Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Adventures of Bayou Billy Contest ends Sunday, 3/9/14 at 11 PM NA time

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:28:30 PM
jump_man95 (4)
(David Wehar) < Crack Trooper >
Virginia
what's point raking?

-------------------------

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:07:10 AM
th0rpe (36)
(JT ) < King Solomon >
Ohio

I'm just going to go ahead and post this now. It's not the highest score I've gotten, but it's the only one I took a picture of, and I don't think I want to play this game again. Nooooot feeling it ha ha. Funny thing is, I never gave this game a shot before because I thought the name was dumb. True story.

photo 9e2b72a2-b127-4ace-a5f3-44ba0dcf7229_zps09e39f85.jpg

Edited: 03/04/2014 at 12:08 AM by th0rpe

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:33:59 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: jump_man95

what's point raking?
Point racking is what we call any method of scoring points that can be done without advancing in the game.  For example, in Contra, you can score all kinds of points by standing still just shooting enemies as they generate.

In Bayou Billy, there are a couple places where you can do this, but I won't mention where.  Just keep trying to scroll the screen whenever possible and you'll be fine.

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:36:57 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
That 3rd level boss (basically Bayou Abobo) is a beast!

I have a feeling that to beat him I'm going to need to jump kick away his armor and then knife him to death.

If anyone here is a pro at this one, is he even possible to beat if you don't manage to kill him while you have a weapon? (i.e. if you die on him, you will continue to die on him)

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:47:59 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I have a feeling that to beat him I'm going to need to jump kick away his armor and then knife him to death.

If anyone here is a pro at this one, is he even possible to beat if you don't manage to kill him while you have a weapon? (i.e. if you die on him, you will continue to die on him)

I'm definitely no expert on this game,but you can beat him by keeping your distance and jump kicking him.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:31:25 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I'm definitely no expert on this game,but you can beat him by keeping your distance and jump kicking him.

Yeah, took about 10 tries (practicing in an emulator), but it seems like jump kicks are the way to do it...

Now to see if I can actually get back to him with enough lives to pull it off for real!

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:35:01 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Yeah, took about 10 tries (practicing in an emulator), but it seems like jump kicks are the way to do it...

Now to see if I can actually get back to him with enough lives to pull it off for real!

I know if you jump kick him successfully,he'll block and that allows you to get in a free hit essentially.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:38:13 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I know if you jump kick him successfully,he'll block and that allows you to get in a free hit essentially.
I didn't try repeated hits.

The strategy that worked for me was to basically do a figure-8, where I jump kick him once on the way by and then get clear so I can turn around and do it again.

Otherwise I couldn't seem to get enough distance without him either kicking me in the ass or being able to suplex me on the 2nd pass.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:43:24 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I didn't try repeated hits.

The strategy that worked for me was to basically do a figure-8, where I jump kick him once on the way by and then get clear so I can turn around and do it again.

Otherwise I couldn't seem to get enough distance without him either kicking me in the ass or being able to suplex me on the 2nd pass.

That's how I first beat him. Jump kick him,he blocks,I jump kick again while he's blocking,then run.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:06:53 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
77,750. The driving part is brutal on the thumb. Use to rent this one and couldn't get past the 2nd driving level. Happy to make it this far. Probably just try and see if I can beat it (I think I'm not too far away).

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:08:43 PM
razeak (11)
(Scott Edwards) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I beat it for the first time ever today. It was either the second or third game I ever rented.

Xbox Live: razeak
PSN: cayrazeak
WiiU: razeak
3DS: 3067-5036-9177 razeak

Currently Playing:

Strider PS4
Lego Hobbit WiiU
Mario Kart 8 WiiU
Mega Man 3 NES

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:16:01 PM
jump_man95 (4)
(David Wehar) < Crack Trooper >
Virginia

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:50:05 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: razeak

I beat it for the first time ever today. It was either the second or third game I ever rented.

This is definitely one I want to add to my beat list... It has thwarted me for too long.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:28:16 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
29400 (Look at High Score in the pic)
Dang gators took most of my lives. I cannot figure them out. If I don't have to fight them, I run very very fast. This was the first time that I ever made it past the first level. I found the shooting part very easy. I lost 4 lives to just the gators.

EDIT: Figured out the gators. Made it to the level 3 boss with only 1 square of life left and I never touched him. The game is starting to grow on me. I never thought I would ever make it past level 1.

EDIT 2: Died at 3rd level boss again. I can't touch him. Went threw 3 lives with him and got powerslammed to death.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Edited: 03/06/2014 at 11:21 PM by Mega Mario Man

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:35:28 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: razeak

Make sure you post this in the "Can NA beat every nes game in a year" thread as it was unbeaten.

EDIT: Nevermind,just saw that you already did. Congrats on beating this game,you are a beastly manly man!

Edited: 03/05/2014 at 01:52 AM by gutsman004

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:34:24 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Beliskner

Damn this is the first week that I wanted to participate and now only NTSC copies are allowed. I guess I'll have to wait another week

Perhaps next week bimmy will consider the PAL version of Wicked Clown Bros. 2

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:35:35 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: deathrock83

Originally posted by: Beliskner

Damn this is the first week that I wanted to participate and now only NTSC copies are allowed. I guess I'll have to wait another week

Perhaps next week bimmy will consider the PAL version of Wicked Clown Bros. 2

It'll be a battle for 2nd as I know you can perfect run that game blindfolded. I've seen the youtube video,freaking phenomenal.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:58:58 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

EDIT: Figured out the gators. Made it to the level 3 boss with only 1 square of life left and I never touched him. The game is starting to grow on me. I never thought I would ever make it past level 1.
I was surprised to discover that one-on-one you can kill the gators safely from in the water, since a well-timed punch prevents them from hitting you.

In large numbers, though, I have to kick them to death from dry ground, just barely out of reach of their teeth.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:51:55 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska

I was surprised to discover that one-on-one you can kill the gators safely from in the water, since a well-timed punch prevents them from hitting you.

In large numbers, though, I have to kick them to death from dry ground, just barely out of reach of their teeth.

I started with the stand on dry land strategy. Took forever and I would nearly die trying to fing the "sweet spot" where they couldn't get me.

Then, I was getting frustrated so I jumped in the water to let off some steam with a stick before I died and I whooped em! I found it is much easier to kill them this way.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:56:23 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I started with the stand on dry land strategy. Took forever and I would nearly die trying to fing the "sweet spot" where they couldn't get me.

Then, I was getting frustrated so I jumped in the water to let off some steam with a stick before I died and I whooped em! I found it is much easier to kill them this way.

In one's-and-two's I think I'd agree with the in-water.  It DOES take forever to kill them on land.

But if I accidentally get 3 or 4 on screen it is too much to handle, for me.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:58:28 AM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
if you can corral them into a pattern, you can do a double hit (depending on how far away you are). I usually only kill the first few in the swamps but not towards the end (possibility of losing a life). It takes awhile but I stick with the punches and try to get at least on (if not 2 in the same position each time). Also, I noticed the health is just completely random (one time, only one drop, next time 3 or four) and not all appear. If you need health, keep the gators towards the middle of the swamp. As far as the level boss (Abobo type guy), I would use the jump kick alot. keep moving back and forth across the screen and try to double jump kick him (like everyone else has mentioned). I took damage (almost down to 1 life) but managed to defeat him.

Talking about it actually makes we want to play it again. I do like they give you infinite continues.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:03:31 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Well this will probably be my only entry this week. I took my score before I lost my last life as I thought I would get creamed on the driving parts. Pretty good score considering. I played the game again after I snapped my pic and beat the game only using one continue! I was super happy to finally get this cart on the "Beat" pile. Great game that is hampered by the terrible hit detection. ^>^

32,430 points

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:51:39 PM
razeak (11)
(Scott Edwards) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I usually beat the 3rd level boss without taking a hit.

Xbox Live: razeak
PSN: cayrazeak
WiiU: razeak
3DS: 3067-5036-9177 razeak

Currently Playing:

Strider PS4
Lego Hobbit WiiU
Mario Kart 8 WiiU
Mega Man 3 NES

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:50:16 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia

Damn.  I thought I had him the second time around.  >

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:53:54 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
Originally posted by: sunsetflip84
Great game that is hampered by the terrible hit detection. ^>^
Don't forget the asinine AI.  It always bothered me that the enemies seemed to vacillate back and forth from somewhat indifferent to hostile for little to no apparent reason.