Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

This time next year, will SE be $1,000 cart-only?

Oct 15, 2006 at 7:50:23 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
As the new post on the main page says, I'm a bit concerned that a cart-only Stadium Events will fetch $1,000 this time next year.

Anyone else agree? What are your thoughts about this trend we're seeing where relative unknowns are paying outrageous amounts of money on semi-rare games?

-Dain

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:49:45 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
It blows my mind to Dain. I know we have had some long bitch feasts about this on the phone too. Just 4 years ago it was selling for around 300 bucks, and 700+ every time seems like. The trend has to hit a high spot and level out right.....?

I am almost tempted to record every SE that sales in the next 2 years, write down the buyers name, and see how long it takes them to resale it. Might be interesting and show how the makes flucuates.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Oct 15, 2006 at 9:10:12 AM
Hounder (0)
(David Pendergast) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
My thoughts on this make me mad. lol I still need this cart and I don't want to pay over $650 for it. I think I had better pick it up in the next few months. Looks like I will be hitting DP here real soon with some offers.

I think you are right Dain on the price going up. I think the main problem is that people are getting into collecting moreso and this is one of the last games they need. With that being so, most are now in collector's hands so it's becoming more difficult to get their hands on. I've recently learned that this is the case with alot of Atari games. Most of the rare crap is in collector's hands and so when one goes up for sale, it goes for huge bucks. I'm so jealous when people say they paid $300 for their copy of SE. I'm hoping, really really hoping, that this trend dies quick. Panesians are in the same boat and I need those too :-/

Hi, my name is David Pendergast, aka:

Jesse Jones
Philip Varney

I scammed people on NintendoAge a while back. Since then, I've been unwelcome. Do not do business with me!

Oct 15, 2006 at 11:04:18 AM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
I personally think that there are always ups and downs. Sure, this is the 2nd time this game has sold for around $900, but I don't know if it will necessarily continue to rise. I think a major factor here is the quantity of any particular game on eBay. Generally when a price skyrockets, people put more copies of the game on eBay to try and get the same amount, and then they end up selling for less, and suddenly the "value" drops again.

I've also noticed that a lot of collectors don't see actual rarity as a variable, but more the price paid at the last known sale of the game. It seems that there are quite a few collectors that see a high priced game sell for 900, then they see it at 600 or 700 (which may still be considered overpriced) and they try to win it for this since they believe its value lies at around 900. When someone then comes along that really needs the cart to finish their collection, they have to bid against these people and hence the price stays high.

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:16:35 PM
Hounder (0)
Illinois
Thing that scares me is that this means the even harder to find manual and box are going to probably go up in value as well if the cart does. The box is worth almost 2x the amount of the cart. I can see people paying up to $1500 for the box even though most collector's with a good head on their shoulders wouldn't pay more than a grand because they know the value. Ebay really does mess up the "value" of NES games and it ticks me off. What makes it even harder is that when you buy from other collector's alot of times they won't sell less than ebay prices. Here I am rambling on.....I could go on all day.....

Jesse Jones
Philip Varney

I scammed people on NintendoAge a while back. Since then, I've been unwelcome. Do not do business with me!

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:27:53 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
I cant say ive ever seen the us version of se sell under 500.00 but prices do go up and down..i paid 275.00 for my loose caltron a few years ago but they havent been selling to well recently. I think the biggest way carts go cheap sometimes is when by freak chance the few that want a rare cart simply dont have the money at the time the cart is listed or several rare carts are listed at one time.....Ive noticed in the past and a lot of people probally remember when the nwc cart sold for a crazy amount then the next week there was 3 or 4 listed and none of the 4 brought anything close to the first one. The biggest pain I see in collecting are the newbies that think they need a complete collection in a month and buy up everything at double or triple what carts are worth then they end up reselling when they cant pay their credit card bills.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:29:50 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: wrldstrmanThe biggest pain I see in collecting are the newbies that think they need a complete collection in a month and buy up everything at double or triple what carts are worth then they end up reselling when they cant pay their credit card bills.

I couldn't have said it any better

-Dain

Oct 15, 2006 at 7:15:46 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
speaking of Caltron, I just bought one 10 mins ago for 139 bucks. YAY!!!
~~NGD

Oct 15, 2006 at 7:21:00 PM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia
I have a Track & Field 2 that I'll sell for $500! It's ALMOST the same as Stadium Events... Right!? That's a bargain if I ever heard one!

Only the cool kids play Track & Field...

Oct 15, 2006 at 7:21:21 PM
Hounder (0)
Illinois
Well, none have sold for under $500 for the past few years. I've read old threads over at DP where $300 was the max for SE. I know that's what portnoyd bought his for and D_N_G bought his complete for under $300. Of course that was by freak chance.

Jesse Jones
Philip Varney

Oct 23, 2006 at 1:54:24 AM
Hounder (0)
Illinois
Looks like another sold for close to $900:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stadium-Ev...WQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

At this rate, the box and manaul are going to go up in value tremendously.

Jesse Jones
Philip Varney

Oct 23, 2006 at 8:43:40 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
God damn, at that price, the least he could do is knock off the shipping cost...shit

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:15:41 AM
JC (7)

< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
What the heck makes it go for so much? What I mean is, how many were made? I always hear you collectors talking about this one...I think it's funny, because I know I'd never put down the money for a game that only has a different label and start screen. I know, I know -- I'm no variant collector, and I couldn't begin to understand those of you who are. But really...how many were made? And can you compare that to say NWC? Or to any other game that sells for a high price? The only thing I know of for the Famicom that sells at the SE cart-only price is a CIB silver cart Gundam Z Hot Scramble Final Version, of which only 1,000 were made. Goes for over $1,000.

Oct 25, 2006 at 10:36:56 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: Hounder

Well, none have sold for under $500 for the past few years. I've read old threads over at DP where $300 was the max for SE. I know that's what portnoyd bought his for and D_N_G bought his complete for under $300. Of course that was by freak chance.

300 was the max for a SE. bottom line. i wish i got mine then too. but i really truly honestly believe that the reason its sky rocketing is because gamestop dont sell used nes games anymore. thats gotta be it. the reason i never got my SE for 300 was because i knew sooner or later i was gonna track one down at a gamestop that sold it for 8 bucks. i literally found like 5 or 6 different traders who got theirs at gamestop. and a couple traders got more than one copy. And i was always under the impression i would sooner or later get one there. and im sure everyone else was too. i remeber going to Gstops website and searching all the stores in 200 mile radius all the time and i remeber this kid who found one like that too and he sold it on gametz for like 250 or something like that. But anyways know your chances of gettin it anywhere is impossible. so now everyone knwos the only way to get it is to simply break down and pay insane for it. although im not anytime soon. it freakin sucks this local dealer i know had one about a year ago before i know her. she sold it of course but only for like 100 bucks lol. she says she'll find me another but i highly doubt it but it doesnt hurt to hope lol. :-)

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:19:24 AM
wrldstrman (107)
West Virginia
unless the recalled ones somehow get discovered in a warehouse seeing the recalled ones didnt get destroyed. the price will probally keep climbing. I dont know if anyone keeps track but it seems the few that do show up on ebay get passed back and forth..like I mentioned Its seems like a lot of new want to be collectors buy up the rares only to lose interest in a year or two or get in credit card debt and have to sell..

where was or is the bandai company located if someone lived close it would be interesting to talk to some old employees to see if they remembered picking up the old copies and what they did with them.

looks like they meerged with namco only address i could find was Cypress, California. dont know if that was the bandai site or namco

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Edited: 10/26/2006 at 03:23 AM by wrldstrman

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:33:42 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
They are in Cal. I remember someone at nesworld visted them once and they had a SE on display in there lobby in fact behind glass. An old employee might be able to find some if, but finding an old employee might be impossible.
~~NGD

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:36:15 PM
wrldstrman (107)
West Virginia
I could be 100 percent wrong but didnt the person see the SE at nintendo in NY

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:51:17 PM
Hounder (0)
Illinois
There is a sealed copy on display at the Bandai HQ in California.

Jesse Jones
Philip Varney