Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

RIP Greg Martin - Seminal box artist of flintstones 2 and dozens more new pics will be added in the coming days

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:52:29 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: GamingSuperHero

Had no idea he was the man behind all these masterpieces! Greg is a legend! Definitely an inspiration!
Thanks.   I'm sure he would have appreciated that.    I'm probably just scratching the surface of his body of work overall in this thread.  

I have got a high % of the video game work noted here at least, though.

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:03:05 AM
Entity (83)
(M H) < Lolo Lord >
California
Originally posted by: Bronty

Thank you for posting that nice clear image. Much appreciated.

One of the people that attended the estate sale was kind enough to buy this binder for me. Mostly correspondence on flintstones projects, but there were these two pencil versions of that same cover in the binder also. You can see they went with one and didn't use the other.

That is the craziest most obvious morbid awesome idea I've never thought of. Go to the person's house when they die in case the family plans on selling all their stuff at an estate sale.

Those sketches are so rad. Post some more!

Want List.
Trade List.

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:24:59 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Please don't be disrespectful particularly when you don't know the facts.

The family had an estate sale recently that I was unaware of and things were being actively sold to the public.  

The person in question purchased the book locally at the estate sale and contacted me through another member on this site. I ended up purchasing the book as a result.     I literally got a pm saying so-and-so ebay user read your article about Greg and wants to speak to you.    Janet was her name and she was an antique seller who yes, goes to estate sales to purchase things.    She had purchased a few things already including this binder, and I got her to buy some paintbrushes that Greg used to use that I wanted as a momento.  

Maybe estate sales are a bit morbid in general but, well, you can seen how if you were interested in antiques or an antique seller like Janet, you'd have to get used to estate sales.   People pass, sadly, but life has to go on.    Janet was kind enough to include some other neat momentos like a photo of Greg at about 12-13 years old and a drawing he did when he was 11.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 07/21/2014 at 07:42 PM by Bronty

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:44:12 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:09:35 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

Original painting of The Human Duplicators movie poster staring the late Richard Kiel done by Greg Martin.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:48:44 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
thread about fake greg art on ebay. Anyone reading this please report this guy to ebay.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:31:37 AM
eric.of.troy (99)
(... Eric?) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Reported. Thanks for bringing this up!

I do custom things!!  -->  Eric's Sales Thread

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:02:37 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Thank you very much

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:26:06 AM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Some amazing work here Bronty thanks for sharing

May the force be with you.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:39:01 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
It's funny. Growing up I had always noticed a similar style amongst certain game boxes, but I always figured it was different artists emulating the style of American cartoons. Never dreamed it was one guy, much less a former Disney/Hana Barbara artist.

I used to have a couple of his Sonic posters hanging in my bedroom. One of my favorite things to do as a kid was try and recreate them. Greg's passing is certainly very sad indeed.

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Edited: 11/25/2014 at 01:39 PM by Daria

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:53:44 AM
randomhajile (60)
(Sean Daigle) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I had no idea the same guy did all those covers, it makes sense now looking at them in context, but damn he was seriously prolific. Thanks for posting such an extensive overview of his work. I would love to own any one of those original paintings so badly.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:05:40 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Glad to see the seller pull the fake Sonic sketch from eBay.

Edited: 12/03/2014 at 03:02 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:47:12 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
this thread needs a bump. Here's the "other dino peak" or dino nest, anyways. I love seeing Greg's other flintstones work

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:39:59 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Thanks for posting this Bronty it was news to me..... I can't believe the same dude did all of these wonderful works of art....just thinking of how many times I have looked at these and never put two and two together.

RIP

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:06:51 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
My pleasure. I love sharing a little about Greg's art with people. I think he would have loved to know that people appreciated the art and its a shame he passed too soon for that. He used to call me his "one fan in Canada." hehe

Edited: 10/20/2015 at 03:53 PM by Bronty

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:04:08 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Regarding his flintstones art, I should share that his sister told me the flintstones was sort of what started him on his career. He loved the flintstones right away and the characters were the first thing he started to draw - according to his sister could draw them perfectly at the age of four. Kind of neat to know he ended up illustrating his favorite childhood property

Edited: 10/20/2015 at 06:05 PM by Bronty

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:08:34 PM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan

Regarding his flintstones art, I should share that his sister told me the flintstones was sort of what started him on his career. He loved the flintstones right away and the characters were the first thing he started to draw - according to his sister could draw them perfectly at the age of four. Kind of neat to know he ended up illustrating his favorite childhood property

Oh wow, stories like this are always great to hear. It adds to the coolness factor.

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:36:52 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Forgive the necrobump. I was sorting my collection and came across this Sonic painting that Greg sold me years ago.
Great guy with so much talent. He will be missed.

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:47:05 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Really really nice Adam. Remind me what that was for? Promo?

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:58:48 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio

Really really nice Adam. Remind me what that was for? Promo?

While I don't recall a specific item i do think it was used for multiple items. Promos and/or magazine ads?

ahh here are a couple I just found with Google. I'm sure there are more, 

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:17:41 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Most pieces that I purchased from Greg came shrink wrapped. I'm split over removing the wrap. Part of me worries it might damage the art over time the other likes to keep it just as had them. To prepare for sales Greg printed Flintstones stickers to use as price tags. Some of these stickers would have prices written on them but not all.

Fun to imagine that somewhere out there some one who doesn't really know what they have has one of his video game cover paintings just sitting in their closet. An Antiques Roadshow discovery in the making.

On the backs he would often attach promotional flyers and postcards. They would have images of his other published works and his contact information.

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:44:08 AM
Bratwurst (79)
(Meat Meister) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: Buyatari

Most pieces that I purchased from Greg came shrink wrapped. I'm split over removing the wrap. Part of me worries it might damage the art over time the other likes to keep it just as had them.

If that's original art and not just prints you will want to get them out of that plastic. Cellophane/shrinkwrap can be acid-free but there's no way of knowing for sure with this instance unless you had checked with Greg and asked. The fact there's very little air in between would worry me.

Typically when art is framed there's a gap between it and the glass/acrylic so nothing's actually touching it. You should contact archivists at a few art museums to get advice on storage, don't just take my suggestion as law.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:06:38 AM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
This was a very moving thread to read through, and Dan, I hope you realize how much your passion for video game-related artwork has helped build the appreciation for it in many other members. Like someone else already posted, video game art to me has always been sort of thanklessly iconic; I absolutely cherish many of the covers featured at the beginning of this thread, and before I joined NA I had nowhere to place my gratitude for them, for I didn't realize exactly how deep that gratitude subconsciously ran. I had never heard the name Greg Martin before reading this thread, and I never realized what a massive fan of his work I was until right now. I have you to thank for instilling Greg's legacy in me, Dan, and I'll take an extra few minutes when I get home from work tonight to appreciate the many pieces of his art sitting on the shelves of my collection room. Looks like he has had at least 3 fans in Canada all along  

www.videogamesage.com...

Edited: 11/14/2016 at 11:08 AM by Quaze

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:18:20 AM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Wow what a talent ... so many of those items were ones I loved the art of when I was younger. Sad that I missed this post the first time around so thank you for sharing!

Haves     |     Wants

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:39:51 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Quazonk

This was a very moving thread to read through, and Dan, I hope you realize how much your passion for video game-related artwork has helped build the appreciation for it in many other members. Like someone else already posted, video game art to me has always been sort of thanklessly iconic; I absolutely cherish many of the covers featured at the beginning of this thread, and before I joined NA I had nowhere to place my gratitude for them, for I didn't realize exactly how deep that gratitude subconsciously ran. I had never heard the name Greg Martin before reading this thread, and I never realized what a massive fan of his work I was until right now. I have you to thank for instilling Greg's legacy in me, Dan, and I'll take an extra few minutes when I get home from work tonight to appreciate the many pieces of his art sitting on the shelves of my collection room. Looks like he has had at least 3 fans in Canada all along  
thanks Jordan I really appreciate the kind words and I'm glad that you enjoyed the thread.   Greg would have liked that.