Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Messages per page Can't be above 50?

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:21:41 AM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I feel silly for asking this but I couldn't find much information about it anywhere else.

In the forums settings page (My Home -> Profile Settings -> Forums Settings) there is an option to choose the number of topics shown per page, and also an option to choose the number of messages shown per page in a thread.  I can set the "Topics per page" to 100 and click save and it works fine, but when I try to do this with "Messages per page" it defaults down to 50.

I found a user in this thread mentioned the same issue but it was never addressed: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=24&th...

-------------------------

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:11:32 AM
demanufacturedmario (86)
(A J) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
I mentioned it when the new layout happened on 4/1/2013.

It's a small issue, but would be nice to see 100 posts on a page if I wanted to.

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:47:39 PM
Alder (52)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: demanufacturedmario

I mentioned it when the new layout happened on 4/1/2013.

It's a small issue, but would be nice to see 100 posts on a page if I wanted to.
Yep, me too!  I have next to no web development skills, but this seems like a bug rather than lack of functionality.  I'd love to view 100 posts per page (Really I'd like to view as many as I want, but 100 is plenty).  If this is a quick fix it'd be nice.  If there's some strange underlying reason why this is difficult to do, then it's no big deal.

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:12:28 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Probably limited to due to the bandwidth it would take up. It's not a bug, that's for sure. Think of if 100 people have it set to 50 posts/threads per page, that's a lot of server load in a very, very short period of time, then double that if it were set to 100, and then consider how much you're browsing NA. Assume that people stay on a page, at average, of 1 minute, browse NA for an hour on average, that's 60 clicks per user at 100 users, that's 6,000 clicks. Say each page load is 5k, that's 30 MB in a short period of time which, no, isn't a lot, but assume that's the average per hour, that's 720 MB a day, which is over 2 GB a month. I'm sure the usage stats are significantly higher, but I'm sure it's for a performance purpose.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:09:51 PM
Alder (52)
Pennsylvania
Ah, so my reasoning was wrong on both accounts: it's not a bug or hard to implement, just disabled in the interest of bandwidth. I didn't even think about that side of things. Maybe Dain can chime in about it.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:03:53 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Alder

Ah, so my reasoning was wrong on both accounts: it's not a bug or hard to implement, just disabled in the interest of bandwidth. I didn't even think about that side of things. Maybe Dain can chime in about it.
Actually, this is a bug after the update, where I had intentions of reinstating the 100 messages per page value. When you save the form, it reverts it to 50 per page, so that's a bug.

Originally, it was due to what dra600n said, which was more or less site stability. We're doing a bit better in that department now, so I reenabled it.

You should be able to choose 100 now if you want to. Any more than 100 and I see no point other than to waste bandwidth.

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 06:04 PM by Dain

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:22:47 PM
Alder (52)
Pennsylvania
Excellent, thanks I hope this doesn't cause any issues though.

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:39:20 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Alder

Excellent, thanks I hope this doesn't cause any issues though.
If the site breaks, I'm blaming you!

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread