Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AGE Expo -- Swap Meet Annoucemnt

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:35:39 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
We haven't really talked to much about it the event having a swap meet area, but it will for sure.  We will have a few tables set up so you guys can setup booths in blocks of 30 mins or an hour.  It will be $5 bucks for 30 mins, or $10 bucks for an hour.  So we don't step on any vendor toes, there will be a hour time limit per member.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.  So bring all your spare crap and help fund your trip to the event.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Edited: 08/18/2008 at 10:06 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:13:10 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
This is a sick deal. Keep in mind, all proceeds from the convention just go ahead to fund the website improvements, and next year's convention. Your $5 doesn't go into anyone's lobster dinners.

Also a great way to pay for your ticket, gas, and whatever else, just bring a suitcase full of your extras, set up shop and rake in the dough. Remember the MAJORITY of the people we have at the expo will be local kids and young adults with NOTHING BETTER TO DO than spend their mom's hard-earned $50 on your classic plastic. Bring it along, and even if you're only there for a half hour, you'll have paid for the table, your lunch and some other goodies.

BTW I'm confirmed for a vendor table, but I'll just be bringing my stuff to set up and sell. This is another good "buddy" thing so one of you can go shop around while another watches the wares. Price stickers are a good thing.

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:35:03 AM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Oh hay, I have some dupes! I even have a small amount of them set aside and ready to sell. Assuming they aren't too heavy for me (wimpy arms) I'll give this a whirl. Also gives me something to do this weekend. Sort through the rest of my dupes. Whee.

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:33:07 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I had been wondering about bringing doubles/extra stuff to sell, but wasn't really sure how that was going to work (I had this horrid image of a bunch of people walking around with duffel bags full of their doubles and randomly asking if anyone wanted to trade). Now I know and that's a pretty awesome idea.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Aug 16, 2008 at 11:55:18 AM
Peroxide (5)
( Tyler  ) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
I personally prefer the trench coat method of selling.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:27:06 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
I just keep them in my pants and let people "bob for bubble bobble"

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:19:07 PM
Jumpman Jr. (47)
(Will Bowins) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I MIGHT bring some stuff with me too. If I have enough good stuff to bring, I'll bring it up, and plop it on a table for half an hour or whatever.

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:12:59 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
^ Like I said, it doesn't have to be "good stuff" either. I'll be stuffing my car with everything that might appeal to the casual gamer. I'm putting my eBay store on vacation for that day and just trying to get cash on the barrelhead for all my excitebikes and alike games.

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:55:09 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Ditka is what I will be selling the most of (hopefully) but I have a pile of crap I will be bring as well to try and unload.
~~NGD

Aug 17, 2008 at 7:43:08 PM
Jumpman Jr. (47)
(Will Bowins) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: dangevin

^ Like I said, it doesn't have to be "good stuff" either. I'll be stuffing my car with everything that might appeal to the casual gamer. I'm putting my eBay store on vacation for that day and just trying to get cash on the barrelhead for all my excitebikes and alike games.

I hear ya, but I'm flying down there... Bringing stuff down really isn't a problem, as I'm going to be packing a lot of "dead space" as it is to allow for lots of games to be coming back with me.
Only problem is if I end up with a bunch of shit that doesn't sell, I'll have to bring it all back with me, and I might not have the room.
I'll most definitely be bringing some items... maybe the stuff that I don't sell, I'll try to unload to a vendor  or something like that.

Aug 17, 2008 at 8:03:59 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Yep, also Jason's generously offered to receive parcels. It's cheaper for me to just drive the 10 hours and pack my car, than pay for postage and fly down, but for a while I was considering just putting a box together and sending it on ahead.

There are going to be a few larger vendors that represent their own storefronts that will be more than willing to take your items at the end of the day, but you may not be entirely pleased with what you get for them...

You can also sell everything you can before the auction starts, then just put things into lots and let the market decide.

Aug 17, 2008 at 11:58:41 PM
the tall guy (130)
Tennessee
How will the auctions be working exactly? I mean, if someone wanted to have something auctioned off, what would be the steps to go through to do that?

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:02:51 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
It will be super easy to auction something off. We will have a small form to fill out with basic info (name, phone #, item, brief description, starting price, and reserve) Once the auction starts we will just auction them off one at a time. At the end of the auction, everyone gets paid after it ends. But it has to be interesting or obscure stuff, there is no point in auctioning off 5 common games, or a pile of SMB/DH's or anything like that.
~~NGD

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:27:59 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
^ Actually I wouldn't be so sure, quite a few of our bidders are sure to be locals, probably just looking for a good deal on a bunch of random games. There certainly has to be a minimum value to the lots though, perhaps nothing less than $20. So if you can bundle 20 commons together, you're golden.

My question - what's the auction house fee? This is a fundraiser and perhaps to keep the math simple, 10% of the final amount paid is kept as a donation to NA.com, to go towards next year's expo and site maintenance. This is very conservative as far as house fees go.

Obviously, reserves/minimum bids are fine, and if a seller is very sensitive to the price an item should sell for, they should take this into account.

Aug 19, 2008 at 4:12:19 PM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
If you're going to auction commons, why have dealers on the floor? TO be honest, the auction should be stuff you would not normally see on the floor during the course of the show. Auctions last a LONG time, and if you open the floodgates for bundled commons, I would take up 2 hours alone with my stuff, and I am sure none of us want to be there that long.

I am sure the locals want to get some deals, but in order to be timely, and keep it special, it should be items that are "different."

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:55:22 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I tend to agree with Dream on this one. If people want to bundle their lose commons games they can do it at the end at the swap tables. The auction should be for interesting stuff, not a pile of 20 common games.
~~NGD

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:10:49 PM
the tall guy (130)
Tennessee
Two questions, as I round up my doubles:

Do we need to do anything to reserve a swap meet table?
Will there be somewhat of a set time for the swap meet (like 12 to 4 or something), or is it going to be an all day as long as the expo is going on thing?

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:13:43 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
No need to reserve time, it is first come first serve.

The itinerary on the expo site shows when the swap is own and closes up.
~~NGD

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:27:03 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
I'd recommend getting there to set up right at 10 if you want to make some real money, the exchance of $ is highest in the first hour of any convention, then tapers off because

1: the good stuff gets snapped up
2: buyers blow their budget

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:04:31 PM
the tall guy (130)
Tennessee
Hope people are looking for CDi demos.

Haha.