Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Lunar Pool Contest ends Sunday, 8/21/16 at 11 PM NA time

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:46:59 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil

100,000+ points at the start of stage 9.
1 million and over is doable. I will try to achieve that and record a video of the feat during the course of the week.

Edit:
1 million is "doable"... with at least 43 perfect games and keeping your ratio at 99 for at least 30 games. I will need more training, a lot of math to calculate the angles and the velocity needed for each shot to achieve that consistently and video proof because one can't just claim a score like that with a single still shot.
Excel will be a very handy tool for this week. The fun for the week just began.

-------------------------
A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Edited: 08/15/2016 at 08:09 PM by Bea_Iank

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:34:37 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
2,190  3,770  4,930

Edited: 08/21/2016 at 01:54 AM by barrels

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:34:54 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Cool game. My copy has the latter french+english back (could that be original...?). My local store has a 5-screw version. How many print runs did this game have...?

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:56:11 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Mapped most shots up to stage 44 and as expected, it gets you up to 1,000,0000 points.
Tomorrow I will revalidate the shots I mapped, map the ones I didn't get enough data on and map the last 16 stages of the game.
Wednesday or Thursday I will record the video and post the score in a valid picture, along with the video.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:32:30 PM
smick (27)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Mapped most shots up to stage 44 and as expected, it gets you up to 1,000,0000 points.
Tomorrow I will revalidate the shots I mapped, map the ones I didn't get enough data on and map the last 16 stages of the game.
Wednesday or Thursday I will record the video and post the score in a valid picture, along with the video.

The math geek part of me can't wait to see this!

Playing through the Zelda games:

Complete: The Legend of Zelda (8/1/13); Zelda II (1/6/14); Zelda LTTP (5/18/14); Link's Awakening (4/8/15); Ocarina of Time (2/7/16)
Up Next: Majora's Mask

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:55:37 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
UPDATED 8/16/16:

I'm definitely going to have to get a copy of this game.  I'm having fun with this when I have the time.

Edited: 08/16/2016 at 02:51 PM by EgasKrad

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:22:20 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I did a trial run a bit ago and scored 970. Looking like a participation week!  

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:02:09 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: arnpoly

I did a trial run a bit ago and scored 970. Looking like a participation week!  

Lunar Pool is definitely not my kind of game. Looking forward to a return to mindlessness with Pinball.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:11:28 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
The next sports game on deck is Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat. According to Gamefaqs this game is easy, and the 14th easiest racer on the NES. Additional humiliation for anyone who fails at it. It also looks to be the most fun sports title since Rad Racer, not that that's saying much.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/58735...

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:48:05 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
I guess I am the only one excited about this week's contest game.  

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:58:14 PM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas

I'd be excited, too. It's one of my favorite childhood games, but I haven't had the time to put in runs for the weekly contests recently. 

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:00:32 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I prefer it to the last two sports games we played: Black Box Baseball and Golf.

Not that that's saying much.

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:05:33 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York

I'll bet Richardhead would be so proud I've managed to eek by his pal SuperJimtendo by the smallest of margins with this score.
Hope you're doing ok out there Space Cowboy... wherever you are.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Edited: 08/19/2016 at 02:05 AM by Commander Santa

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:31:55 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

I like this game. It's relaxing after a long day.
Bea's score is insane, though when she gets her claws into a game she can usually master it.
Great score Bea.

This game is like a mosquito bite. I can't stop scratching.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:46:36 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

I like this game. It's relaxing after a long day.
Bea's score is insane, though when she gets her claws into a game she can usually master it.
Great score Bea.

There is nothing much to master in this game, actually.
Once you find out the proper angles for the shots, either by trial and error or by basic high school vector math, you can repeat your runs ad infinitum.
The only problem is that it takes a long, long while to beat the 60 stages of the game.
I will update my score tonight with 60 perfect games once I record the video, but it will be well over one hour long.  

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:53:21 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
There is some randomness with the break on the first stage. When breaking, if you hit the button when the power meter is full, there is like a 10% chance that you will sink one ball. Then it's possible to play a perfect game on the first stage. You can keep resetting until this happens. I did a perfect first stage once, but I haven't been able to do it since. I screwed it up anyway because because it all went to crap after that.

Edited: 08/17/2016 at 11:54 AM by mbd39

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:22:42 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I like the game too, but I won't be sinking that much time into it unless I put Ikari Warriors to rest first.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:58:28 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: mbd39

There is some randomness with the break on the first stage. When breaking, if you hit the button when the power meter is full, there is like a 10% chance that you will sink one ball. Then it's possible to play a perfect game on the first stage. You can keep resetting until this happens. I did a perfect first stage once, but I haven't been able to do it since. I screwed it up anyway because because it all went to crap after that.

No, there is not.
There is at least one angle where you are guaranteed to sink a ball, usually ball #4, iirc.
I will post a screenshot tonight of the position for that.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:02:38 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

No, there is not.
There is at least one angle where you are guaranteed to sink a ball, usually ball #4, iirc.

I'm using Nestopia emulator and I'm not always getting the same outcome when I do a straight break with a full power meter on the first stage after resetting. The usual outcome is the one with the six ball going near the pocket, but there are some others that occasionally happen.

EDIT: Yeah, I just booted up Lunar Pool. The first time I breaked, the usual happened with the six ball landing  in front of the top center pocket. Then I did a hard reset, tried again, and this time the break resulted in the six ball being sunk into the bottom right pocket. All I did was hit the button after the power meter was full and touched nothing else.

Edited: 08/17/2016 at 01:07 PM by mbd39

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:06:32 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

No, there is not.

I'm using Nestopia emulator and I'm not always getting the same outcome when I do a straight break with a full power meter on the first stage after resetting. The usual outcome is the one with the six ball going near the pocket, but there are some others that occasionally happen.

There is your problem. Full straight break. It would depend on the length you pick for the cursor.
If you break it at between 15 to 20 degrees with the cursor a bit past ball #3, one ball will always drop.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:09:52 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

No, there is not.

There is your problem. Full straight break. It would depend on the length you pick for the cursor.
If you break it at between 15 to 20 degrees with the cursor a bit past ball #3, one ball will always drop.

I'm not doing anything different each time besides just hitting the button when the power meter is full. I'm touching nothing else on the gamepad. I think there is some randomness in the break.

Edited: 08/17/2016 at 01:10 PM by mbd39

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:24:07 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Try for yourself. Don't touch anything besides the A or B button and break when the power meter is full. Keep resetting and doing it, and you'll get different outcomes. Unless there is something wrong with my ROM or the computer or the emulator.

Edited: 08/17/2016 at 01:27 PM by mbd39

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:52:08 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
I will check that, but I can guarantee that with the angle and distance I am using to break, I always drop the same ball, whether I am running VirtuaNes or Fceux.
And I have done that a few dozen times so far.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:01:24 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I will check that, but I can guarantee that with the angle and distance I am using to break, I always drop the same ball, whether I am running VirtuaNes or Fceux.
And I have done that a few dozen times so far.

The small amount of randomness might only occur with a straight down the middle break and not when breaking from an angle. I also don't change the distance.

Edited: 08/17/2016 at 02:06 PM by mbd39

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:48:36 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado