Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

texas members...post up!

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:08:59 PM
chupaskabra (88)
(Antonio Valdez) < El Ripper >
Texas
I'm in San Antonio and every time I try to go to a game store and I remember why I stopped going. I went to Propaganda Palace with the intention of picking up a cheap game I had a box for and only needed a cart. I asked about Rocky and Bullwinkle knowing it's a 5-10 dollar game. The guy proceeds to look it up and insists on 100 dollars, then says well that's a little high and offers to sell it to me for 75 instead. I'm not entirely sure how they're maintaining business with prices like that.

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:23:17 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Thats pretty bad. The problem with those selling tactics are how do you keep up with profits etc when you price on a whim. Cant stand lazy sellers who dont mark prices. Dont let that store get you down. Not all are like that.

-------------------------

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 06/25/2016 at 01:24 PM by quest4nes

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:16:10 PM
GameboyRicky (149)
(Ricky ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Texas
I'm in San Antonio and the only major game stores here are the 3 "Game Over Videogames" locations. Their prices are pretty high except for on Black Friday. On Black Friday they slash all their used games by half price which puts them about 10% lower then ebay prices. That is usually the only time i'll buy from there. There is a pretty good game store in News Braunfels (between San Antonio and Austin) called "D Pad" that I check out every once in awhile. Their prices seem to always be fair. (https://www.facebook.com/DPadOnli...)

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:11:50 PM
Heartkill (36)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Germany
D-Pad is a nice store. A small but decent inventory and the prices are pretty fair.

Game Over used to really slip up on their Sega pricing, but as of the last 6 months or so they finally caught on.

Please check my current WTB list!

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:21:32 PM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: Heartkill

D-Pad is a nice store. A small but decent inventory and the prices are pretty fair.

Game Over used to really slip up on their Sega pricing, but as of the last 6 months or so they finally caught on.
Lukie Games and Game Over used to be my go to place for manuals. They used to charge $5 for "premium" manuals and $1 for "common" manuals. Some of the locations I've been to have caught on and started charging eBay-esque prices for their manuals, but others haven't.

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:54:30 PM
Heartkill (36)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Germany
Originally posted by: Philosoraptor

Lukie Games and Game Over used to be my go to place for manuals. They used to charge $5 for "premium" manuals and $1 for "common" manuals. Some of the locations I've been to have caught on and started charging eBay-esque prices for their manuals, but others haven't.

The manual bins have been good to me, I snagged this one earlier this year for a fiver.

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:50:56 PM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:14:37 AM
M3CHK1LLA (8)
(robert thegreat) < Meka Chicken >
Texas

The manual bins have been good to me, I snagged this one earlier this year for a fiver.

thats nice...

i just sold a copy of the game...the guy was looking for the manual too.  im guessing your gonna keep it?

from texas or live here?  check in --->  http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&...

n64 test cart owner  collecting & trading - atari 2600, nes, snes, n64, game cube, genisis, sega cd, 32x, saturn, dreamcast, tg16, xbox, playstation 1 & 2

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:27:50 AM
Heartkill (36)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Germany
I just need a box now lol, not getting rid of it.

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:44:37 AM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas

FYI, complete copies also came with a poster. Don't know if it's something you'd want to get, but I figured I'd let you know. It looks like this:

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:50:51 AM
Heartkill (36)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Germany

FYI, complete copies also came with a poster. Don't know if it's something you'd want to get, but I figured I'd let you know. It looks like this:

That poster is sweet. I imagine tracking one down is tough but I'll be on the lookout for it, thanks!

I don't really get into CIB for Nintendo stuff but I have a handful of my favorites, this box and a Gun Nac manual are the last items I need. And now this poster haha.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:57:19 PM
M3CHK1LLA (8)
Texas
who all has gone to any of the retro expos here in texas? ive been to...

both 'lets play gaming expos'

retrofest 2 & 3

retropaloozas 1, 2 & 3

from texas or live here?  check in --->  http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&...

n64 test cart owner  collecting & trading - atari 2600, nes, snes, n64, game cube, genisis, sega cd, 32x, saturn, dreamcast, tg16, xbox, playstation 1 & 2

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:32:44 PM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas
I've been to 2 LPGE's, one retrofest, one retropalooza, and two SGC's. Got to meet Jim Sterling, which was awesome.

Edited: 06/29/2016 at 11:34 PM by Philosoraptor

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:16:50 AM
dukeofhurl99 (1)

< Ridley Wrangler >
Texas
I've been wanting to go to any gaming convention in North Texas. Almost went to Retropalooza 2 but I wouldn't have been able to buy anything so I passed. Maybe next year.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:56:05 AM
GameboyRicky (149)
(Ricky ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Texas
Originally posted by: M3CHK1LLA

who all has gone to any of the retro expos here in texas? ive been to...

both 'lets play gaming expos'

retrofest 2 & 3

retropaloozas 1, 2 & 3
I've only been to "Classic Game Fest" so far but I definitely want to check out the others!

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:09:17 AM
M3CHK1LLA (8)
Texas

I've been to 2 LPGE's, one retrofest, one retropalooza, and two SGC's. Got to meet Jim Sterling, which was awesome.

not familiar with sgc, where is it held?  when is the next one?  was it worth going?

the ones i know of are in the dfw area

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:44:24 AM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas

not familiar with sgc, where is it held?  when is the next one?  was it worth going?

It's the Screwattack Gaming Convention. It was in Dallas a couple years, but this year it looked to have been in Austin a few days ago. They have good panels and higher-profile guests than most conventions, but the admission fee is higher than other conventions.

It was worth going to if you wanted to meet internet gaming celebrities, check out or play the arcades, or go to some of the panels, but if you're just going to pick up games, I'd say not so much. 

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:26:02 PM
chupaskabra (88)
(Antonio Valdez) < El Ripper >
Texas
are there ever any game conventions in San Antonio or nearby?

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:41:04 PM
ginoscope (20)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: chupaskabra

are there ever any game conventions in San Antonio or nearby?

I think Pax South is in San Antonio in January of next year.  I never been but I was planning on going.

I have been to Let's Play and Retrofest here in the DFW area.

http://south.paxsite.com/...

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:06:14 PM
Webhead123 (30)
(Jordan S.) < El Ripper >
Texas
I went to Retrofest 2013 and had a good (if brief) time. I don't recall much in the way of special events but I was really just there looking for cheap pick-ups anyway and ended up doing well. Does Retrofest still happen anymore? I haven't been able to find any information about it in several years and sort of figured it got absorbed/replaced by Retropalooza.

Speaking of which, went to Retropalooza last year and had fun. Sat in on a game show panel with several web-personalities and it was hilarious. Pick-ups were also not terrible, although there was also a fair share of price-gouging. Just have to pay attention and take your time. There was one bit of hardware there that I regret not picking up, though it's probably best as I don't know that my wife would have appreciated me spending the money. There were also some cool non-video game related vendors there with some nice work on display. Friend of mine bought a few art prints.

I totally blanked on Let's Play Gaming Expo this year. Would have gone if I had remembered it. Have never been, so I can't speak to the experience.

There's also the National Video Game Museum that recently opened in Frisco. Haven't been yet but planning a trip with the kids real soon.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Now Playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Switch)
Last Beaten: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-2929-9013-9208

Edited: 06/30/2016 at 01:08 PM by Webhead123

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:27:50 PM
Heartkill (36)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Germany
I went to the first Retropalooza in 2014 and PAX South both years, all were enjoyable. Moving soon so I'm glad I got to make it to a few of the TX happenings.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:29:44 AM
M3CHK1LLA (8)
Texas
Originally posted by: Webhead123

I went to Retrofest 2013 and had a good (if brief) time. I don't recall much in the way of special events but I was really just there looking for cheap pick-ups anyway and ended up doing well. Does Retrofest still happen anymore? I haven't been able to find any information about it in several years and sort of figured it got absorbed/replaced by Retropalooza.

Speaking of which, went to Retropalooza last year and had fun. Sat in on a game show panel with several web-personalities and it was hilarious. Pick-ups were also not terrible, although there was also a fair share of price-gouging. Just have to pay attention and take your time. There was one bit of hardware there that I regret not picking up, though it's probably best as I don't know that my wife would have appreciated me spending the money. There were also some cool non-video game related vendors there with some nice work on display. Friend of mine bought a few art prints.

I totally blanked on Let's Play Gaming Expo this year. Would have gone if I had remembered it. Have never been, so I can't speak to the experience.

There's also the National Video Game Museum that recently opened in Frisco. Haven't been yet but planning a trip with the kids real soon.

i think that one was the first retrofest, which i missed.  i went to the 2nd & 3rd one which was this past march.  this one is put on by magdiel (not sure if he is on n.a.), but he did/does camera work for the game chasers.  really nice guy....met him billy & jay before they started doing the retropaloozas.  the show is smaller, but great if you are looking at trading or picking up games for cheap.  also, its $4 or 5 general admission and 100% of the proceeds go to send kids to summer camp.

retrofest is also where i found out about lpge...christian (supraguy88t) and christian (ferris bueller) were rolling around a shopping cart with a lcd screen, with a couple car batteries hooked up to a cool frankenstein machine playing megaman lol.

but yeah, as far as i know they are still 2 seperate events.  seems retrofest has a facebook link  --->  https://www.facebook.com/groups/r...

Edited: 07/02/2016 at 01:55 PM by M3CHK1LLA

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:58:28 PM
M3CHK1LLA (8)
Texas

It's the Screwattack Gaming Convention. It was in Dallas a couple years, but this year it looked to have been in Austin a few days ago. They have good panels and higher-profile guests than most conventions, but the admission fee is higher than other conventions.

It was worth going to if you wanted to meet internet gaming celebrities, check out or play the arcades, or go to some of the panels, but if you're just going to pick up games, I'd say not so much. 

lol...it looks like screwattack is this weekend in austin...

http://forums.screwattack.com/vie...

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:49:10 PM
CaptainN (0)
(Tim ) < Cherub >
Texas
Tim here from San Antonio. I can totally identify with chupaskabra and others who think the prices are outrageous locally...we're talking 2-3x eBay!!! Anyways Im always on the lookout for fairly priced game stores or folks who want to swap doubles. Let me know if ya'll have recommendations.

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:01:27 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
How the hell do you guys deal with the heat?

Ayy yoo pizza bie!