Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Gunstar SNES, resized sprites or original sprites?

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:12:31 PM
Faltain1 (112)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(~Faltain~ ) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

How about getting some of the game running before you worry about the sprites? Gunstar Heroes really pushed the Genesis to its limits, if you can manage to actually port the game to the SNES without severe compromise I'd like to hire you immediately, you're one of the most gifted programmers in the world.
Yeah enough of this Genesis Vs Snes BS drama... lets see some results regarding an actual port first before getting into a pissing match over what system is superior.

-------------------------
To-do manuals: Arabian Knights, Gulliver Boy, Dark Law, Brandish 2, Flying Hero
Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:40:30 PM
I Need Earthbound (0)
(Clifford Wesson) < Little Mac >
Tennessee
I voted resized sprites. Though I thought this game was shit and the Genesis was mostly crap except for a few titles.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:12:46 PM
MarioMania (10)
(Danny Scalero) < El Ripper >
California
I love both systems the same..one day I could be on a Genesis Kick then NES and SNES

Nintendo Fans like this still bash the Genesis

Genesis has better games too

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:09:00 PM
I Need Earthbound (0)
Tennessee
The only reason I own any genesis games is for collecting. I own about 120 CIB genesis titles and most of them pale in comparison to equivalent SNES titles. Difference between the Genesis and SNES? I actually play the SNES. The only Sega console worth a damn to me is the Saturn, and thats only because the games are worth more.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:13:38 PM
TrekkiesUnite118 (1)

(Trekkies Unite) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Originally posted by: I Need Earthbound

The only reason I own any genesis games is for collecting. I own about 120 CIB genesis titles and most of them pale in comparison to equivalent SNES titles. Difference between the Genesis and SNES? I actually play the SNES. The only Sega console worth a damn to me is the Saturn, and thats only because the games are worth more.

So you only care about dollar signs when it comes to Sega games? How sad. There's plenty of amazing titles worth playing on the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast that can give their competitors a run for their money.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:29:51 PM
I Need Earthbound (0)
Tennessee
I've played every genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast game i owned at least once (except for sealed ones, which is about 50 percent of my Sega collection) and I can say that I still think that the N64, Gamecube, NES, and SNES are far better. I also have a everdrive for the SMS, but that console is complete shit compared even to other sega consoles. I'll probably try to pick up some complete mint, or sealed games for it still though.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:38:54 AM
TrekkiesUnite118 (1)

United States
If you don't like the system or the games why bother collecting for them? That seems like an awful waste if you ask me.

And honestly my Saturn gets played far more than my N64 these days. Mostly because it's vast library of great 2D games have aged better than most 3D games of the time. Not to mention the fact the N64 is pretty lacking in Fighting Games, shmups, and RPGs which the Saturn has a pretty significant amount of great titles in those categories.

Edited: 03/08/2013 at 12:39 AM by TrekkiesUnite118

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:06:52 AM
Jordiway73 (20)
(Jason Ordiway) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
look the snes has great games and genesis has some great games too, donkey kong country 1 2 3 is awesome, Sonic's were sweet too, Mutant league hockey and football for sega was the shit. We could go on and on all fuckin day. Both systems were good. As for the sprites do what you think looks the best, take your time make it something your proud of!!!!!!!!!

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:21:06 AM
Parodius Duh (0)

(Chris T) < Little Mac >
Connecticut
Not liking the Genesis just because you assume it has crap games is moronic. Not liking the Genesis because this is a Nintendo forum is ignorant. Thinking the Genesis has worse graphics compared to the SNES is stupid because they are two entirely different consoles with uniquely different titles available and in some cases better ports than the SNES version. Sit down and play Alien Soldier, Twin Hawk, Super Fantasy Zone, Star Odyssey, Shining Force 1+2, Landstalker, Death and Return of Superman (1000x better than the crap SNES port!), Pulseman, Ristar, Eliminate Down, Slap Fight MD, Monster World 4, Dynamite Headdy, MUSHA Aleste, Bare Knuckle 2, Bare Knuckle 3, Adventures of Batman and Robin (another case where the SNES port fails to compare with the exceptional Genesis port!), Battle Mania 2, Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines (Please dont try and compare it to the SNES games, this ones meant to be different), Mutant League Hockey, Double Dragon II, ESWAT, Mr. Nutz (again, better port than snes), Midnight Resistance, Undeadline, Flink, Gaiares, The Punisher, Rocket Knight Adventure, Scooby Doo Mystery, Skitchin, Thunderforce 2-4, Toejam and Earl, Twinkle Tale, Verytex ....I could keep going but I think just these titles alone is enough justification to be a fan of the Genesis. You Nintendo die-hards are seriously missing out on some top notch game time, I pity all of you who hate on the Genesis just because it is not a Nintendo product. If it was the 'Nintendo Genesis' you would all be head over heels for it.

Edited: 03/12/2013 at 03:22 AM by Parodius Duh

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:10:31 AM
suicidalparrot (126)
(matt s) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
What is really amusing is that we're perpetuating a console war for systems that have been obsolete since around 1995. Bravo

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:37:36 PM
MottZilla (0)
(Mott Zilla) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: suicidalparrot

What is really amusing is that we're perpetuating a console war for systems that have been obsolete since around 1995. Bravo

Well you see both Nintendo and Sega's marketting departments forgot to tell them the war was over and to come home. =)

I find it fascinating that someone would accuse Sega Genesis of being full of "crap games" and ignore all the wonderfully crappy SNES games that were released. Or the NES as well. Crap titles have blessed most every video game console.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:50:04 PM
Aaendi (0)

(Andy Koenigs) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I've ran into some vblank trouble, and it will be a while before I fix.

The way I currently have it, I have a black bar on the top and bottom of the screen, using BG3 which will also hold the status bar. Instead of using NMI, the game is running on an IRQ, that is trigger on scanline 216, and force blanks the PPU until it is finished with DMA. I run my animation at 30fps, using a double buffered dynamic animation engine. It divides the vram into 128 16x16 sprite patterns, with all 128 oam entries having it's designated 16x16 pattern. It updates even sprite patterns on even frames, and odd patterns on odd frames, and intentionally delays the OAM by a frame to avoid metasprite-pattern mismatching.

The problem arises when I have 15 enemies onscreen, and I shoot bullets, the top of the screen starts to flicker black, due to there being too many sprites patterns to update.

My solution will be to have a second set of pattern slots for 8x8 sprites.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:24:56 PM
TrekkiesUnite118 (1)

United States
Do you happen to have any footage of it? It would be interesting to see how it looks so far.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:14:14 PM
Aaendi (0)

United States
Here's what you've been waiting for.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:33:52 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
Tried it on my PSP, don't know what I was doing.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:53:33 PM
TrekkiesUnite118 (1)

United States
Looks decent so far. I tried it in bSNES and didn't see any flicker, though it did seem chug when a decent amount of enemies were on screen. I can see you running into trouble when you have to start putting in all the explosions and the homing bullets and stuff.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:36:16 AM
Aaendi (0)

United States
That is caused by your PC, not the SNES's CPU.

If you're using BSNES v091, disable "sync video" and "sync audio," and it will run at a full 60fps.

Edited: 03/13/2013 at 10:56 AM by Aaendi

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:02:47 AM
TobyManhattan (23)
(Jamie T) < Meka Chicken >
Canada
If this ends up going on a cartridge put me down immediately. It's one of the few Genesis games I've been looking for, but I'd rather have it on SNES.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:34:31 PM
TrekkiesUnite118 (1)

United States
Originally posted by: Aaendi

That is caused by your PC, not the SNES's CPU.

If you're using BSNES v091, disable "sync video" and "sync audio," and it will run at a full 60fps.
I'll give that a try tonight then.

Out of curiousity have you tried it on real hardware yet?

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:36:03 PM
Faltain1 (112)
United States
Looks good for what you've done so far.

As for the real hardware question: doesn't the Bsnes's "accuracy" setting more or less give you a pretty high level of console compatibility %? I always assumed that if it couldn't be run on that setting on the Bsnes, it'd likely not be able to be put on a cart and run on an actual console.

Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:26:30 AM
DoNotWant (1)

(Ham Sammich) < Eggplant Wizard >
Sweden
I don't know if it is just snes9x, but try jumping below a platform and push the up-button.

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:55:14 AM
TrekkiesUnite118 (1)

United States
Originally posted by: Faltain1

As for the real hardware question: doesn't the Bsnes's "accuracy" setting more or less give you a pretty high level of console compatibility %? I always assumed that if it couldn't be run on that setting on the Bsnes, it'd likely not be able to be put on a cart and run on an actual console.
My question wasn't about if it would run, it was geared more at how well it was running on real hardware.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:21:47 AM
Faltain1 (112)
United States
Originally posted by: TrekkiesUnite118

My question wasn't about if it would run, it was geared more at how well it was running on real hardware.

Sort of the same thing...?

If it would run really shitty, then there's no point, right? So it's sort of a given it'd only be worth running if it ran well...

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:29:20 PM
TrekkiesUnite118 (1)

United States

If it would run really shitty, then there's no point, right? So it's sort of a given it'd only be worth running if it ran well...
Not really the same thing. Just because it's being done doesn't mean it runs well on real hardware. Not that I'm saying it won't run well on real hardware, it would still be nice to know if there's any performance issues with that many sprites on real hardware.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:56:26 PM
Faltain1 (112)
United States

Not really the same thing. Just because it's being done doesn't mean it runs well on real hardware. Not that I'm saying it won't run well on real hardware, it would still be nice to know if there's any performance issues with that many sprites on real hardware.

...?

Ok.