Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

It's called NintendoAGE, not NESAge Any chance other Nintendo consoles will be covered?

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:49:47 AM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Similar to the way AtariAge covers all of 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, and Jaguar, is there any chance that in the future, NintendoAge would cover NES, SNES, N64, Game Boy, etc.?

-------------------------
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Edited: 04/16/2007 at 12:50 AM by burnambill333

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:01:09 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
I asked the same thing a while back. The response I got was...eventually, but Dain's not into doing the other systems yet.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:45:32 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Here's the deal with that guys, I own approximately 20 or so games from other Nintendo systems, so I could very easily add the other systems, but we'd all be looking at seriously blank pages unless someone(s) here is kind enough to scan in everything (literally). Any takers?

The system, believe it or not, was designed to handle multiple platforms, so it would just be a matter of populating it with information.

Again, any takers?

-Dain

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:10:53 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I could help if I knew how to do the shit. Can't do much in the way of images at the moment, but I'd definitely be interested in getting it populated. That is, if it's n00b-friendly

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:14:39 AM
Baseman (2)
(Brian ) < Crack Trooper >
Louisiana
Well, I dont have a scanner but I do have a good bit of SNES games. Id be willing to help as much as I could.

NES Tecmo Super Bowl Indianapolis Colts Undefeated Season....try it!

Apr 16, 2007 at 11:22:51 AM
burnambill333 (0)
New Jersey
I would be willing to do N64 in a few weeks....after this semester ends I will have plenty of free time.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Apr 16, 2007 at 11:40:18 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I also would eventually like us to have all Nintendo system. But since all of us collect NES why don't we all band together and try to get the NES info filled in?? Many of the game pages don't have hardly any info on them other that the adopt a letter campaign has taken care of already. I suggest than anyone who is really interested and wants to help lets fill out the NES stuff first so it is close to a stopping point and then maybe move onto other systems. I don't have many games via other systems, but I would be glad to do what little I have.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:41:34 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
thats a great idea!!!!!!! Lets do it.......... I think if we all worked together on the other systems we could all make it nice... there arnt to many SNES or N64 sites that are done very well that ive found so this would be awesome!!!!!!!

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:58:18 PM
Limbofunk (160)
(Otto Man) < King Solomon >
New York
Would it just be for the main consoles or would you also consider including the handhelds and the newer systems as well?  Would you set a cap on this to only cartridge based systems or would the limits basically be to whatever extent the community here is willing to work on and create a knowledge base for?  To me, it would be really interesting to eventually see systems such as the GameCube, GB, GBC, GBA, Virtual Boy, etc. in a similar fashion to how the NES is here...Of course, in order for that to happen, you'd probably have to recruit some serious collectors of each, but who knows if anyone would be dedicated enough.

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:15:24 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
You hit the nail right on the head -- it would be limited only to what others are willing to help out with. And it's not because I don't want to do it, but more for the simple fact that I don't have any serious level of items for any of those systems (well, not yet anyway). I would *love* to have every Nintendo system fully filled in, cataloged (worldwide) to the extent we'll have for the NES, but it will take a lot of people a lot of time, dedication, and nose-to-the-grind work. I can easily create an interface for teams of users to get the information into the system.

One thing I would suggest is that if we can get teams of people to do it, that we do not release it to the public until it's in a semi-complete phase (all known games are entered and have at least the cart/CD and box scans).

But for starters, maybe we can focus on the cartridge based sets first, then progress on to the other systems. I guess we'd need a few hardcore collectors from each system to really get this thing rolling.

If I can get some serious takers, I'll start building a temporary interface to enter the information.

-Dain

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:23:33 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
That is my main concern too. So far Dain has done the majoirty of the work, with me a far distant second. Only a handfull of people have contributed a sizeable amount of scans/info. My knowledge base is mainly NES and then popular titles of other systems, which I think Dains is as well. We would indeed have to recruit hardcore collectors of other systems. It has taken Dain years to get the site were it is at today (even though it hasn't been live that long) I just don't think we have the member base to take on this big of a project YET. It will happnen as the site gets more popular I think, but I just don't think we are ready for it quite yet. It is Dain's decision to make in the end, but with so much NES stuff left to add into the database it will take soooo much time to get other consoles even remotely populated. I think one day the site will encompass ALL Nintendo systems including Wii and even newer consoles, but IMO that is a ways down the road.

However, say someone like Nick who has a large ass N64 collection wants to get started. Nick could make a full list of all the game titles (which I am sure he has) then start scanning all that stuff right now. Box front, back, manauls, and cart font/backs. Once he gets all his stuff scanned we could of course go ahead and populate the n64 section. Kinda of like getting 95% of it done in one massive update. IMO that would be a much better way to launch each new console for the site. Of course this would mean a TON of work for that person with a new complete collection, but in the long run it would be something they would be remembered for. Just my thoughts though. Dain is the HCIC here (Head Cheif in Charge) so his call. I am just a scanning minion
~~NGD

edit---Dain beat me to the punch ^^^

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Edited: 04/16/2007 at 02:25 PM by NationalGameDepot

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:24:05 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
yeah I think going after the cartridge based systems would be a good place to start... Its tough because I know alot of us are just starting to really get going with alot of these other systems... I think it would be alot of fun and I would love to contribute as much as possible.... I dont know of anyone who has a complete collection of N64 or SNES,I think wrldstrman and Burnambill are closest on the N64, but I think we could acquire enough information to make it work....

Edited: 04/16/2007 at 02:27 PM by Hogie1418

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:03:15 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Ok, so here's a proposition:

Can someone(s) send me 1 game of each of the other systems that is truly CIB (with inserts, etc)? I'll of course send them back to you (I promise

I ask this because the new system I'm trying to finish up has very generic "META" data that can apply to essentially any Nintendo system, but I want to make some notes about how ID's are formed for each system, ID's for inserts, posters, as well as how each is packaged, what types of things came with each, how it was designed, element dimensions, etc. In other words, I don't want to box myself in when it comes time to add these systems, and the only way to prevent that (and a massive headache on my end) would be to have 1 of each to analyze.

Any takers?

-Dain

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:06:10 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I have 100+ SNES games, and a list isn't too hard to come by for US releases. I'd have to do some serious research into other regions. I'd also like to do GBA, but I'm not sure if a full list exists at this point...

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:55:08 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Another thing I'd like to add here...If we want to attract collectors of other consoles to help populate the site with info, we first have to have the basics for that console in place. It's been mentioned that everyone here collects NES. This is simply because it's set up as strictly an NES site. The handful of collectors of other systems we have here are NES collectors that have branched out into other consoles. If we want to get, say, SNES collectors to work on the SNES section, we first have to have a SNES section. Make sense? Same goes for other consoles too. You say we can't start without the knowledge base, I say we need to have something in place to attract the knowledge base.

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:57:47 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
Am I the only guy here who's glad this is a NES-only site? There are a million and one resources on the net that catalogue "all" videogames - why does NA have to be everything to everybody?

Ah well, I guess you can't stop progress... grumble, grumble.

Just promise me you'll split the forums into system-specific sections. Not having to wade through 500 SNES and N64 posts that I don't give two shits about is the reason I gravitated over here in the first place.

C'est la vie

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Apr 16, 2007 at 3:57:50 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
This could be as simple as someone sending me spreadsheets that look like this:

Title | Code | Region | Year | ???

-Dain

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:02:52 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Dr. Morbis

Am I the only guy here who's glad this is a NES-only site? There are a million and one resources on the net that catalogue "all" videogames - why does NA have to be everything to everybody?

In all honesty, I don't think the other sections would ever amount to much more than simple info about the games, which begs the question, "why bother?" I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I'm not about to stop what I'm working on to add in more systems and games that Jason and I are the only ones helping to fill in. That said, Dr. Morbis, I would imagine it would be a very long time if/until that happens.

Now, one thing I think *will* happen before that is to at least have all the other Nintendo (and other?) systems and games in the database (not visible to searches) for the purpose of adding them to trade lists, collections, etc.

-Dain

Edited: 04/16/2007 at 04:03 PM by Dain

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:12:59 PM
Hounder (0)
(David Pendergast) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
I can say I wouldn't mind having the other systems since every once in a while I will pick up games for them but I really love the fact that this site is basically all NES. Which is the reason why almost all of us are here. I mean if we did branch out to other systems, I won't complain but I also won't be able to help as I know nothing about anything except NES.

Hi, my name is David Pendergast, aka:

Jesse Jones
Philip Varney

I scammed people on NintendoAge a while back. Since then, I've been unwelcome. Do not do business with me!

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:17:08 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: Dain
...I'm not about to stop what I'm working on to add in more systems and games that Jason and I are the only ones helping to fill in.

This could be avoided if you had a simple "submit info" button. Even if you guys have to approve everything yourselves and add it in, at least you're not doing ALL the work. Just a thought...

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:19:27 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
That part is coming with the collection tool most definitely -- when you find something in your collection, you can add it regardless of whether it's in the system, and it then gets sent to the admin area where we integrate new finds.

-Dain

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:24:01 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I was referring more to submitting info for existing titles. Might help speed up the process.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:26:22 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
hopefully ill have a complete n64 collection by the end of may...but i dont have a scanner hoooked up

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:28:00 PM
burnambill333 (0)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Dain
If I can get some serious takers, I'll start building a temporary interface to enter the information.
-Dain

I would be a serious taker for populating the N64 database. I believe I am very knowledgeable with the console, although I would definitely need some help deciding rarity values for some cartridges, manuals, and boxes. Perhaps wrldstrman could help me with that, who also has a kickass N64 collection.

I also have a scanner in my room that I just got and scans quickly, and would be willing to scan everything that I have.

I completely agree that nothing should go public until it is fully complete, or very close to being complete. An incomplete database is just embarrasing and would make the site look bad. I also think no more consoles should go public until you have a different server. I was surprised at how many people are on this site at any given time. Imagine how many MORE people would start coming here as you started covering other consoles, and how much slower it would make the site go. Those "timeouts" are really annoying.

Dain - I would definitely be willing to help populate the N64 section, although I wouldn't be able to devote that much time to it until mid-may. But I could start now. Let me know if you are serious, and exactly what would be required, and I'll start to compile everything I can.

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:33:09 PM
Baseman (2)
(Brian ) < Crack Trooper >
Louisiana
Check that, I do have a scanner in the closet I completely forgot about.

NES Tecmo Super Bowl Indianapolis Colts Undefeated Season....try it!