Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How's everybody like the AVS?

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:48:09 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: SwiftFrost

I turned off most/all of the post processing my TV does to the signal and I don't notice any lag. I not hit MTPO a couple days ago without issue. I did notice lag even when I had my TV on game mode, originally.
How am I supposed to know what settings are best for my tv? I'm not tech savvy at all   

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:49:32 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Originally posted by: bunnyboy

There is no lag out of the console, but there is lag added by your TV.  How much that is depends on the specific tv and it's settings.
How do I know what tv is best? Is there a tv that does not add lag?

Is there a chart somewhere?

There are tons of websites that chart HDTV/HDMI lag. Each have their own methodology, so you might be best served to view more than one.

Lag is pretty much a fact of life with modern TVs, it's just finding one where it's below your threshold of notice.

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:51:31 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

I turned off most/all of the post processing my TV does to the signal and I don't notice any lag. I not hit MTPO a couple days ago without issue. I did notice lag even when I had my TV on game mode, originally.
How am I supposed to know what settings are best for my tv? I'm not tech savvy at all   

What TV do you have?

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:55:45 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: bunnyboy

There is no lag out of the console, but there is lag added by your TV.  How much that is depends on the specific tv and it's settings.
How do I know what tv is best? Is there a tv that does not add lag?

Is there a chart somewhere?
There are tons of websites that chart HDTV/HDMI lag. Each have their own methodology, so you might be best served to view more than one.

Lag is pretty much a fact of life with modern TVs, it's just finding one where it's below your threshold of notice.

Huh. Well, that's not cool. Lol. 

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:56:47 AM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
I like the AVS. Brian did a great job on it, but I can't help but feel a little miffed that I shelled out $200 to be a beta tester. :? I don't blame Brian for this. I know he had testers. They had their units for over a year, and you would think that was plenty of time for all of them to play through the entire library.

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:57:41 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

What TV do you have?

I've been playing the avs on an old ass Vizio. 

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:59:09 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Huh. Well, that's not cool. Lol. 

Nature of the technology. Those HD resolutions and fixed pixels come with a price.  

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:01:46 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

What TV do you have?

I've been playing the avs on an old ass Vizio. 

Not too familiar with Vizios.

I'd start in the menu, start looking for things that might be adding processing. Samsung calls it "auto-motion," but Vizio could call it something else. If it has a game mode, try that. Anything "direct," try that. Anything "dynamic," try it with it off. Stuff like that. Take notes so you can get it back to where it was if you go down the rabbit hole a bit too deep.  

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:46:29 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: CMR

They had their units for over a year, and you would think that was plenty of time for all of them to play through the entire library.
(almost) Every game was played!  But the difference in manufacturing of carts is what is showing up.  Like I have a Xexyz cart that works on every firmware on every system.  Mog sent one that fails on some systems, but b7 fixes it.  Others have a cart that fails with b7.  Stuff like that will only show up with a very large number of people playing.

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:49:23 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I want one of those works every time Xexyz.  

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:24:42 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

I like the AVS. Brian did a great job on it, but I can't help but feel a little miffed that I shelled out $200 to be a beta tester. :? I don't blame Brian for this. I know he had testers. They had their units for over a year, and you would think that was plenty of time for all of them to play through the entire library.

Not to mention not all the beta testers had a complete NES library with all licensed/unlicensed/pirate/reproduction/homebrew game ever made. With all variants.

A lot of us tested on Powerpaks, where a lot of this compatibility stuff never shows up.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:06:55 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

I might have to do some more messing with my TV then.  I know I need to have one of my HDMI inputs on Game Mode specifically for PS4 pinball, or else it's unplayable.

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:20:48 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
I love my AVS..

I haven't noticed any lag, even when playing bladebuster which requires precise timing.

In fact, I posted my personal best on the first rom version while using the AVS.

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:05:50 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

that's the nature with every new product. I trust Brian and whoever helped did test everything they could but you never know what issues will come up until they come up. And we're all human, mistakes can happen. It does look like he is working his ass off to get the issues fixed asap which is great. Rather than seeing it as you paid to be a tester, look at it as you paid because you have faith in a product, and want to see it succeed.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:16:03 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
I know Brian is working hard to fix things, and I would buy an AVS again. I even purchased mine knowing that USB ports were breaking off and the cart connector wasn't perfect. I just didn't expect there to be this many games with problems. Thankfully all these issues can be fixed with firmware updates.

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:39:40 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Thankfully all these issues can be fixed with firmware updates.
Well, and new pin connectors. Firmware ain't going to solve the green strip.  

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:24:16 PM
firebrand (45)
(Alex ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
What would be the best way to record game footage? I have a hdmi computer tower and a hdmi laptop and I want to get into recording nes games. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:15:19 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: smokelegend

What would be the best way to record game footage? I have a hdmi computer tower and a hdmi laptop and I want to get into recording nes games. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Best wayvis with an Elgato. Best I've found by far. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:15:06 PM
firebrand (45)
(Alex ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
Still haven't gotten an email conformation. I cannot contain my excitement!!!!!  

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:17:56 PM
Premisesx7 (2)

< Tourian Tourist >
Has anyone tried any repros or homebrew games on the AVS yet? I plan to pick one up and hoping that games like BattleKid, Ghostbusters 2, etc.. work on it. Thanks!

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:18:39 PM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts

I ordered mine on the 11th. Does anyone know the timeline for arrival?

Completed - 676/677 US NES NTSC

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:07:34 PM
firebrand (45)
(Alex ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Crazy4NES

I ordered mine on the 11th. Does anyone know the timeline for arrival?

I ordered mine on the 8th. Still says "in production". I haven't gotten an email about tracking yet either. I'm sure retrousb is very busy with the holidays.

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:14:03 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
In production is just a catchall for pending shipment.

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:01:54 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Premisesx7

Has anyone tried any repros or homebrew games on the AVS yet? I plan to pick one up and hoping that games like BattleKid, Ghostbusters 2, etc.. work on it. Thanks!

Homebrews are no problem and work fine. Repros are no problem and work fine in most cases, depending on the quality of work.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:36:57 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

I've seen nothing but great reviews of it. So how's everybody like it so far?

The AVS is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

| gameplay and talk |