Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Wireless Controller?

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:46:59 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Yeah if you are considering wired ones too there is a wide range of price and quality. I am surprised rubber replacement part kits havent become a big product yet.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:58:18 PM
Sargon (46)
(Chris ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
I ordered two already and if they are as nice as I expect them to be then I will likely be in for at least two more later!

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:10:31 AM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
(Nicklas ) < Little Mac >
Sweden
I ordered 2 as well :-) And would have loved to get one of those USB braces for my AVS in the parcel... #PrettyPleaseWithJellyBeansOnTop ;-)

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:31:39 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

What other options are so cheap? Retro Receiver + NES30 is in the $50-60 range, ...

If you already have a Wii remote, DualShock 4, Wii U Pro controller, or Switch Joy-Con controller, then you don't need the NES30.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:55:04 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
If you already have my wireless gamepads then you don't need the NES30 or Retro Receiver, so those are WAY overpriced!   I haven't used the Wii U Pro gamepad but the others sound horrible for NES.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:39:41 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Yes! Just received shipping confirmation. Thanks RetroUSB!

-------------------------

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:33:01 AM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
Sweden

If you already have my wireless gamepads then you don't need the NES30 or Retro Receiver, so those are WAY overpriced!   I haven't used the Wii U Pro gamepad but the others sound horrible for NES.
I bought a Wii U in April, initially just to play Zelda BOTW, and I gotta say that the Pro Pad is really nice. Found Wii USB helper and have been playing side scrolling games with it a lot, and it is comfy and feels like a good build. About 80hours of battery life as well!

Edited: 07/18/2017 at 05:38 AM by Tsurugi_Takuma

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:20:05 AM
Pheidian (14)
< Meka Chicken >
Finland
Anyone gotten hands on on these yet? Ordered 2 my self but they probably take a few weeks to arrive in Finland, waiting eagerly on some comments on the gamepads.

Collecting licensed NES games: 710 of 711 - DONE! (Mah Jong Missing)

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:20:36 AM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
Sweden
Originally posted by: Pheidian

Anyone gotten hands on on these yet? Ordered 2 my self but they probably take a few weeks to arrive in Finland, waiting eagerly on some comments on the gamepads.

Yeah we up here in the cold north will have to wait a while 😁
I've only heard positive reviews from the ones who have been lucky enough to try these out before launch!

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:33:25 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

To me, the Wii remote has always felt natural for NES games. I just hate when the B trigger on the underside is mapped to a button (turbo or duplicated), because it gets bumped accidentally all the damn time!

Edited: 07/18/2017 at 10:35 AM by Ichinisan

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:59:28 AM
Selective_Memory (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Pheidian

Mine is sceduled to arrive tomorrow and I'm really excited to check it out. Especially the no membrane/microswitched buttons (no membrane in the brain!). A controller I had a while ago (a Razer Onza) had microswitched buttons and it felt so much better than buttons on a "regular" pad that I'm surprised more people don't do it.

I want to figure out a way to record my hands as I do a playthrough of Super C (I donated my tripod for a fund-raiser sale, rats!) as soon as I get it to see how my hands...react to the "wings." I was kinda iffy on the shape at first, but I just noticed how strange my grip is with the standard NES controller a couple days ago after I ordered one. Basically as I mash for bosses in Super C, I noticed the tops of my palms are squished really hard agains the sides of the controllers with my lower palms going inward a tiny bit. I think ​this is why my hands are so sore/tired at the end of each stage and I'm really curious if my hands will feel better with those wings that this new controller has since it would prevent me from contorting my hands to a place that can't be great for my wrists.

​Sorry, I kinda rambled for a bit... I'm just excited. 

edit: typo/spelling

Edited: 07/24/2017 at 09:17 PM by Selective_Memory

Jul 19, 2017 at 1:38:56 PM
tacoboy42 (0)
(Taco man) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
mine arrived today, 1 seems to not be working the other works but the led is always on even when the system is off is there a way to turn off the controller?

edit: the controller turned off guess its by time, anyone know if you can manually turn it off?

Edited: 07/19/2017 at 01:56 PM by tacoboy42

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:31:05 PM
Selective_Memory (0)
< Cherub >
Originally posted by: tacoboy42
edit: the controller turned off guess its by time, anyone know if you can manually turn it off?

I just know that the page where you buy it says "The gamepad goes to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity so you don't have to worry about it being left on." So I wouldn't be surprised if there's not. I just played with mine that I just got in the mail about an hour ago for a little, and I can say that my hands don't press on the sides really hard like they do with the regular rectangular NES controllers and my hands are so much less tired after some boss button-mashing in Super C. It took me a few minutes to get used to the new Dpad, but I think I greatly prefer it over the original one as I've always prefered clicky Dpads (although, these are more clacky than clicky).

I've only gotten so far as the laser-shower boss in Super C, but I can safely say now that I really, really like this controller. ​My hands used to be so sore after this boss. They feel so much better now!

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:31:31 PM
1337bcc1991 (215)
(Brandon ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Are the LLE purchasers still entitled to one of these included in the LLE purchase price?

Want thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Sale thread:

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:12:13 PM
tacoboy42 (0)
(Taco man) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
got the other one working just needed a to charge it. all in all i like the clicky feel, not sure about the shape. will probably keep one original and one will swap with a NES controller

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:05:42 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Got mine in today. Beat TMNT 2, but for the first time in maybe 20-30 times beating it did not die until Krang - which I always do. Usually I also die to the guy that shoots fire and the rocket launcher dude. This is a testament to both the AVS and the controller. No lag. Felt great. Usually after beating this game both my hands are super tight and sore, but not after this one. I am thoroughly impressed. Definitely recommend buying one.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:58:35 AM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
I got mine today, and I've got to say it's pretty awesome. I love the tactile button pressing. I was a bit on the fence about the controller's shape. I honestly didn't think it would be that comfortable even with people who had tested it saying it felt great. Well, it does feel great. Brian obviously worked really hard on the controller's "feel".

And now for a complaint. I think I might have found a bug. While playing gunsmoke with the turbo on both buttons turned up to three or four, I've noticed inputs will seem to drop out randomly sometime for a second or two when I switch from single button firing to dual button firing. I was running it on the AVS with firmware from several months ago (screen says 1.20 beta 7, may be a typo). Tomorrow afternoon, when I have more time, I'll try it on the original NES and an updated AVS.

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:50:54 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: CMR

And now for a complaint. I think I might have found a bug. While playing gunsmoke with the turbo on both buttons turned up to three or four, I've noticed inputs will seem to drop out randomly sometime for a second or two when I switch from single button firing to dual button firing. I was running it on the AVS with firmware from several months ago (screen says 1.20 beta 7, may be a typo). Tomorrow afternoon, when I have more time, I'll try it on the original NES and an updated AVS.

Not a problem with the controller. The issue is with the game and how it is reading the button presses. Which is not an actual issue since I am sure the game was not made with turbo controllers in mind.

If you press/hold both buttons at the same time with turbo on at just the right moment the LED light cycle will look like it is always off due to the flashing cycle of the buttons.  One button is telling the LED to turn off just after the other button tells it to turn on. This happens so fast you can't see the flash and the LED will look like its off while holding down A and B

When you do that in Gun.Smoke at just the right time it will confuse the game and not register any button presses at all. 

You can test that the controller is working within a controller test cart. Doing the same button presses that give you no action in Gun.Smoke will register just fine on a test cart.

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:53:50 PM
1337bcc1991 (215)
(Brandon ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: 1337bcc1991

Are the LLE purchasers still entitled to one of these included in the LLE purchase price?

Any word...?

Want thread:
Sale thread:

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:13:51 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: Mog

Originally posted by: CMR

Not a problem with the controller. The issue is with the game and how it is reading the button presses. Which is not an actual issue since I am sure the game was not made with turbo controllers in mind.

If you press/hold both buttons at the same time with turbo on at just the right moment the LED light cycle will look like it is always off due to the flashing cycle of the buttons.  One button is telling the LED to turn off just after the other button tells it to turn on. This happens so fast you can't see the flash and the LED will look like its off while holding down A and B

When you do that in Gun.Smoke at just the right time it will confuse the game and not register any button presses at all. 

You can test that the controller is working within a controller test cart. Doing the same button presses that give you no action in Gun.Smoke will register just fine on a test cart.
You're absolutely right.  I just got home and did some more tests.  The same thing happens even on a regular controller if you're holding one button and trying to press another.  Apologies to Brian, his controller is perfect   .

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:27:30 PM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Scrolling up I kept seeing "Rumble" in someone's signature and thought that was a feature in this controller!  

Unless it will be...?  

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:05:18 PM
retroupgrade (3)
< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: romevi

Scrolling up I kept seeing "Rumble" in someone's signature and thought that was a feature in this controller!  

Unless it will be...?  

Rumble would be cool, but adding rumble to a game that's not coded for it usually means the rumble is based off audio input. This would lead to a product like the Shock 'n Rock. This style rumble product is interesting, but not really worth buying. 

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:43:10 AM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I received my wireless controller the other night and have been thoroughly impressed. Kicks the crap out of the 8bitdo stuff. Good feel, negligible amount of input lag (I was able to speedrun Ninja Gaiden and finish Battletoads, for instance), good feel on the d-pad and buttons, impossible to hit more than two directions at once (it feels like the d-pad pivots in the middle how it should), no sync issues (the receiver recognizes it immediately) and the weird looking handles actually make sense in person and keeps it feeling comfortable in long sessions.

| gameplay and talk |

Jul 24, 2017 at 6:26:57 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Any word...?

Oh, have you not heard?

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:11:23 PM
Traveller (7)
< Tourian Tourist >
New South Wales
Hey

With the Turbo function, how do you reset it back to normal? I haven't tried using it yet, but is there a way to know when the function is off again?