Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Are all prototypes obvious? Are they?

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:29:06 PM
Tai (40)
(Tyler Patron) < Eggplant Wizard >
Saskatchewan
Are all prototypes obvious? or can some be sitting in a case making them look like the rest? Are there any words on a cart that would make it obvious ? noob Q~!

-------------------------

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:42:50 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I skipped over a prototype at a game shop because the label looked fake. My buddy snagged it because he'd seen that sort of label before, turned out it was standard Capcom in-house stuff. Also turned out to be a proto DreamTR needed, so I missed a lucrative opportunity on that one (he snagged it for $5). They do stand out, but you have to know what to look for.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:25:23 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Completely depends on the proto. Many times you have to take a shot in the dark and hope for the best. Here are a few examples of pictures I had from previous posts showing some obvious and not so obvious protos I own:

Wiz: I wouldn't feel too bad about not recognizing the label, not all Capcom protos had the label (I assume the 1 1/2" x 1"-ish central white sticker) that game had. Of the 6 Capcom NES protos I have, only 2 have that label. What was the game anyway?

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:03:15 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Game was 1942. I actually looked it over because I needed it for my collection at the time, but passed due to the label. Didn't even cross my mind that it could be a proto. Couldn't even tell the weight difference because I'd never held a regular 1942 cart. Oh well, just means my buddy helped DreamTR instead of me...plus I got a few items out of the Famicom lot he traded it for, so it was cool. And I call it vengeance for the Trolls proto he traded me for a Super Valis IV cart because he thought it was the actual release in horrid condition I traded it to Hakan for some sweet goodies, so I'd call it even

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:55:11 PM
Octopus (6)
(Tentacles or Gtfo) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Completely depends on the proto. Many times you have to take a shot in the dark and hope for the best. Here are a few examples of pictures I had from previous posts showing some obvious and not so obvious protos I own:

Wiz: I wouldn't feel too bad about not recognizing the label, not all Capcom protos had the label (I assume the 1 1/2" x 1"-ish central white sticker) that game had. Of the 6 Capcom NES protos I have, only 2 have that label. What was the game anyway?

What game is in the mario cart?

tentacles or gtfo

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:16:35 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Super Talking Jeopardy on one of the few Atari (not Tengen) proto NES boards I've seen. Very cool PCB on that one.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:17:34 AM
srh201 (114)
(Hootie McBoobins D.N.S.) < Bowser >
United States
those are some beat up carts... they would look good in serge's collection!

damn, its nice to see a bunch of protos all in 1 place!

Look, if you don't like the things that I post, don't PM me about it and don't start a war in a thread. Just FOE ME so you don't have to read my posts! That's why Dain put it there! Use it!!!

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:24:08 AM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Wiz: It was actually 1943..but yeah, a few of the games have that same vertical label (Legendary Wings, Bionic Commando, a Mega Man 2 I think, etc)

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:38:22 PM
Limbofunk (160)
(Otto Man) < King Solomon >
New York
There are also protos with production labels on them. I have a Caveman Game proto that just has a white label slapped over the top of a retail copy of Cobra Command.