Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2011 Weekly Contest Presents: Attack of the Killer Tomatoes Contest ends Sunday, 10/16/11 at 10 PM NA time

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:30:10 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

Hey everyone.  In keeping with the Halloween theme, this week's contest is going to feature another horror themed game, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.  Yeah, it's a sucky game, but it fits the theme.  Here are the rules:

• 1 life only
  • Try to get the lowest score possible
  • No intentional point racking
  • Participation: Get to Level 2

The contest ends Sunday, 10/16/11 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name must be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  Good luck everyone and have fun!

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 10/16/2011 at 10:31 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:40:53 PM
Natendo (87)
(The artist formerly known as Nechestriah) < Ridley Wrangler >
Georgia
just played it again for the first time in a really long time - this one is gonna take some patience.

Good luck people!

youtube.com/user/natebit

WTB: 
Rescue Rangers 2 Manual  •  Fire N Ice Manual  •  Rad Racer 3D Glasses
Also, I'm always hunting for Complete Nintendo Powers and  loose Box/Manuals for NES - PM me if you have any extras!

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:49:19 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
I just played it for the first time...this is horrible...
I am just going to meet participation points...although it will take a couple tries.

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:27:37 AM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
BENIHANA 5600

Take that you stupid tomatoes!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:19:53 AM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
It's really not that bad, it gets pretty weird near the end and if you don't know what to do it's quite difficult. So hard to jump on the tomatoes right, especially the small ones.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:02:09 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina

Damn sucks. Got to the boss with the organ, and one last pipe to break and the jerk just won't throw the rock at it.

Edit: beat that cheap ass boss. My guy just kept throwing rocks at the wrong pipes, ones already broken, I had to get directly underneath that last one and throw it, which also resulting in taking a hit, thankfully beat him, died on the next level with the beefsteak tomato and the conveyors, didn't yet know what to do here with that robotic arm chasing me. My score was probably too high, point racked unintentionally on the organ boss trying to beat him, which seems that you can just sit there and throw rocks forever at already broken pipes and keep on earning points, thought I was actually doing damage still but wasn't, so going to try again and make sure not to hit them too many times. Who would've thought though that you can keep racking points off of something that should be considered a dead part, and totally safe from harm at that. Stupid ass programmers. Either that or its a flaw only by playing on emulator, but I highly doubt that.

I think this game is terribly glitched, I got to the organ boss again and got hit when I only had 1 hit point left, I was still able to move around and finish him off, but once I busted all of the pipes I died. About to quit this one. Will give it a few more tries, getting tired of this one.

Flipped upsidedown in the area with the beefsteak tomato, don't know how, and didn't know what the hell to do here. Geez, this game is screwy.

Edit: okay, I get it, I hit a switch on the wall in the background, hardly noticable until I looked real good for something different, but I died anyway before I could figure out where to go once the gravity is switched.

Score upon 1st death 18,400

See a later post for better score.

Edited: 10/11/2011 at 03:46 PM by Miss Clawful

Oct 11, 2011 at 1:33:39 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
There is definitely a problem with cheap racking points on the organ boss. We got to fix a rule about it, something like you can't have more than 'xxxxx' points pass the organ boss.

Oct 11, 2011 at 2:00:44 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Kept playing the game after I died just to see what lay ahead. I got to credits then there was another level after that, could not find my way through that maze of a level and used up all my continues there. I'm going to guess that as the last level of the game, if so, its pretty darn short, but not entirely easy.

Oct 11, 2011 at 3:44:41 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Beat Attack of the Killer Tomatoes without dying. Yeah, no kidding. If I would've known I was going to pull that off I would have recorded it. Now I feel compelled to play again to try to record a no death game. Provided 2 pics, right before beating it and the ending shot with score. First new game beaten in a very long time and no deaths even better. Not that I like the game any better. I'm still playing it, so its not a total loss, but still sucks.

Score upon beating game without dying 21,600

See latest post, did it again.

Edited: 10/11/2011 at 04:55 PM by Miss Clawful

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:34:21 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
Meh.  First time ever playing this... I might update later.

I'm going back to Dark Souls now. kthxbai.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Edited: 10/11/2011 at 04:35 PM by MuNKeY

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:54:42 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Beat it again, second time in a row without dying, higher score too. And, have it recorded, will have to upload soon, once I rerecord it and if need be break it up into small enough segments.

Score upon beating game without dying 25,700

Once again, see another post further down to page for better score.

Edited: 10/12/2011 at 02:35 AM by Miss Clawful

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:57:41 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: guillavoie

There is definitely a problem with cheap racking points on the organ boss. We got to fix a rule about it, something like you can't have more than 'xxxxx' points pass the organ boss.

I say we just make a no intentional point racking rule.  Does this sound good to everyone?

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:06:43 PM
acomicbookguyc (350)
(Cristian Romero ) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I say we just make a no intentional point racking rule.  Does this sound good to everyone?

No point racking sounds good because then everyone could easily rack points to the desired amount we tell them not to pass. 

Help me complete my N64 set!
225/296 Carts - 228/296 Manuals - 236/296 Boxes
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:10:51 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Sounds fair, since you could pretty much point rack anywhere in this game.

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:21:52 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
No intentional point-racking here. I was having a hard time hitting the last two pipes before I died

Not sure if I'm going to play this again. We'll see....

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:23:44 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Had video links here, but updated in another post with a better ones.

Edited: 10/12/2011 at 11:54 AM by Miss Clawful

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:35:57 PM
GhaleonsDeadMyFriend (137)
(Ghaleon's Dead My Friend) < El Ripper >
United States
Nevermind, I messed up.

Edited: 10/11/2011 at 08:37 PM by GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:52:17 PM
United States
Originally posted by: GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

Nevermind, I messed up.

Okay, fixed.  Didn't see the part about using 1 life. Gets a bit more challenging after that little detail.

Edited: 10/11/2011 at 09:32 PM by GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:11:32 PM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Ridley Wrangler >
Missouri

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:57:37 AM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
My review from another thread, posted here for fun:

Originally posted by: Herbalist

Yay! I can contribute one finally! 
Most times I beat a game and check to see someone beat me to it. 

Attack of The Killer Tomatoes! 

Possibly THE shittiest NES game I've sat through. bad controls, super short, no challenge, 1? boss. 

Theres a boss at the end of the first "level" I guess. I say level because its literally like 20 seconds long. The stages are unnumbered and the only real challenge is the mazes, which are simple trial and error regardless. There is a tomato machine boss thing, which is challenging, but only in its cheapness. Once only 1 canon is shooting tomatos its almost impossible to damage it without taking multiple hits. Then the game teases you with a fake ending. Your thinking, ending? I thought this was level 4???
Oh the suspense! Then you have to travel through a maze inside a tomato. Same basic 4 types of enemies, no challenge. 
This game sucks, really, really sucks.
It is a steaming loaf in the NES library.
It doesnt even have the redeeming value or charm some so called shitty games have.
I'm like Wiz, I enjoy a crap game like Total Recall, but this game seriously blows the fattest erection. 

Edited: 10/12/2011 at 01:01 AM by Herbalist

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:34:45 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

New score. My 3rd time beating the game, and once again without dying. This ain't so bad afterall, the difficulty, not the game, its still not good. But its starting to grow on me, hey, didn't say it downright sucked this time. I don't mind that the game is short, sometimes the shorter a game is the more often I end up playing it, sure its not no Marble Madness, and not even as decent as Jaws, but its okay despite its flaws once you get used to it. Recorded this one too, hopefully it'll come out much better as I have the camcorder zoomed in on the action, but also kind of broke my camera when getting ready to take a picture, dropped it and the lens broke halfway loose, lens is all wobbly now, took forever to get an okay pic that wasn't grainy and/or blurry, glad I was able to get it working somewhat again to take a pic. I played a more risky game this time, taking as many paths as I felt safe to do to get some extra points and stomped on enemies that I pretty much avoided my previous couple games.

Score upon beating without dying 32,500

Video to go along with my score:

Edited: 10/12/2011 at 11:53 AM by Miss Clawful

Oct 12, 2011 at 8:54:00 PM
United States
Just a general question regarding lives used. When a contest states we are only to use one life, why would screenshots featuring the number of lives at "2" be considered acceptable? Wouldn't that mean the user could use an unknown amount of that second life to increase their score? Just curious.

Edited: 10/12/2011 at 08:55 PM by GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:05:38 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

The way I see it for this one, doesn't seem to be any ways to gain extra points via tricks or combos against enemies or such, so if a score is like way out there, especially early in the game, it could be questionable. Can't see anyone getting too high of scores for this one, unless they get lost in the maze like levels, or are having trouble getting through the infinite number of tomato enemies constantly coming at you, or, are point racking intentionally, or in the case of the organ boss, accidental, at least til you know how to fight him, shouldn't be any excuse after that though (that is one lame ass boss, can point rack it to death without even trying). I haven't experimented on ways to earn more points, but it seems pretty straight forward and basic, kill enemies get points, find money bags get points, seems to be the extent of it.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:23:34 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

Just a general question regarding lives used. When a contest states we are only to use one life, why would screenshots featuring the number of lives at "2" be considered acceptable? Wouldn't that mean the user could use an unknown amount of that second life to increase their score? Just curious.

A lot of games we play you can't tell how many lives the person used at all. There are also some games you can't pause the game before your life counter changes.

It's for fun, nothing to win or loose. If someone really wants to cheat, it really is not that hard to do. I just feel sorry for anyone that feels the need to cheat, cause they still suck

Edited: 10/12/2011 at 10:25 PM by Mog

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:27:57 PM
GameBoyScotty (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Don Keyballs) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Pics aside...You'll have a 5,000 score when ya clear the 1st level. Get the points and move on. I was finally going to start participating in these Gauntlets this week until I saw what game was being played. Not a fan. Maybe next week, or after I get moved I'll jump on some of these.