Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Winter Tournament Presents Round 1: Dr. Mario Contest ends Sunday, 1/4/2015 at 11 PM NA time

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:29:13 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the 2014 NintendoAge Weekly Contest Winter Tournament Round 1.  This round of the tournament will serve up a healthy dose of competition with Dr. Mario.  Here are the rules (Participants, please read the rules carefully for your tier to make sure you play by the correct rules.  Failure to play by the correct rules can result in your score being invalid):

Tier 1

• 1 player only
  • Play on Virus Level 0, Speed Hi
  • Play until Game Over
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Puzzle

Tier 2

• 1 player only
  • Play on Virus Level 0, Speed Medium
  • Play until Game Over
  • Highest score wins

Tier 3

• 1 player only
  • Play on Virus Level 0, Speed Low
  • Play until Game Over
  • Highest score wins

The contest ends Sunday, 1/4/15 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 01/05/2015 at 12:52 AM by bimmy_lee

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:57:59 PM
Katchii (23)
< Meka Chicken >
Florida
Hi

Im curious, why are PAL systems excluded? It just so happens I was organising my collection today and found a dr mario nes which I didnt remember having... Would like to have entered this, but guess I cant?

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:50:02 PM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I am in the wrong tier for this game, slow speed makes me want to chuck my controller. Should get a nice score though.

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:55:35 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
If I was in this at Tier 3, I could play basically forever. I could play up to level 24 and just stay on 24 for hours before I finally died. Good luck to the challengers!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:08:44 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Katchii

Hi

Im curious, why are PAL systems excluded? It just so happens I was organising my collection today and found a dr mario nes which I didnt remember having... Would like to have entered this, but guess I cant?

Diffrent timings in pal games is common, and many times they just flat out made game changes.  More than a few games play 16% slower on pal systems just because they didn't bother converting the crap to a true 50 fps.  Even if they did they may have issues. If you don't have an NTSC version, you could try an emulator.

---

More technical ramble you can skip over.  Say a sprite moves at 1 FPS on the NTSC, running at 60 FPS.  He could cross the screen in 4 seconds.  If you just took the system as-is onto pal, with the 50 FPS, it would take 4.8 seconds to get to the other side.  You could update the movement at 60 fps if the hardware allows it, and only show 50 fps, but that's very clunky.  You could adjust the players movement, but if you made it 2 frames per second,  he would cross the screen in 2.4 seconds in pal. 

Since you can't really move the sprite half pixels, you half to move the sprite 1.2 pixels a frame, and use rounding.  So the sprite moves 1 frame, then every 5th frame it moves 2, giving a choppy feel.

In otherwords, pal gamers got boned 90% of the time.

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:00:10 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Woo Hoo! Good luck everyone, I'll definitely post a score tonight! P.S. The Chills music is the way to go, I love that song.

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:23:41 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
I'm more of a Fever guy, if this was the Gameboy version that is. The added sections to the song were a nice touch. Speaking of the GB version, it has chaining point bonuses unlike the NES version.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:24:28 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

Woo Hoo! Good luck everyone, I'll definitely post a score tonight! P.S. The Chills music is the way to go, I love that song.

Figured you'd have already posted that 200 point score already.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:58:47 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

Edited: 12/31/2014 at 09:31 PM by BriGuy82

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:03:14 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Nice opening score!

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:29:31 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Nice opening score!

Thanks brotha! I have no clue where its gonna end up, thats for sure... Played this game a ton growing up, alot of the time it was in 2 player mode against my friends though...

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:33:14 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Nice opening score!

Thanks brotha! I have no clue where its gonna end up, thats for sure... Played this game a ton growing up, alot of the time it was in 2 player mode against my friends though...

This is one of those games that I'm not real high on but definitely don't hate it.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:57:22 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Thanks for a starter.benchmark. this is the first time I have ever really spent time on this one so I am still figuring out the switch from massive combos to survival, and have no concept of what a decent score looks like.

Dec 29, 2014 at 2:48:41 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Tier 2- 170,800. I'll start off tier 2. I am no way decent at puzzlers and this one required alot of my concentration. I hope this score can at least get me to the next round.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:12:31 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Thanks for a starter.benchmark. this is the first time I have ever really spent time on this one so I am still figuring out the switch from massive combos to survival, and have no concept of what a decent score looks like.

Thankfully no one from that contest is competing this year,but I know when this was played last year,the top 10 scores were all above 200k,with the winning score being around 964k.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:13:01 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Thankfully no one from that contest is competing this year,but I know when this was played last year,the top 10 scores were all above 200k,with the winning score being around 964k.
At high speed?  Wow!

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:57:59 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Broke 200k... As far as Tier 1 scoring goes, I think a score of over 350k would be considered excellent. At my pace, that would need to be around level 17 or higher... I messed around a little bit on level 17 and it gets really tough.

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:07:17 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Caleb47

Tier 2- 170,800. I'll start off tier 2. I am no way decent at puzzlers and this one required alot of my concentration. I hope this score can at least get me to the next round.

Definitely agree. I can usually get through any game we play with my kids climbing all over me, but for this game I have to banish them from the playroom once I get to about level 15... Sorry kids but Dr. Mario is a very important game, now go bug mommy.

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:25:28 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Broke 200k... As far as Tier 1 scoring goes, I think a score of over 350k would be considered excellent. At my pace, that would need to be around level 17 or higher... I messed around a little bit on level 17 and it gets really tough.

Do you mind sharing your typical combo size at level 6+?

i have figured out how to get a perfect score on the first couple of levels, but obviously that isn't sustainable, and I have to drop back to mostly pairs and triples, with the occasional quadruple if I am lucky.

Also, I notice the speed gradually increases... is this like Yoshi where the game re acquires max speed faster each time?  Or does it work on a fixed interval that is always the same?

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:11:41 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

Do you mind sharing your typical combo size at level 6+?

i have figured out how to get a perfect score on the first couple of levels, but obviously that isn't sustainable, and I have to drop back to mostly pairs and triples, with the occasional quadruple if I am lucky.

Also, I notice the speed gradually increases... is this like Yoshi where the game re acquires max speed faster each time?  Or does it work on a fixed interval that is always the same?

When possible, I try to go for the doubles or triples but honestly progression is first and foremost to me (we'll see if that strategy comes back to bite me in the ass!)... As far as the speed goes, it does feel like the game starts out faster as the levels get higher but that might just be my imagination. According to the instruction manual on page 10, it states that the speed increases slightly after every 10 capsules.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:43:39 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina

I believe I scored a little over 300k during that contest so I'm hoping to beat that score this time around

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:50:57 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I can't remember if those scores were on high speed or not,but still impressive either way. And the speed definitely gradually increases. What sucks about that is the game is very cheap about it by way of often giving you every type of pill color you DON'T need. That,or you'll get 8 of the same pill color in a row.

It definitely gets tough in those later levels,although I'm playing on medium speed per Tier 2 rules. (Takes a bite of a chicken nugget.) Do we get activity books at this table? I want to help some hokie cartoon character escape a maze using a crayon.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:52:32 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: CLAYB1RD

I believe I scored a little over 300k during that contest so I'm hoping to beat that score this time around

Oh dang,you were in that. Sorry dude. Either way,those were some nice scores!

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:56:57 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina

Yeah man, I thought that score was pretty good but still put me closer to 10th. Gameboyricky and crabmaster killed it that contest!

Looking back at that year, it seemed like so many competitors participated in the weekly contests

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:12:39 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Yeah man, I thought that score was pretty good but still put me closer to 10th. Gameboyricky and crabmaster killed it that contest!

Looking back at that year, it seemed like so many competitors participated in the weekly contests

Bimmy told me he has some plans for next year to boost participation.