Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Not "just another NWC cart auction"... The Ultimate NWC Package Ends tomorrow Monday afternoon! Tell your collector friends!!

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:08:35 PM
Gamemaster Howard (5)
(Howard Phillips) < Crack Trooper >
Utah

The Ultimate Nintendo World Championships 1990 Package (cart + collector items)

Ends Monday around 5pm PDT

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD TO ALL YOUR COLLECTOR FRIENDS!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200908989744

Ultimate NWC Package

If an NA member wins, I'll make sure to throw in some unlisted goodies to sweeten the win ; )

Have at it!

BACKGROUND

In 1990 Nintendo put on a major national event-based promotion named the Nintendo PowerFest. The cornerstone of the PowerFest was the Nintendo World Championships. One of my responsibilities while at Nintendo was to help design the PowerFest and the Nintendo World Championships event including designing the NWC cartridge. In doing so I worked with Nintendo staff to select the games, determine the progression criteria, and establish the fixed time for the contest. You could say that I designed the NWC cartridge and therefore CART #0126 has unique value as a collector item.

This auction is your chance to own a unique piece of Nintendo history, each item is from my own personal collection.

NWC CART #0126

NWC CART #0126 is my personal copy of the 1990 Nintendo World Championships cartridge that I helped design and I used NWC CART #0126 for practice before press demonstrations, etc. Included with this NWC CART #0126 is a Certificate of Authenticity signed by me.

ALL ACCESS BADGE

This ALL ACCESS BADGE is one of only three worn by me during the 1990 Nintendo World Championships, allowing me full access to all areas of the event in each city that it was held. To my knowledge this item is very rare special in that my recollection is that event staff had STAFF badges and very few ALL ACCESS badges were printed and given to Event VIPs such as myself. When I arrived at each NWC event venue, I put the ALL ACCESS BADGE around my neck and went anywhere and everywhere I wanted. Included with this ALL ACCESS BADGE is a Certificate of Authenticity signed by me.

PRESS KIT

This PRESS KIT is my personal copy used by me during the 1990 Nintendo PowerFest / Nintendo World Championships as a reference when speaking with the press, etc. I carried this PRESS KIT under my arm back and forth across the country to the many NWC event venues. The contents of the press kit are as follows;

1 Press Kit glossy folder
15 printed press releases
16 8x10 glossy photos
  8 press clippings
  1 Nintendo PowerFest 1990 brochure
  1 Nintendo World Championships 1990 brochure

Included with this Nintendo PowerFest / Nintendo World Championships 1990 PRESS KIT is a Certificate of Authenticity signed by me.

PACKAGE CONTENTS CONDITION

CART #0126 plays as I design it ; ) The housing has minor scuff marks and the label is in good condition but top edge has peeled up (a common sign of age).

This ALL ACCESS badge is in shiny unscuffed "like-new" condition.

This PRESS KIT is is worn on the edges due to use (I carried it to each NWC event) but the contents are in perfect condition except some small rust staining around the paper clips on the press releases and press clippings. The 8x10 pictures are in pristine "collector-quality" condition. The brochures are in very good condition having slight scuffing on the covers.

TO WHOEVER WINS THIS AUCTION

It is my sincere hope that these items end up in the hands of an enthusiastic collector, not a reseller. I look forward to communicating directly with you the collector, sharing memories from those fantastically fun days of the NWC and 8-bit NES era and answering any questions you may have...

By now you should have realized that this is not your average NWC cartridge auction - the provenance of these items is unparalleled and so,

...now is your chance to own a truly unique piece of Nintendo History.

Edited: 03/25/2013 at 12:32 AM by Gamemaster Howard

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:10:33 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Bids in! I have two of those press photos but I had no idea there were *that* many. Makes me think there are even more.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:26:23 PM
DailyNostalgia (18)
< Kraid Killer >
New York
Very nice - Good luck on the auction

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:33:28 PM
DreamStar (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Bryan Sensei) < King Solomon >
United States
Good Luck Howard on the auction,I'm sure you'll have no problem getting some high bids on this.Some lucky collecter will be very stoked to get this very awesome and very special package!Once again good luck!

-------------------------
Do unto other's as you have them do unto you: Matthew 7:12

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:44:41 PM
SteveOh (6)
(Steve O) < Crack Trooper >
Illinois
I can't wait to see what this ends at.

Gamemaster Howard: I sent you a private message.

Check out my Retro Gaming Blog: http://classicgamesblog.com

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:47:48 PM
BenPlusPlus (2)
(Ben Baird) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Wow, what a great auction. I'd bid if I could, but I'm sure you'll have no shortage of interest at all. Good luck!

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:48:46 PM
stinkerhubbin (87)
(King Jeremy the Wicked) < Kraid Killer >
Washington
Hot damn, nice auction there Mr. Howard! Will be keeping an eye on this one! Good luck and hope an NAer snags it

My favorite Digimon in the whole pokedex is Goku.

My FS/FO/FT Thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

My WTB Thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:24:46 PM
corebass420 (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Michigan
Awesome!

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:29:45 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
Awesome. I totally want this! Best of luck with your sale!

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:36:29 PM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
Very nice!

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:41:10 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
The extra stuff is pretty awesome, especially since it's all from the same original owner. Should get a really good chunk of cash for it.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:51:03 PM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
Howard the game masters NWC????
My. Dear. God.

Good luck to both buyer and seller.
This is an awesome auction for sure.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:05:04 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I really hope an NA member wins this.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:30:30 PM
Gamemaster Howard (5)
Utah
Originally posted by: gutsman004

I really hope an NA member wins this.

me too ; )

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:43:04 PM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
This is a great deal. Good luck.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:03:42 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I can see this sell for more then any NWC has ever sold before.

Playas Guide Logo

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:25:19 AM
EvilEyeball (24)
(Liam Turner) < Kraid Killer >
British Columbia
I AM NOT WORTHY! I AM NOT WORTHY!

-- Currently Collecting --
Canadian Loose 24/64
First Party NES Accessories: Need only Hands Free Controller

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:13:55 AM
ProtoScott (26)
(Mr. SpaceBeard) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Gamemaster Howard

Included with this NWC CART #0126 is a Certificate of Authenticity signed by me.

This is probably one of the most bad-ass statements I have ever read.

Seller: How do I know this is real?

Howard: Cause I said so.

Good luck on the auction, I wish I wasn't a poor college student so I could actually bid on it.  One of you wealthier NA members better win this thing! It would be a shame if this great stuff fell off of the radar.

Hey you!! Got some Mega Man games??? Wanna sell 'em???

Well Click here ----> http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

If it isn't checked off PM me!!

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:51:22 AM
DreamStar (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Bryan Sensei) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: nes_pimp

I can see this sell for more then any NWC has ever sold before.

I'd say your right ,simply because Howard is the Game Master and he was a well known Nintendo employee.And because he was involved in designing the NWC cart and involved with the whole contest I'd say this package will sell for well over 10K.

Do unto other's as you have them do unto you: Matthew 7:12

Edited: 03/23/2013 at 06:52 AM by DreamStar

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:06:12 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: ProtoScott

Good luck on the auction, I wish I wasn't a poor college student so I could actually bid on it.  One of you wealthier NA members better win this thing! It would be a shame if this great stuff fell off of the radar.

If I hadn't just gotten laid off in the past month, I probably would have thrown a bid in. Good luck to Howard and the lucky person who ends up with this great package!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:18:58 PM
mike99mccarthy (2)
(Mike McCarthy) < Crack Trooper >
Florida
I don't log on for a few days and then this? Awesome!!!

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:12:14 PM
DailyNostalgia (18)
< Kraid Killer >
New York
Looks like less than 6 hours till the auction ends

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:14:22 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
(Robin Mihara) < Bowser >
Oregon
Bump for Howard. And a FYI, that folder is the real deal. Only people involved with the Universal City finals got one as far as I know. It isn't like the hats, brochures, ticket stubs or other "regional NWC stuff" where anyone who was at a normal city could find one.

Finalist swag is rarely ever seen. And that badge? never

www.ecstasyoforder.com...

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:05:21 PM
Romarqable (40)
(Robert Martin) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Jersey
Since Gamemaster Howard here is selling his copy of NWC... obviously it isn't one of the 90 given away. So there were more than the suspected 116 carts known to exist. Interesting... how many more Nintendo reps got to take home one of these carts aside from this one?

Current Collections:
NES: 729/776, 710+ with variants, 220+ Boxes, 206+ Manuals
Super NES: 181/773
N64: 297/298
Virtual Boy: 14/14 - Loose Collection Complete! 2/2 NFRs as well
Tiger Game.com: 20/20, 16 Sealed; Loose Set Complete!

Might be the only jerk on the planet looking for a NIB Game.com set. If you got any, PM me!

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:25:49 PM
Gamemaster Howard (5)
Utah
Originally posted by: Romarqable

Since Gamemaster Howard here is selling his copy of NWC... obviously it isn't one of the 90 given away. So there were more than the suspected 116 carts known to exist. Interesting... how many more Nintendo reps got to take home one of these carts aside from this one?

Good question. I recall the availability of the NWC carts to be very limited due to the nature of the public contest and the legalities of operating such a contest. We obviously couldn't legally allow a sales rep, toy distributor, member of the press, member of the staff, etc. to let a friend (or a friend's kid - ack! ; ) to unfairly access the cart and practice in advance of competing. For this reason the number of carts was kept at a minimum and control over them was very tight.

I can't recall whether the carts were given away before the end of the national competition. I think afterwards as I believe the number of carts made was primarily to serve the competion - meaning each cart was actually used in one of the competition stations for the entire competition start to finish. In addition, it would make sense that a *few* carts (I don't know how many) were available as back-up extras and replacements.

If more carts were passed around internally at Nintendo then I believe we all would have seen more show up on the open market than we have...