Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Nes + Everdrive N8 Famicom Issues Glitch/flicker images.

Oct 18, 2017 at 7:50:08 PM
trakinao (0)

< Cherub >
HI guys,

I am facing a problem with my AVS NES and the Everdrive N8.

In some screens, the image have some flickering points when I play a game. This is happening in 99% of the games and I dont know what is the problem.

I am thinking that could be an incompatibility between both but I found nothing about it searching the internet.

I recorded a video with the problem:

I changed my power supply, changed the HDMI Cable, changed the TV as well. 

I already tried several different roms and several Everdrive's OS and all AVS firmware.

Nothing takes effect.

I also tested the everdrive in other console (famicom AV) and the problem does not happen there. Just in the AVS. But running the same game in cartridge in the AVS, the problem does not happen at all.

Does anyone already faced something like that before?

Many thanks for any help!

Cheers

Oct 18, 2017 at 8:21:49 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Might shoot RetroUSB support an email: [email protected]

They'll definitely want to know about it. AFAIK, no one seems to have that issue yet.

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:30:08 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
I'm getting the same black bars with Mega Man 3 (USA) via Everdrive N8 (NES version).

Edited: 10/18/2017 at 10:30 PM by Brachabre

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:38:48 AM
Dom (0)

< Cherub >
It's been around for a while. I'm surprised you say it happens with all firmware, because rolling back to 1.1 always gets rid of them for me. I think some of the early betas might also not have them.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:09:22 PM
trakinao (0)

< Cherub >
Wow, I found the problem! Many thanks for all help.

The problem was the last Everdrive OS version.

I had install V11, V12 nothing happened.

I tried the nesos-v15 and it worked! I still have the problem with MegaMan3 and others (and castlevania 3 does not work in that version) but the flickering is gone for almost all games.

I would not want to change the last beta AVS firmware because I like the color pallets.

Many thanks for all, with your information I was able to make more precise tests!

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:32:16 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:15:07 AM
leonquest (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Alabama
This issue started in b6. Try using b5 with osv16 on the everdrive and everything should work. I notified retrousb support but they didnt seen very interested in fixing the issue on the avs's side.

-------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gaming since 1987 - Systems owned nowadays:

Xbox360 Consoles: Corona
Xbox Consoles: Xcalibur 1.6

PS3 Consoles: CECH-2511A
PS2 Consoles: V6/SCPH-30001R, V7/SCPH-39001, V9/SCPH-50001
PS1 Consoles: SCPH-7501, SCPH-5501(3), SCPH-9001
Sat Consoles: HST-0001 VA0 
Gen Consoles: Genesis 2 VA3 (3)
Wii Consoles: RVL-CPU-01
N64 Consoles: NUS-CPU-05, NUS-CPU-02
Snes Consoles: SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-CPU-GPM-01 (2), SNS-CPU-GPM-02, SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01
Nes Consoles: AVS NES v2

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:27:29 PM
hudsonbee (2)
< Tourian Tourist >
Maine
Originally posted by: trakinao

Wow, I found the problem! Many thanks for all help.

The problem was the last Everdrive OS version.

I had install V11, V12 nothing happened.

I tried the nesos-v15 and it worked! I still have the problem with MegaMan3 and others (and castlevania 3 does not work in that version) but the flickering is gone for almost all games.

I would not want to change the last beta AVS firmware because I like the color pallets.

Many thanks for all, with your information I was able to make more precise tests!

I was using nesos-v15 when I first noticed this bug.  There are certain games (powerblade 2 and probably others) where it is noticeable.  While I do like the latest AVS firmware, I am also a fan of playing rom hacks with my everdrive.  The everdrive also lets me save games that don't otherwise have a save feature.

My solution has been just to use AVS firmware 1.10 with the latest Everdrive OS v16.  Then I just sort of adjust the color on my television to try to get it the way I like it.  Not a perfect solution, but I suppose it's good enough for now.

I am curious as to the disadvantages of using AVS firmware 1.10 though.  I play a lot of carts and haven't noticed anything yet.  Is there a detailed list of bug fixes between AVS 1.10 and 1.20?  I'd be very interested in looking through it.  The bugfix list seems kind of vauge.

http://retrousb.com/downloads/AVS...

What was wrong with xexyz?  What was wrong with Gradius 2?  I play Gradius 2 somewhat often.  I did notice in one of the AVS firmware betas it seemed to screw up compatibility with Gradius 2 being played through the everdrive, but it didn't seem to screw up compatibility with my Gradius 2 cart.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:40:06 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: hudsonbee
What was wrong with xexyz?

Xexyz would freeze up on certain carts (not all of them, though.) I did find that mine (finally!) worked after swapping the pin connector.  

It still locks up on the title screen if I try to do certain button inputs wrong, but the game is now playable.

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:09:06 PM
Bigdiver (0)
< Cherub >
Looks like I'm have the same flicker issue on my NES version Everdrive N8, with Little Samson.
I have read though the previous posts and conclude an older AVS firmware seemed to solve it.
Any new information, or solutions.

I'm currently using AVS firmware 1.2. Everdrive N8 firmware v16.

For a quick test, load the Temple (stage 10), password- ?2FK

--glitch/flicker only happens on AVS with everdrive --everdrive rom Little Samson works perfect on my frontloader --Little Samson on a multicart works perfect on AVS and NES

Thanks

Edited: 02/13/2018 at 08:37 PM by Bigdiver

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:24:07 AM
Odin Belmont (0)
< Little Mac >
England
Is there a link to all the AVS firmware's?

Thanks

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:37:05 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Edited: 02/15/2018 at 07:37 PM by Tulpa

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:24:17 AM
Odin Belmont (0)
< Little Mac >
England
Originally posted by: Tulpa

http://www.retrousb.com/downloads
Awesome.  Cheers for that.  What's the best one to use with N8 Everdrive?

Edit:  I tried a few firmwares on the AVS and they were all buggy on Everdrive N8 os16.  Why haven't they fixed these bugs?    I haven't seen a good FW update for the AVS since 2016?  This is why more will go Analogue.

Edited: 02/16/2018 at 12:12 PM by Odin Belmont

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:57:02 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Odin Belmont
Why haven't they fixed these bugs?   
Bunnyboy's had health issues and had the second run of AVS shipments. They're working on them now.

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:46:08 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

Edit:  I tried a few firmwares on the AVS and they were all buggy on Everdrive N8 os16.  Why haven't they fixed these bugs?    I haven't seen a good FW update for the AVS since 2016?  This is why more will go Analogue.

You keep talking abou all these bugs, but not anyone else (what bugs are you having anyway?). I know many other people use everdrive with out problems. Maybe your everdrive is the issue????

Edited: 02/17/2018 at 06:50 PM by Mog

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:01:10 PM
BrianC (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Mog

You keep talking abou all these bugs, but not anyone else (what bugs are you having anyway?). I know many other people use everdrive with out problems. Maybe your everdrive is the issue????

Huh? At least two other posters in this topic mentioned having the same issues. I also had artifacts in same games when using OS16 Everdrive N8 on AVS. There is another topic that mentioned that some homebrews didn't work on the latest firmware of the AVS, but worked on some earlier versions of the firmware. 

Feb 19, 2018 at 1:01:05 AM
Mog (140)
Originally posted by: BrianC

Huh? At least two other posters in this topic mentioned having the same issues. I also had artifacts in same games when using OS16 Everdrive N8 on AVS. 

One person fixed the problem by updating the everdrive. The other has a single game with a small problem. 

The person I was reply to has posted a few times about "all kinds of bugs", one or two graphic glitches are not "all kinds".  From what I can recall anyone with issues on everdrive+AVS has been a fault of the everdrive. Either wrong/old firmware or maybe fake Chinese everdrive.

It would also help to know specifically what games and issues hes having so others may be able to chime in.  

Edited: 02/19/2018 at 01:01 AM by Mog

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:00:41 AM
BrianC (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Maryland

Huh? At least two other posters in this topic mentioned having the same issues. I also had artifacts in same games when using OS16 Everdrive N8 on AVS. 

One person fixed the problem by updating the everdrive. The other has a single game with a small problem. 

The person I was reply to has posted a few times about "all kinds of bugs", one or two graphic glitches are not "all kinds".  From what I can recall anyone with issues on everdrive+AVS has been a fault of the everdrive. Either wrong/old firmware or maybe fake Chinese everdrive.

It would also help to know specifically what games and issues hes having so others may be able to chime in.  

My everdrive was from Stone Age gamer, so it's legit. The person fixed the issue by going to an older version of the AVS firmware. I get the artifacts on the later firmware, but not the earlier ones. BTW, if you read other topics there are non everdrive issues like that one Punch Out style homebrew that works on the earlier betas, but not the latest firmware. There are posts elsewhere in this forum that also mention the firmware is buggy. I'm sure part of the issue is on the ED's end, but posts elsewhere suggest that OS 16 solved the problems for NES hardware.

Mention of bugs

Edited: 02/20/2018 at 12:10 AM by BrianC

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:27:58 AM
Mog (140)

My everdrive was from Stone Age gamer, so it's legit. The person fixed the issue by going to an older version of the AVS firmware. I get the artifacts on the later firmware, but not the earlier ones. BTW, if you read other topics there are non everdrive issues like that one Punch Out style homebrew that works on the earlier betas, but not the latest firmware. There are posts elsewhere in this forum that also mention the firmware is buggy. I'm sure part of the issue is on the ED's end, but posts elsewhere suggest that OS 16 solved the problems for NES hardware.

Mention of bugs

I was talking about the everdrive specifically (that is what this thread was made about). The homebrew games are a known issue and should have a fix coming soon.  The linked topic is an isolated issue. If there were actual menu bugs with 1.20 firmware more than one person would be complaining about it. 

I am not trying to argue that games work or not. If you or anyone else is having a problem, then obviously you are having a problem. It would be much more helpful to know specific games and specific details about the problems you are having though.   Saying things like "they were all buggy " "There are too many bugs on the current fw." "I get artifacts" do not help at all.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:37:01 AM
BrianC (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Maryland
oh ok. I understand, but I was under the impression he was talking about other issues. The games that had black or white flickering dashes for me were Super Mario Bros and other games using the same engine like Vs SMB Home Edition (mostly on green objects), the two Flintstones games (while grabbing platforms on EDOS16), JP TMNT Arcade (very minor on OS16, more noticible on earlier ED OSes), and Nightshade. I did notice less artifacts using OS 16. The issue was more minor with OS16, but still there. The flickering lines issue was also mentioned on the krikzz forums. From what I read on the everdrive forums, the issue also affected some later model NES/AV Famicoms, though I didn't have any flickering lines on any Everdrive OS on my AV Famicom. As other posters mentioned, the issue seems to have started with firmware 1.20b6. 

Edited: 02/20/2018 at 01:02 AM by BrianC

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:40:38 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

I was talking about the everdrive specifically (that is what this thread was made about). The homebrew games are a known issue and should have a fix coming soon.  The linked topic is an isolated issue. If there were actual menu bugs with 1.20 firmware more than one person would be complaining about it. 

Mog, as you're obviously one of the "men on the ground" with the AVS, I figure you might be the one to ask about this without tying up the bunnyboy's resources.  If he/they can't track down all the bugs and get the FPGA 100% on all games, all the time, is it possible to have a version of firmware which can implement different fixes based on a menu selection vs re-flashing?  The 1.20 version has issues with certain games, but earlier betas (like 1.20b6, for example) work fine with those but have issues with different games.  If there's room in the FPGA, it would be fantastic to simply be able to select which "version" loads from an in-system menu and then let that roll until going to play one of the games which had issues on that particular fix.

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:09:41 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: darkchylde28
Mog, as you're obviously one of the "men on the ground" with the AVS, I figure you might be the one to ask about this without tying up the bunnyboy's resources.  If he/they can't track down all the bugs and get the FPGA 100% on all games, all the time, is it possible to have a version of firmware which can implement different fixes based on a menu selection vs re-flashing?  The 1.20 version has issues with certain games, but earlier betas (like 1.20b6, for example) work fine with those but have issues with different games.  If there's room in the FPGA, it would be fantastic to simply be able to select which "version" loads from an in-system menu and then let that roll until going to play one of the games which had issues on that particular fix.
That's an interesting idea, but I suspect the firmware version is so deeply ingrained in the operating system that even if you managed to get it to do that, it would wipe everything back to factory settings at the very least.

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:08:46 PM
Bigdiver (0)
< Cherub >
I keep seeing that the problem is with the everdrive and not the AVS. Help me understand details of what is ment. My particular graphical issue only happens with my AVS. (See my post above for specifics) Same rom, same everdrive works great in my front loaded. No graphical/ image issue.

I will give firmware 1.20b6 a try. Maybe 1.20b6 can also help with my menu screen cropping issue.

Thanks in advance

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:14:14 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Bigdiver

I keep seeing that the problem is with the everdrive and not the AVS. Help me understand details of what is ment. My particular graphical issue only happens with my AVS. (See my post above for specifics) Same rom, same everdrive works great in my front loaded. No graphical/ image issue.
The Everdrive's firmware could be having an issue with the AVS's FPGA that the AVS firmware adjustments have no way of correcting. Which is why the suggestion is change/update the Everdrive firmware first.

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:32:06 PM
Bigdiver (0)
< Cherub >

Originally posted by: Bigdiver

The Everdrive's firmware could be having an issue with the AVS's FPGA that the AVS firmware adjustments have no way of correcting. Which is why the suggestion is change/update the Everdrive firmware first.

Thank you, for a logical, civil response.   I am not particularly tech savvy, so this helps me understand.

Edited: 02/21/2018 at 02:34 PM by Bigdiver