Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sealed Collecting Questions Wata/VGA Advice, Authentic vs. Reseal Help, etc.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:25:28 PM
renodakota (4)
(xxxxx xxxxxx) < Meka Chicken >
United States
does anyone have any good links or a guide for grading sealed gameboy games? i've seen the vga 'em show off thread and as cool as that was i feel like pictures of cased games are hard to spot problems on. i just picked up a sealed copy of paperboy for gameboy and am unsure if i should even worry about grading it.

pictures are here, http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/... and i have and can take better ones. i guess my question is how poorly would this grade? I don't know how well you can see it in those pictures but there is what looks like a little bit of some sticker residue on the back, and there are some light scratches on the front the worst going through his hand to his eyeball.

there's are two graded copies on ebay now with a best offer.
a 75 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gameboy-S...
and a 90 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gameboy-S...

i guess my question is where on the scale do you think i would hit with my copy and does getting a sealed common game graded really increase the value enough to cover the cost of grading?

thanks in advance for your help or for just looking.
*edited because i can't spell*

-------------------------
 I don't even like nintendo games. Play pinball.

Edited: 02/11/2012 at 07:26 PM by renodakota

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:51:43 AM
faramith (105)
(Jerry Robles) < Eggplant Wizard >
Puerto Rico
Hi guys

I want to grade this game "Radiant Historia" bought it new at gamestop on release date, so Im pretty confident its in great condition but the thing is the round sticker seal was placed a bit off and it has a small corner bent out on the front. Will they consider this "tampered"? and if not will this greatly affect the grading? thanks

(i have the game inside a plastic bag, took the best pics possible)

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:20:34 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Cabanon

Originally posted by: buyatari2

I'd like to see someone to scan in a sample form with just videogame submissions of the most common submissions.

How would you code a typical NES game, longbox PS1 game, what about N64 starfox?
i would add Skyward Sword LE bundle as well. i will submit mine one day, so i'll need help on this.

I know Skyward Sword is a Custom-1 size, and I assume Starfox would be as well.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:24:17 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: faramith

Hi guys

I want to grade this game "Radiant Historia" bought it new at gamestop on release date, so Im pretty confident its in great condition but the thing is the round sticker seal was placed a bit off and it has a small corner bent out on the front. Will they consider this "tampered"? and if not will this greatly affect the grading? thanks

Hi There,

I'm not an expert on DS titles but personally I don't see an issue with tampering there.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:28:55 PM
theguy1962 (193)
(Hernan Alonso or "Zo") < Kraid Killer >
California
Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: Cabanon

Originally posted by: buyatari2

I'd like to see someone to scan in a sample form with just videogame submissions of the most common submissions.

How would you code a typical NES game, longbox PS1 game, what about N64 starfox?
i would add Skyward Sword LE bundle as well. i will submit mine one day, so i'll need help on this.

I know Skyward Sword is a Custom-1 size, and I assume Starfox would be as well.

Here's my copy of my submission for Skyward Sword.  It has to be pretty big before it's Custom-2.  My 3DS Zelda Edition was just barely too big for a Custom-1.  You just gotta pull the ruler out and take some measurements.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:20:02 PM
rarebucky (178)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: faramith

Hi guys

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:20:37 PM
rarebucky (178)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
That Radiant Historia doesn't look tampered at all, just slightly flawed (would result in a lower score)

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:06:45 AM
retro_relapse (29)
(LEE JR.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Hey guys, Just wanted to know if anyone has any info on the NAMCO Versions of PAC MAN & MS. PAC MAN
My questions are.... Has anyone ever seen a VGA graded copy of either one? Also, Are there any versions with the H-SEAM?
I know that some NAMCO versions are known not to have the H-SEAM. I am getting a copy of each factory sealed but neither one has the H-SEAM. Will sending these in to VGA get rejected with a no grade score? I would like to see you VGA COLLECTORS thoughts. This would be greatly appriciated. Thank you guys.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:45:27 AM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Well, there are definitely H-Seam Namco versions, as shown in this thread:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

However, I believe that there are legit non H-Seam versions too. Look for ventholes, and make sure the back flap shows no signs of being opened. If it looks good, I'm sure you'll be fine and it will get a legit VGA grade. GL!

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:04:06 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: retro.gamer76

Hey guys, Just wanted to know if anyone has any info on the NAMCO Versions of PAC MAN & MS. PAC MAN
My questions are.... Has anyone ever seen a VGA graded copy of either one? Also, Are there any versions with the H-SEAM?
I know that some NAMCO versions are known not to have the H-SEAM. I am getting a copy of each factory sealed but neither one has the H-SEAM. Will sending these in to VGA get rejected with a no grade score? I would like to see you VGA COLLECTORS thoughts. This would be greatly appriciated. Thank you guys.

Roy,

I agree with jone, look for the ventholes and check the seam on the back flap.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:55:24 PM
nes junkie (16)
(micheal claar) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
could a game be graded say 85 sealed but say a 90 qualified?

i buy SEALED 3d battles of worldrunner amy condition 

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:13:30 PM
mlbfan10 (100)
(Jason Trogdon) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
No

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:17:34 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Actually I'm not so certain of that. If you had a sealed game with a pristine box (no corner flaws, no dents, no creases) and just minor tears in the wrap, I assume it would grade higher qualified than sealed. Which is exactly why I will never own a qualified game, but to each their own.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:32:27 PM
nes junkie (16)
North Carolina

Actually I'm not so certain of that. If you had a sealed game with a pristine box (no corner flaws, no dents, no creases) and just minor tears in the wrap, I assume it would grade higher qualified than sealed. Which is exactly why I will never own a qualified game, but to each their own.

yeah that was my thought. i have  sealed sega cd game that has a tear on the front and some shelf wear on the seal, but the case itself looks amazing. i been debating sending it in or not but the tear on the front scraes me a little.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:40:56 PM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico
I've been wondering this scenario myself, so you submit a very nice copy of a game but with a flawed seal, when you get it back you're not happy with the grade, can you open the case, remove the seal and resubmit for a qualified grade?

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:17:52 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
I'd tend to agree with jone. While we don't know for sure I can say that the two EarthBounds I had (Q85 and Q85+) certainly had flaws that would of kept it from those grades under the Standard scale. EarthBound very well might have it's own "scale" though since it never had wrap.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:30:03 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Yeah qualified is an interesting animal. I think the market will get the valuations right at some point, but it should be clear that a 90 Qualified is NOT a 90 sealed. Of course the prices are different regardless, but the point is that a high grade qualified would be easier than high grade sealed.

Also, if Uncirculated is designated as U90, you'd think a qualified would be Q90. I honestly sometimes completely miss the "Qualified" designation in the VGA thread and don't notice it until someone else comments.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:32:42 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

Yeah qualified is an interesting animal. I think the market will get the valuations right at some point, but it should be clear that a 90 Qualified is NOT a 90 sealed. Of course the prices are different regardless, but the point is that a high grade qualified would be easier than high grade sealed.

Also, if Uncirculated is designated as U90, you'd think a qualified would be Q90. I honestly sometimes completely miss the "Qualified" designation in the VGA thread and don't notice it until someone else comments.
Yeah agreed the small print "qualified" needs to be changed.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:38:24 PM
nes junkie (16)
North Carolina
so my thinkin is partially correct . if i had game with a bad seal if i do qualified it would grade better as they would grade case not seal.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:31:37 PM
mlbfan10 (100)
(Jason Trogdon) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
With thinking about the way jone put it then that could def achieve your example. I was thinking about 85 condition average game meaning typically corner wear and pokes, etc.

Edited: 02/16/2012 at 09:32 PM by mlbfan10

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:05:26 PM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
I'm planning to pop my VGA cherry with some Zelda games. Pretty much the only series I care to have sealed.

Here's an album full of my Skyward Sword pics. What do you think it will grade as?
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums...

The only flaws I can see are on the top right side of the box where it's a little squished (when looking at the back) and near the white Wii logo. The second you can see best at the shot from the top.

Think it will be worth it?

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:54:25 AM
acomicbookguyc (350)
(Cristian Romero ) < Bowser >
California
Okay guys I need some help from you experts on a couple of game I'm interested in sending to VGA. I'll list the titles and a link to an album full a pics. I'm hoping gold for each game which is why I'm asking before I send them in. 

Skyward Sword Bundle

Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition

Solatorobo

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Ocarina Edition (Australian Exclusive)

Radiant Historia

Help me complete my N64 set!
225/296 Carts - 228/296 Manuals - 236/296 Boxes
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

Edited: 02/18/2012 at 03:59 AM by acomicbookguyc

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:56:58 AM
acomicbookguyc (350)
California
Originally posted by: Mindl3ss

I'm planning to pop my VGA cherry with some Zelda games. Pretty much the only series I care to have sealed.

Here's an album full of my Skyward Sword pics. What do you think it will grade as?
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/Mindlessmaggots/Zelda/

The only flaws I can see are on the top right side of the box where it's a little squished (when looking at the back) and near the white Wii logo. The second you can see best at the shot from the top.

Think it will be worth it?
That ding in the 5th picture will really ruin it. I don't think it will grade higher than 85 with just that ding. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:41:16 AM
acomicbookguyc (350)
California
Originally posted by: acomicbookguyc

Okay guys I need some help from you experts on a couple of game I'm interested in sending to VGA. I'll list the titles and a link to an album full a pics. I'm hoping gold for each game which is why I'm asking before I send them in. 

Skyward Sword Bundle

Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition

Solatorobo

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Ocarina Edition (Australian Exclusive)

Radiant Historia

Can someone help here????????

I was hoping to fill out all the forms by the weekend.

Edited: 02/18/2012 at 02:41 AM by acomicbookguyc

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:30:14 AM
retrogamesuk (70)

(Adam K) < Meka Chicken >
United Kingdom
So I got a trade box of Game & Watch Balloon fights, each one is carded (factory sealed) Will VGA accept a Game & Watch? Any advice on sending in?, I only want to send 1 in, thanks.

Ship up or shape out - Darrell sheets