Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sharing my PSP Collecting Guide and Excel Checklist If you're interested in collecting US UMD games for PSP, start here!

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:43:24 AM
MrNESGuy (33)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
[UPDATE]: I just updated my collecting guide and spreadsheet after almost 3 years.  The link below still works.  The updates I've added since version 1.3 include:
Collecting Guide:
  • Updated grammar/structure.
  • Removed material regarding Fifa ’14 in light of physical US release found in retail.
  • Clarified materials needed for Hilton Family disc play based on recently discovered materials
  • Increased the full set U.S. game count by one to 612 in light of recently found Fifa ’14 physical release.
  • Updated GaijiinWorks section to reflect Class of Heroes 3 not being released in physical form due to pressing plants shutting down prior to release.
  • Added Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep decal preorder bonus.
UMD Collection Checklist Spreadsheet:

• Fixed typos.
  • Added WWE All Stars, Atari Classics Evolved, Guily Gear XX, and Monster Jam: Path to Destruction to Favorites section.
  • Added Fifa 14 to Games List, increasing total count to 612.
  • Updated Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines Greatest Hits to exist, although rare.
  • Added info to denote misprint version of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Tactical Strike.
The link to the collecting guide and checklist are below. Please feel free to send me any feedback and to let me know if you find any mistakes or things that should be added (pre-order bonuses not listed, unofficial favorites not listed, strategy guide updates, etc.). Thanks goes out to u/PSPMan3000 over on r/PSP for helping me verify some items and prodding me to pay attention to the PSP again after almost 3 years.

Happy collecting!

[ORIGINAL POST]: Hi everyone.  I wanted to share some tools to help anyone who might be considering collecting for the Sony PSP system.  I know many people consider the PSP the red-headed stepchild of the Sony gaming eco-system and very few people collect for it, but I think it's a greatly undervalued system which pound-for-pound has almost no shovelware, especially compared to the Nintendo DS.  There's a large selection of newer and retro games available for the system as well as a decent number of RPGs (although not as many as the Vita).  

When I first started collecting for the PSP a few years ago, I was surprised that there was almost no information out there regarding the system and no site had a complete and accurate list of games released in the US on physical disc.  During the course of researching, hunting, and completing my PSP set, I spent a ton of time collecting any information I could find and now I want to share that knowledge for anyone else who may be interested in collecting for the system.  I compiled and cross-referenced every PSP game list I could find and searched each game individually to come up with a comprehensive list of what I believe is every PSP game released on UMD format in the US.  (My count is 611 games if you'd like to skip to the chase.) [EDIT 09/2019: Game Count is now up to 612.]

I've made an Excel spreadsheet checklist for collectors to keep track of their collection and a PDF guidebook for understanding how to collect for the system and what to look for.  I consider this a living document so will update it from time to time as there are still new things that may be discovered.  For example, "Favorites" games were not tracked completely by Sony so new Favorites versions of games are still being discovered.  Additionally, I'd like to make a comprehensive list of games that had guidebooks released but have not yet had time for that.  Feel free to reach out to me if you find any errors or have any other information to add.  

In my opinion, I really think it's a great time to collect for the PSP.  
The system is too old to be considered a current system, but not old enough to be retro yet. Prices have only just started to creep up from their lowest lows last year, but a system and a handful of solid games can be found for about $100.  I hope others have as much of a good time collecting for this system as I did!

****Dropbox link to my PSP Collecting Guide PDF and Excel Collecting Checklist****
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ixkwkid95snfob9/AAC2ZlvZ3r4D6EL60...

PS:  If you want to see what a complete PSP set looks like, here is a pic of mine which fits in one extended IKEA Billy bookcase, although the games are double shelved so it would be ideal if it had 2 bookcases worth of space.  Unfortunately, I have to keep my games in my office so I'm tight on space.

-------------------------
Currently searching for the manual for Game Gear Sports Illustrated game.

Edited: 09/30/2019 at 02:59 AM by MrNESGuy

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:08:58 AM
noquarter (16)

< Little Mac >
Maryland
Thanks, pretty comprehensive. Only really glossed over both documents, but will probably put them to use in the future.

I did have a question though. In the Excel sheet next to Patapon 2 you have 'Download only version exists that only has voucher in case, not UMD.' Is there a SCEA release that has a UMD in it or is it just Download code here?

Thanks again and nice collection!

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:20:53 AM
MrNESGuy (33)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Sony experimented with Patapon 2 and initially released a "voucher only" version which has a yellow bar at the top of the case artwork. It seemed that the backlash from (at least the US) was negative enough and Sony did eventually release a regular UMD version later on.

http://www.geek.com/games/patapon...

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:07:31 AM
MrNESGuy (33)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: noquarter

Thanks, pretty comprehensive. Only really glossed over both documents, but will probably put them to use in the future.

I did have a question though. In the Excel sheet next to Patapon 2 you have 'Download only version exists that only has voucher in case, not UMD.' Is there a SCEA release that has a UMD in it or is it just Download code here?

Thanks again and nice collection!

Thanks for your input.  I've already updated the list and added a pic of the download voucher version of Patapon 2 as well as another special pack-in version of a game.

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:59:10 AM
babywuchki (90)
(Chris ) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Holy crap man, that's awesome. Thanks for that, that's a lot of work and you deserve to be applauded for it.

Edited: 09/03/2016 at 03:15 PM by babywuchki

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:52:06 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Maybe a system and games can be found in your area but not mine...PSP games are hard to find...nearly as hard as Dreamcast games.

After Gamestop stopped selling them, they dried up around here. Which is a shame since like you said it's an undervalued system...people ignore it, meaning it SHOULD be easy to collect for...and cheap...two things I enjoy but nope, it's not.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:49:46 AM
TrekMD (13)
(Eugenio ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
Very nice. Thanks for sharing this!

Going to the final frontier, gaming....

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:16:09 PM
noquarter (16)

< Little Mac >
Maryland
Originally posted by: MrNESGuy

Sony experimented with Patapon 2 and initially released a "voucher only" version which has a yellow bar at the top of the case artwork. It seemed that the backlash from (at least the US) was negative enough and Sony did eventually release a regular UMD version later on.

http://www.geek.com/games/patapon-2-to-be-experimental-downl...
Thanks, I wasn't aware they ever released the UMD in the States, thought it was download only here.  Going to have to get that.

Also didn't know there was a slipcover for Birth by Sleep.

Appreciate you sharing all of your work here.

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:52:21 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
Just finished reading through the Collector's Guide. It's very very well put together, easy to read, and a total boon. Thank you!

Instagram
Wishlist

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:59:10 PM
Hellboy (1)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Crack Trooper >
Crimson Gem Saga is one hell of a game! I highly recommend it for collectors just starting to dive into PSP collecting 

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:12:40 PM
aguy (32)
< El Ripper >
California
Almost makes me want to hang on to my copy of Class of Heroes 2.

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:44:38 PM
Baddieboy Holden (0)
(Amiibo Collector) < Meka Chicken >
New Zealand
Very well written. Good job! PSP is much more complicated in PAL territories, unfortunately. There are the greatest hits, or Platinum, but then there are also another set of re-released called Essentials.
I really want to get a PSP to collect as handhelds are the only thing I really collect anymore, but a variant collector like me is going to have a really hard time with this.

Game Collection- 1025 as of 27/01/19 

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:58:17 PM
supraderk (10)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Very nice! Thanks for sharing and putting in the work to create that! I know your document is for US releases, but the PSP had a bunch of SHMUPS/Shooters released for it in Japan and since it's region free, they work on US systems just fine.  I know shooters tend to be highly collectable games alongside RPGs, so if this thread is just a place to consolidate information, here's my contribution:

These were the only 3 US released shooters that I know of (I'm not counting R-Type Command): Gradius Collection, Playtpus and Taito Legends Power-Up

Now starts the imports: Darius Burst, Kisou Ryouhei Gunhound EX, PC Engine Best Collection: Ginga Ojousama Densetsu Collection, Neo Geo Heroes and Parodius Portable

Salamander Portable, Sengoku Cannon: Sengoku Ace Episode III, PC Engine Best Collection: Soldier Collection, Star Soldier, Soreyuke! Burunyanman Portable Torimodose!

Twinbee Portable, Strike Witches: Shirogane no Tsubasa, Zero Cho Aniki

Edited: 09/03/2016 at 05:02 PM by supraderk

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:38:51 AM
Baddieboy Holden (0)
New Zealand
I'll say again, very comprehensive list!
Since seeing this, I was inspired to collect PSP, and I went and bought my own tonight.
Excited to start playing it.  

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:51:09 AM
LowRes (3)
(Lucas G) < Tourian Tourist >
Ontario
I recently started collecting PSP so this guide is exactly what I'm looking for. PSP is very underated. Lot's of great games on this system and I actually love the UMD format.

Great job on the guide, very helpfull

Collecting: Famicom, FDS, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and everything else! 

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:18:09 AM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Fantastic work! The set looks great.

I do have two figures from Hammerin' Hero that were pre-order bonuses.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:33:58 PM
MrNESGuy (33)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: supraderk

These were the only 3 US released shooters that I know of (I'm not counting R-Type Command): Gradius Collection, Playtpus and Taito Legends Power-Up

Wow.  I didn't realize that there were only 3 shooters released for PSP in the US, but I'm not a big shooter fan and hadn't thought about it before.  Crazy.

Originally posted by: Baddieboy Holden 

Since seeing this, I was inspired to collect PSP, and I went and bought my own tonight.

Excellent!  It's hit and miss in the wild as some places still have plenty of old PSP games around, but others have all dried up (as Astor Reinhardt stated above).  A guy dumped his entire 100+ disc collection on Craigslist for a song a few years ago which is what started me on my journey.  Some Target stores in my area still have a handful of clearenced out games, and you can still go on Amazon and buy a good amount of new, popular games for a good price.  But the best deals right now IMO are local games stores who otherwise don't move them and will usually offer up a good price if you buy a bunch.  When shopping in the wild, I try not to spend more than $5 per complete game on average unless it's one I'd personally want to play right now.  If you're patient on eBay, you can usually always find someone selling a certain PSP game with a no reserve 99 cent starting bid.  

Originally posted by: Silent Hill

Fantastic work! The set looks great.

I do have two figures from Hammerin' Hero that were pre-order bonuses.

Thanks!  If you ever want to sell those figures, hit me up first!  I missed out on the last auction I found them on.  I'll be adding them to the list for the next update in a day or two as well.  Thanks again for reminding me about them!

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:41:14 AM
Baddieboy Holden (0)
New Zealand
Originally posted by: MrNESGuy

Originally posted by: Baddieboy Holden 

Excellent!  It's hit and miss in the wild as some places still have plenty of old PSP games around, but others have all dried up (as Astor Reinhardt stated above).  A guy dumped his entire 100+ disc collection on Craigslist for a song a few years ago which is what started me on my journey.  Some Target stores in my area still have a handful of clearenced out games, and you can still go on Amazon and buy a good amount of new, popular games for a good price.  But the best deals right now IMO are local games stores who otherwise don't move them and will usually offer up a good price if you buy a bunch.  When shopping in the wild, I try not to spend more than $5 per complete game on average unless it's one I'd personally want to play right now.  If you're patient on eBay, you can usually always find someone selling a certain PSP game with a no reserve 99 cent starting bid.  

Yeah, games are stupidly cheap right now for PSP. 
The New Zealand alternative to Ebay, Trade Me, has PSP games everywhere on it. 
Practically EVERY game apart from RPG's are $5 or less. 
I'm probably going to go full on with it next year once I wrap up some specific collections, as there are over 500 unique games for $5 or under on the site right now. 

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:22:49 PM
MrNESGuy (33)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Hi all. I updated the checklist and collecting guide to include a few pre-order bonuses and demos that were not known before. Again, if anyone knows of any holes or incorrect items in this list, please let me know as I plan to update it from time to time as new things are discovered.

****Dropbox link to my PSP Collecting Guide PDF and Excel Collecting Checklist****
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ixkwki...

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:30:38 PM
alakhira (134)
(Martin ) < Lolo Lord >
Connecticut
just wanted to say thanks for making and maintaining this incredible resource.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0309-0134-0531
Now Playing: Moonlighter
Recently Completed: Minit, Dragon Quest Builders, Hollow Knight, Ys VIII

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:05:53 PM
Hubz (36)
(Dustin Hubbard) < Eggplant Wizard >
Oklahoma
I started picking up shrink wrapped titles for this a few years back. I think time it will be similar to the Turbo Grafx. Underappreciated for a long time but has a very solid library and people will realize just how rare the games are once ebay and other sources dry up finally.

High Quality Game Scans at -

http://www.gamingalexandria.com...

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:27:23 PM
Theta1565 (5)
< Cherub >
Pennsylvania
Thanks for putting this list together. It's much appreciated!

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:34:31 AM
Tim the Actuary (3)

< Cherub >
New York
Missing release from your listing:
WWE All-Stars [Favorites]
Code: ULUS 10544FV
Spine Label: Small

Keep up the good work!

Tim

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:15:17 PM
MrNESGuy (33)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: Tim the Actuary

Missing release from your listing:
WWE All-Stars [Favorites]
Code: ULUS 10544FV
Spine Label: Small

Keep up the good work!

Tim

Thanks for the update!  Do you have a pic of your copy?  I'm about to update the list next week with another few additions and would love to add this on as well.

*EDIT:  I ask for a pic of, or vouching for, an actual copy only because I've seen digital mock-ups of "favorites" titles that were done but never printed and I only try to add games that have an actual printed insert with the favorites logo on it and not just a sticker.  I've just seen at least two games in the past that were slated to be released and had a copy of the cover floated around on the internet (usually for store listings) but never made it to market.

Edited: 12/20/2016 at 03:18 PM by MrNESGuy

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:52:30 PM
Tim the Actuary (3)

< Cherub >
New York
Sure.  The scan was of my cover, but here's a picture that also shows the spine.