Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2017 Weekly Contests Presents: Contra Contest ends Sunday, 7/30/17 at 11 PM NA time

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:30:14 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Benihana's score from 2012 will be really tough to top this year.

That was so long ago I didn't even realize that I played that week. Hopefully if I get some time I should be able to do better than my old score.

I am hoping to get a 20K score this week. Other than the 1st stage, I never really tried hard for a pacifist run.
We shall see. I will have my everdrive tonight to get me some hot Contra action going. Hopefully I am not completely rusty at it.

-------------------------
A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:32:51 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Benihana's score from 2012 will be really tough to top this year.

That was so long ago I didn't even realize that I played that week. Hopefully if I get some time I should be able to do better than my old score.

I am hoping to get a 20K score this week. Other than the 1st stage, I never really tried hard for a pacifist run.
We shall see. I will have my everdrive tonight to get me some hot Contra action going. Hopefully I am not completely rusty at it.

After looking through that old contest thread, it looks like I just played one quick game. I don't think I went out of my way to play for a low score, but I should be able to finish it without losing a life and at least get into the 20,000 range.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 07/25/2017 at 10:33 AM by bearcat-doug

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:27:22 AM
Tom Guycot (0)
(Jordan V) < Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
I'm annoyed. I beat the game with 19 lives left and took 2 pictures, but with the score blinking, I guess the score didn't show up on EITHER pic I took. So after a little bit of recovery time, I'll try again. Good luck to all!

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:34:09 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Tom Guycot

I'm annoyed. I beat the game with 19 lives left and took 2 pictures, but with the score blinking, I guess the score didn't show up on EITHER pic I took. So after a little bit of recovery time, I'll try again. Good luck to all!

I've started recording a short video with the score and then capturing a clear picture off the footage.  I think Richard(?) mentioned doing that and I'll agree that is good advice!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:42:29 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia

I do a rapid fire set of photos and then select the best one.  They still look like shit though

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:55:07 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: arnpoly

I've started recording a short video with the score and then capturing a clear picture off the footage.  I think Richard(?) mentioned doing that and I'll agree that is good advice!

Recording a video is the best way to do it this week.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:00:39 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Yeah had I known I'd have recorded a short video. Aw well, next time!

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:12:01 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I do a rapid fire set of photos and then select the best one.  They still look like shit though

That's what I did to capture my max out score a few years back. I was lucky that at least one of them came out clear enough. I like Contra, but I really didn't want to play it 3+ hours in a single sitting again.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:13:03 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Taking a video of the score was supposed to be in the picture tips, I'll add it. That's indeed the best way to secure a picture of the score (rapid fire option is good too).

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:15:45 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Taking a video of the score was supposed to be in the picture tips, I'll add it. That's indeed the best way to secure a picture of the score (rapid fire option is good too).

Will my progress score count? I wasn't able to get a photo with the score up, just the level. I'm hoping to give it another go, but I may not have time. 

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:29:01 PM
tablew/chairs (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Michigan

Originally posted by: Richardhead

Richard is leading!
I need my Everdrive to get here asap so I can fix that wrongdoing!  

I almost guarantee I will finish below top 8 this week, even if I can beat it with 10 or less lives!

I need a top 3 finish this week, and to finish ahead to Tables.  
Luckily, I am just bad at Contra rather than terrible, so it might be possible.

bea i think you'll edge me out this week and it'll all come down to felix for the action title 

im sure there's lots of people on here who can no death the game i'm interested to see what players end up posting a score

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:31:04 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Bea gonna have two tight races for the platformer award in a row. Granted she didn't play the first title last year lol

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Edited: 07/25/2017 at 12:31 PM by Brock Landers

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:31:11 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California

^ This ^. Most of my attempts to capture a good photo were ruined because of something missing on the screen. Recording the end is the way to go.

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:32:30 PM
Tom Guycot (0)
(Jordan V) < Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
Thanks for the advice all. I was planning on asking about the video option. Just annoyed that I didn't get it the first time around, especially since the score only displays for a very short period of time in between stages/beating the game.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:38:02 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
I have never no-deathed this game before, but there's no reason why I shouldn't make this the week I do it!

Take On The NES Library!

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:38:55 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  This week's game is going to be Contra.  Here are the rules:
  • Input the Konami code to get 30 lives (Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start)

Hahahahahaha! Using the code. I thought this was NA.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:39:26 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: tablew/chairs

Originally posted by: Richardhead

Richard is leading!
I need my Everdrive to get here asap so I can fix that wrongdoing!  

I almost guarantee I will finish below top 8 this week, even if I can beat it with 10 or less lives!

I need a top 3 finish this week, and to finish ahead to Tables.  
Luckily, I am just bad at Contra rather than terrible, so it might be possible.

bea i think you'll edge me out this week and it'll all come down to felix for the action title 

im sure there's lots of people on here who can no death the game i'm interested to see what players end up posting a score

I hope I am not completely rusty. I used to be able to no-death this game since it is so easy.
But I haven't played it in 3 or 4 years. We will find out if I am still half-decent at it tonight.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:46:17 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Bea gonna have two tight races for the platformer award in a row. Granted she didn't play the first title last year lol

I don't think I would make top 8 at Super Mario Bros, so I don't think it would change the end result anyway.  

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:50:07 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

I have never no-deathed this game before, but there's no reason why I shouldn't make this the week I do it!
I think I can pull it off if the stars align and I keep my shit together for an entire run.  No reason any vet can't do it.

The difficulty of this game has been greatly overstated

I like this set of rules though.  Maybe I can bring back Contra III with something similar.  And I dare anyone to no-death that one on hard

Edited: 07/25/2017 at 12:51 PM by Brock Landers

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:53:29 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
I am not entirely sure no deathing the game will be the most effective strategy this week, though.
There might be points were taking a death might allow you to bypass high point value enemies. It will be a matter of factoring the division and the extra lives you will get during gameplay.
I am just not sure I am in the mood to go full analytic on it like I did with Klax last week.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:59:07 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

I am not entirely sure no deathing the game will be the most effective strategy this week, though.
There might be points were taking a death might allow you to bypass high point value enemies. It will be a matter of factoring the division and the extra lives you will get during gameplay.
I am just not sure I am in the mood to go full analytic on it like I did with Klax last week.

If I recall, you get a massive score for beating the final boss compared to what you accumulate over the course of the game.

So while it's good to keep score low during the game (and certainly this will be the de facto tiebreaker among those who no-death the game), in general it's better to keep the denominator high by not dying.

Take On The NES Library!

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:00:20 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Score updated on page 1.
I'm getting better at this whole math thing 😜

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:03:24 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

I don't know what the scoring is, but with an otherwise perfect run, wouldn't a death still cost you somewhere between 1,500-2,000 points?  Seems unlikely any enemies are worth that much.  Not that I have any idea what does and doesn't give you points for shooting it.

Actually looks like a death could cost as little as 500

Edited: 07/25/2017 at 01:07 PM by Brock Landers

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:09:22 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

I don't know what the scoring is, but with an otherwise perfect run, wouldn't a death still cost you somewhere between 1,500-2,000 points?  Seems unlikely any enemies are worth that much.  Not that I have any idea what does and doesn't give you points for shooting it.

If I figure something out, I will post here in the open so everyone can benefit from it.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:13:30 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

If I figure something out, I will post here in the open so everyone can benefit from it.

I wish you would stop with that  

I like cloak and daggers and betrayal; not cooperation and friendliness!