Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The SNES Rankings VI: Something Wicked This Way Comes #500-451

Feb 07 at 9:05:33 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
FYI Little Ninja Brothers on the NES is in the EXACT same style. Overworld that you travel across with RPG elements like buying/finding items, dungeons etc., and brawler style fights.

Kung Fu Heroes is basically the same fighting style game, but lacks the overworld and other RPG elements.

Ninja Boy on the GB plays more like Final Fantasy Adventure overall, but with many returning Ninja Brothers fighting mechanics.

I personally really like Super Ninja Boy; it's admittedly more fun w/ a partner, as you can pick each other up, throw each other, hit each other, etc.. It breaks up the monotony a bit to hit your bro every so often.

-------------------------

Edited: 02/07/2019 at 09:07 PM by Gloves

Feb 08 at 6:56:02 AM
bag (8)
(Bruce ) < Crack Trooper >
California
We had Stanley Cup growing up. Had a lot of fun with it for the most part. My brother found out that you could take a shot at a specific spot, which caused the goalie to come out and it would go over him and in. So he could score 30+goals a game. We had to ban him making those shots haha.

Feb 08 at 6:47:47 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Id rather play bubsy than chrono trigger. sue me

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Feb 09 at 3:47:58 PM
Steve (12)
(Steve RVG) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Brock, great write ups as always. The massive amount of effort you put in here is amazing. I am putting together my own list but it's nowhere going to cover the entire NA library like you have/will. Some thoughts:

-World Heroes is a personal favorite and it was a tremendous port of the arcade. I still play it randomly. It's slow but so was the arcade. I like how combo friendly it is.

-Super Slap Shot is definitely decent and dare I even say kinda pretty good. Call me crazy but it slightly reminds me of Blades of Steel.

-Have you considered creating a website or a blog where you can post these lists at? You got some great material here that is well suited to be on a site or a blog. This is essentially how I started RVGFanatic 12 years ago when after posting a bunch of obscure Super Famicom impressions, some readers were pushing me to start a site. I think you have something going here that deserves its own site/blog. Of course still post it here on NA but eventually maybe consider converting it over on your own personal retro gaming site/blog. Have you considered starting one at all? It does take some work and maintenance and that doesn't appeal to everyone, but in my opinion you have something sweet going on here that easily warrants being on a fansite or blog. Just a thought though!

-Image restrictions aside, you should post these on the SNES reddit too. I don't recall seeing them there although maybe I've missed them somehow.

RVGFANATIC | SNES reviews and remembrances

RELIVE | REPLAY | REMEMBER

Feb 09 at 4:17:59 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Steve

Brock, great write ups as always. The massive amount of effort you put in here is amazing. I am putting together my own list but it's nowhere going to cover the entire NA library like you have/will. Some thoughts:

-World Heroes is a personal favorite and it was a tremendous port of the arcade. I still play it randomly. It's slow but so was the arcade. I like how combo friendly it is.

-Super Slap Shot is definitely decent and dare I even say kinda pretty good. Call me crazy but it slightly reminds me of Blades of Steel.

-Have you considered creating a website or a blog where you can post these lists at? You got some great material here that is well suited to be on a site or a blog. This is essentially how I started RVGFanatic 12 years ago when after posting a bunch of obscure Super Famicom impressions, some readers were pushing me to start a site. I think you have something going here that deserves its own site/blog. Of course still post it here on NA but eventually maybe consider converting it over on your own personal retro gaming site/blog. Have you considered starting one at all? It does take some work and maintenance and that doesn't appeal to everyone, but in my opinion you have something sweet going on here that easily warrants being on a fansite or blog. Just a thought though!

-Image restrictions aside, you should post these on the SNES reddit too. I don't recall seeing them there although maybe I've missed them somehow.

As a sidenote/shameless plug, I am happy to offer my website building experience to anyone looking to build a blog or anything relating to video games.

I will consult to help you build your own for free (to a point), or I can design and build for you for a heavily discounted rate compared to my usual, simply for that I like to help with video game related snuff specifically.

Feb 09 at 8:50:46 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Yes, I will be at some point, if for no other reason than to protect against losing it all if NA had a database die or something

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 02/09/2019 at 08:52 PM by Brock Landers

Feb 09 at 8:56:56 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
And I have posted every installment on Reddit, but they never get any traction.

The only way to get any upvotes over there is to post a pic of an Aladdin cart, or an ending screen for Super Mario world or some shit. People don't want to have to read

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Edited: 02/09/2019 at 08:58 PM by Brock Landers

Feb 09 at 9:07:58 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

The only way to get any upvotes over there is to post a pic of an Aladdin cart, or an ending screen for Super Mario world or some shit. People don't want to have to read

I think most people go on Reddit for either just the quick headlines (this is me) or for the conversation w/ strangers/random professionals. I don't think most on there want to read big articles.

Feb 09 at 10:40:29 PM
Steve (12)
United States

Lol that is so true, man. Well I am glad to hear you will be transferring it over at some point to a site or blog. I always say the world could use more retro gaming based sites or blogs. So many YouTube channels, and I like most of them, but it’s refreshing to see an old school site or blog in this day and age.

Feb 10 at 12:45:46 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Interestingly, when Brock started this project I thought the reviews were too long and didn't want to sit down and read them all. Yet I typically hate the "didn't read lol" environment of reddit. These are worth the read though, there's something really interesting to me about the very idea of ranking all 700+ SNES games, based on nothing but just how good the game is. No frills or qualifiers, just flat-out RANKED. With a full write-up for each game to explain its position. I want 100 other people to do this as well, so that we can get a really solid aggregate ranking, by people who have played and revewed EVERY SINGLE ONE. For every system.

Originally posted by: Steve

Lol that is so true, man. Well I am glad to hear you will be transferring it over at some point to a site or blog. I always say the world could use more retro gaming based sites or blogs. So many YouTube channels, and I like most of them, but it’s refreshing to see an old school site or blog in this day and age.

You've got some great content on your site!

Feb 10 at 1:06:00 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
The hilarious part is they are getting longer, and that was not a conscious decision. One of my goals with volume VII is to keep that in check, partially so it's not another 5+ months.

Feb 10 at 1:39:08 PM
Steve (12)
United States
Originally posted by: Splain

You've got some great content on your site!

Thanks Splain! Hard to believe last month RVGFanatic turned 12 years old.

Brock, the same thing happened to the Video Game Critic. His earlier reviews used to be super short but later ones have been expanded. I too always say I am going to downsize my reviews but I invariably always seem to end up using 100+ pictures. Might be the OCD in me coming out! Might be for you as well in terms of length. Besides, it makes sense to write a little more about games with increasing merit.

Btw, I still have a sealed copy of Magic Boy from 13 years ago waiting to be unwrapped and played.

Feb 13 at 5:37:16 PM
glazball (20)
< Crack Trooper >
Texas
Thank you again for another incredible installment! Like others stated, I'd love to see your write-ups archived on a blog or site somewhere so they don't get lost.

glazball's game collection and wantlist

Feb 16 at 1:24:43 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
This episode seemed so much longer than the other ones. I think you went all out here really getting the nitty gritty details of everything, including many of the games histories which is above and beyond anything I expected. It was so long in fact it took me almost 11 days off and on to be able to read through it all. I've come to look forward to reading your stories like a good book that you can't let down. Thanks for all your hard work.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Feb 20 at 3:09:29 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Thanks all for the positive feedback. Just wanted to iterate again the reasons that I'm doing this thing

1. Because it's the sort of thing I would want to read. I'm a huge sucker for lists of the "top" anything, especially video games, and the more comprehensive they are the better. I have to echo Splain's sentiments that I would absolutely kill to read a complete set of writeups/rankings for the N64, or PS1, or whatever. Maybe someday someone else will tackle one of them.

2. If someone else reads this list and gets a kick of out of it, or discovers some awesome games (when I eventually get to them), then hey, I'll consider that a huge bonus. Plus, other mediums such as film are so well documented in comparison, whereas the video game world seems so fragmented and esoteric. Even though my writing is usually so personal (and silly) in nature, I'd like to think I'm archiving these games in a way.

Apr 23 at 1:17:14 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Volume VII should be a month out, maybe less. A much quicker turnaound than last time where the fishing games (and a couple of vacations) really took it out of me.

I'm also working on being more concise.

Edited: 04/23/2019 at 01:19 AM by Brock Landers

Apr 26 at 10:38:45 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
That series of golf games is wider reaching that most realize. T&E Soft did them in Japan and there were at least 3 more designed to play just the same for the N64 yet we only got the one Waialae course the SNES got years earlier, and also that just named Golf game on Virtual Boy runs the same game play engine style too. I think it was kind of that companies bread and butter thing to make some dough off golf fans through the 90s. It wasn't all they did though as they did branch out even doing a star fox light game Red Alarm on Virtual Boy and the last US release game 3D-Tetris as well which was like Blockout.

Apr 26 at 11:20:47 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois

Volume VII should be a month out, maybe less. A much quicker turnaound than last time where the fishing games (and a couple of vacations) really took it out of me.

I'm also working on being more concise.

I’m loving your reviews, Brock. I appreciate their length, actually, so if you want to be concise, that’s fine, but I’d be happy if you kept them the same length.

As for timing, sure, I’d love if they came out more frequently, but they never disappoint when they do arrive, so they’re definitely worth the wait.

Anyway, just wanted to throw my two cents in. Thanks for doing this!

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 27 at 9:31:13 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I love the lists too. I would love to do an N64 rankings one myself. I've played probably 80% of the library so I could write about most...except crappy sports games. I don't mind if they were a bit shorter and came out quicker but I appreciate the length and time that goes into writing them.

Apr 27 at 2:52:24 PM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire
These write ups are excellent! You are really digging deep to find the good parts of everything!

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...