjoys a similar types of situation to the average American and yet the historical actors at play wanted to achieve different things. That's what i'm saying it doesn't actually play as much of a role as the glamorized sentiments make it out to do. Most of it is just fanfare.

Oct 13 at 6:17:35 PM
User123 (61)

< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
Didn't know NA had some many over sensitivity and over offended "men" to go as far as to letting the pledge of allegiance bother them.

SMH, I'll probably get some heat for this comment but does it matter when everyone is planning to leave anyways...

PS, yall the same people who go to a steak house and complain there's no vegan option. 

Edited: 10/13/2019 at 06:20 PM by User123

Oct 13 at 7:07:38 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
Absolutely. I didn't think much of it as a kid, but now I think it is a bizarre form of propaganda. It's also a clear violation of the separation of church and state. I do not support its use in schools or other public forums.

Current Project: NES NTSC CIB Set
Progress: ~550/678

WTB: CIB NES games. PM me if seeking a buyer. CLICK HERE TO SEE MY LIST.

WTB: NIB NES games so I can open them and add to the_wizard_666's Sealed Game Contents forum topic and FAQ @ https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes....

Edited: 10/13/2019 at 07:08 PM by DoctorEncore

Oct 13 at 7:19:05 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania

. I mean England seems to be doing pretty ok, no?.

In the UK you can actually go to jail for saying mean things over the internet. They're doing ok, if that's the type of place you wana live in. I'd rather stand for a pledge to my counties flag.

Oct 13 at 7:23:45 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I always thought it weird it mentions god. But I do t think it literally means -the flag-. A flag is symbolic in itself, so surly it intends you to figure the flag as a representative of the country. I havnt said it since school, I know that.

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Oct 13 at 7:46:50 PM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < King Solomon >
Sweden
You can loose your career and get ostracized at the drop of a hat for saying or doing things in America what are you talking about.

Oct 13 at 7:58:31 PM
Outdoormongoose (15)

< Little Mac >
Arizona

It made more sense to pledge allegiance when America was not the dominant superpower and its existence among other competing nations depended on the American people sticking together for the strength.

Nowadays the world is becoming more globalized. Regulations, standards, and institutional norms are getting pretty homogeneous among all westernized nations. So it may seem odd to be pledging allegiance to any one western country when we all seem to stand for the same things more or less

No.

Standards and industry regulations are not the same as government. The Republic of the Unitied States is very different than the rest of the Western countries. While you may think Europe stands for the same things as the United States, you would be very wrong as they do not practice it in reality. In the United States you have inalienable natural rights granted to you by nature...which is created by god so they can not be stripped away. By large, Europe does not have this at all and you don't have these rights. As an American, I have alliegence to the constitution that binds us all together and not the government by definition. The government we have currently aligns with the consitution so it's a legit government we obey. 

The pledge is:

"I pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation under God, indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all."

Followed by a moment of silence. 

You are pledging allegiance to the flag. A representation of the blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifice our forefathers gave to keep this country going. You are pledging to the Republic for which it stands based on the Constitution of the Unitied States...you are not pledging to the government. Of which, you are united under one common belief in god(natural rights) which can not be taken away so all my have liberty and justice. The separate of church and state is set so one religion can not dominate others. But, it still requires belief in a higher power of some sort. It does not say any specific god or any specific religion. 

You have the right against compelled speech....so you don't have to say anything. The government can't make you say anything you don't want to. But at the same time, others don't have to help you if you don't wish to be apart of the rest in alliegance. 

As for racism....that's just flat out wrong. The "racism" many of us see in the USA is caused by failed poor policies, bad cultural examples, the destroyed family structure, inability to understand history, and inability to understand culture clashing...among dozens of other reasons. "Institutionalized discrimination " is just a cover phrase for the above in order to just blame racism instead of fixing the problems that create the imbalance of race in the justice system.  

Oct 13 at 8:34:51 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: User123

Didn't know NA had some many over sensitivity and over offended "men" to go as far as to letting the pledge of allegiance bother them.

SMH, I'll probably get some heat for this comment but does it matter when everyone is planning to leave anyways...

PS, yall the same people who go to a steak house and complain there's no vegan option. 

Not sure what the quotes around "men" are for (I get the possible implication but not sure why it's being made).  And I think based on the majority of responses in the thread, we have established that there are some pretty valid reasons for having questions about the origin, relevance, and appropriateness of having children recite the pledge on a daily basis.  In general, I would like to think that anything you're told to do on a regular basis is worth questioning, especially if we are talking about the indocrination of children with ideas and commitments they don't fully understand.

I feel like this conversation is pretty different from the situation your postscript describes.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Oct 13 at 11:07:11 PM
m308gunner (63)
(Jason ) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Outdoormongoose

It made more sense to pledge allegiance when America was not the dominant superpower and its existence among other competing nations depended on the American people sticking together for the strength.

Nowadays the world is becoming more globalized. Regulations, standards, and institutional norms are getting pretty homogeneous among all westernized nations. So it may seem odd to be pledging allegiance to any one western country when we all seem to stand for the same things more or less

No.

Standards and industry regulations are not the same as government. The Republic of the Unitied States is very different than the rest of the Western countries. While you may think Europe stands for the same things as the United States, you would be very wrong as they do not practice it in reality. In the United States you have inalienable natural rights granted to you by nature...which is created by god so they can not be stripped away. By large, Europe does not have this at all and you don't have these rights. As an American, I have alliegence to the constitution that binds us all together and not the government by definition. The government we have currently aligns with the consitution so it's a legit government we obey. 

The pledge is:

"I pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation under God, indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all."

Followed by a moment of silence. 

You are pledging allegiance to the flag. A representation of the blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifice our forefathers gave to keep this country going. You are pledging to the Republic for which it stands based on the Constitution of the Unitied States...you are not pledging to the government. Of which, you are united under one common belief in god(natural rights) which can not be taken away so all my have liberty and justice. The separate of church and state is set so one religion can not dominate others. But, it still requires belief in a higher power of some sort. It does not say any specific god or any specific religion. 

You have the right against compelled speech....so you don't have to say anything. The government can't make you say anything you don't want to. But at the same time, others don't have to help you if you don't wish to be apart of the rest in alliegance. 

As for racism....that's just flat out wrong. The "racism" many of us see in the USA is caused by failed poor policies, bad cultural examples, the destroyed family structure, inability to understand history, and inability to understand culture clashing...among dozens of other reasons. "Institutionalized discrimination " is just a cover phrase for the above in order to just blame racism instead of fixing the problems that create the imbalance of race in the justice system.  
Well shit man, you stole all my points. I mean, there are volumes to say about the modern misunderstanding about the separation of church and state, the founding father's definite belief in the biblical God (with Jefferson belonging to a bible society), and so much more, but I've got to get up with a 4 month old in a few hours and can't lurk around the forums as much as I'd like anymore. Always enjoy the political/religious discussions 'round these parts. Hoping the new forum will support a little bit of that.

Oct 13 at 11:12:05 PM
m308gunner (63)
Connecticut
Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

Not sure what the quotes around "men" are for (I get the possible implication but not sure why it's being made).  And I think based on the majority of responses in the thread, we have established that there are some pretty valid reasons for having questions about the origin, relevance, and appropriateness of having children recite the pledge on a daily basis.  In general, I would like to think that anything you're told to do on a regular basis is worth questioning, especially if we are talking about the indocrination of children with ideas and commitments they don't fully understand.

I feel like this conversation is pretty different from the situation your postscript describes.

That has been the US's public school policy since the establishment of the Department of Education  . We went from a system based largely in Ciceronian education (train the citizen to be able to do any job he lays his hand to) to a meat grinder meant for future industrial slaves (train to do one job for the rest of your life, and get used to sitting at a desk, you future tax cattle you).

Oct 13 at 11:39:34 PM
punkr13 (115)
(B Rye) < King Solomon >
California

When talking to a vegan guy I know he says steakhouses have the best meals for vegans. Since most of their sides are veggies , you can get a good meal with that and salad

my art stuff: http://punkr13.deviantart.com/...

my FS thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Oct 14 at 8:20:41 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Just read the wiki on the POA. Interesting history. Polarizing topic for sure.

Oct 15 at 12:09:27 PM
rickrollcollector (133)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I want to say first that I am not trying to offend anyone here but as person who lived half of my life in US and the other in Russia. You Americans who were actually born here and don't have bilingual heritage take your "freedom" crap a little too far sometimes. You people have been divided for decades starting with your neighbors, stretching to your workplace, circle of friends and ending with your own families. This whole "freedom of mind and speech" damaged the American logic too severely. What people around the world admired about US nation is their approach to things with an open mind I am not talking about here that other individuals in other countries are not like that too but specifically about the country of US itself. This whole "individualism and I am special and unique" went too far in this country and people forgot how to be a company person and this and many other posts show that very well. Now due to globalism and how out world shrank through internet it effects others too.

Everything what I was told about Communism was a lie and everything about Capitalism was the truth.

Edited: 10/15/2019 at 12:10 PM by rickrollcollector

Oct 15 at 12:28:53 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
answering the question: nope.

but read everyone's projections on ritual (politics or religion) and it's an easy window on their ideology and how vested they are in that line of thought/belief.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Oct 15 at 12:59:15 PM
rickrollcollector (133)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: zi

but read everyone's projections on ritual (politics or religion) and it's an easy window on their ideology and how vested they are in that line of thought/belief.
No, not at all.
I want to say first that I am not trying to offend anyone here but as person who lived half of my life in US and the other in Russia. You Americans who were actually born here and don't have bilingual heritage take your "freedom" crap a little too far sometimes. You people have been divided for decades starting with your neighbors, stretching to your workplace, circle of friends and ending with your own families. This whole "freedom of mind and speech" damaged the American logic too severely. What people around the world admired about US nation is their approach to things with an open mind I am not talking about here that other individuals in other countries are not like that too but specifically about the country of US itself. This whole "individualism and I am special and unique" went too far in this country and people forgot how to be a company person and this and many other posts show that very well. Now due to globalism and how out world shrank through internet it effects others too.

I fixed it.

Everything what I was told about Communism was a lie and everything about Capitalism was the truth.

Oct 15 at 12:59:49 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: rickrollcollector

No, not at all.

I fixed it.

checkmate.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Oct 15 at 1:15:02 PM
m308gunner (63)
Connecticut
"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Oct 15 at 2:43:27 PM
Outdoormongoose (15)

< Little Mac >
Arizona
Originally posted by: rickrollcollector

No, not at all.

I fixed it.

Would if be a safe assumption by this you mean natives have taken "freedom" for granted and have lost the sense of community? An example of this would be you have the "freedom" to do whatever you want by law(within the boundaries of it), but society/community says you shouldn't be doing inappropriate things/self centered.