Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How does the EON Super 64 work without lag

Jul 24 at 2:51:44 PM
olanmills (0)

(olanmills olanmills) < Cherub >
Washington
I was surprised that the EON Super 64 converts video from the Nintendo 64 to HDMI and that it's lagless. At least that's what all the reviews are saying. Technically speaking, how does it work?

Jul 24 at 3:25:45 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
It's a line doubler like the RetroTink. Since it works on one scanline at a time and just doubles it to a 480p rather than waiting for an entire frame like a video scaler it's much faster. The disadvantage is that you only get 480p output, but HDTVs do a much better job upscaling 480p than 240p/480i.

I honestly have no idea why anyone would buy one of those instead of a RetroTink or OSSC or an HDMI mod, it seems crazy priced for a single console. N64 needs an RGB output mod too so even after spending $150 you're only getting S-Video quality on that single console. It seems like an awful value compared to literally every other solution.

-------------------------
Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Edited: 07/24/2019 at 03:27 PM by DefaultGen

Jul 24 at 8:51:04 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

It's a line doubler like the RetroTink. Since it works on one scanline at a time and just doubles it to a 480p rather than waiting for an entire frame like a video scaler it's much faster. The disadvantage is that you only get 480p output, but HDTVs do a much better job upscaling 480p than 240p/480i.

I honestly have no idea why anyone would buy one of those instead of a RetroTink or OSSC or an HDMI mod, it seems crazy priced for a single console. N64 needs an RGB output mod too so even after spending $150 you're only getting S-Video quality on that single console. It seems like an awful value compared to literally every other solution.

Supposedly it also works on SNES with a small mod to the body of the SNES, just FYI  

Jul 24 at 9:27:26 PM
olanmills (0)

(olanmills olanmills) < Cherub >
Washington
cool

Jul 25 at 7:20:53 AM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

Thread perfected.

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Jul 26 at 11:46:36 AM
Final Theory (2)

(Final Theory) < Crack Trooper >
United States
What we need is an FPGA N-64 with HDMI out.

Jul 29 at 4:50:38 AM
oleSchool (0)
(Jonathon Wright) < Little Mac >
Hawaii
Yeah I have a RetroTNK 2x, and like DefaultGen said, why get a single console solution when you can get a solution for all of them.

Here is my setup:

NES------------|-----------------|
SNES---------- | Composite      |------------RetroTnk2x --------TV
GameCube---- | Switch Box     |
N64------------|____________|

The 480p is really nice since all my TV's have no issue handling it, HDMI is standard, it just looks better at 480p (less stretched on a 60" LCD), and to top it off NO LAG.
Retrotnk2x for life haha!

"It's Dangerous to go alone. Take This!"
The Old Man

https://www.youtube.com/channel/U...

Edited: 07/29/2019 at 04:51 AM by oleSchool

Jul 29 at 6:57:33 AM
CaLan87 (5)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
These were on display for the tournaments at Classic Game Fest in Austin Tx and needless to say is.... Theyre super expensive for what youre getting. I wouldn't pay it.

*** Check out my WTB thread!! ***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...