Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2012 Weekly Contest Presents: Marble Madness Contest ends Sunday, 8/19/12 at 10 PM NA time

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:41:11 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
Getting closer Mog! Soon you'll have me beat. Me, I tried most of the night, couldn't even pass 172 thousand. Got lucky 1 time with 3 wands, but totally messed up, guess I got overly excited with this rare chance, and totally blew it. Hardest most annoying part of the game for me, the very first stage (hundreds of resets before even really getting started), so many times I've made that first jump only to have my marble disappear just because I jumped too high, or completely shatter (really pisses me off, seems so random), or that I was traveling so fast that I didn't allow the screen to catch up enough so I couldn't see my marble and fell over an edge (I really hate the slow scrolling, forces you to move at a pace slower than you wish to travel).

-------------------------

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:19:20 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Miss Clawful
Got lucky 1 time with 3 wands,

3 wands? Really? I can't remember getting 3 wands in one run. Are you sure?

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:59:49 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Yep, got 'em in stages 2, 3, and 5 (stage 5 is my lucky spot, have gotten more wands here than anywhere else). Hard enough getting two of them to appear. Would liked to have kept the video, but that would've meant watching a couple hours of mostly reset games just to find where that particular game was located on there. Pretty sure I got 3 wands when I had my high score 3 years ago too, because with 2 and a nice no death run I fall short of that score. Now, if I can't get a wand to appear on the 2nd stage I reset, gotta get that timer up high early to better my score later, but it has to appear right away so I don't waste time waiting for it to decide never to appear; also if I don't die either. I'm finding now that I'm not up to the task because frustration is getting to me and I'm playing it less than when I had started several days ago. Sometimes I try to fight the black marble in the 2nd stage, but its rather difficult to defeat, either I get lucky and shatter it within a few seconds, or it knocks me over the ledge, in which I reset, or move on and forget that extra 1000.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:05:27 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
I tried to find an effective way to beat that black marble in 2nd stage and simply decided to ignore it. This said, there's definitely a 2 seconds that can be invested in beating it cause you have to wait a little for the bridge to get down afterward. Maybe I'll try some more just to see if I can get that extra 1000 occasionally.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:07:47 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Megan's back? Nice! I hope I can get a score in sometime tomorrow as I'm gone all weekend, I've been slacking on the contests lately. This was one of the first NES games I picked up and I remember being really impressed with it.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:42:34 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Woo I just beat the game. I died 20 times but had fun here are my scores. Don't count the 65,420 as I used a save state on that one. But the rest if the scores are legit.

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:50:12 AM
2Legit28Bit (170)
(Anthony Lazzari) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania

Well, wasn't sure whether I wanted to or not, but hell, I've been away from this contest far too long and saw Marble Madness up, couldn't resist. Just shortly after seeing this game posted for this week I started almost immediately after in trying to rack up some decent scores, shortly after that I get two invites, wanted to ignore them since I still wasn't sure if I wanted to take competing seriously or not. Well, done played for 3 days straight now, pretty much doing nothing with my spare time except playing this game, so yeah, I guess I can say I am competing. Give you guys something to shoot for.

At first I was beating the game regardless of how I did, but then after I got my current high score below all I've been doing is resetting every time I lost a life or totally didn't get a good run in a level, and so far, cannot even get close to what I have in pics below. And have yet to get lucky, no more than 2 wands in a run, just not good enough to achieve an ultimate score. Hell, my very best run through this game where I played so perfectly that I'm not sure I could do any better I didn't get a single wand, really upsetting because I could've beaten my score from 3 years ago. The whole thing with the wands, just pisses me off, I'm finding that unlike the contest a few years ago when I was first learning this game, I'm already really good at it and wands are a rarity now, when I need them most to boost my score.

Anyway, top score so far 175,330 (personal top score to beat 177560, I'm going to need some massive luck and a really good play to surpass that one, moreso to beat the top 2 scores that 3 years ago)

And video for those interested (really crappy quality and tv show playing in the background, but anyway, best I can do for now):

Glad to see you competing again! Welcome back!

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:57:15 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Congrats I beat the game then decided to try againand have not stopped. But now I am going to bed. Hey don't you find the silly board frustrating. I get past those mini black marbles and stuff and have the hardest time getting anyfurther w/o loosing lots of time

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:43:21 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:48:19 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Are these wands just random luck?

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:02:42 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: dev(2)

Are these wands just random luck?

Yea every time I get one though I try to think what I did when it appeared

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:32:19 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Megamanfan

Woo I just beat the game. I died 20 times but had fun here are my scores.

Nice Andy!! Sorry I missed it man. Now your next goal is to break 100k!!

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:13:56 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Mog

Woo I just beat the game. I died 20 times but had fun here are my scores.

Nice Andy!! Sorry I missed it man. Now your next goal is to break 100k!!

How do I achive that?

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:02:08 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

I just got 3 wands, and I even caught it on video! Unfortunately the 3rd wand came on the silly race as I was smashing the mini things, and already had ~97 seconds !! Could have been the record right there if the damn thing waited until I was further in the level!!

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:52:27 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I tried emailing one of the original programmers of the NES version once upon a time asking about the wands but he didn't reply. The mystery remains! I haven't had a chance to play any more since Wednesday's 7 games, but I hope to find some time tonight or Sunday.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:33:46 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Mog

I just got 3 wands, and I even caught it on video! Unfortunately the 3rd wand came on the silly race as I was smashing the mini things, and already had ~97 seconds !! Could have been the record right there if the damn thing waited until I was further in the level!!

There you have it! Now, imagine getting 4 wands in one game, if not wasted (I hate when I get them during times that I don't need extra time, the extra seconds don't even get used towards score, total bummer), plus a good quick no death run, score would reach 180,000 I'm sure. I find my average best score range between 168,000 to 172,000, with or without 1 or 2 wands. I've tried everything I could to figure out a way to make the wands appear more often, seems the more time you spend in a level you have more chance of getting one, but drawback, not worth crap if you take too long. My problem I've been suffering lately unlike those few years ago, I'm too good now, blast through the levels so fast that I usually don't get a single wand to help my score. I've tried to find a balance, mixing up my speed at times between full throttle and slowing down for small instances, sometimes I get lucky, but again, that's just it, all luck. I even tried exploring this on emulator, saving at the start of the 2nd level and performing as close to the same movements and moving at similar speeds and to same locations at pretty much the same time on the timer, even score being the same, nope, that's not it, again, simply random luck, kinda like an RPG enemy encounter, the game has the ball in its court and decides when to toss out bonuses to you.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:49:39 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
I seem to never be able to reach the goal on the ultimate lvl. I did it once and now I can't do it again.

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:27:12 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
New high score for me 79,570 . Got to the last lvl with 50+ secounds left

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:36:18 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

There you go.
Practice makes perfect.
Now do it again and again.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:07:38 PM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: dev(2)

There you go.
Practice makes perfect.
Now do it again and again.

Plan on it

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:45:36 PM
etrainstyles (38)
(Erik Thomas) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Here's the best I got today, some of your scores are amazing!!

I tried to attach it, but I'm new to using picture here...

Score was 121,380

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:59:06 PM
etrainstyles (38)
United States
IMO this is one of the greatest games of all-time. Any chance they ever to a repro or home brew of it? I just with there were more levels!

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:25:12 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Yeah, me too. You'd think all this time passed the game would have had a make-over with tons more levels, there's just so much potential, so many more challenges that could be added to it. But then, sometimes short 'n sweet is best. 5 minute or less game, I'm game for that, played and beaten it more than any other game, only others that I've come close to that many times is Super Mario Bros. and Castlevania. If Bubble Bobble were shorter I'd probably had played and beaten it more than twice ever or so.

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:18:08 AM
etrainstyles (38)
United States
I agree, definitely the game I can pick up anytime and beat in 5 min, can you imagine if there were some sequels to this? I also love Bubble Bobble, but it's much more fun w/ a 2nd player. Have you played BB2?

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:30:19 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Ok I been playing since 7pm heres my newest scores. It is a great improvment considering I have only played this 3 or 4 days in my life.