Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

List of Korean Comboy Games

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:44:21 PM
edd (1)

(Edd Grant) < Little Mac >
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anybody knows of a complete list of games for the three Hyundai Comboy Nintendo consoles. I founa a partial list for SNES, but nothing for NES or N64. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it. I'm especially interested to know if any Star Wars games were released.

-------------------------
www.vintageconsoles.co.uk

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:00:37 PM
famitek (7)
(( )) < Crack Trooper >
Maryland
For NES, I've attempted to compile a complete list here. If anyone knows of other games that belong on that list (legit Comboy releases, not bootlegs), I'd be interested to know.

Unfortunately, no Star Wars games were released on the Comboy

Famitek - Hyundai Comboy and other info

I am searching for the Korean version of Phantasy Star 1 (SMS), and any Hyundai Comboy games I might not have. Let me know if you have any for sale or trade!

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:13:20 PM
Jon Solo (80)
(ジョン ・ソロ) < El Ripper >
Illinois
Famitek- there was a person selling a Comboy Devil World here a while back. I saw it was not on your list.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Dreamcast US collection - 83% complete. 
 42 games to go! 

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:01:56 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
I've been working on a list of these too, though I have been focusing on the NES as well. My list isn't publically available though, as of yet

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:40:18 PM
EarlyWorm (45)

(. .) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Yeah, devil world was available for comboy. It was in a black cart.  Don't know of any others.

Edited: 03/19/2013 at 07:05 PM by EarlyWorm

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:02:24 PM
EarlyWorm (45)

United States
bump for an interesting topic... any knowledge out there ????

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:32:50 PM
famitek (7)
(( )) < Crack Trooper >
Maryland
I think the only Devil World Comboy release was on a bootleg cart. There was a series of Comboy bootlegs that had "Comboy" written on them, and Korean on the edge of the cart label.

For instance, the Devil World at this link is a bootleg.

I am searching for the Korean version of Phantasy Star 1 (SMS), and any Hyundai Comboy games I might not have. Let me know if you have any for sale or trade!

Edited: 03/20/2013 at 06:40 PM by famitek

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:31:49 PM
EarlyWorm (45)

United States
Though it may be a bootleg... I am unsure.... the link you show points to a famicom version. The south Korean has a 72 pin version, but that version looks like the lower center picture on your link.... but that pix is labelled as famicom.
I sure wish I had more info on these carts, including the bootleg series. There may be some unusual titles out there ala HKGC carts. And probably just as hard to find.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:44:40 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
That's a nice list Famitek. All of the Korean CIB's I have are on that list.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:27:23 PM
famitek (7)
(( )) < Crack Trooper >
Maryland
Originally posted by: EarlyWorm

Though it may be a bootleg... I am unsure.... the link you show points to a famicom version. The south Korean has a 72 pin version, but that version looks like the lower center picture on your link.... but that pix is labelled as famicom.

The picture at the bottom center is the box art for the 72-pin bootleg, which is a part of the series I'll explain below.

First of all, here's a couple pictures of some of the carts in the series:

It's pretty easy to tell the bootlegs apart from the legit Comboy releases. This should help:

Legit Comboy box:
- Has Nintendo seal of quality in English or Korean on the front
- Most (but not all) have a copyright notice from Nintendo or the developer on the back
- All have "Hyundai Electronics" (????) written on the side of the box in Korean, usually with the green and yellow triangle next to it. Most have the Nintendo Entertainment System logo on the side as well. Konami releases have the Konami name and logo on the side.
- Has "Made in Japan" either on the back of the box (most games) or the top flap of the box (Megaman 3 and maybe others)

Legit Comboy cart:
- Has the name of the game in English on the end of the cart
- Has the Nintendo seal of quality in English or Korean on the front of the label. Most, but not all, also have the words "Korean Version"
- Has "Made in Japan" on the front of the cart, along with the game code (NES-whatever-KOR)
- Has the caution label in Korean on the back, along with the English words "HYUNDAI Nintendo KOR"

Bootleg series box:
- Has "ROM PACK" seal of "quality" on the box
- Has the words "COMBOY HOME VIDEO GAME SYSTEM" on the front, sides, and back of the box
- Has a predominantly black box design
- Has no copyright notice
- Has "Made in Korea" on the back of the box
- Poor image quality typical of bootlegs

Bootleg series cart:
- Has a label that wraps from the front of the cart, over the top, and down the back (see the photo above)
- The name of the game on the end of the cart is written in Korean
- Has "ROM PACK" seal of "quality" on the front of the label
- Has the words "COMBOY ROM PACK" next to "HOME VIDEO GAME SYSTEM" on the front of the cart
- On the caution label on the back, the only English words are "Comboy" and "Korea"
- Has poor image quality, like the box

Although this isn't a way to tell since they can be switched, the original Comboy games come with plastic sleeves like regular North American releases, but the bootleg carts come in a cardboard sleeve laminated with plastic, with the Korean Comboy logo and "Comboy" in English (see the picture above).

Hopefully this sets the record straight. If anyone notices any exceptions to these rules, I'd be interested in hearing about them!

(Not sure why, but I can't seem to get "Hyundai Electronics" in Korean to show up as anything other than question marks. If you can help me out, let me know!)

Edited: 03/25/2013 at 11:37 PM by famitek