Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Ninja Gaiden Contest ends Sunday, 4/7/13 at 10 PM NA time

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:04:10 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Originally posted by: Space Jockey

Thank goodness, a game I don't own and really suck at anyway. I finally have a week to rest

x2   I'll take a participation point and focus on other games on the competition list.

-------------------------

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:45:12 AM
gnarblast (0)
(ryan f) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
first point pressing score. found a great spot to burn your extra lives. i found two 1-ups in the game. i don't think there are more than that.  782,800(+1,000 for having 1 extra life) i have a video of the final boss fights because i wanted to be sure to get my final score. this is a picture of the replay. 

also please check out my youtube page. i try and play through nes games. i try and keep the deaths minimum. http://www.youtube.com/user/Blast...

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 06:47 AM by gnarblast

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:36:35 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Score updated 4/6: 353,800

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 04/06/2013 at 07:14 PM by bearcat-doug

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:42:00 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: gnarblast

first point pressing score. found a great spot to burn your extra lives. i found two 1-ups in the game. i don't think there are more than that.  782,800(+1,000 for having 1 extra life) i have a video of the final boss fights because i wanted to be sure to get my final score. this is a picture of the replay. 

Sweet, can I take a picture of a video and call it my own as well?

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:54:58 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

782,800(+1,000 for having 1 extra life) i have a video of the final boss fights because i wanted to be sure to get my final score. this is a picture of the replay. 

You don't have a video of the entire run?

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:14:04 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
This glichfest of a game sucks ass! How come everybody likes it?!
That said, here is my score:175100
Participatin'

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:36:11 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
What glitches? Maybe your cart is dirty. I've had no problems.

This game is frustrating to record score, since it disappears once you die and is only on screen for a couple seconds as the screen flashes.

Last year I was almost able to get through with no deaths. The jump spin weapon is godly. Boss? Bzzzt dead. Haha!

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 02:37 PM by Zing

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:51:47 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
There's a glitch with the 3rd boss (the 2 jumping dudes) where a 3rd one will appear. I'm not sure what triggers it, but from what I can tell, it's not because the cart/pins are dirty. I've had it happen on emulator as well before I owned the game.

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:07:57 PM
gnarblast (0)
United States
i think it has to do with how you kill the non active statue. it's happened to me before. if i remember correctly, it happened right after i killed the inactive statue with the up flame.

also please check out my youtube page. i try and play through nes games. i try and keep the deaths minimum. http://www.youtube.com/user/Blast...

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:28:16 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

So, you have video of the boss fights, but not of this actual run?  All you have is a screenshot of your score in Windows Media Player and not the whole run?  I can't accept this score unless there is video proof of this scoring attempt.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:32:29 PM
gnarblast (0)
United States
Originally posted by: dra600n

Sweet, can I take a picture of a video and call it my own as well?

i made the video myself

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:33:50 PM
gnarblast (0)
United States
i recorded the video from the final boss fights because i wanted to be able to pause the video to get my final score since the score fades away really fast. i can upload it to youtube if you want. if you want me to record a full game play through, that is fine

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:40:50 PM
gnarblast (0)
United States
bimmy, can i send you the video privately? i don't want competitors knowing what i'm doing. since you're not in the contest, i'll send you a link to the video with my strategy.

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 06:41 PM by gnarblast

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:41:33 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

i recorded the video from the final boss fights because i wanted to be able to pause the video to get my final score since the score fades away really fast. i can upload it to youtube if you want. if you want me to record a full game play through, that is fine

Ask me why I shouldn't be suspicious of the score if all you posted was a screenshot of the score and not a video link to it in the first place.  And also the fact that all you have is a video recording of the final boss fight and not the whole run.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:43:02 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

bimmy, can i send you the video privately? i don't want competitors knowing what i'm doing. since you're not in the contest, i'll send you a link to the video with my strategy.

Way to be a team player in a friendly competition

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:43:20 PM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

So, you have video of the boss fights, but not of this actual run?  All you have is a screenshot of your score in Windows Media Player and not the whole run?  I can't accept this score unless there is video proof of this scoring attempt.

The picture did not make sense at all. A full recording is acceptable, and a few participants have submitted them in the past. At this point, I also want to suggest recording yourself playing it with your nametag taped to the bottom of the TV so that we know it is you.

And yes, send it to bimmy only for the reasons you mentioned.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:43:44 PM
gnarblast (0)
United States
f that. all of you seem to think i'm cheating. you guys can go kick rocks

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:44:53 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

You can go kick rocks.  Don't come back to my contests ever again.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:48:51 PM
gnarblast (0)
United States
so even if i record video a video camera with my name taped to the tv, my score won't count now? that doesn't seem fair. i'm offering video proof of my score and it's not good enough.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:00:51 PM
ookii_risu (66)
Pennsylvania

so even if i record video a video camera with my name taped to the tv, my score won't count now? that doesn't seem fair. i'm offering video proof of my score and it's not good enough.
At this point, I don't think a submission without your nametag is acceptable due to the dubious nature of the picture you posted and the fact that you didn't have the entire run recorded. 

And, well, you basically told us all to piss off, so I really don't know what more I can say...

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:03:48 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

You have some stones. Telling the contest runners to kick rocks, then ask to be reconsidered? Honestly, if it were me, I would've disqualified you after you couldn't produce a Tetris video that was even remotely close to the score you posted. You should be thankful you got as far as you did.

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:02:44 PM
gnarblast (0)
United States
i was the only one asked to do more than a normal contestant needed to do in order to submit an acceptable score. that isn't fair and i attempted to stand up to it. it seems that fighting back probably wasn't worth it. "I can understand getting frustrated about it, but you should have just shrugged it off and produced another run" is what i was told. if you just had the best ninja gaiden run of your life and someone said, "ok, do it again for it to count.", i think you would be a little upset. it's unfortunate because even if i made a video, nobody's going to believe it because my videos are all direct capture off of the console. basically, if you fight for fairness, you'll get kicked. i don't have a problem with that but at least i'm attempting to fight for fair treatment. had i just shrugged it off and didn't say anything, i would have been fine and been able to compete? that seems pretty lame. anyway, i had fun competing with you guys and good luck on the games to come. peace

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:18:20 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

i was the only one asked to do more than a normal contestant needed to do in order to submit an acceptable score. that isn't fair and i attempted to stand up to it. it seems that fighting back probably wasn't worth it. "I can understand getting frustrated about it, but you should have just shrugged it off and produced another run" is what i was told. if you just had the best ninja gaiden run of your life and someone said, "ok, do it again for it to count.", i think you would be a little upset.it's unfortunate because even if i made a video, nobody's going to believe it because my videos are all direct capture off of the console. basically, if you fight for fairness, you'll get kicked. i don't have a problem with that but at least i'm attempting to fight for fair treatment. had i just shrugged it off and didn't say anything, i would have been fine and been able to compete? that seems pretty lame. anyway, i had fun competing with you guys and good luck on the games to come. peace

Your scores were suspicious at best and you had the opportunity to resubmit scores when asked, but you chose to argue with people instead.  How is that fair to others that you should try to talk your way out of having to resubmit your score?  You are not the only one this year that has had a score disqualified.  Those other people re-submitted scores without too much complaint.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:20:15 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Dude, you screen capped a Windows Media Player screen, you screwed with your Donkey Kong screen shot, and posted ridiculous scores in a very short period of time after your first score was posted.

Ninja Gaiden isn't that difficult of a game until you enter the last level. Your scoring was probably done way before level 6-2 or 6-3, so you should have had zero issues redoing the run. Your questionable score posts is plenty reason to show your NES with your name tag in visible view being powered on and your run for proof.

It's highly suspicious that you're having all these "greatest runs of your life" shortly after someone beats your score, only to have an insane score with questionable proof. We're not idiots here, and people have been caught cheating in previous years. If you weren't cheating, it definitely sucks, but if you were, good riddance.

ETA: And yea, you can say "well your scores weren't questioned dragoon", but I stream 99.9999999999% of all my gameplay - whether in competition or not. People would easily call me out if they thought I suddenly accelerated my skill in a game to obtain a superior score.

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 08:21 PM by dra600n

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:20:35 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

i was the only one asked to do more than a normal contestant needed to do in order to submit an acceptable score. that isn't fair and i attempted to stand up to it. it seems that fighting back probably wasn't worth it. "I can understand getting frustrated about it, but you should have just shrugged it off and produced another run" is what i was told. if you just had the best ninja gaiden run of your life and someone said, "ok, do it again for it to count.", i think you would be a little upset.it's unfortunate because even if i made a video, nobody's going to believe it because my videos are all direct capture off of the console. basically, if you fight for fairness, you'll get kicked. i don't have a problem with that but at least i'm attempting to fight for fair treatment. had i just shrugged it off and didn't say anything, i would have been fine and been able to compete? that seems pretty lame. anyway, i had fun competing with you guys and good luck on the games to come. peace

And if you're going to quote me, I would appreciate you not using my words to make you look like a martyr.  You get defensive when people question your scores and it raises suspicions and red flags when it happens.  I can understand getting frustrated about it, but you should have just shrugged it off and produced another run.  Instead, you argued with others about why your score should be considered valid.  This is all I have to say on the matter.  Let's move on with the contest.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 08:23 PM by bimmy_lee