Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES Strategies "Can NA Beat" child thread

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:20:21 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Y

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 02/11/2016 at 12:04 PM by Brock Landers

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:20:46 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Z

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Edited: 02/11/2016 at 12:03 PM by Brock Landers

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:23:41 PM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
Wut? This is a great way to get your post count up! Haha

WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

FO/FT Thread - Xbox, PS1, Gamecube, and more!

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:29:04 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: theirontoupee

Wut? This is a great way to get your post count up! Haha
Haha I was thinking the same thing.  I was also thinking how ironic it would've been if Jone would've timed it right to get his "combo breaker" post right after Brock posted the K

Haves     |     Wants

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:23:34 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Art of Fighting: almost every character can be defeated trivially by approaching with a reverse kick (R) and then throwing them (also R). When they're down, taunt them to ensure they don't use their special moves. The only exception is Jacky, who can still be taken out easily with fireballs.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:25:55 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Tuff E Nuff: My advice from the 2014 thread --

Originally posted by: bronzeshield

The only tough fight was against Jade, but it turns out that the character I've been using (Vortz) is probably the best choice against him. [...]

I found a winning strategy: knock Jade down, then as he gets up do a standing weak kick with B (which he'll block), followed by a stomping throw with B. He can't counter this pattern, and will fall in no time -- though knocking him down in the first place isn't altogether easy!

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:36:00 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Thanks bronze. Think you could retrieve all your tennis tips for me?

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:12:28 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
If you want you could link in my videos I did last year for some of the SNES shumps?

Some tips:
Phalanx - Stage 7 boss spawns little critters which can be milked for infinite points/max lives (I think it caps at 32 lives).
Firepower 2000 - Stage 1 boss spawns guys that can be milked for infinite points/lives
Axelay - Final boss form where he duplicates your ship and sends them at you, the ships can be milked for infinite points/lives using the cluster bomb.
R-Type III - mid boss before the final boss spawns bugs which can be milked for tons of lives. Note: Do not try to max the score at 10,000,000. If you reach this score and die, the game immediately ends.
In order to kill the final form of the last boss, you must fire your force pod into his face to finish him off.
Super R-Type - You can speed kill the stage 1,2,3 bosses with a single fully charged shot at point blank range.
Space Megaforce - The power shot (weapon #6) can be used as a bullet shield while charging.
Contra III - pretty sure you can just stand in place at the beginning of stage 1 and kill guys for infinite lives...need to double check that one though. I know for a fact you can milk infinite lives from the final boss first form (the one before the brain).

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:15:38 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Gradius III: If you are using F-Options or R-Options you can spread them out by collecting powerups so that "option" is selected and then holding A. F-Option+Reduce is probably the best weapon edit combination.

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:23:13 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
That's interesting about Contra III. I'll have to see tonight how that affects the contest

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:46:23 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Wow, some bug with the formatting is adding extra lines, and it unfixes itself with each edit. How annoying

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:25:14 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Thanks bronze. Think you could retrieve all your tennis tips for me?
Sure! Here you go:

Andre Agassi Tennis Professional difficulty is easier than Amateur, since Amateur selects your shots for you automatically and having tactical control is preferable. Playing as a woman makes for a shorter game (4 three-set matches vs. 4 five-set matches), but I'm not sure whether the best woman (Cassie Nova) is as reliable/dominating as Agassi.

Take up residence on the service line or just before it, and attack everything (but avoid coming all the way to the net). The CPU always serves wide to the same spot, so when returning, stand in the doubles alley and tap B + diagonally into the court, and sometimes you'll hit a clean winner right up the line. (I couldn't do this as reliably in 2016; not sure whether it's my timing, or a result of playing as a female character.)

When serving, aim up the middle, not out wide (the CPU likes to hit screaming cross-court returns on wide serves). If you get into a long rally, just hit a lob and the CPU will frequently whiff on it. The CPU also doesn't seem to understand the concept of returning to center after hitting the ball, so that helps. Gameplay is very fast so it takes a while to get the timing down.

Super Tennis - play as Phil, who can hit aces very consistently: aim out wide (including repositioning yourself to one side), and hit A+R at the same time. When you get it right the CPU will always whiff.

You have to "rein in" your shots constantly since the game loves to send your balls long; pressing X + away from the net is the most reliable bread-and-butter stroke, a topspin shot that usually stays in. Never hit a lob from near the service line, it always goes long. Adding spin with R is always helpful for control.

Play from the back of the court -- serve-and-volley doesn't work well in this game. Brian is the only dangerous opponent before Don J. Hitting short lobs and returning the CPU's overhead to the open court is a high-risk but fairly effective tactic against those two.

David Crane's Amazing Tennis - don't bother with power serves, they're impossible to control. Use a wide, soft serve instead, but serving from one position (I think it's the near court on the deuce side) will always send your ball out if you aim wide.

Serve-and-volley works well in this game, but getting the timing down takes a lot of practice. Don't bother with the dropshot. A sharply angled lob that lands near the service line will often draw a whiff from the CPU, but it's not a foolproof tactic. This isn't a mindless pattern game -- the CPU is scrappy and will whoop your butt until you develop finesse on your serve and strokes. Trying to blow your opponent off the court will yield a 6-0 6-0 loss. Playing from the far court is tough, but if you can get the timing for the wide serve down (wait for the ball to drop farther than you might expect), you may have luck by just staying put and hitting back the return to the open court.

Jimmy Connors Tennis - the key to victory is:

- serve with L and R waaaaaay out wide and you'll get tons of aces;
- rush the net and hit hard volleys (B) as close to the net as possible;
- when returning, block the serve back with B, and then rush the net;
- occasionally use drop shots (Y) or lobs (X) to change things up or try to elicit an error from the CPU.

The toughest adversary by far is Edson, who's very fast and a beast at the net. Barnaby can be tricky, Akira's shots bounce super-high for some reason, and Mueller is solid all around, but only Edson is dangerous in the long term.

Edited: 02/09/2016 at 08:38 PM by bronzeshield

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:36:11 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Sküljagger - the manual/comic book is an important part of the game, as it contains secret codes that access hidden areas with power-ups, etc. The final boss fight is almost impossible without using the code from the manual.

Lord of the Rings - in-game references to a map are talking about the maps contained in the manual, without which this game is nearly impossible.

Chester Cheetah: Wild Wild Quest - The final boss fight is a real headache unless you follow this pattern:

- At the start of the race, skip to the next step. Otherwise, as Mean Eugene enters from the left after taking a hit, make sure the back end of your car overlaps the front of his, by about 30-40%. This guarantees that he won't launch a missile attack, and keeps him from getting in front of you.

- Drive to the right in tandem with him, heading all the way to the right edge of the screen. If he paces you without stopping or jumping, simply jump straight up onto his car when you've reached the right edge (with him slightly behind).

- If he stops along the way, he'll follow a pattern of jumping twice. Head to the right edge of the screen, and just as he jumps for the second time, jump straight up a split-second later. You'll land on his car and he'll take a hit.

Mean Eugene can take 16 hits on Hard (fewer on lower difficulties), and you only have 3 lives (plus a bag of Cheetos if you have it from the previous level), so following this pattern is a must -- the fight is an unworkable, cheap mess otherwise.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:30:17 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Bump. This sucker needs some updates badly

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:43:43 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Toys - Be sure to grab the 1UPs and health refills on top of buildings in the last level (the plane ride). They're easy to overlook!

Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge - Though a well-known trick, the 1UP loop in Gambit's first stage (jump above the 4th green globe w/o collecting it) is a game-changer that substitutes for the continues/password this game should've had. It's present in the Genesis version too, so it doesn't seem to be a glitch and is fair game.

Air Cavalry
  • Each of the three campaigns (Middle East/Central America/Indonesia) is self-contained, with 12 missions and an ending. They seem to correspond to Easy/Medium/Hard, but it's not said explicitly. Since the ending is the same, for our purposes it shouldn't matter which campaign you beat.
  • Despite the manual saying otherwise, there's no reward for beating all three campaigns in one sitting.
  • Missions within each campaign are almost random in difficulty -- you'll get a stupidly easy one right after a ridiculously hard one.
  • Several missions can be solved by simply turning 180° from your starting orientation and going forward, and you'll reach the mission goal right away.
  • After you fire a rocket or missile, locking on to a different enemy will change its target. This even happens with unguided rockets, which is just as stupid as it sounds.
  • Enemy AA fire can't be dodged. You have to either get lucky, take it out with a missile from a distance, or fly past quickly and take your lumps.
  • Enemy missiles are hard to dodge but using the trigger to turn faster helps. Missiles approach at the same apparent speed regardless of how far away their launch site was.
  • Unlike other games, flying low doesn't have much benefit.
  • Pickup/rescue missions are usually the hardest, and you never have enough rockets for all the enemies you'll face. Try to conserve those as much as possible.
  • Most enemies won't attack when you've landed, but helicopters will.
  • A few landing zones are really finicky, and will mysteriously kill you if you try to land at the wrong angle. Mission 11 in Indonesia has a really bad one.
  • A few missions claim you need to paint a building with your laser targeter to allow allied forces to blow it up, but blowing the building up yourself seems to work just as well.

I don't have a mission breakdown for Middle East, but here are Central America and Indonesia:

Central America
1 - Destroy 10 tanks
2 - Destroy 5 fuel tanks
3 - Destroy 14 vehicles (NB: you only have 12 rockets, so blow up 2 MiGs with your machine gun to finish up)
4 - Pick up 3 pilots (you'll need to land twice; both sites are close to one another)
5 - Destroy 5 ships (watch out for friendly/allied forces on land)
6 - Destroy 15 tricks
7 - Pick up 1 pilot
8 - Destroy 20 tanks (difficult mission; watch out for a group of friendly/allied forces)
9 - Destroy 2 ships (super-easy)
10 - Drop off 3 groups of 5 soldiers (animation plays out as a pickup; hardest mission in the campaign -- one dropoff is heavily guarded, but if you clear it the other two are mostly undefended)
11 - Destroy 25 vehicles (tricky because of the presence of allied forces; probably worth battling helicopters and frigates to rack up wins, and using long-range guided missiles when possible)
12 - Destroy 6 SAM sites (easy)

Indonesia
1 - Destroy 8 vehicles (easy)
2 - Destroy 15 vehicles (still easy)
3 - Pick up 18 soldiers in 3 spots (may be the most difficult mission in the game -- strong enemy resistance and low ammo, plus one landing zone isn't on the map; get to LZ #1 by rotating to 45° and flying into the R side of that island, eliminating the nearby enemy turrets; then turn to 320° for LZ #2, and take out the resistance on that island; then turn to 60° and make your way to the little island with LZ #3; occasionally, enemies will randomly stop shooting for no apparent reason)
4 - Destroy 20 vehicles (watch out for friendlies)
5 - Destroy 5 SAM sites (tricky, but if you turn around 180 degrees at the start, it's easier to find sites)
6 - Destroy 1 bunker (silly - just turn around 180° and it's right there - you don't even need to use your laser targeter, you can just use a rocket)
7 - Pick up 6 soldiers in 3 spots (difficult, but not as hard as #3; turn to 280° and fly forward to reach LZ #1, overcoming some enemy resistance; then turn 160° to reach the second LZ, followed by 100° to reach the defenseless LZ #3)
8 - Destroy 1 bunker (almost as easy as #6; turn around 180° and follow the shoreline to the bunker; friendlies are present but aren't in the way; bunker takes 2 hits?)
9 - Destroy 30 vehicles (difficult, but combat is straightforward)
10 - Destroy 2 ships (easy as long as you can find the ships - turn around 180° as always and it seems to help)
11 - Pick up 8 soldiers in 4 spots (not as hard as #3; go 10° -- don't blow up the two fuel tanks -- to find LZ #1 near a bunker, eliminating nearby sources of fire, then follow the runway and terrain to LZ #2, which is also by a bunker; then backtrack to the two fuel tanks and hang a right, following the line made by the tanks, to reach LZ #3, where landing is very flaky and you'll sometimes die for no reason; then turn to 60° and fly forward for LZ #4)
12 - Destroy 4 ships (should be easy, but finding the ships can be difficult, and I almost lost the game on this mission!)

Edited: 08/25/2016 at 05:00 PM by bronzeshield

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:18:03 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Cool, that makes tips for 57 games. Only 600+ to go  

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:26:41 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Quoting ink625's post from here:
Originally posted by: ink625
  I'm glad you asked if I had any tips for Jimmy Houston's Bass Tournament USA, because the only tip I have for 3 Ninjas Kick Back is to avoid it at ALL costs. Talk about an annoying game!

Anyway, on to Jimmy Houston. The game is pretty straightforward and all you have to do to beat it is finish in the top 3 in 3 qualifying tournaments, and 1st in the Championship tournament. Below I'll list the name of the Lake each tournament is held on, how many days it lasts, the lure I had the most success with, and the technique I used with that lure. I'll also list how many pounds of fish you'll need to finish in 1st place in each tournament. The game doesn't tell you these amounts, I've just learned them from experience. These amounts will never change. As soon as you reach the required amount, you can immediately weigh in and win the tournament.

First though, I'll list a few general tips about the game.

General tips:

1.) You will catch significantly more fish around the outer edges of the lake than in the middle. This is because fish like to hang out near underwater or floating structures such as trees, rocks, lilly pads, logs, etc., which are more frequently found near the shoreline.

2.) Once your lure is less than 20 ft. from the boat you can just reel it back in. I've played this game off and on since I was 12 years old and I've never caught a single fish at a distance less than 20 ft. from the boat.

3.) If you cast out a few times and dont' get any bites, don't give up on that area yet. Use the shoulder buttons to move your boat to the left or right because that huge Bass you need may be lurking just to the side of where you initially cast.

4.) As I mentioned in tip #1, fish love to hang out near trees, rocks or anything similar in the water. So cast as close as you possibly can to anything like that in the area where you've decided to fish. The closer the better, just don't get too close or you'll snag your line.

5.) Always set your hook by pushing up on the directional pad. The other directions will work too, just not as well.

6.) The lures and techniques I suggest below are just that, suggestions. If something I said isn't working, don't be afraid to experiment. Sometimes a fish won't bite a purple frog lure, but will immediately bite a white frog lure on the very next cast.

Now for the Tournament info:

Qualifying Tournament #1

Lake Fork, TX 1 Day Tournament You'll need 15 lbs of fish or more to finish in 1st place.

Lure I had the most success with: Name: Standard Worm/SLT-Shot Range: Shallow Type: Soft Weight: Light Color: Blue or Purple Technique: Cast your lure, let it sink a little, then reel it in a couple feet and stop. Wait about about 2 seconds and reel it a few more feet and stop. Rinse and repeat until it's time to cast again.

Qualifying Tournament #2

Lake Winnipesaukee, NH 1 Day Tournament You'll need 12 lbs of fish or more to finish in 1st place.

Lure I had the most success with: Name: Tube Worm/Jig Head Range: Middle Type: Soft Weight: Light Color: White Technique: Cast your lure and let it sink to the bottom. Let it sit on the bottom for 2-3 seconds, then reel it in a few feet and let it sink to the bottom again. Rinse and repeat until it's time to cast again.

Qualifying Tournament #3

Lake Seminole, GA 2 Day Tournament You'll need 40 lbs of fish or more over the 2 days to finish in 1st place.

Day 1

Lure I had the most success with: Name: Frog Range: Top Type: Soft Weight: Light Color: Blue Technique: Use in areas where you might find a real frog, such as near floating logs or on lilly pads. Cast your lure and as soon as it hits the water start reeling it back in, only stopping for a split second every 3 to 4 feet. This will keep the lure on top of the water, mimmicking a real frog, which will cause the bass to attack.

Day 2

Lure I had the most success with: Name: Standard Worm/SLT-Shot Range: Shallow Type: Soft Weight: Light Color: Blue Technique: Cast your lure, let it sink a little, then reel it in a couple feet and stop. Wait about about 2 seconds and reel it a few more feet and stop. Rinse and repeat until it's time to cast again.

Championship Tournament

Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie, SC 3 Day Tournament You'll need 67 lbs of fish or more over the 3 days to finish in 1st place.

Unlike the 2 day tournament just before this one I pretty much used the same lure for all 3 days.

Lure I had the most success with: Name: Standard Worm/SLT-Shot Range: Shallow Type: Soft Weight: Light Color: Blue or Purple Technique: Cast your lure, let it sink a little, then reel it in a couple feet and stop. Wait about about 2 seconds and reel it a few more feet and stop. Rinse and repeat until it's time to cast again.

Sorry to have rambled on so long, but I just couldn't seem to stop once I'd started.

Edited: 12/12/2016 at 01:28 PM by bronzeshield

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:28:32 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Thanks, I'll add your Nobunaga stuff too.

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:32:55 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Added your Air Cavalry updates too

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:15:51 PM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
  • DREAM TV

General tips

• To pass each level you need to collect all nine puzzle peices then defeat the end boss
  • Press the L or R buttons to switch between kids
  • Pressing the select button will go fullscreen for whichever kid you are controlling
  • If you have a potion available, position both kids on top of eachother and press "X" to put the second kid in your pocket. (A timer quickly counts down while this is active)
  • For the first three boss fights the best way to defeat the boss is with having one of the kids in your pocket

Stage 1

KEY #1 Yellow with blue gem​

•  Located in the room with the dungeons past the two moving pillars
  •  Opens the wall one level up and left of the ladder
KEY #2 Silver with a blue gem

• Located, at 10 o' clock, in the room with all the keys and the rotating platform
  • Opens the door in the middle of the same screen
KEY #3 Blue key with no gem

• Located in the room with the teeter totter, northeast of the wall that opens up after hitting the switch
  • Opens the door one level below the teeter totter
KEY #4 Yellow key with no gem

• Located inside the room that KEY #3 opened up
  • Opens the door on the lowest level of the tetter totter room
BOSS FIGHT

• Use a potion to put one of the kids in your pocket
  • I found the axe to be the most usefull weapon
  • Jump to avoid the axes while throwing as many axes as possible.

Stage 2

KEY #1 Yellow key with no gem

• Located in the top left part of the screen, one floor below where the stage starts
  • Opens the wall on the bottom right of the same floor to allow access to key #2
KEY #2 Yellow key no gem

• Located behind the wall that KEY #1 opened up
  • Opens a floor tile just to the left of where the key is picked up
BOSS FIGHT

• Like the first boss, use the axe and have one of the kids in your pocket
  • Duck to avoid the throwing daggers and jump to avoid the sword stabs
​STAGE 3

BOSS FIGHT

• Get close to the boss to destroy the bridge then jump back to the other side. The dinosaur will walk towards you and fall into the pit
STAGE 4

• There are hidden puzzle pieces behind pillars that are completely covered
  • If you touch your ship against the back of the end bosses ship it is an instant game over

Check out my game collection here:
https://collection.gamevaluenow.c...

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:48:31 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Thank you, I will update later tonight or tomorrow if I go into the office

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:04:48 PM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
For king of dragons the wizard starts as the worst class with the least hp and no shield but ends up the best class. Around mid game his wand is upgraded to a flamethrower that can hit enemies multiple times per shot.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:32:24 PM
Night Driver (0)
< Little Mac >
Alabama
Super RBI

• Set the defense to automatic.

• Use the bunting exploit to easily score as many runs as you think you'll need to win. Once you get good at pitching, 5-10 runs should be more than enough. Theres a FAQ out there for the game that describes the exploit in more detail.

• Play as the Montreal Expos. On the lineup screen, swap the slower "Fletcher" for the faster "Frazier". Montreal is the only non-historic team in the game that can field a lineup in which every player has a speed of at least 4, which makes the bunting exploit that much more effective.

• To strike out a batter, throw a medium-speed breaking ball tight inside for strike one, then throw one just out of reach on the outside corner for strike two, and, finally, throw one either further outside or back tight inside for strike three.

• If you're trying to bat the old-fashioned way, remember to press and **HOLD** the swing button to ensure that you're making a full-power swing. It also helps to listen for the audio cue when the pitcher releases the ball. A high-pitched "woosh" means he's throwing a fastball, a medium pitch "woosh" means a normal pitch, and a low-pitched "woosh" means a changeup. 

• Double-check your passwords when writing them down because 2 looks like Z, 5 looks like S, etc.

Edited: 01/22/2017 at 10:16 PM by Night Driver

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:38:10 PM
Night Driver (0)
< Little Mac >
Alabama
Whoops. Double post.

Edited: 01/16/2017 at 01:38 PM by Night Driver

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:10:03 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Id love to see one of these for the NES

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...