Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How's everybody like the AVS?

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:40:42 PM
Sargon (46)
(Chris ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Is there any ETA on the fixed connectors?

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:53:11 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Sargon

March-May.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:10:49 AM
Dr.Graffin (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Sargon

What was the problem?  Was it on only certain units?

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:54:12 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Dr.Graffin

What was the problem?  Was it on only certain units?

bunnyboy accidentally shipped it with a connector that was too shallow for all carts to make a good connection, the most predominant of those being the "green strip" carts whose pins on one side are pulled back from the edge about 1/4".  I say accidentally as once this became a known thing, bunnyboy chimed in that he'd realized this was an issue and created a fix for it but accidentally sent the wrong cart connector board/specs to the folks manufacturing them for him.  This affected all units out of the first batch and, per what I recall reading, bunnyboy ordered replacement connectors for all original launch systems so that anybody being affected by this issue could get it fixed later on.

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:15:29 AM
pizzapizzazz (0)
< Cherub >
I'm very happy with my AVS! I'm having issues capturing footage with my mac using it though, but that's unrelated/a "me" problem. It's played everything I've tried with it flawlessly. I'm curious to check out some of their homebrews.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:35:02 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: pizzapizzazz

I'm very happy with my AVS! I'm having issues capturing footage with my mac using it though, but that's unrelated/a "me" problem. It's played everything I've tried with it flawlessly. I'm curious to check out some of their homebrews.

Try updating the firmware to v1.10 if you have not already. There were a few compatibility fixes on there. I know the elgato game capture works better after the update. 

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:49:39 PM
pizzapizzazz (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Mog

Originally posted by: pizzapizzazz

Try updating the firmware to v1.10 if you have not already. There were a few compatibility fixes on there. I know the elgato game capture works better after the update. 

Good to know, thanks! I'm using a Black Magic mini recorder, but hopefully this will still help.

May 16, 2017 at 1:16:33 AM
matchbook (36)
(Marcus ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Ahh I really want one. I have been eyeballing them for a while. I'm trying g to talk myself into it  

WTB Thread:  http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Trade Thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 19, 2017 at 7:22:10 AM
roadkill (1)
(Road Kill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: TiredKorok

I've really been wanting to get one but i can't seem to justify owning an original nes and the avs at the same time, and yet i also can't justify selling my original nes for the avs
It seems so cool though!

I'm in the same boat. I have the Hi-Def NES, so I'm already playing NES games in HD and at 1080p. There's features on the AVS I wish the Hi-Def NES kit had, and vice versa.

Features I like that are on the AVS but not Hi-Def NES kit:
  • Scoreboard
  • Extra Sprites
  • Ability to turn original NES controllers into turbo controllers, including how rapid you can make the turbo buttons be
  • Built-in Game Genie with library of codes, very convenient

Features I like that I have with the Hi-Def NES kit but not on the AVS:
  • Audio panning: I like that I can tinker with ALL the audio channels to my liking and get some really awesome sounding stereo audio from my NES games
  • 1080p of course
  • In-game menu
  • Still original hardware; Sorry to say, but I still prefer the original NES Front Loader design to the AVS, despite how awesome the AVS looks
  • Composite output
  • CPU overclocking
  • Emulated VRC7 extra audio (useful for the EverDrive)

So yeah, I like the AVS, but still can't justify having both the AVS and Hi-Def NES. Maybe some day....

I edit my messages far too many times because of my OCD. So be on the lookout for that  

Edited: 05/19/2017 at 08:35 AM by roadkill

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:40:11 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Now that some time has passed, I have some questions/concerns regarding firmware updates and game compatibility:

1a) Have there been any NES game compatibility regressions between firmware updates where a game will work and then not work or glitches out after the next firmware update?
Unfortunately, I think I would need to actually own an AVS to do my own niche compatibility testing since the reviews I've seen tend to focus on staple games like contra, punch out, and castlevania 3.

1b) Have there been any Famicom game compatibility regressions between firmware updates?
All you weebo's that love to explore the famicom's vast library have you needed to upgrade/downgrade at all to play _____ famicom game?

2) How's the time between firmware updates been? Anyone been waiting close to a year to play a somewhat common game (not related to the green-strip/connector issue)?
The wait between game compatibility firmware updates for the Retron 5 slowed soon after release and whatever bones they did throw only added compatibility for a couple games. It's certainly not an even comparison, but is a similar concern I have about the AVS due to the nature of this feature.

Edited: 07/07/2017 at 02:42 PM by Brachabre

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:26:09 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
It never gets old playing the AVS. Played SMB2 with the AVS over the weekend with the 12yo and had a BLAST!

There is something about the AVS running so sweet on a 4K TV that is hard to explain. Crisp as shit graphics, hard to go back to dinky little CRT  .

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:09:43 AM
LifeGame (63)
(M D) < El Ripper >
Quebec
Just got mine yesterday...uploaded some scores for gradius and marble madness to begin...loving it so far and waiting for my wireless controller

NES games to finish my licensed set -S.E. :  DOWN TO 2

LITTLE SAMSON, DINO PEAK

NES licensed : 674/677

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:55:03 PM
Bigdiver (0)
< Cherub >
Received my AVS about week or two ago. Myself, wife and son have been playing it like crazy. The picture and sound quality are incredible. Love the game genie option built it. Nice looking and solid construction.

Cons- Even though this is one of the new units it still has green cart issues.
I also have have had a main menu bug, where in certain games when I use my controller short cut, the top and bottom of the main menu is cut off.

**Both I have been in communication with support about, and they are working with me to resolve

All and all a fantastic unit, and we'll worth the money.

Edited: 09/28/2017 at 12:58 PM by Bigdiver

Sep 28, 2017 at 1:10:21 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: roadkill

Originally posted by: TiredKorok

I've really been wanting to get one but i can't seem to justify owning an original nes and the avs at the same time, and yet i also can't justify selling my original nes for the avs
It seems so cool though!

I'm in the same boat. I have the Hi-Def NES, so I'm already playing NES games in HD and at 1080p. There's features on the AVS I wish the Hi-Def NES kit had, and vice versa.

Features I like that are on the AVS but not Hi-Def NES kit:
  • Scoreboard
  • Extra Sprites
  • Ability to turn original NES controllers into turbo controllers, including how rapid you can make the turbo buttons be
  • Built-in Game Genie with library of codes, very convenient

Features I like that I have with the Hi-Def NES kit but not on the AVS:
  • Audio panning: I like that I can tinker with ALL the audio channels to my liking and get some really awesome sounding stereo audio from my NES games
  • 1080p of course
  • In-game menu
  • Still original hardware; Sorry to say, but I still prefer the original NES Front Loader design to the AVS, despite how awesome the AVS looks
  • Composite output
  • CPU overclocking
  • Emulated VRC7 extra audio (useful for the EverDrive)

So yeah, I like the AVS, but still can't justify having both the AVS and Hi-Def NES. Maybe some day....

• Emulated VRC7 extra audio (useful for the EverDrive).... Doesn't the AVS do this as well?

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:18:07 PM
roadkill (1)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: tbone3969

Emulated VRC7 extra audio (useful for the EverDrive).... Doesn't the AVS do this as well?

No it doesn't, it just only supports games that have the actual extra sound channels' hardware, something the original stock NES is incapable of without modification.

I edit my messages far too many times because of my OCD. So be on the lookout for that  

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:25:12 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: roadkill

Emulated VRC7 extra audio (useful for the EverDrive).... Doesn't the AVS do this as well?

No it doesn't, it just only supports games that have the actual extra sound channels' hardware, something the original stock NES is incapable of without modification.

Gotcha.  I have the Famicom Castlevania III and it sounds awesome on the AVS.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:30:05 PM
roadkill (1)
Pennsylvania

Gotcha.  I have the Famicom Castlevania III and it sounds awesome on the AVS.

Of course, because you're listening to the real VRC6 sound chip   . Also, the AVS has the expansion audio channel volume levels greatly balanced (even better than the AV Famicom).

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:58:33 PM
RAC83SNES (4)
< Crack Trooper >
California
My AVS arrived about a month ago. It works very well and the games look amazing in HD. I enjoy experimenting with the settings and the built in Gamegenie is very convinient. My only complait is the console feels flimsy and makes me feel like I am going to break it whenever I insert a game. I normally stay away from clone consoles due to this issue but Retrousb sold me on this but so far I am satisfied with the AVS but this is far away from replacing my official NES.

Trade/Sale Thread:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Feedback (TFW2005 and Ebay)

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/jun...

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayI...

Edited: 10/22/2017 at 12:34 AM by RAC83SNES

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:38:29 PM
alpenanews0506 (78)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
I noticed a weird anomaly while playing Super Mario Bros. 2 on my AVS. Not sure where to post this so I put it here. MODS feel free to move if you see fit. Anyway like I said was playing SMB 2 on my AVS and was having more trouble progressing through the game than I normally do then I noticed something. If you hold the dash button down on the NES you will run over items, while playing on the AVS if you hold the dash button it forces you to pull up every item you run over. You can't dash over them. Why is that? Why am I experiencing a difference in game play from one system to the other? Help from anybody on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:41:39 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: alpenanews0506

I noticed a weird anomaly while playing Super Mario Bros. 2 on my AVS. Not sure where to post this so I put it here. MODS feel free to move if you see fit. Anyway like I said was playing SMB 2 on my AVS and was having more trouble progressing through the game than I normally do then I noticed something. If you hold the dash button down on the NES you will run over items, while playing on the AVS if you hold the dash button it forces you to pull up every item you run over. You can't dash over them. Why is that? Why am I experiencing a difference in game play from one system to the other? Help from anybody on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have Turbo turned on on your AVS?

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:49:12 PM
alpenanews0506 (78)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Just checked in the AVS settings and turbo is off, but your suggestion got me thinking. I use a NES Four score as basically a controller extension cord and wouldn't you know the B turbo button on that was pressed on. Problem solved. Thanks for for the speedy response and help. Your a great guy Gloves!

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:49:43 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
No worries, glad you got it solved!  

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:54:50 PM
battlelord60 (0)

< Cherub >
Alberta
First off id like to say I love my Avs, it's like reliving my past in high def. Was their a suggestions topic that was started for extra options we would like to possible see in future betas? its just I thought of a cool idea,can the AvS support a mode that allows certain games with a slow frame rate (eg contra forces) to run at normal fps? is it possible?

Edited: 11/05/2017 at 10:00 PM by battlelord60

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:11:00 PM
Doomberg (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Arizona
Its even more awesome on a 4k t.v. because of the even pixel integer scaling

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:47:29 AM
Doomberg (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Arizona
wish it had scaler settings besides horizontal scaling. but the score board makes up for any miner flaws it may have