Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2018 NA Weekly Contest Tournament : Final Round Contest ends Sunday, 11/18/18 at 11 PM NA Time

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:43:29 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Final Round of the 2018 NA Weekly Contest Year End Tournament!

12 players that ranked in the top of the 2018 leaderboard fiercely competed in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the tournament!
Now only 6 of these great players still remain standing and will compete to DEATH on the Ultimate Final Round of the Tournament.

Here's the list of players competing in the Final Round :

bertsampson
tablew/chairs
arnpoly
mbd39
skinnygrinny

gutsman004

For the final round of this exciting year, we picked a game we are 100% sure all of them will beat in one sitting without dying: NINJA GAIDEN III.

Rules

• 1 life only
  • You must play Ninja Gaiden 3 and not Ninja RyĆ«kenden III: Yomi no Hakobune
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Action/Platformer

The contest ends Sunday, 11/18/18 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.

Best of luck to all the 6 finalists. Game on, ladies and gentlemen!

-------------------------
A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:43:46 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
NINJA GAIDEN 3

Position Name Score Ninja Type
1st bertsampson 809,600 Cyborg Ninja
2nd tablew/chairs 765,100 Silent Ninja
3rd arnpoly 628,100 Family Ninja
4th mbd39 569,900 Friendly Ninja
5th skinnygrinny 565,600 Ninja Ninja
6th gutsman004 68,000 Powerlifting Ninja

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Edited: 11/19/2018 at 04:16 AM by Bea_Iank

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:56:48 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
The best I've done is a one death run because of the ridiculously strict time limit in the final act. And I'm really out of practice.
I'd be happy to score in the 500-600k range this week, but we'll see what happens.

The winning score was 591k when this was played last time. That's a good score to shoot for.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:07:10 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: mbd39

The best I've done is a one death run because of the ridiculously strict time limit in the final act. And I'm really out of practice.
I'd be happy to score in the 500-600k range this week, but we'll see what happens.

The winning score was 591k when this was played last time. That's a good score to shoot for.

Excuses, excuses, excuses!
I want to all 6 scores with the game beaten!

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:08:05 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
No rules regarding point farming? Just highest score wins?

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:10:22 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: Gloves

Enemies don't respawn on Ninja Gaiden 3.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:13:00 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Enemies don't respawn on Ninja Gaiden 3.

Any clue how the folks on the Scoreboard got to 999,990? I suppose the 1 life only rule is key here?

I don't know anything about the game, just trying to paint a picture for myself.  

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:16:19 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

There's a time limit. Enemies don't respawn. Point farming isn't an issue in this game unless you do a 1up loop which is impossible in a one life contest.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:17:07 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Any clue how the folks on the Scoreboard got to 999,990? I suppose the 1 life only rule is key here?

I don't know anything about the game, just trying to paint a picture for myself.  

Yes, the 1 life only rule is the key here.  
The enemies and power ups from the sector respawn if you die.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:18:13 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Cool. Thanks guys, and good luck!

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:20:47 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Just being honest, but I don't see how I could place Top 3 this week. I'm being asked to spend a lot more time at the office now which cuts into my playtime. Plus, I have never beaten NG3! I'll see what I can do, and don't count me out or anything, but if I end up last in this group now you'll know why. I am glad the game is NG3 though, as it's quite a lot more fun than any of the other games that were suggested as possibilities.  

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:25:11 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I was fully expecting having to play Ghosts n Goblins in the finals.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:30:07 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Ghosts 'n Goblins is too much of an easy game for the finals.
Sure, a 1 life only rule can make it a wee bit more interesting, but the game doesn't show the life count on the main GUI.  

Nov 12, 2018 at 12:57:24 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
Not relevant, still relevant, you're all welcome

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:33:16 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Just being honest, but I don't see how I could place Top 3 this week. I'm being asked to spend a lot more time at the office now which cuts into my playtime. Plus, I have never beaten NG3! I'll see what I can do, and don't count me out or anything, but if I end up last in this group now you'll know why. I am glad the game is NG3 though, as it's quite a lot more fun than any of the other games that were suggested as possibilities.  

I’ll echo a similar sentiment as Arn. I am quite honestly not very familiar with the game. I am extremely good at the first one and pretty good at the second so I figure those skills will translate somewhat but we will see what happens. I definitely view myself as an underdog. If only we were playing Castlevania or Jackal or even the first Ninja Gaiden.

Edited: 11/12/2018 at 02:33 PM by gutsman004

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:45:03 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I’ll echo a similar sentiment as Arn. I am quite honestly not very familiar with the game. I am extremely good at the first one and pretty good at the second so I figure those skills will translate somewhat but we will see what happens. I definitely view myself as an underdog. If only we were playing Castlevania or Jackal or even the first Ninja Gaiden.

I wish we were playing the first Ninja Gaiden. I have that game firmly committed to muscle memory by this point. Not so much NG3 even though I've beaten it many times.

It's just a matter of shaking off the rust this week. I don't expect to do a no death run, lol. If I can get to the final act without dying I'd be happy.

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:19:13 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
You guys made it to the finals. Hitch up them britches bitches.

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:52:59 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Ninja. GAYDEN!

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:25:08 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Edited: 11/17/2018 at 05:49 PM by mbd39

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:39:34 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I wish we were playing the first Ninja Gaiden. I have that game firmly committed to muscle memory by this point. Not so much NG3 even though I've beaten it many times.

It's just a matter of shaking off the rust this week. I don't expect to do a no death run, lol. If I can get to the final act without dying I'd be happy.

This is the fatal flaw in these contests. It solely rests on what games are picked.. If Mega Man had been picked,you all would be playing  for second place,but rather a game that you are really good at therefore giving you a distinct advantage. 

So really the champion of the tournament comes down to which player gets lucky enough to get selected games that they are great at.

Edited: 11/12/2018 at 08:45 PM by gutsman004

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:42:49 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado
Originally posted by: SuperJimtendo

Not relevant, still relevant, you're all welcome

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w6L..." width="500">>

/thread

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

Edited: 11/12/2018 at 08:49 PM by Murray

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:55:10 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

This is the fatal flaw in these contests. It solely rests on what games are picked.. If Mega Man had been picked,you all would be playing  for second place,but rather a game that you are really good at therefore giving you a distinct advantage. 

So really the champion of the tournament comes down to which player gets lucky enough to get selected games that they are great at.

Eh, it's also possible to pick up on games you've never played before. I'd never played NES QIX before this year's contest and I won that through sheer force of will lol. Being super experienced at a game is no guarantee of winning either.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:27:54 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Eh, it's also possible to pick up on games you've never played before. I'd never played NES QIX before this year's contest and I won that through sheer force of will lol. Being super experienced at a game is no guarantee of winning either.

No but it definitely gives you an advantage.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:06:39 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I just wanted to tell you all good luck. We're all counting on you!  

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:12:54 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: rdrunner

I just wanted to tell you all good luck. We're all counting on you!  

Thanks for stopping in. I appreciate it. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.