Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I got excited... listing of other auctions within an auction?

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:00:48 PM
8-bit (0)
(Dr. Light) < Cherub >
United States
http://cgi.ebay.com/NES-GAME-DUST-COVER-LOT-LOGO-BLACK-SLEEV...

Well there was 20 seconds left in the auction and I got excited because there were games I needed here listed 1-10  .. so I bid first read second which is my fault 

After the auction I scrolled down to read the details and come to find out that in fact, this seller is listing games he has in another auction ...

1. MEGA MAN
  2. MEGA MAN II
  3. MEGA MAN III
  4. DRAGON WARRIOR
  5. CASSTLEVANIA
  6. CASSTLEVANIA II SIMON'S QUEST
  7. GAUNTLET
  8. GAUNTLET II
  9. ADVANCE DUNGEONS & DRAGONS HILLSFAR
  10. ADVANCE DUNGEONS & DRAGONS HEROES OF THE LANCE

this is how he had the games listed in the auction I bought. When hes actually advertising another auction within this auction. So I overpaid for the cases , but I suppose I'm wondering if that's .. uh ... ethical for him to mislead people (like me bidding at the wire)  by listing specific titles.Would be one thing to say check out my other auctions ..  but bulk of the lot description is listing games that aren't even in the lot.. maybe I'm wrong so  any input would be appreciated , thanks.

-------------------------

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:18:00 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
yea its def a little shady way to do an auction. I dont know if you overpaid for cases tho as thats what they normally go for if someone needs em and there is a bidding war.

If you thought games were included just tell them you arent paying. No big deal, Ebay is in favor of the buyer now and they pretty much dont care about sellers having non paying bidders. He can't leave you a negative anymore either. So i would just say your not paying for them, besides the seller should expect whoever wins to not pay, because of the way they did this jacked up listing.

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:22:08 PM
elhector (80)
(Hector Varga) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I don't think he's misleading people at all. The auction title and picture are pretty clear that it's for dust covers and there is a blurb of text above that list of games saying that the stuff below the blurb is stuff in other auctions. I've seen plenty of things like this in the past, lots of people advertise there other auctions in their listings. If you don't have enough time to thorougly read the auction description then it's probably better to just not bid.

Check out my YouTube Channel

Social Media Junk:

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Come check out what I have for sale.

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:24:53 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Yeah this happens all of the time on eBay. It is the buyer's responsibility to read all terms of the auction before bidding.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:25:26 PM
elhector (80)
Arizona
Originally posted by: Parpunk

yea its def a little shady way to do an auction. I dont know if you overpaid for cases tho as thats what they normally go for if someone needs em and there is a bidding war.

If you thought games were included just tell them you arent paying. No big deal, Ebay is in favor of the buyer now and they pretty much dont care about sellers having non paying bidders. He can't leave you a negative anymore either. So i would just say your not paying for them, besides the seller should expect whoever wins to not pay, because of the way they did this jacked up listing.

Actually, if he doesn't pay, the seller can file a non-paying bidder claim which will result in a non-paying bidder strike on his account.  A few of those an you are banned from eBay.  eBay only favors the buyer if the buyer actually paid for something.  eBay does not take kindly to people bidding on auctions and then not paying.   

Social Media Junk:

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:31:07 PM
8-bit (0)
(Dr. Light) < Cherub >
United States
Originally posted by: elhector

I don't think he's misleading people at all. The auction title and picture are pretty clear that it's for dust covers and there is a blurb of text above that list of games saying that the stuff below the blurb is stuff in other auctions. I've seen plenty of things like this in the past, lots of people advertise there other auctions in their listings. If you don't have enough time to thorougly read the auction description then it's probably better to just not bid.

I should have read that before I bid but saw the games listed in bold red and assumed that they were in the auction. It is my fault for not reading thoroughly .. like I said I got excited 

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:31:28 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

Actually, if he doesn't pay, the seller can file a non-paying bidder claim which will result in a non-paying bidder strike on his account.  A few of those an you are banned from eBay.  eBay only favors the buyer if the buyer actually paid for something.  eBay does not take kindly to people bidding on auctions and then not paying.   

You get 3 non-paying strikes before any restrictions are placed on your account.  And it's certainly not a permanent ban. You probably get suspended for a week or something and then go right back to business as usual.

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:36:53 PM
8-bit (0)
(Dr. Light) < Cherub >
United States
Im not gonna be a deadbeat and not pay , I bid on it im responsible for paying it and that's what I will do. Maybe ive never just come across an auction being listed in that manner. More interested in getting some feedback on the way the games were listed , I guess I have game sleeve s to fill now..

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:42:53 PM
elhector (80)
Arizona
Originally posted by: jonebone

You get 3 non-paying strikes before any restrictions are placed on your account.  And it's certainly not a permanent ban. You probably get suspended for a week or something and then go right back to business as usual.

Sellers can block accounts with non-paying strikes from bidding on there auctions too.  I have to imagine a lot of sellers do that.  I started to about 6 months ago and it's really cut down on non-paying bidders.

Social Media Junk:

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:45:06 PM
elhector (80)
Arizona
Originally posted by: 8-bit

Im not gonna be a deadbeat and not pay , I bid on it im responsible for paying it and that's what I will do. Maybe ive never just come across an auction being listed in that manner. More interested in getting some feedback on the way the games were listed , I guess I have game sleeve s to fill now..

To be honest I don't think you overpaid for as many as you got either.  You could always try and recoup some of the money by reselling some of them.  There's always people looking for those.

Social Media Junk:

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:49:32 PM
8-bit (0)
(Dr. Light) < Cherub >
United States

To be honest I don't think you overpaid for as many as you got either.  You could always try and recoup some of the money by reselling some of them.  There's always people looking for those.

I'm a NES hoarder .. I never sell anything. Good to know at least what I did buy was worth it, Thanks!

Edited: 08/09/2011 at 05:52 PM by 8-bit

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:52:08 PM
Ic3M4n (16)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(I B GONE) < Meka Chicken >
New York

Actually I would personally BURN his ass.

If it's listed in the description it's included. I would tell him make sure he includes everything listed in the description, that includes the other auction, and when he refuses give him a strike.

People want to be shady teach them a lesson.

Edited: 08/09/2011 at 05:52 PM by Ic3M4n

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:56:59 PM
8-bit (0)
(Dr. Light) < Cherub >
United States
Originally posted by: Ic3M4n

If it's listed in the description it's included. I would tell him make sure he includes everything listed in the description, that includes the other auction, and when he refuses give him a strike.

I was thinking something along those lines considering the way the games were specifically listed , but he did say in the sentence before that the games were in ANOTHER auction. So again was on me for not reading. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:57:51 PM
elhector (80)
Arizona

Dude, he's not doing anything shady.  It's perfectly legit to advertise your other listings within a listing.  eBay sellers do it all the time.  I don't mean this in any offence to the original poster, but it's not the sellers fault that the buyer didn't read the entire listing.

Social Media Junk:

Edited: 08/09/2011 at 05:59 PM by elhector

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:04:01 PM
Ic3M4n (16)
New York

Dude, he's not doing anything shady.  It's perfectly legit to advertise your other listings within a listing.  eBay sellers do it all the time.  I don't mean this in any offence to the original poster, but it's not the sellers fault that the buyer didn't read the entire listing.

Having a seperate section showing thumbnails of other auctions under a heading "check out my other items" is Not the same thing as posting whats included in another auction inside the "description" section" of current auction.

It's shady and I wouldn't pay for it. Hes just lucky he realized what was going on. It's in the description it's in the acution. My opinion!

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:11:29 PM
8-bit (0)
(Dr. Light) < Cherub >
United States

No offense taken. I've said it's my fault for not reading and I paid for this auction. Because It is my responsibility to pay as the buyer. I was curious to know if it was ethical of him to list like that. It would be one thing for him to say hey check out my other stuff like :

NES SYSTEM LOT 
GAMES LOT Etc. 

Not:
  1. MEGA MAN
  2. MEGA MAN II
  3. MEGA MAN III
  4. DRAGON WARRIOR
  5. CASSTLEVANIA
  7. GAUNTLET
  8. GAUNTLET II
And again he did say in the sentence before it was in another auction , it's just how he listed each game in bold red. Seems a tiny bit misleading , yes?

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:17:11 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
So what happens with an auction like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NES-NINTENDO-...

Do you rush and click the BIN and demand that those games come with it? I mean they're in the picture right?

There's a fine line between being a salesman and being shady. The seller obviously added those keywords to generate more hits. Putting them in bold red is kind of shady I'll admit. But they weren't pictured and it wasn't that misleading if you took the time to read through. Not saying I agree with what he did, but it definitely doesn't make him a con artist.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:19:16 PM
elhector (80)
Arizona

No offense taken. I've said it's my fault for not reading and I paid for this auction. Because It is my responsibility to pay as the buyer. I was curious to know if it was ethical of him to list like that. It would be one thing for him to say hey check out my other stuff like :

NES SYSTEM LOT 
GAMES LOT Etc. 

Not:
  1. MEGA MAN
  2. MEGA MAN II
  3. MEGA MAN III
  4. DRAGON WARRIOR
  5. CASSTLEVANIA
  7. GAUNTLET
  8. GAUNTLET II
And again he did say in the sentence before it was in another auction , it's just how he listed each game in bold red. Seems a tiny bit misleading , yes?

No, I honestly don't think using colored text is misleading at all.  He clearly states in the description that those are other things he has up for auction.  When sellers create auction listings they expect that people are actually going to read the listing.  I really don't think he was thinking "gee, if I put these in red maybe the people bidding will think this stuff is included too even though I said above it's a list of other stuff I have up for auction".  I can't find something to be misleading when it's all layed out in plain and simple text in the auction description.

Social Media Junk:

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:20:39 PM
Ic3M4n (16)
New York
The fact of it is, is that ebay has gotten so full of scam artist you can barely bid on anything. Ebay wont do anything about it, so these people will just keep scamming people.

Just like the asswipes who post Factory sealed games w/h-seam and then post in details it is an reproduction h-seam. I mean seariously people.

It is getting to a point where you almost need a Lawyer to know what yopu are getting and it's annoying.

People constantly try and find "legal" ways to mislead people and they desrve what they get.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:20:55 PM
elhector (80)
Arizona

Having a seperate section showing thumbnails of other auctions under a heading "check out my other items" is Not the same thing as posting whats included in another auction inside the "description" section" of current auction.

It's shady and I wouldn't pay for it. Hes just lucky he realized what was going on. It's in the description it's in the acution. My opinion!

The stuff is under a heading that says to check out his other items.  I don't get why putting pictures under a heading like that is not shady, but having the same heading with a text list is shady.

Social Media Junk:

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:23:29 PM
Ic3M4n (16)
New York

I can't find something to be misleading when it's all layed out in plain and simple text in the auction description.

Really? What exactly is an AUCTION DESCRIPTION??????

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:24:55 PM
elhector (80)
Arizona

The fact of it is, is that ebay has gotten so full of scam artist you can barely bid on anything. Ebay wont do anything about it, so these people will just keep scamming people.

Just like the asswipes who post Factory sealed games w/h-seam and then post in details it is an reproduction h-seam. I mean seariously people.

It is getting to a point where you almost need a Lawyer to know what yopu are getting and it's annoying.

People constantly try and find "legal" ways to mislead people and they desrve what they get.

Just so I understand, you really think the seller was putting that list of stuff to purposely mislead people into thinking that stuff was included in the auction, even though he clearly states right above it that it's a list of other stuff up for auction?

Maybe the guy is guilty of lousy desktop publishing skills, but I really don't think he was trying to con or mislead anyone.

Social Media Junk:

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:25:38 PM
Ic3M4n (16)
New York

The stuff is under a heading that says to check out his other items.  I don't get why putting pictures under a heading like that is not shady, but having the same heading with a text list is shady.

The stuff is under Auction description, that is why it is shady!

Having other listing outside of the description box is different.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:26:27 PM
Ic3M4n (16)
New York

Just so I understand, you really think the seller was putting that list of stuff to purposely mislead people into thinking that stuff was included in the auction, even though he clearly states right above it that it's a list of other stuff up for auction?

yes I do

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:26:51 PM
elhector (80)
Arizona

I can't find something to be misleading when it's all layed out in plain and simple text in the auction description.

Really? What exactly is an AUCTION DESCRIPTION??????

It's the terms of the auction.  Do the terms of the auction state anywhere that those games are included? Nope.

Does eBay allow sellers to advertise there other auctions within auction descriptions? Yes.

Nothing shady about it.

Social Media Junk: