Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nesrulers contest presents: Ninja Gaiden Ends Next Sunday 11/22 at 10 pm central time

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:59:36 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta

STUPID BIRDS.
Score: 810,400

Edited: 11/22/2009 at 11:02 PM by AllYourBass

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:00:41 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Miss Clawful

Knowing you, probably well exceeded the 600000 mark.

That was actually my objective when I was playing earlier this week. I succeed in doing 600000 Yesterday, and I managed to masterize the sixth level on ly today. Too much enemies respawning from everywhere.

-------------------------

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:01:28 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
Apparently there's something that you guys know that I don't.

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:02:33 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Holy crap AllYourBase!!!

You racked up a load of extra points on me. I wonder what was your secret spots to get that much points. Congrats!

EDIT: A special congrats to Megan for being able to beat the game several times with one life. That one really used my nerves all week long!

Now, Castlevania!!! Oh no, not some heavy racking session again!

Edited: 11/22/2009 at 11:04 PM by guillavoie

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:06:29 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
There's several spots where you can get 1000 + points per second, but to do it, you basically have to have a memory reflex to kill the guys. One fraction of a second off and it won't work.

Congrats to both of you!

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:07:58 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
I got some score hunting exploring to do in this once I feel better, because your guys scores blew mine away. Low score again. Hey, but managed the beat the game without dying 3 times, all in this week!

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:08:56 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
We were the only posters?

I thought MrMiniMog and Dr. Robbie, at least, were going to post some big guns score.

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:12:21 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

I got some score hunting exploring to do in this once I feel better, because your guys scores blew mine away. Low score again. Hey, but managed the beat the game without dying 3 times, all in this week!

Not low at all Megan, it was still an amazing score. I'm pretty sure you would gain a bunch of extra points by rushing as fast as you can in any stage, keep your 'magic points' to rack some thousands more points after each level, ans stuff like that.

The way I was playing it, I feel like Allyourbase score is blowing my own mind. Racking an additional 80000 sounds like a stretch to me right now, and I won't try it, blah!

Edited: 11/22/2009 at 11:12 PM by guillavoie

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:13:43 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Suddenly, my mind is clear, I just thought of something I did not take advantage of, the windmill throwing star to keep hitting those blade guys. Don't know how much they are worth, but I'd think quite a bit considering how dangerous they are. Afterall those hopping enemies are worth 500 each. Guess my problem is is that I'm so used to mostly using the sword for most attacks, only using the subweapons when needed for my survival.

Well, those blade guys are only worth 500 points too. But, the windmill throwing star does help in some of those spots that I kept running back and forth on slashing enemies with my sword, so all I have to do is set it off and play jumprope, or jumpstar, while it boomerangs back and forth tearing enemies to shit. Why I didn't use this before I don't know, to used to playing a very straight forward from start to end game that I think I was still unconsciously thinking with the same mindset.

Yep, definitely the windmill throwing star. Used it on stage 5-1 against a leaper, threw the star, it hit, I jumped it on its return, then immediately ducked as it came back and hit the next leaper as it jumped right above my head and continued this pattern of attack til I had about 30 seconds left on the timer, then rushed my ass to the end of the stage with barely a second to spare, but made over 85000 points in that stage, nice. Tried it on every leaper (such as the last screen of stage 6-2, as well as stage 6-3), as well as kung fu guys that I came across, wow, could really amass some big points, just too bad that I didn't think about this before end of contest. Eh, no big deal, I never had the frame of mind for racking points anyway, except for games where score takes more priority over actually finishing the game. But I can say this, at least about this game, I actually found it somewhat fun, for the whole challenge of it all, in trying to bring my score up, but still insisted on beating it without dying, again, as if once wasn't enough.

And I'm really surprised we have very few scores posted for this one, as was, I didn't even expect to rank in the top 3 at all.

Edited: 11/23/2009 at 02:59 AM by Miss Clawful

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:15:02 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
I really wanted to give Ninja Gaiden a try last week, but I just couldn't get into it. I played it only once and kept dying in some really stupid spots because I was being too careless. The best score I was able to get was around 100,000 points, but when I achieved that score, there were already some very impressive ones posted here that I knew I could never beat, so I just gave up on the game. Plus, I bought Assassin's Creed 2 last week and I've been playing that a lot, so it didn't leave me much time for Ninja Gaiden. I will have to give Castlevania a try this week, as it's one of my favorite games.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:46:42 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Megan, could you provide a short video to show what you mean with your windmill throwing star technique?

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:54:16 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
^^^ She's talking about the red throwing star that boomerangs. You can jump and duck to dodge it repeatedly, allowing a single toss to continuously clear respawning enemies.

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:02:41 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Thanks Arch!
I was not using this technique to rack, but it sounds like a good idea now that I'm thinking about it.

Edited: 11/23/2009 at 03:06 PM by guillavoie

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:25:07 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: guillavoie

I thought MrMiniMog and Dr. Robbie, at least, were going to post some big guns score.

Yeah, I didnt get a pic of the 390k,  because I was only at the start of 5-2, and was still learning all the best spots for bulking up score, so that was low for that spot anyway. With the rest of the levels after 5-2 to go though + bulking up a little more in earlier levels, I may have been able to pass 600k easy.

I tried for a little last night, but I guess I was spent on this game. I wasn't doing half as good as the previous nights (I started getting hit...a lot), and just gave up after getting really frustrated after a few runs + referrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f" />I need a new controller. The B button and D-pad are getting really worn.

I do have some good notes from this though, and I would like to try and get a much higher score, but I need to rest a bit. My thumbs hurt.

Edited: 11/23/2009 at 03:27 PM by Mog

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:27:15 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
You hit the nail right on the head, Megan! The windmill throwing star is exactly how I got my score. I actually learned the technique in a video that Roth made.

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:02:52 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri

Ninja Gaiden is my mortal enemy.

One of my favorite games, but I can't get squat accomplished in it. I couldn't beat stage 2-1 without dying at least once.

Great scores all around though.

Let's Go Penguins!

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:09:15 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
^^^ Same here. I topped out reaching the 3rd boss. I just haven't played against most of the bosses enough to beat them the first time through.

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:13:19 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
The only boss in this game that ever gives me any trouble is the 2nd to last boss of the game (the one that floats back and forth at the top of the screen and shoots fireballs). The final boss is a breeze compared to that thing.

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:15:58 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: AllYourBase

You hit the nail right on the head, Megan! The windmill throwing star is exactly how I got my score. I actually learned the technique in a video that Roth made.

Once I thought about it, actually seeing your score, I think it took me just a few minutes of pondering to realize it, I was like, awe shit, I bet I know exactly what he did to get that score. So I loaded the game up on emulator (mom was still watching tv at the time) and tried it out, wasn't too successful, but it did allow me to find the spots that I could try it and once I was able to use the tv to play it on my NES later that night was able to perform it in quite a few locations. Works beautifully in racking up points very fast. Why I didn't think to do this, again, still even with me playing for score, I was still thinking with that must beat the game without dying frame of mind, so I didn't do any exploring to see how else I could improve my score outside of just using my sword to repeatedly slashing a respawning foe over and over again. Plus, I only had a limited time at the tv and laptop so I had to get in as many games as I could in short time, no time to test different things out, just had to be at my best, even though I wasn't feeling my best.  But why I didn't think to use the windmill shuriken to gain score is beside me, I use the boomeranging to clear out enemies all the time during normal gameplay.

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:17:36 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Megan, could you provide a short video to show what you mean with your windmill throwing star technique?

If you didn't use this technique, how the hell did you manage that big ass score that you got?

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:21:11 PM
MasonSushi (83)
(Mason 8-Bit_Nes) < King Solomon >
South Carolina
megan, you amaze me with your vids.

Come visit my youtube channel

MasonSushi YouTube Channel

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:15:42 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

If you didn't use this technique, how the hell did you manage that big ass score that you got?

Plain blade racking.
I had nice racking spots, a good racking gymnastic, and I managed to do everything in the stages super fast. I wonder what I would have done with the red star technique in a few stages.