Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Everything is bigger in Texas except my collection Hey y'all. I'm new on here and my name is Dane.

Jun 24 at 9:00:53 AM
DaneTX (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
I'm fairly new to the NES game buying stuff. My collection is just over 50 games and I started buying about 6 months ago. It started with games I enjoyed as a kid like Super Mario Bros and Contra. I had no idea the amount of games made for this system. I've actually viewed things on this forum previously about certain questions or issues and found it to be a pretty good source for information. Anyways, thanks for adding me.

Jun 24 at 9:12:49 AM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Welcome!

You'll find many users selling various NES games here, which can help build your collection. I picked up some hard to find games and even had some help finding some Nintendo advertising signs.

Jun 24 at 9:39:14 AM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
Sup

-------------------------
Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Jun 24 at 9:39:57 AM
DaneTX (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Thanks. So far the majority of my games have come from Lukie Games and Ebay. Tried Gamestop a few times, but mostly just a hassle. Any suggestions on where to start? Lately I've bought a few games simply due to the price that I never heard of as a kid.

Jun 24 at 9:45:01 AM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
Check out the Seller's Thread and also make yourself a hit list and post that in the Buyer's Thread (just don't confuse the two) as you may be surprised how many users have things to unload and at fair prices

Jun 24 at 9:52:41 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Welcome! As Munkey said above, consider making a buy thread listing what you're looking for, and check out existing sellers' threads as well. We have a transaction system on here you can use to track your trades and purchases, and it's a great way to get to know people too.

Jun 24 at 10:22:09 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Welcome!

50 is a good jump! And you certainly can't go wrong with starting with games you enjoyed as a kid. Contra and SMB are no joke. Head to Gamers Gauntlet to share your joy/frustration with some of the greatest/hardest games on the NES.

As you said, this place is a great resource of information and people are helpful.

Enjoy!

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 06/24/2019 at 10:23 AM by AirVillain

Jun 24 at 10:29:33 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Hi!

Jun 24 at 10:33:32 AM
DaneTX (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Thanks y'all. I'll definitely look into your suggestions. I'd love to own all NES titles, but some I really just want to play. My main thing is should I continue going after what I remember or try for more rarer titles. How do y'all decide what to go after?

Jun 24 at 10:49:19 AM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
My personal preference is to collect games that I played or games that are considered the best for each system. If they're a rare game, then I'd buy them. However, I don't collect just for rarities. I don't think there is a right way to collect. You just have to do what interests you most. Nostalgia is most important for me; so, I buy mostly games I wanted but never got as a kid. However, I am impressed and encouraged by the collectors that have extremely rare games, CIB collections, or sealed vintage games.

Jun 24 at 10:53:24 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Frankly, full set collecting isn't for everyone. It's incredibly expensive and takes years.

Back in early 2017 when I jumped in I made the mistake of thinking I could go for a NES set. I got to around 200-300 games in, cart-only of course, and one day while looking at my shelf thought "Wow... I have basically nothing good to play...". It can be quite easy to amass a large collection of generically ok titles, but once the honeymoon is over you start to realize that now you're looking at a significant monetary investment for the remaining titles.

Personally I am an advocate of self-curated lists. What I mean by that is that you simply pick the games you want! I'd avoid filler titles, unless they mean something to YOU. One example would be Dynowarz on the NES - I played that with my brother a lot as a kid.

Frankly unless you have a lot of space, a lot of money, and a genuine love for everything NES, I'd steer clear of going for a full set. You didn't know about many of the titles for a reason - there's a LOT of filler junk in the library.

Jun 24 at 10:57:35 AM
CaLan87 (5)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Welcome! I also am in Texas, pm me where youre at and maybe we can meet up sometime. Ive got a few things for sale/trade. Nothing rare at the moment. As for purchasing, I would go with what you like. Especially since youre just starting. It happens all the time where someone with less than a year or 2 of collecting start trying to amass a giant collection then get out of it because it can feel overwhelming. One last thing. If you do take the route of starting a huge collection NOW, then big "lots" are your best friend rather than buying individually.

*** Check out my WTB thread!! ***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jun 24 at 12:09:44 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Hello! Welcome to NA!  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jun 24 at 12:30:23 PM
DaneTX (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
I have some filler titles now that were simply too cheap to pass up. I think y'all are right about collecting titles I like or want over rarities. I knew I'd never get Little Samson at a price I could live with, so I took a chance on a reproduction and absolutely love that game. Probably work towards getting manuals for games I already have. Maybe custom cases too. My collection is basically for me and not really a resale type collection.

Jun 24 at 12:31:15 PM
Wheelcakes (14)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
Welcome to the sute duder!  

KDDK Player  

Jun 24 at 2:48:12 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Welcome to NA!

As for what you should buy, get what you want. Buy what you'll play. If you decide to go for a full set, then get the rarer stuff, but like Gloves said, a full set is no joke. That takes a TON of time, space, and money. You have to be sure you want to do that, or you'll burn out and bail. That's not necessarily the worst thing, but it's something that could potentially be avoided with careful thought. Just my two cents.

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jun 24 at 4:04:19 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado

Jun 24 at 8:12:13 PM
m308gunner (63)
(Jason ) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
Welcome to NA! Buy what you like. Unless you like to stare at a wall of plastic. Then buy them all.

Jun 25 at 9:29:04 AM
DaneTX (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Thanks for the warm welcome and the honesty of going after a full collection. I hadn't really thought too much about it. Space would be a huge thing as I probably could only fit about 500 on the current shelves I have. The money aspect would be absolutely insane now that I've seen what some games go for. Probably the most important is simply the large amount of filler games there are that just aren't really fun to play at all.

I've got tons of questions, but I'll check out some threads to see if I can find the answers there.

Out of curiosity, are there any rare games that y'all would suggest finding a reproduction for because they are that fun to play?

Jun 25 at 8:32:01 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: DaneTX

Thanks for the warm welcome and the honesty of going after a full collection. I hadn't really thought too much about it. Space would be a huge thing as I probably could only fit about 500 on the current shelves I have. The money aspect would be absolutely insane now that I've seen what some games go for. Probably the most important is simply the large amount of filler games there are that just aren't really fun to play at all.

I've got tons of questions, but I'll check out some threads to see if I can find the answers there.

Out of curiosity, are there any rare games that y'all would suggest finding a reproduction for because they are that fun to play?

You may also want to look into an Everdrive N8 or a Powerpak if your looking to just play and still stay with OG hardware. 

Edited: 06/25/2019 at 08:32 PM by MuNKeY

Jun 25 at 8:53:37 PM
DaneTX (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
What are those MunKey? Are those carts that have like 500 games that they sell on Wish?

Jun 25 at 9:24:50 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee

What are those MunKey? Are those carts that have like 500 games that they sell on Wish?

Flashcart and well worth the admission price. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079WYD...

Jun 25 at 9:38:26 PM
DaneTX (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Read the description, still a bit confused. So if I download games online, I would be able to play them with this? Sorry, have seen this, but never understood what it does.

Jun 25 at 9:51:36 PM
chromableedstudios (14)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Hi!

Jun 25 at 10:10:52 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee

Read the description, still a bit confused. So if I download games online, I would be able to play them with this? Sorry, have seen this, but never understood what it does.

In a nut shell, yes that is correct.