Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

VB - Dragon Hoppe, Mario VB information?

Mar 21 at 11:02:05 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
Normally I would not pop in here as I don't collect such things, but I was wondering, beyond the known pictures you can find at PlanetVB, I was wondering if any copy of this has ever surfaced privately or otherwise and exists of this supposedly finished/nearly finished game or are we to assume it's just lost to time?

I also recall there was some form of a Mario VB playable game in part, a demo perhaps at shows over 20 years ago and wondered if anything more has possibly surfaced with this as well?  I find the strangeness of the proto world of the little system facinating considering Bound High and Faceball popped up along with some other strange oddities and homebrew for some years now.

Mar 24 at 2:45:20 AM
Hoddy Krishnuh (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
Nevada
I've mentioned it before, but the lead programmer of Dragon Hopper is still employed at Nintendo and has worked on nearly every Paper Mario game. He mentioned Dragon Hopper on his resume several times, but didn't say much else. I have a good hunch it is in fact preserved somewhere and was likely finished. Unfortunately, his websites have disappeared and he went under the psuedonym "Kamiki" at one point. He was also, if I recall, the music composer, as he had his work posted when his websites were online, but nothing from DH that I recall.

-------------------------
Govinda jaya jaya, Gopala jaya jaya. Blessed Krishna, save us!

Mar 25 at 9:32:21 PM
speedyink (0)
< Cherub >
British Columbia
Has..anyone tried to contact him? I've gotten in touch with game developers in the past to find out more info on unreleased games. Sometimes the person is really nice and helpful.
If you know his name could you please PM it to me? (Edit: Nvm, got it. I assume language barrier has been the issue)

Edited: 03/25/2019 at 09:35 PM by speedyink

Mar 25 at 10:48:01 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
That's a good start on some information about that title at least. It could be a nice one to have end up preserved much like how after so long Sim City squeaked out. I've just as of lately been re-researching the system again forgetting so much and I just got questions about some interesting demo reels to assumed finished titles. There are a few that likely were done or nearly done and playable that just went up in smoke both here and Japan, yet I was amused to find that Bound High and Faceball made it into the public area as did the Space Pinball release of what was dramatically altered and put out as Galactic Pinball. Wish such a small library it would be great if these done or nearly done and playable demo type things popped up.

Mar 26 at 7:19:50 AM
Hoddy Krishnuh (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
Nevada
I know KRI55E from Planet VB tried contacting him with a Japanese acquaintance and got no response. Shame, because I really want to know more about DH, too. I have a good feeling it was complete, but if it wasn't, I will be very disappointed, as it is the only unreleased game I am desperate to play, but if it never was completed, I probably won't have any other holy grails to look forward to, as my other (but lesser interests) like Sonic 1 proto and Twelve Tales: Conker 64 would be interesting but ultimately incomplete as well!

-------------------------
Govinda jaya jaya, Gopala jaya jaya. Blessed Krishna, save us!

Mar 29 at 9:08:36 PM
VmprHntrD (0)
< El Ripper >
United States
I can understand that feeling. I'm on that site, and there are a few other games that appear to have been made, Japan or otherwise translated that have not surfaced either going through their list of known named titles. I'm hoping stuff bubbles up in time. I've got most of the VB small US library as it is anyway with the wost of it out of the way thankfully as I do have Jack Bros.