Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Help! Possible Megaman NES Repro! Need to know if this Megaman cart is real or repro

Oct 01 at 2:18:43 AM
FxFletch (0)

< Cherub >
I recently ordered Megaman for nes. When I got the game I noticed the screws in the back looked funny, so I immediately started to doubt the legitimacy of the cart. Later I realized the screws were the same as they used in 5-screw games but this was a 3-screw. Nonetheless I opened the game and the board looked real but I decided to try and find a pic online to compare and what I found looked different. Could someone please help.

Edited: 10/01/2019 at 02:21 AM by FxFletch

Oct 01 at 2:24:04 AM
FxFletch (0)

< Cherub >

Oct 01 at 2:25:59 AM
FxFletch (0)

< Cherub >
Link to pic of the board I found on here. http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 01 at 2:38:00 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Looks okay. Bootgod has this.

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/pr...

Slotted screw three screw cartridges aren't unheard of. There was a short transition from five to three screws, then later slotted screws to security bit screws in 1987, so a handful of titles had that weird three slotted screws. I have a Zanac cartridge with three slotted screws.

Edited: 10/01/2019 at 02:41 AM by Tulpa

Oct 01 at 3:11:31 AM
FxFletch (0)

< Cherub >
Thanks! That's good to know. Still wonder about the board though. Like I said, it looks professional but has different chips than the pic I found on here. The reference board has Sharp made chips and I looked up the serial numbers and the same chip on mine is by Toshiba

Oct 01 at 3:14:07 PM
Oneinchbiceps (4)
(John ) < Tourian Tourist >
West Virginia
Has the correct PCB and code printed on rom chip I'd say it's real. The chip in question was probably just from a different manufacturer. Just for more proof what do the solder points look like on the bottom? If they look factory I'd say it's all good. I opened my cart to see if there any different I had the sharp chip from the pic you compared yours to but the two little chips on top were made by Ti. I pretty much know the back story on my cart so I'm pretty sure mine is real.

Oct 01 at 7:57:39 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Originally posted by: FxFletch

Thanks! That's good to know. Still wonder about the board though. Like I said, it looks professional but has different chips than the pic I found on here. The reference board has Sharp made chips and I looked up the serial numbers and the same chip on mine is by Toshiba

many manufacturers made the chips that nintendo used, particularly the chr ram chip, is it is a standard 6264 SRAM chip. The only proprietary chips on there are the PRG ROM and the lockout chip. It looks legit to me as it has the product number engraved into the PRG ROM itself. They also made various revisions of the UNROM boards. I can say with certainty that it is legit.

-------------------------
Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Edited: 10/01/2019 at 07:58 PM by SNESNESCUBE64

Oct 02 at 1:45:43 AM
FxFletch (0)

< Cherub >
Thanks you all so much! I was very worried I had just bought a repro but you have all helped me feel like it's really legit and that my nes Megaman collection finally really is complete๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Oct 02 at 8:45:02 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Looks okay. Bootgod has this.

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=608

Slotted screw three screw cartridges aren't unheard of. There was a short transition from five to three screws, then later slotted screws to security bit screws in 1987, so a handful of titles had that weird three slotted screws. I have a Zanac cartridge with three slotted screws.

Originally posted by: FxFletch

Tulpa drops the facts. Learned me something. And yeah, always check bootgod. 

I would trust SNESNESCUBE, on the chips.

Out of pure curiosity I checked mine and I have one with the slotted (non security) screws. I had no idea until today, haha. Either way... mine does have the Sharp chips... but as I said, I trust those above. 

-------------------------

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 10/02/2019 at 08:45 PM by AirVillain

Oct 03 at 1:51:33 AM
FxFletch (0)

< Cherub >
AirVillian, I'm glad your cart has the same screws as mine, that helps me legitimize my copy even more so! I had never noticed those kind of screws on a 3-screw cart before and I'm kind of curious to go through my collection now and see if I have others like that