Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

RIP Greg Martin - Seminal box artist of flintstones 2 and dozens more new pics will be added in the coming days

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:40:42 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Stryphos

Wow what a talent ... so many of those items were ones I loved the art of when I was younger. Sad that I missed this post the first time around so thank you for sharing!

My pleasure and thank you for checking it out.     It definitely makes you look at things a different way when you realize all those favorites are by the same person, right?

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:13:03 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Bratwurst

Originally posted by: Buyatari

Most pieces that I purchased from Greg came shrink wrapped. I'm split over removing the wrap. Part of me worries it might damage the art over time the other likes to keep it just as had them.

If that's original art and not just prints you will want to get them out of that plastic. Cellophane/shrinkwrap can be acid-free but there's no way of knowing for sure with this instance unless you had checked with Greg and asked. The fact there's very little air in between would worry me.

Typically when art is framed there's a gap between it and the glass/acrylic so nothing's actually touching it. You should contact archivists at a few art museums to get advice on storage, don't just take my suggestion as law.

That's good advice but in this case I don't think its a concern.   I had a couple pieces from Greg wrapped the same way.

He had a bunch of artwork that got destroyed in the 90s (including, sadly, bonk's adventure) and his reaction to that was to shrinkwrap everything as a moisture barrier.

Wish I could remember the name of the plastic he used but it was something he did consider carefully and the couple I opened the wrap on still had crystal clear wrap, 25 years later, with zero acid burn to anything.   Underneath the plastic the art looked as fresh as the day it was made.

I understand Adam's concern though; the art just doesn't look as nice in the plastic, but it was effective and the surface being as ultra-delicate as it is, you wouldn't feel great about having it unprotected.    I chose to replicate what I'd seen greg (and other artists for that matter) do on other pieces.

Step 1, plastic off.

Step 2, buy glassine paper

Step 3 cut to size and affix to back, now you have a light protection for the surface from dust and whatnot that won't cause any problems to the surface

Step 4 buy heavy black drawing paper  

Step 5 cut to size and affix to back over top of the glassine paper, and now you have protection from light, scratches, etc

I know you probably know all of that Adam, but I thought you might find the product codes handy, as it took me a bit of figuring to get it right.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 11/14/2016 at 02:16 PM by Bronty

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:39:40 PM
Bratwurst (79)
(Meat Meister) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Glassine can be acid free but should not be considered archival.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:14:25 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Do you have a background as a conservator or something? You obviously know something about this but I'm also not quite sure what I'm supposed to draw from that comment.

I purchased these from this store (our region's best art supply store) for their intended purpose so I find it hard to imagine there is a problem unless there is something I am not aware of ? https://store.opusartsupplies.com...

If nothing else I thank you for the comment as it made me double check in the link above and confirm that the paper is definitely acid free.

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:13:37 PM
Bratwurst (79)
(Meat Meister) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Sorry I didn't mean to be curt or come off like a know-it-all. My considerations are only from a casual interest in preserving a few of my own things and personal research, so I wouldn't put -that- much stock in what I've got to say. I definitely stress consulting some professionals on how they store collections of prints and originals.

Glassine, acetate sheets, etc, are made from chemically treated wood pulp, cellulose, and it is ultimately hygroscopic. So while the art itself is made of paper and absorbs water as well, you get the potential for moisture collection, wicking, and intereactions when you layer it like that. Could be fine for 20, 30 years and then suddenly some of the art transfers to the glassine. I just feel the surest fashion is simply keeping the pieces 'gapped' somehow so that the detailed surface isn't touching anything, I've read that some people take it to a level such that they mat, frame and then seal the frame with an inert gas inside to neutralize oxidization. Maybe something to consider for your most valued pieces, but I know it's inefficient and costly.

One of the reasons I push to ask around too is there's been a lot of debate and a lack of consensus within collecting/museum circles- Should you handle paper with cotton gloves? Latex gloves? Without fine tactile control you risk snapping or ripping the paper, but with your bare hands you could leach acids! That kind of thing. I've seen gouache pieces develop faded impressions of fingerprints after a decade of not being touched! Personally had a few offset prints semi-transfer to what had been advertised as acid-free boards, but they weren't anything valuable. I would guess the ink itself was acidic in that case.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:45:14 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Bratwurst

Sorry I didn't mean to be curt or come off like a know-it-all. My considerations are only from a casual interest in preserving a few of my own things and personal research, so I wouldn't put -that- much stock in what I've got to say. I definitely stress consulting some professionals on how they store collections of prints and originals.

Glassine, acetate sheets, etc, are made from chemically treated wood pulp, cellulose, and it is ultimately hygroscopic. So while the art itself is made of paper and absorbs water as well, you get the potential for moisture collection, wicking, and intereactions when you layer it like that. Could be fine for 20, 30 years and then suddenly some of the art transfers to the glassine. I just feel the surest fashion is simply keeping the pieces 'gapped' somehow so that the detailed surface isn't touching anything, I've read that some people take it to a level such that they mat, frame and then seal the frame with an inert gas inside to neutralize oxidization. Maybe something to consider for your most valued pieces, but I know it's inefficient and costly.

One of the reasons I push to ask around too is there's been a lot of debate and a lack of consensus within collecting/museum circles- Should you handle paper with cotton gloves? Latex gloves? Without fine tactile control you risk snapping or ripping the paper, but with your bare hands you could leach acids! That kind of thing. I've seen gouache pieces develop faded impressions of fingerprints after a decade of not being touched! Personally had a few offset prints semi-transfer to what had been advertised as acid-free boards, but they weren't anything valuable. I would guess the ink itself was acidic in that case.

My head hurts when it comes to conversations like these and you clearly know more about it than I do but you mention the art being on paper - if it makes a difference that's not true.   It is on illustration board which quarter inch thick and rigid.    So you don't need gloves you can pick it up like it was a plywood sheet or something; it ain't snapping.   Lastly you mentioned water wicking on paper and whatnot but the top layer of illo board is cotton finer not wood pulp.    I just can't imagine there's much of an issue when I see all of these artists using this method, but I am not  an expert on chemistry either.

I'm sure you are right that a gap with nitrogen is ideal but that's not happening.

Edited: 11/15/2016 at 12:50 AM by Bronty

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:40:25 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Someone here has to know what series this is. I swore that I've seen this one on a VHS cover. Not sure if was a movie or tv show.
My memory is failing me in my old age.

Edited: 02/07/2017 at 03:40 PM by Buyatari

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:20:00 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
I don't remember the title and I couldn't find it in the first few minutes, but it was one of the earliest american exposures to anime via VHS.

The way to check this stuff when it comes to his vhs work is to remember that most of his VHS work was for FHE (family home entertainment) and its various sub-labels, of which there are many but they are listed on vhscollector.com, or, hi-tops video which is what I think this was for.

There were a few other clients I'm sure I'm forgetting, but I'm pretty sure this was for hi-tops.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:36:28 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Took me at least half an hour so write it down because I'm not doing this for you again  

http://img0007.psstatic.com/99341...

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:59:20 PM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada
Nice! I swear I knew what it was but i was wrong, haha

Edit to add: wow, I spent some time looking back in this thread and I missed a ton, lots of stuff I haven't seen. That's saying something because both Dan and Adam have shown me a lot of stuff! great read.

Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”

Edited: 02/07/2017 at 06:12 PM by maximus_clean

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:17:53 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
teh cool thing about voltes/ voltus is that it is one of the shogun warriors

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:18:57 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: maximus_clean

Nice! I swear I knew what it was but i was wrong, haha

Edit to add: wow, I spent some time looking back in this thread and I missed a ton, lots of stuff I haven't seen. That's saying something because both Dan and Adam have shown me a lot of stuff! great read.

glad you enjoyed it!

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:05:40 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Originally posted by: Bronty

Took me at least half an hour so write it down because I'm not doing this for you again  

http://img0007.psstatic.com/99341909_1983-hi-tops-video-volt...

Thanks Dan I appreciate it. 
I loved those early  Japanese cartoons like Star Blazers and The Battle of the Planets but I don't think I've ever seen this one. 
I did have a few Shogun Warriors figures as a kid. Those those things were so big and awesome compared to anything else at that time. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:10:33 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
welcome

they sure were. I still have 2 of my shogun warriors from when I was 4 years old. They were my favorite toys from the time we lived in Italy and the one thing I brought with me to Canada and I can't seem to bear to get rid of them. The coolest toys around at the time, bar none.

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:14:32 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Buyatari

Originally posted by: Bronty

http://img0007.psstatic.com/99341909_1983-hi-tops-video-volt...

Thanks Dan I appreciate it. 
I loved those early  Japanese cartoons like Star Blazers and The Battle of the Planets but I don't think I've ever seen this one. 
I did have a few Shogun Warriors figures as a kid. Those those things were so big and awesome compared to anything else at that time. 

the reason you wouldn't remember "voltus" as such is because, to my understanding, the shogun warriors were kind of a repackaging of various anime that were unconnected when they ran in japan.

So voltus had an anime, grendizer, daimos, all the robots probably did as far as I know.

Then here in north america they were repackaged or repurposed into a single cartoon with a new name - shogun warriors.    

So when you hear "shogun warriors" you remember that from your time as a kid, when you hear "voltes" you wouldn't remember a cartoon like that per se, as this videotape would have been the only release back then of the original cartoon in america.   that said, voltus/voltes IS a shogun warrior and did have his own cartoon in japan and was part of the repackaged cartoon over here.

Edited: 02/07/2017 at 07:16 PM by Bronty

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:36:17 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
So glad this got bumped. Great post man and sorry for your loss years ago!!!

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:00:35 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
thanks a lot, every time it does get bumped I always appreciate when someone new enjoys it. Thanks

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:24:15 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Voltus V was a Shogun Warrior. That is very cool.

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:53:58 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Cleaning up I found this 3 Stooges piece that I believe Greg did as an art student.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:41:22 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Greg's first game work was the box art for all the UMI Vic 20 titles including these two.

You can see his "MARTIN" signature on Video Vermin here on the bottom right in blue.

Edited: 03/14/2017 at 07:42 PM by Bronty

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:07:00 AM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Here are 4 more Greg Martin pieces.