Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Mendel Palace Contest ends Sunday, 10/13/13 at 10 PM NA time

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:52:37 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Originally posted by: Mr. Juliano

I have 2 copies of this game and I would like to donate it to this weeks #2 of the competition

While I said it was okay for you to want to donate a game to the weekly competitions, I only ask on thing: why give the prize to second place rather than the first place winner?

Probably because he was going to show everyone here who's Boss

-------------------------

Edited: 10/10/2013 at 12:53 AM by guillavoie

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:21:27 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I think the time may be close to implementing some sort of filter and/or stricter rules to prevent yahoos like this guy and the idiot from
the previous thread from disrupting these contests as all these shenanigans (as well as stuff I have not mentioned) have put a damper on my willingness to participate.

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:30:37 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I think the time may be close to implementing some sort of filter and/or stricter rules to prevent yahoos like this guy and the idiot from
the previous thread from disrupting these contests as all these shenanigans (as well as stuff I have not mentioned) have put a damper on my willingness to participate.

Well, I think Bimmy and I have been quick enough to battle off this guy.To inform everyone, Manfromholland and Mr. Juliano were the same guy, an old member that has been banned several years from now (Dutch), but that have tried regularly to come back on NA and cause trouble. This time, our own contest was a target, and it didn't really worked even if he did some harm somehow by his nuisance.

For the rest, gutsman, I would reassure you that whatever happens or may happen, I'm confident to say that the better players that competed in the contest have all been legit players, and it is something that is worth rallying up to. I'm thinking a lot about you here, cause we all would like you to come back in the competition as a regular player.

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:49:31 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
I just want to reiterate what guillavoie said. This was an isolated incident and this guy decided to target our contests. All he wanted to do was cause some NA vets trouble because he is a bitter individual and that's what he tried to do with guillavoie. We have had a couple yahoos in here this year that have tried to disrupt the fun for whatever reason, but if people decide to stop participating because of a couple incidents that were handled quickly, we are letting these guys win. They want to cause trouble in order to spoil our fun, but every time they have tried, they have failed. Again, don't let a few idiots turn you away. That's exactly what they want, and if people start dropping off because of it, then those guys are winning.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:21:33 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I figured they were the same guy. Plus he said he was from Germany,yet his location said Alabama.... Alabama just so happens to be in Germany apparently. -_- I know you and guillavoie do a great job with the contests,I was just thinking about further safeguards to help prevent further trolling/harassing/cheating/whatever else kind of shady stuff I'm not thinking of at the moment. As they say in MTPO... "Let's keep it clean!"

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:10:43 AM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I just want to reiterate what guillavoie said. This was an isolated incident and this guy decided to target our contests. All he wanted to do was cause some NA vets trouble because he is a bitter individual and that's what he tried to do with guillavoie. We have had a couple yahoos in here this year that have tried to disrupt the fun for whatever reason, but if people decide to stop participating because of a couple incidents that were handled quickly, we are letting these guys win. They want to cause trouble in order to spoil our fun, but every time they have tried, they have failed. Again, don't let a few idiots turn you away. That's exactly what they want, and if people start dropping off because of it, then those guys are winning.

I'm still around and just caught up on some of these isolated incidents.  You guys (both you and guillavoie) handled it great. I  just made a rule this time to only participate if I own the cart or somehow find it in the wild. Been busy with work/life at the moment so haven't had a chance to get out and find the games.

But, I'll be back next week for Castlevania (just in time for Halloween!)

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:53:46 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: gutsman004

Well, I think Bimmy and I have been quick enough to battle off this guy.To inform everyone, Manfromholland and Mr. Juliano were the same guy, an old member that has been banned several years from now (Dutch), but that have tried regularly to come back on NA and cause trouble. This time, our own contest was a target, and it didn't really worked even if he did some harm somehow by his nuisance.

For the rest, gutsman, I would reassure you that whatever happens or may happen, I'm confident to say that the better players that competed in the contest have all been legit players, and it is something that is worth rallying up to. I'm thinking a lot about you here, cause we all would like you to come back in the competition as a regular player.

I'd say the bolded part sums everything up pretty well.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:39:26 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
no troll will stop me from playing

i have thoroughly enjoyed these contests week in and week out

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:46:26 AM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Wow, I just found a big secret in this game! You can get a 70,000 point bonus on almost every stage in the upper right hand castle. It's the one with those guys who draw on the floor. Let them cover the ENTIRE floor with drawings and the stage will end, giving you the bonus. You can also speed things up by sliding tiles until they become solid (many tiles in this castle behave like this). All that matters is that there are zero moveable tiles on the screen.

I just tried this out and was able to get almost a million points in that castle alone!

Most of me wants to thank you for the tip in the floor-drawing palace.  While helping my score, I can't get the million that you do, and that tip has also added a new dimension of stress when playing the game.  I have mixed feelings

Playing through the Zelda games:

Complete: The Legend of Zelda (8/1/13); Zelda II (1/6/14); Zelda LTTP (5/18/14); Link's Awakening (4/8/15); Ocarina of Time (2/7/16)
Up Next: Majora's Mask

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:54:04 PM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: smick

Most of me wants to thank you for the tip in the floor-drawing palace.  While helping my score, I can't get the million that you do, and that tip has also added a new dimension of stress when playing the game.  I have mixed feelings

I hear ya.  It gets pretty frantic in there.

I should probably stress that you should probably use solid tiles instead of drawings on the stages with the blue doodlers.  Pictures from blue doodlers create more enemies.  On that note, I wouldn't try for the bonus on round 8, since there aren't enough solid tiles to avoid drawings.

The stages with pink doodlers are okay.  You should be able to fill the screen with pictures relatively easily.  Hint: It's easier with 6 of them on the screen, so that they do most of the drawing before the game speeds up.

I would also recommend not doing the doodler castle right away in the game.  Your character seems to speed up as the game progresses, and I think you need the extra speed to pull off these bonuses.  This will also hopefully bulid a stockpile of lives that will help you complete the castle.

This is one tough game!  I did a YouTube search and saw this video of the final stages.  The first few seconds say it all!   (WARNING: It's loud)

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:55:34 PM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
This is one tough game!  I did a YouTube search and saw this video of the final stages.  The first few seconds say it all!   (WARNING: It's loud)

I'm waiting for you to put up a score... I'm curious to see what's possible. 

Complete: The Legend of Zelda (8/1/13); Zelda II (1/6/14); Zelda LTTP (5/18/14); Link's Awakening (4/8/15); Ocarina of Time (2/7/16)

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:58:26 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
I predict a score around 3 millions for Tom

Edit: After going further into the game, I think Tom will probably get higher than 3 million, maybe 3.5-4 million.

Edited: 10/13/2013 at 07:57 PM by guillavoie

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:33:49 AM
EoTN (9)
(Eskimo Of The Night) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Okay, after too many hours of failure, I found my groove, and flew! I had over 20 lives going into the last two areas, being the swimmers and final castle. I suck at the swimmers, and come out with 14 lives. I beat the last area with two lives left! I thought I had won the game, but no, freaking cloud castle ruins that dream. It kicks it up to eleven, and I was done before I really even begun. Oh well, final score: 2,515,410.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:37:18 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Nice score here man!

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:51:29 AM
EoTN (9)
(Eskimo Of The Night) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Nice score here man!

Ha, thanks! This is the single most time I've spent practicing a game for this entire competition. Glad that it paid off! I'll be adding this to my small NES library soon! A crazy fun action puzzle game, who would've thought?

Edited: 10/13/2013 at 01:51 AM by EoTN

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:53:44 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Yeah this game surprise a lot of players. There's definitely a lot of depth in it when you're playing for highscore.

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:06:47 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
i had a blast with this game, as well, my daughter like it too...so that is the REAL win for me

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:41:22 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I wish I had more time to play this week so I could have posted a better score, but at least I was able to bump it up a little.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:04:44 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Update: 370,470

I wish I had more time this week too. This was a game I wanted to play again and was looking forward to when I saw it on the schedule, but a lot happened this week to keep me from playing more than I wanted too. I'm going to work so this is it for me.

Edited: 10/13/2013 at 02:04 PM by EgasKrad

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:30:14 PM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas

This game is pretty fun, but damn hard. I might try to sit down and beat the whole game one of these days.

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:52:54 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

I wish I had more time this week too. This was a game I wanted to play again and was looking forward to when I saw it on the schedule, but a lot happened this week to keep me from playing more than I wanted too. I'm going to work so this is it for me.
Puzzle games are my weakest genre and since this was my first time ever playing Mendel Palace I didn't expect to do very well. There are only seven contest games this entire half that I've played before, so I'm just hoping to get a decent tournament spot and take it from there.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:55:37 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:28:17 PM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
For you guys in the 2-millions - great work!

I need a day or two off from the game, but I'd like to try to beat it someday. I had a great time playing this week, and I found a nice game to add to my NES collection.

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:28:51 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Just a note to everyone that I am starting the new contest a little early because I will not be around at 10 to post it. Mendel Palace is still going until 10 PM tonight and is not ending early. If you're tired of this game, give Castlevania a try

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:23:14 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

Would have started on this sooner but I had to emulate (my first time ever doing so) and I was holding out on finding a real copy locally with no luck. I only played for about 20 minutes

Pretty fun game, definitely rewards memorization. At least this will get me some pity points.

Also bimmy I hope it's okay that I didn't go until Game Over, I have to leave to do real life stuff and decided to just end my run early.

Too bad I won't win Mr. Juliano's awesome prize!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^