Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Some guidelines - UPDATED 9/18/2017 Ends: Monday January 1st 2012, 12:00pm (NA time/EST) -- High bid: $1.00

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:33:38 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: smokinjoe24

Originally posted by: MrMark0673

There is the subject of requiring bids to be made public. I know there are several members that are against the idea as some people want to remain anonymous when buying high ticket items, but the potential for shill bidding by the seller is pretty high.

Not saying it should be required one way or the other, but I think the seller should have to state at the start of the auction whether bids must be public or can be private.

I think if someone doesn't want their name associated with winning an item, then they need to do without it. This secretive stuff is probably the most annoying part of this site. Maybe because I'm not a collector and don't give 2 craps about who has what, but it shouldn't matter if everyone knows who wins it or not.

I don't think bids needs to be private period. Too much shady stuff can go down. If someone doesn't want their name associated with an auction, then have a friend on here do the bidding for you. I'll bid for whoever unless I have had issues with you in the past.

I'm kind of on the fence here.  Whenever I sell a "for offer" item, or simply make a sale without a thread (i.e. through PMs or AIM or whatever), I usually omit the price from the NA transaction (i.e. Panic Restaurant CIB Mint for $$$) because it is no one's business other than the seller or buyer.  If the buyer wants to make the transaction public then fine, but the seller is not at all responsible.

However, in auction terms, I think the end price should always be public.  Even "private" auctions on eBay have the end price clearly stated.  There is absolutely nothing to stop a thread starter from arbitrarily raising the bid price if private bidding is allowed.  Furthermore, what if the seller gets a much higher bid through PM that is 1 second late and decides to count it?  I'm sure that 99.9% of NA would never do this, but all it takes is one sour apple to ruin the party.

It is much better to make bidding public and then the entire community has the peace of mind of knowing that the auction is legit.  No one can cry wolf or make any accusations against the seller, and all bids are clearly timestamped.  There will be absolutely no arguing or confusion about who won, and I can think of at least one or two private auctions in the past few months where this has been an issue.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:17:08 AM
smokinjoe24 (147)
(P Fen) < Bowser >
United States
Agreed...if two people agree on something with an offer, then it is up to them to let that info out. But with bids, ALWAYS need to be public.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:45:11 AM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas

How about a standardized ending time? For example, all auctions end at 8pm NA time...? This way you don't have to remember the ending time for each auction. If not a rule, maybe just a guideline. Like we all try to end at the same time for the convinence of others, but you can end at a different time if you're SuperNESman or something. Thoughts?

e: dumbassness.

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Edited: 10/29/2009 at 09:45 AM by Mario's Right Nut

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:04:03 PM
genesisdon't (66)
(Omicron Theta) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
diggin the new av fris!

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:28:23 PM
genesisdon't (66)
(Omicron Theta) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
We are not smutt peddlers here on the age . I agree with joe. there is no need for shadow bidding. However, I feel rlues must be set in place concerning bidding restrictions for newbies, hall of shamers, etc. the info on who can and can't bid on a seller's items shold be placed in their personal section. This way, no one gets offended if their bid is ruled invalid by the seller. also, a limit must be set on retractions. I have had many -an-ager back out on deals in favor of the lower price up the thread(same thing on the bay). I forsee this being a major issue down the unless a limit is set into place from the jump.

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:36:06 AM
bbadeau (1)
(Bill Badeau) < Little Mac >
Oregon

Great discussion

If you don't mind a newbie's opinion, I think it would be nice to have an "auction-like" section added to this great site that would make it easier to buy, sell, and trade stuff. The forum is nice but it's a bit cumbersome for buyers looking for sellers. As long as the fees were reasonable I would be interested. I live in a hole here in the Willamette Valley (Oregon) and have little choice but to go to fleaBay.

I think a section run by those who really know this stuff would be very helpful. I personally would like a formal rating system put in that would provide guidelines for both buyers and sellers.

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:39:43 AM
Marton (95)
(Martin T) < Ridley Wrangler >
Quebec
Originally posted by: bbadeau

Great discussion

If you don't mind a newbie's opinion, I think it would be nice to have an "auction-like" section added to this great site that would make it easier to buy, sell, and trade stuff. The forum is nice but it's a bit cumbersome for buyers looking for sellers. As long as the fees were reasonable I would be interested. I live in a hole here in the Willamette Valley (Oregon) and have little choice but to go to fleaBay.

I think a section run by those who really know this stuff would be very helpful. I personally would like a formal rating system put in that would provide guidelines for both buyers and sellers.

As a newbie, maybe you don't know www.gamegavel.com... which is exactly what you need, an video game auction site with reasonable fees.

Download my band's FREE ALBUM ! http://thenewrome.bandcamp.com/...

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:28:21 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
personally i think everyone should just donate some cash to NA if their auctions do well. i mean if you have to pay fees then you might as well list on ebay and have 100,000 times more people that can see your auction and bid. There's a lot of members here but nothing compared to how many people use ebay (at least not yet). And with the fact that there is a huge majority of less people to bid here, is usually gonna end up with sellers not getting as much for their items in an NA auction as they would in an ebay auction. However you dont have to pay fees, and might get away with a personal paypal payment so the lack of having fees makes it even out IMO. Actually better because i personally hate ebay's structure, and would be great to have a place to sell games in an auction where you dont have to worry about being negged for any ridiculous thing.

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:49:01 PM
Nintegrity (20)
(Nintendo Purist) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Is NA time the same as Eastern(Est US/Canada) time?

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:50:07 PM
Nintegrity (20)
(Nintendo Purist) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
I see EDT/GMT-4 by my time. Anyone know what that represents?

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:53:24 PM
paulyshobby (90)
(Paul LaMalfa) < Ridley Wrangler >
New Hampshire
Eastern Standard Time (EST) / Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)

Eastern Time Zone, USA & Canada

Check out my eBay/Amazon stores!
http://www.paulyshobby.com...

Edited: 03/18/2010 at 07:54 PM by paulyshobby

May 5, 2011 at 6:45:55 PM
srh201 (114)
(Hootie McBoobins D.N.S.) < Bowser >
United States
lets add this to the guidelines to avoid future complications:

Originally posted by: srh201

The ruling of the Supreme Court of NintendoAGE in the case of Clutch v Jone has set a precedent for all future auctions in the community of NintendoAGE. The court's ruling was that if a bid is placed at the exact ending time of an auction, that bid will be honored. Jone has publicly commented that he does not intend to appeal the decision made by Judge Garth Brooks.

Excellent CASE CLOSED!

Look, if you don't like the things that I post, don't PM me about it and don't start a war in a thread. Just FOE ME so you don't have to read my posts! That's why Dain put it there! Use it!!!

May 12, 2011 at 12:47:06 PM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
I think there has been confusion lately on a few of the topics/auctions listed in the NA Auctions thread.

I would like to recommend we set a standard for everyone to follow - Setting an END TIME clearly listed in the listing or subject using the time on Nintendo Age forums. This way everyone can figure out on their own what time it is ending based on their local time.

This way there is no confusion as to when an auction actually ends and it is very clear for the person listing the auction as well as those bidding on the auction. If this is followed, it will be very difficult for someone to say they didn't know when it ended.

Clear communication of the terms. Since we all use Nintendo Age, I think it makes sense that the Nintendo Age clock is the official clock members should use.

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

May 15, 2011 at 12:06:52 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Originally posted by: gwyndion

I think there has been confusion lately on a few of the topics/auctions listed in the NA Auctions thread.

I would like to recommend we set a standard for everyone to follow - Setting an END TIME clearly listed in the listing or subject using the time on Nintendo Age forums. This way everyone can figure out on their own what time it is ending based on their local time.

This way there is no confusion as to when an auction actually ends and it is very clear for the person listing the auction as well as those bidding on the auction. If this is followed, it will be very difficult for someone to say they didn't know when it ended.

Clear communication of the terms. Since we all use Nintendo Age, I think it makes sense that the Nintendo Age clock is the official clock members should use.

NA time has been the standard time for a while now. Read #1 of Dan's post and it is already spelled out in the guidelines...
It is also in Section V item 2 of the FAQ's (which everybody should be reading before posting/selling)
http://www.nintendoage.com/pub/fa...

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Edited: 10/29/2011 at 07:13 PM by Benihana

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:02:41 PM
brevardcountypcr (1)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(j marsh) < Little Mac >
Florida
can i accept any form of payment i can accept if i put a auction on it ?

my website http://www.brevardcountypcrepair....

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:10:10 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
You can accept used gym socks if you want...I guess. As long as both parties agree to the form of payment described in the transaction you should be OK. Some people shy away from Amazon and PayPal gift payments so keep that in mind.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:34:39 PM
MattInParadise (2)

(Matt Lewis) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I didn't see anything about creating multiple auctions at once... any issues with that? Do I get a "free bump" per day, per thread? Just want to make sure I'm clear before I violate any of the rules. Thanks again.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:41:15 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
What would probably work best if you have multiple items is to put them in the same auction and accept bids on each item. That would be easier for everyone to follow than chasing around several auctions and trying to remember how much you bid on what.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:42:20 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
We are a little more lenient on the 24 hour bump rules with auctions, especially on the final day, just try not to go nuts about it.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:45:48 PM
MattInParadise (2)

United States
Well I've got the Ninja Gaiden Prototype currently, I don't think I can or should mess with that one. But I'm going to auction off a lot of 3 NES Games with original booklets. I just wasn't sure if I could run more than one at any given time.

If I'm just talking about those two, do you think there would be any issues? I don't think I'll be tossing anything else up on the auction block for a bit, at least until one or both have been completed. Thanks for the reply and info laserman81.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:47:00 PM
MattInParadise (2)

United States
Sweet, thank B.A. I will be mindful of the others and won't "go nuts about it". Thanks again.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:47:16 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
You can make another thread, don't add items onto an auction you have already started.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:48:54 PM
MattInParadise (2)

United States
That's what I figured. I didn't want to modify what was up for auction since that has been going for a day now. Check out my new thread, probably will be posting it this evening. Thanks again!

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:22:20 PM
Lucas Barton (24)
(Power Glove) < Crack Trooper >
Alabama
Are 'garage sale' auctions allowed right now?

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:17:21 PM
pk space jam (58)
(What is love?) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Quick question, I think I may have made my price too high to start, am I allowed to change it? No one has bid on the auction yet... or do i have to wait till its over to start again.

Buy my stuff (NES repros right now) here <------
Read about me learning NES programming here. 
Here's my band.
Pen & paper game I wrote about Dolphins