NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join
Aug 20, 2007 at 12:49:33 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: Hogie1418

Originally posted by: NOFRIENDO

Good one Marios Left Nut,You should know by now that Braveheart never runs out of money.I guarntee he still buys up all the boxed lots,he has to fund this over priced purchase somehow.Mostly by buying CIB lots then selling them back to us for more,so in a round about way we all paid for this SE by letting him win all the auctions on e-bay.

Dude what the hell is your problem. How old are you 10? Get over it. If someone wants to make a purchase of anything, whether its an SE or a lot of boxed games, they are entitles to. All you do is cry about how braveheart has all this money to buy all these games. Is this Jealousy? If you want to win a lot you have to be prepared to pay for it. Trust me, on most these lots with common games braveheart is bidding on hes not throwing in huge final bids. hes just trying to get them as cheap as possible so he can pick through them. So if you truly want one of these lots that you never stop complaining about because of "Braveheart" you need to grow some balls and throw some money down.

Yeah I have to agree I think its time to stop gripping about what Eric buys or sells. Good grief like ive said before this is a hobby. no ones going to come to your house and stone you because you dont have a game. Having been in collecting for a long time. I can say most of the guys have extra money and big collections from being smart. The worst way to start collecting is buying single games or items your out what ever you paid. I only bid on auctions that Im able to keep a game or 2 and can sell the rest off to get my money back. Im on to snes now and you better belive Ill bid any snes auction up to win what I want. When you first start collecting you have to start on the bottom like everyone else. Its actually not even good sense to try and keep up with the guys who have been collecting for a long time. Ive been outbid on tons of stuff over the years you just suck it up and wait for the next one.

-------------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:54:22 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta

Good one Marios Left Nut,You should know by now that Braveheart never runs out of money.I guarntee he still buys up all the boxed lots,he has to fund this over priced purchase somehow.Mostly by buying CIB lots then selling them back to us for more,so in a round about way we all paid for this SE by letting him win all the auctions on e-bay.

Braveheart's a great guy to deal with who has a ton of dupes pass through his hands. If you were to have approached him with a different attitude, I'm sure he would have been more than happy to swing some sweet deals with you for whatever it is NES-wise you're looking for.

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Edited: 08/20/2007 at 12:57 PM by Dr. Morbis

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:59:34 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Anyone who's tried reselling things found on eBay knows it's a tough friggin job. There's no easy money about it. Dealing with claims on deadbeat sellers, soaking fees and keeping track of second chances and fvf credits from deadbeat buyers, dealing with customers using clones that won't play perfectly good games, hand-cleaning each game so it works in old busted up systems...

...and that's not to mention all the normal BS that goes with accurately pricing, listing and depicting items that everyone on eBay wrestles with...

...it's a way to support a hobby, and if one does it right it makes it cheap or free. Sometimes a little money comes in, sometimes there's a lucky cheap BIN/mislisted lot, or pennies just add up over time... and that lets one spend it on nice things like this. Without batting an eyelash, because one EARNS it. But it's hustle, it's work, and frankly I'd walk a mile in Bravehearts (or any reseller's) shoes before casting aspersions about that method of supporting the hobby.

BTW, he's a knowledgable and contributing member to this and other forums too, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for someone who actively tries to participate on the level of his or her customer base. In ANY business. When I owned my gaming store it was NEVER beneath me to sit down and teach a kid Yugioh, or play tournament-level Magic with someone looking for a challenge. It's because I love the hobby of tabletop gaming, and even though I was looking to pay for my dinner with the money those customers brought into the store, that still didn't mean we both couldn't benefit from the transaction in other ways.

He's a hard worker, he's enlightened, and he's established.

Now please let's try to keep the posts positive. Everybody.

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:10:46 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
We all have our beefs with fellow members sometimes and it id bound to happen. I like to poke fun at several of the guys on these very boards and the do the same in return. Erik is a good guy and you shouldn't bash him cause he can afford to spend more money than you. Like everyone has said he is willing to help other collectors out if you and is a big player on this site that posts lots of good info. NOfriendo if you have a beed with braveheart do it over PM's and not on the boards. This site is not going to turn into a place of negativity.

Lets this thread back on topic. Congrats Erik! Now trade me some manauls
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:40:34 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
I was about to go on the same way four or five others have re BH. So he bought it, so what. Its his right.

Besides, whenever you see someone winning a lot of stuff you have to remember that one of these days they are either going to a) stop collecting or b) start getting outbid by someone with more money. All its going to take (for example) is for a cardiologist and a neurosurgeon who loved the nes to start collecting and then its bye-bye erik when it comes to being the winning bidder on rare items.

Or maybe he gets married, has kids, and bye-bye time to resell lots on ebay.

One way or another, no one collects forever, and getting mad at him for winning stuff on ebay makes about as much sense as getting mad at someone for buying stuff from a store.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 08/20/2007 at 01:43 PM by Bronty

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:40:55 PM
mario's left nut (163)
(Poster Nutbag) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Hahaha.

Hopefully people know that I was joking about Braveheart's recent negative bashing by a certain member here. More power to Braveheart! Um, pg. 16 I believe.

NGD - agreed sir! This shouldn't be the place for negativity. I was under the impression everyone here wants to help everyone else out, rather than name call and whine.

Do tigers sleep in lily patches, do rhinos run from thunder?

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:46:31 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
marios left nut, You were simply making a joke about it. Everyone knows you didnt mean anything by it.

Congrats Eric!!!

Edited: 08/20/2007 at 01:47 PM by Hogie1418

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:18:09 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Thank you everyone, I never take it personally anyways but it is nice to see the outpouring of positivity. I thought completing my set was a good thing, LOL! Means all the rest of the people who need SE cart will never have to bid against me for it again too. Someone made a great point about me not bidding super high on the lots I do buy. I am in no way the size of a Discountgames (Shelby1999) or a SosaFan or a few of the others out there. I have a full time job, I only try to buy lots for decent prices that I can go through looking for variants and upgrades to my current collection while making sure the lots are cheap enough that I can resell them and at least break even. I am not trying to make a living reslling eBay lots, that would be pretty damn tough, if not nearly impossible. If I could buy lots and trade every item I got in the lots for stuff I didn't have I would be fine with that too as sometimes there are items you need that no amount of cash will be able to pry from the owners hands, but a trade will work for both sides. I like to be into CIB games for a certain dollar amount, and I break the 3 parts of a CIB game down into values for the pieces. I probably win 1/10 if not 1/20 lots I bid on, it's fine by me I roll with it like any other item I bid and lose on, not the end of the world by any means. I am however amazed sometimes when SosaFan or Shelby1999 will outbid me on a lot and fight with someone else and end up with a boxed lot or something with a price point of over $7 or $8 a game... how the hell can they do that? Especially when the bottom most common say 200 games can not be sold CIB for more than $5-$6 and most of the lots on eBay usually consists of 60-70% of the games being in the bottom 200. In the long run there is no way that is profitable, now if you are just trying to hike sales up to sell your business then....

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:52:16 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: Dr. Morbis

Braveheart's a great guy to deal with who has a ton of dupes pass through his hands. If you were to have approached him with a different attitude, I'm sure he would have been more than happy to swing some sweet deals with you for whatever it is NES-wise you're looking for.

well said morbis

Nofriendo - Yea bro i was seeing your points for awhile but you are kinda getting out of hand now. Erik is a great guy, as i said before and if you tell him what your looking for im sure he'll hook you up. And i know everyone here is not sitting around letting him win anything. In fact most of the time he gets outbid by someone, but just likes to drop the first bid all the time. And even if he was winning everything (which he isnt) there is no reason for the negativity. He can buy whatever he wants. Heck if i had the extra cash i would do the EXACT same thing. buy every big lot, and piece it out in my store. othing wrong with that at all. Would be sweet and fund a collection. But i can tell ya now, if you plan to get in this hobby with no cash, ya better think again. Nowadays its tough to try and get stuff cheap. So as hogie said ....yea your gonna have to get some balls and throw down those bids. Dont be intimidated man. Bid on whatever you want, no biggie. Everyones entitled to do what they want. Anyways also as NGD says, Lets get this thread baxck on topic (starting to sound like a thread at Digitpress LOL)

Anyways congrats again Erik on the NICE SE! :-)

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Edited: 08/20/2007 at 03:54 PM by Parpunk

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:12:41 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Ok I have paid for the SE. Hope it gets here he is supposed to ship it overnight insured mail tomorrow morning. I insisted he send me a proof pic and this is what he sent, he's been real nice to work with so far so I will have my fingers crossed until Wednesday now!

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:13:45 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
You don't get any more legit than that. I think you should be fine Erik.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:17:48 PM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Congratulations, Erik. You have succeeded where my limits (which I thought were extreme enough) failed. You are now a member of a very exclusive club, that is, those of us who have completed the NES set. I must applaud your effort, and A+ for winning SE .

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:20:19 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Thank you, I must say when you said you weren't going to bid as your top bid was $1707 that was my inspiration to bid. I figured the #10 and #11 were only going back and forth by $25 each time so I could get it as long as no one else bid and you were the one I was worried about and I really hadn't decided to bid until you dropped out. My logic was if you were going to go $1707 then you probably would next time to so why not get this while I still can before it $2000.

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:28:32 PM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Yeah, I think next time would be the one that breaks the bank, as it were... It just seems to me that no matter how much I try to rationalize it, I never did see myself paying $1700+ (at least all at once ) for a game, no matter the rarity. I was always the kid that put back every nickel, dime, and quarter he came across when he was younger... You couldn't get me to spend 75 cents on a gallon of milk, or $5 on a pair of pants. But you have to take desperate measures when the time comes, and as I'm a bit older, and a bit more, mm, what's the term..."financially secure"...I think I can do this now. I'll be putting some money back here and there for a collection fund... Each time I see one of the real chase games on eBay, it'll be from that money that I make the purchase, even if it ends up being $2000+ for the next SE.

Come to think about it, my bank is offering a free $50 Visa gift card if I open a new checking account there...no minimum balance either... I may end up using that account to make said purchases.

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Edited: 08/20/2007 at 10:29 PM by mb7241

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:32:05 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Where's the receipt! I want the burning question answered, how big of a killing did the seller make!!!

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:40:17 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
Congrats on the win Erik & congrats on having a complete set!!

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:42:31 PM
nes_king (63)
(josh .) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
to be honest i dont think there are too many of these left.. gonna be a long time before we see another for sale...

sell me your flintstones surprise at dinosaur peak MANUAL..

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:55:12 PM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: nes_king

to be honest i dont think there are too many of these left.. gonna be a long time before we see another for sale...

The longer the time, the more money I'll have put back... The only catch, well...I don't feel like waiting until 2015 to buy it unless I have to, lol. 2010, though, that'd be just fine with me. In the meantime, I can get the other 280 or so I need, and be that much closer when the time comes .

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:59:48 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I think we'll actually see quite a few more in the next month or two -- guys, this happens EVERY year. We see one rare game go for double what it's worth, then all the others come out of the woodworks and they end up going down in price due to the new supply. I may be wrong, but it happens almost like clockwork.

Aug 20, 2007 at 11:09:47 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
^ The question is, are there any SE's left (that aren't already in serious collector's hands) *to* come out of the woodwork???

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:29:30 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Basil... you hit it man... normally I would agree with Dain 100% on any title other than SE or Myriad. I just think that we are down to maybe seeing 1-2 a year max come up for sale. Other than that I think collector's are going to have to decide to sell out to see any amount of these higher than 1-2 a year come to the table. Now saying that I lost the one that Nick sniped me on early this year like back in January, lucky bastard got that one for practically nothing after selling off the other stuff in the lot. I do think maybe 1 more will be sold this year, seems like someone usually decides to sell one around X-Mas time but that might be only shot until next year.

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:26:49 AM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
yeah the lot nick bought ended up being a great buy, and here when he first bought it I thought he overpayed and wouldnt get enough back ... I guess time will tell with the SE. I dont think many will turn up...

Edited: 08/21/2007 at 01:27 AM by Hogie1418

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:31:12 AM
skankinmack (69)
(mike mack) < El Ripper >
Ontario
well that sure was one hell of a crazy auction, congrats Braveheart

shameless plug: check out my ebay stuff

http://www.ebay.com/sch/skankinma...

Aug 21, 2007 at 7:29:54 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
It's hard to say on SE, because there are a lot of newer collectors that have one -- they see these prices and think to themselves that they could sell the SE to buy a ton of games they still need. That's just speculation, but I've noticed that newer collectors tend to flock towards the rare games first without having hardly anything else. F2 is a good example of this phenomenon.

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:46:34 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Really, that's been the suggestion of experienced collectors though - get the big ones because they're always rising in price, and worry about the rest later. I know I'll come into what I need eventually at a fair price, I never really sweated it. And hey, if it doesn't happen, at least I didn't break myself, or sweat and worry about "getting them out of the way."

I think that's the worst sentiment I've heard about collecting, I know it's just a term thrown around, people don't really mean it literally, but I've always liked looking forward to the possibility of getting a big rare cart, it just kind of looms tantalizingly in the fuzzy future. Then again, I'm the guy who loves cliffhangers and makes my wife wait a full day to watch the next episode of 24 even though we have the box set