Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Does NA really get a bad rap?

LOCKED TOPIC

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:58:43 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: PolarBear

There's actually a good way to test if this is true. Start a new thread criticizing VGA and graded games, and see what happens to your thread.

Actually, if someone wants to criticize anything, they can, as long as their arguments are sound and the tone is respectful. If it's just a stupid rant of useless negativity and a row of unjustified accusations, then yes, they'll get called, just like someone who would start a random thread to say that cart-only collectors are just cheap asses (which they aren't naturally).

This has nothing to do with elitism, it is all about being respectuous to everyone around, which is one of the thing everyone is praising the forum for in this very thread.

-------------------------

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:04:36 AM
PolarBear (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(John Williams) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: guillavoie

There's actually a good way to test if this is true. Start a new thread criticizing VGA and graded games, and see what happens to your thread.

Actually, if someone wants to criticize anything, they can, as long as their arguments are sound and the tone is respectful. If it's just a stupid rant of useless negativity and a row of unjustified accusations, then yes, they'll get called, just like someone who would start a random thread to say that cart-only collectors are just cheap asses (which they aren't naturally).

This has nothing to do with elitism, it is all about being respectuous to everyone around, which is one of the thing everyone is praising the forum for in this very thread.

Negative.  I've seen countless respectful and well thought threads on that topic terminated.  The claim is always "the thread got unruly or uncivil and had to be closed"  Yet there is a fart topic and a NSFW thread currently active, but of course, those are okay.

Again, I challenge anyone to start a thread on it and see what happens. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:09:23 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

Originally posted by: guillavoie

Negative.  I've seen countless respectful and well thought threads on that topic terminated.  The claim is always "the thread got unruly or uncivil and had to be closed"

Well, I must admit I haven't seen such threads for a long time, and for the reasons you exposed as well. I can give you the benefit of the doubt, if you could dig some of these civil threads that got locked for nothing, I'm all ready to look at them and give props to you.

Edited: 07/24/2014 at 03:17 AM by guillavoie

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:17:46 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Your first problem op is your listening to hypocrit pat and his podcasts. Listening to him and ian talk about current states of collecting a year or two ago made my ears bleed it was so ignorant, full of terrible comparisons, and just hypocritical throughout. It was terrible.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:47:46 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
I think It's so lame that anybody in this day and age is even under the impression they are a big deal because they make Youtube videos. That was cool like seven years ago. We also chase away our biggest douches on this forum, so maybe that's what he dislikes about this place.

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:08:54 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Nintendo Age is a great place; however, not everything here is all roses.

The part of NA that I don't like is the rampant hypocrisy thrown about, all over the forum. These "repros" are good but those "repros" are bad. We aren't allowed to sell questionable items on the site during yard sale time, yet a different member was allowed to sell a bottle of homebrew with his game. Etc. Things like this just really make me throw up my hands in disgust at times, because NA is the best site for where people can meet others that are extremely knowledgeable in this area of games, yet at the same time, this sort of nonsense is also allowed to run rampant.

I also have tons of problems with the database itself, and the process in which items are added, deleted, etc. A Sachen game can be released in Italian packaging, with the name of an Italian distributor on it, yet it doesn't receive its own entry in the database. Yet a German Star Tropics game receives an entry. I often feel that the way things are presented in the database are done in a way to help those that have some sort of "interest" or "gain" in the items being that way, rather than to accurately portray things. I have ruffled feathers about things like that in the past, but after pointing out various (confirmed) mistakes, I think they aren't being changed for a reason. Someone even suggested something like this regarding the rarities one time, though I don't know if it is true.

At this point in time, I think NA is the BEST resource out there for Nintendo collecting; however, it also has some major flaws, so I can see why some people take issue.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:15:30 AM
theJudeAbides (0)
(Jude Parrill) < Little Mac >
Minnesota
My 2 cents as a newcomer, mostly a lurker, and sometimes poster:

I do think this community tends to be a bit elitist, but that doesn't mean it isn't welcoming... so long as you share the same views as the majority here.

Want to ask a question about reproduction labels? Prepare to get hated and have your thread locked.
Think putting games in a VGA box is silly and anti-gaming? That's nice, prepare to be shouted down in any thread you post about it.
etc, etc...

I'm not here to start an argument about either of these topics or any other "hot-button" topic. My point here is, unless you fit in with the what's considered the "status quo" around here, you'll likely be marginalized. And that can rub some people the wrong way.

Me, I've never really thought I fit in "properly" around here as I tend to disagree with several of the "status quo" opinions. I'm ok with that, but that's also why you don't hear a much from me. There are several interesting and insightful things around here that I do like and pay attention to.

Finally, a point was brought up about about people spending absurd amounts of money on their games. I have no problem with how anybody spends their money. It's their money. But the fact remains, it still takes a lot of money, and some people view "spending a lot of money on video games" as being equal to "rich" and rich people are very often considered elitist. While I do disagree with this generalization to a degree, I do see it come out occasionally, not in any blatant or obvious way, but usually in sly, subtle ways. I doubt those doing it even realize they're doing it or that somebody might see it as elitist... but it's out there.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:32:42 AM
JimJames (154)
(Sir Digby Chicken Caesar) < Kraid Killer >
United States
I dislike the insane concentration of complainers. A few people in this thread need to kick rocks.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:46:21 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
People call elitism when they aren't included in something or disagree with a respected member in a hostile manner. If you're respectful, you get respect back. The mods and admins here do a good job at keeping those hot heads in line, though there are a few here and there. My take on it is if someone is calling this place full of elitists, they're just too insecure with their collection/thoughts/life and probably have similar conflicts in the real world.

Or, as Jimjames said, some people need to kick rocks.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:52:18 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
I can see how someone will defend themselves if shit-talked on a site, right or wrong. And I wasn't around here when Pat was made active threads either. With that said, I don't see elitist status a lot here, just knowledgable collectors who help others. Love this place.

As for the database PM me. I WILL make NA the place people come to for help with their Nintendo collection, but I need all your help.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:07:07 AM
bgmz282 (6)
(mike mccaskill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I have been treated exceptionally well in my short time here. Perhaps some places just aren't for some people

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:20:39 AM
rarecube (7)
(Val Cruz) < Crack Trooper >
Australia
Originally posted by: JordyRamone

In last week's he mentioned Nintendo Age and said we had an elitist attitude toward collecting.

I wonder what he thinks of SGH then .... 

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:29:17 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: theJudeAbides

My 2 cents as a newcomer, mostly a lurker, and sometimes poster:

I do think this community tends to be a bit elitist, but that doesn't mean it isn't welcoming... so long as you share the same views as the majority here.

Want to ask a question about reproduction labels? Prepare to get hated and have your thread locked.
Think putting games in a VGA box is silly and anti-gaming? That's nice, prepare to be shouted down in any thread you post about it.
etc, etc...

I'm not here to start an argument about either of these topics or any other "hot-button" topic. My point here is, unless you fit in with the what's considered the "status quo" around here, you'll likely be marginalized. And that can rub some people the wrong way.

Me, I've never really thought I fit in "properly" around here as I tend to disagree with several of the "status quo" opinions. I'm ok with that, but that's also why you don't hear a much from me. There are several interesting and insightful things around here that I do like and pay attention to.

Finally, a point was brought up about about people spending absurd amounts of money on their games. I have no problem with how anybody spends their money. It's their money. But the fact remains, it still takes a lot of money, and some people view "spending a lot of money on video games" as being equal to "rich" and rich people are very often considered elitist. While I do disagree with this generalization to a degree, I do see it come out occasionally, not in any blatant or obvious way, but usually in sly, subtle ways. I doubt those doing it even realize they're doing it or that somebody might see it as elitist... but it's out there.

I disagree with some of the opinions too. Usually its the same handfull of topics that get started in which the same handfull of people respond to state their opinion that they have already stated a hundred times. When I see these threads (VGA, Repros are/are not the Devil, Where to make copy labels, OMGAWD the bubble!!!, etc) I just ignore them because I know what's inside the thread. Once you ignore those threads everything else is peachy.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:31:34 AM
mkiker2089 (17)
(Marshall Kiker) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
This site does seem elitist at times because there is a very strong vocal group that will surface to run off new people. I can link to countless threads all less than 3 months old where people with questions or ideas were immediately jumped. Instead I'll just pick one that I think exemplifies the problem. This is how new people are often treated. The OP removed his images but they were original custom label ideas and not reproduction labels.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:33:31 AM
Infamous Lunchbox (35)
(Ryan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Utah
NA, as a whole, is far from elitist. As TheJudeAbides stated, there are times when an unpopular opinion may get ganged up on, but honestly that happens in every single forum I go to.

I will say I've had an argument with a person from NA, but we settled our differences privately and civilly, like adults, and we're cool with each other. The End. Also there are about three people who have particular attitudes I personally don't care for, and I'd probably not get along with them in a day to day setting either. Oh well, who cares? I don't have to deal with them on a daily basis, and for that matter I don't even have to read their posts if I don't want to. Even then that's three people with strong opinions, none of whom I see post much now, not "all of NA!". And honestly if that's their thing, again, who cares? If you are really bothered by somebody with a differing opinion of game collecting, and attitude toward what is "right and wrong" within those parameters, maybe you shouldn't collect whatever that is. Because at that point you're not collecting something to enjoy, you're collecting to prove to others how "with the scene" you are. And even then, if that's your thing, cool, do that, just don't be a jerk about it. I think that's what we all want here, right?

Edited: 07/24/2014 at 08:35 AM by Infamous Lunchbox

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:35:11 AM
mkiker2089 (17)
(Marshall Kiker) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: leatherrebel5150

I disagree with some of the opinions too. Usually its the same handfull of topics that get started in which the same handfull of people respond to state their opinion that they have already stated a hundred times. When I see these threads (VGA, Repros are/are not the Devil, Where to make copy labels, OMGAWD the bubble!!!, etc) I just ignore them because I know what's inside the thread. Once you ignore those threads everything else is peachy.

Agreed about the common fight threads. That's what I call them anyway as they always end up that way with everyone just wanting to preach the same stuff. Someone mentioned threads getting locked. Actually if anything I think this site is the exception to where more threads need to get locked. These recurring threads are addressed so people need to search and stop making new ones.

Perhaps that's why the site seems elitist to newbies though? They drop in, ask a question, and are hit by old timers tired of seeing the question?

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:54:16 AM
lotz-o-boxes (81)
(Peter Kuhlman) < El Ripper >
Illinois
I think the main thing is that NA does not allow BS. Our Mods are always right there when you need them, and as a community, we actually look out for one another. Mob family.

Interest check for a Chicago NA gathering! http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:56:16 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
I can see where it can seem elitist, but it's a huge forum. There will be some elitist bastards, some really friendly people, a few pedophiles looking for prey, and maybe an Elvis impersonator or two, same with any large group. The number of banned profiles also may scare people off, but again, there's a lot of banned profiles cause there's a lot of people running through here doing stupid things.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:59:23 AM
bgmz282 (6)
(mike mccaskill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I would like to add also to the elitist thoughts. There are indeed several members of this forum who have ridiculous amazing collections that are in fact elite to the collector community. In all fairness, I think with the time, effort , and crap ton of money spent those guys have good right to feel elite... cause they are.

So I think its right to see it from the other side of the coin. I dont have the time nor the money that some have in this and if i did, i would be a little proud. So when I joined here i messaged Dain thinking he was a simple moderator with some questions. Im sure they where questions he's answered 100 times and he might even be real tired of the same ole same ole. However, he answered me and was polite about it. This is one of my examples of why i respect this place.

In conclusion, there are some elite collectors here and if they act as such put your big girl panties on. Have some respect for those who have invested much here. Dont take no shit but dont start any and i think all will be well. Just .02$ from the current noob

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:10:53 AM
Heartbreak7 (23)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
It's possible that people take the internet a little too seriously...

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:21:11 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
He seemed like a nice enough guy when I met him for the original Tetris World Championship.
Even introduced himself at one point as a "D-list internet celebrity" so he seemed to be fairly grounded about things.

But I attitudes can change over 4 years.

Also, it would be kind of silly for us not to admit that we have quite a few members that are elitist about certain aspects of the hobby.

There is no reason to take offense at someone stating the obvious.

Edited: 07/24/2014 at 09:22 AM by arch_8ngel

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:22:44 AM
N64 Gamer (17)
< El Ripper >
Other
I can kinda understand why Pat might feel a little negative about NA.

I remember the Pawnstars thread a little over a year ago where he was showing off his NWC copies. I thought that the episode was fine and I didn't see anything wrong with it but Pat received a lot of backlash and insults in that thread. I even read some members describing his looks and so on.
I'm not going to take sides here because there might be more history behind that entire ordeal that I don't know about. I don't know a whole lot about Pat or his opinions so maybe he might've said some things in the past. But judging from that thread, he did receive a lot of insults there so I guess I can understand if he felt a bit angry over that.

Personally though, I think NA is an awesome place and I enjoy it a lot here and I get a very friendly vibe from people here. While I may not be the most active member, I do lurk the majority of threads posted.

My WTB thread
Buying Zelda CIB NES/SNES/N64 games in mint conditions! (Both NTSC and PAL)

Also looking for Phantom Hourglass NFR Demo (PAL) and Twilight Princess NFR Demo (PAL)

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:07:26 AM
VGS_captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: mkiker2089

This site does seem elitist at times because there is a very strong vocal group that will surface to run off new people. I can link to countless threads all less than 3 months old where people with questions or ideas were immediately jumped. Instead I'll just pick one that I think exemplifies the problem. This is how new people are often treated. The OP removed his images but they were original custom label ideas and not reproduction labels.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&thr...
No, they weren't.   His original post showed off reproductions of exact existing labels with the word "reprint" very small underneath the seal.    That's why the first several posts in there are people jumping his shit.  

His intent was to showcase how awesome you could make a custom label look.  The OP since deleted those and everything's fine now.

As far as the Pat whoever mess, ask him if he has a pot and a kettle laying around anywhere.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:15:24 AM
VGS_Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Originally posted by: mkiker2089

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&thr...
No, they weren't.   His original post showed off reproductions of exact existing labels with the word "reprint" very small underneath the seal.    That's why the first several posts in there are people jumping his shit.  

His intent was to showcase how awesome you could make a custom label look.  The OP since deleted those and everything's fine now.

As far as the Pat whoever mess, ask him if he has a pot and a kettle laying around anywhere.

I'd also like to point out that Nyquest wasn't "run off". After the initial misunderstanding he began colaberating with several members on custom label ideas. His recent absense is due to being busy with moving into a new home. There's absolutely nothing "elitest" about anything that went down in that thread.

Videogamesage.com

Edited: 07/24/2014 at 10:15 AM by VGS_Br81zad

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:22:23 AM
GibbyVA (32)
(NESCAPADES ) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
I think the biggest reason it gets a"bad rap" stems from former members who were probably banned. I'll say that in all my years of visiting gaming forums, this is easily one of the best moderated ones ever.

Bullcrap and flaming isnt tolerated from anyone no matter if you're a new member or long time veteran of NA. You notice the low tolerance here immediately so there's no excuse if you get the ban hammer.

I personally prefer it. Valuable information and friendly devs/collectors/gamers all under one roof.

8-Bit Collection (no dupes) -  NES - 1,245 Famicom - 719  Master System - 255
Latest additions - AO, UXO, O-To-X, Rock Paper Scissors, Enigmacore, Cowlitz Gamers Adventure, Journey: The Game, Khan Games 4in1, Legends of Owlia

Edited: 07/24/2014 at 10:24 AM by GibbyVA