Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

CPU Cheating Revealed! Not surprising to many, but somebody actually broke it down for various incarnations of SFII

Sep 24 at 4:13:40 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Saw this a bit ago and figured I'd share.  I know I'm not alone in having cursed various games, systems, etc., believing that the computer was cheating in some way.  The guys mentioned in this article (YouTube "proof" video linked within) sat down and actually proved it was happening.  I get that arcade game creators did some shady stuff with difficulty to keep folks pumping in quarters, but (to me, at least) it's great to see someone actually shine some light on exactly how shady they sometimes got.

https://kotaku.com/how-street-fighter-iis-computer-opponents...

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Sep 24 at 4:35:30 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
The charge specials were a giveaway that the CPU wasn't following the same rules. CPU Guile was obviously able to sonic boom and flash kick at will and without the directional charge.

Sep 24 at 6:24:47 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Lots of fighting games "cheat". Mainly due to them firing off special moves and stuff that takes regular human players time to do (which leaves you open)

Old school Mortal Kombat's the worse. You launch an uppercut, the CPU's will launch one while yours doesn't connect. I remember getting so mad at the CPU for using Liu Kang's bike kick over and over and me yelling "STOP! YOU HAVE TO CHARGE THAT MOVE!!!" only to then have it followed up by a fatality the CPU just "launches" at me. No movement to activate or anything. It's infuriating.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Sep 24 at 10:44:56 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Interesting read and vid but I guess I'm not surprised. Does this apply to console ports at all? Been a while since I played SFII.

Edited: 09/24/2019 at 10:45 PM by JamesRobot

Sep 25 at 10:55:53 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

Interesting read and vid but I guess I'm not surprised. Does this apply to console ports at all? Been a while since I played SFII.

I believe the linked article and video pertain specifically to arcade variations, but conversation about the same article that I was reading on Facebook referred to similar things happening on the SNES version (computer can instantly charge moves, is invincible when it shouldn't be, etc.), although that's more anecdotal and not documented the way the link was.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Sep 25 at 1:16:15 PM
AndyonaSkateboard (0)
< Crack Trooper >
In modern fighting games have they made any super computers that can legitimately beat the best humans the way that they did with chess?

Sep 25 at 2:39:57 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: AndyonaSkateboard

In modern fighting games have they made any super computers that can legitimately beat the best humans the way that they did with chess?

They made the CPU read our inputs, but not even that can save it.
Still, you got to play dumb against the CPU. Playing smart is only for when playing against other players in FGs.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Sep 25 at 3:52:50 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: Br81zad

The charge specials were a giveaway that the CPU wasn't following the same rules. CPU Guile was obviously able to sonic boom and flash kick at will and without the directional charge.
Exactly, and I never played SFII until it was on XBLA and I hated it.  Lame as shit.  This is why I love Tekken.  Well... Tekken 3 and Tag.  The rest can piss up a rope.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 25 at 5:35:23 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Originally posted by: Br81zad

Exactly, and I never played SFII until it was on XBLA and I hated it.  Lame as shit.  This is why I love Tekken.  Well... Tekken 3 and Tag.  The rest can piss up a rope.

I'm big on Tekken as well but how did you avoid Street Fighter in the 90s?

Sep 25 at 10:37:45 PM
AndyonaSkateboard (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Originally posted by: AndyonaSkateboard

They made the CPU read our inputs, but not even that can save it.
Still, you got to play dumb against the CPU. Playing smart is only for when playing against other players in FGs.

I think the computers will take over eventually. Now that AIs can learn its just a matter making them plays 1000s of matches. I know platform fighting is a bit different but check out this SSBM AI taking on a professional player: 

Sep 26 at 1:04:36 AM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Old school Mortal Kombat's the worse. You launch an uppercut, the CPU's will launch one while yours doesn't connect. I remember getting so mad at the CPU for using Liu Kang's bike kick over and over and me yelling "STOP! YOU HAVE TO CHARGE THAT MOVE!!!" only to then have it followed up by a fatality the CPU just "launches" at me. No movement to activate or anything. It's infuriating.

It's actually possible for a human to do multiple charge moves in a row in MK2. You have to let go of the button for only the briefest of moments and then it hold it again. It's very difficult to do in an actual match setting, however.

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (56 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 26 at 9:08:15 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Well, yeah, but two can play at that game   I used to abuse the shit out of cpu exploits. That's how you beat SF and MK.

I didn't mind the instant special moves but to manually set different frame rules for the computer is lame. Recovering from stun in less than 3 frames gtfo.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Edited: 09/26/2019 at 09:08 AM by Andy_Bogomil

Sep 26 at 10:40:15 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: scaryice

Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

It's actually possible for a human to do multiple charge moves in a row in MK2. You have to let go of the button for only the briefest of moments and then it hold it again. It's very difficult to do in an actual match setting, however.

Yeah you're right, but the CPU fires them off a bit more faster and unfairly, especially MK3. Liu Kang's a pain in the arse in that game as he seems to start another bike move before the other finishes. 

Raiden's another story. lol

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Sep 26 at 12:47:11 PM
Pendragonx (5)
(Evan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
this was really cool, and makes me feel better about not being able to beat it with some characters as a kid

Sep 26 at 12:48:28 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

Well, yeah, but two can play at that game   I used to abuse the shit out of cpu exploits. That's how you beat SF and MK.
I kind of assume that's the contract in most fighting games: the CPU cheats, but the designers can't foresee every possible exploit, so the way to win is to force the CPU to repeatedly make stupid choices.

The problem is, there's not much long-term fun there.   It's not as if most people yearn for more experiences where they're treated unfairly, after all -- they already get enough of that in everyday life!  

I'd rather either have the player and the CPU on 100% equal footing, or make the asymmetries an intentional part of the gameplay. NES Punch-Out manages to be fun, after all.