Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Edge Connector Update

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:38:21 PM
Kid Dynamite (1)
< Tourian Tourist >
California
I remember reading that there would be a replacement plug & play edge connector for the AVS to solve the green strip issue. Has there been any kind of status update for this correction?

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:45:24 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Last I heard it should be coming along on the next shipment of AVSes. March to May, assuming everything moves along.

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:48:37 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Yeah I think it's in production, but Chinese New Year slows everything down. March to May sounds like a reasonable estimate, but probably May. Then add a month for pirates boarding the shipping boat.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:18:21 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Is there some kind of waiting list that I need to add myself to for the new connector?
My copy of Bubble Bobble is eagerly awaiting.

-------------------------
  Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:24:42 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Not yet.

It'll probably be announced when the shipment arrives.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:30:51 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Thanks. I've been wondering about that.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:25:33 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I remember hearing there was going to be a drop-in replacement as well for the flimsy USB port issue--is this expected to be around the same time? Mine just snapped off today and so my AVS has turned into a brick.

| gameplay and talk |

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:28:07 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
It's a 3D printed brace, but that won't help a connector that already snapped. Contact [email protected] and see what they can do.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:38:43 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
All right, I'll reach out to the Retro USB support email.

| gameplay and talk |

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:27:07 PM
R.O.B. 2084 (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
Hoping for the a new AVS edge connector soon. I keep picking up nes games with the stupid green strip 😂

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:53:54 PM
Kid Dynamite (1)
< Tourian Tourist >
California
Originally posted by: Deadpool18

Hoping for the a new AVS edge connector soon. I keep picking up nes games with the stupid green strip 😂

Yeah, popped in Strider yesterday for the first time in the AVS, same problem. I'd say about 10% of my games to this point require the "left edge" technique. Pretty annoying. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:29:16 PM
Dr Manhattan (2)
< Tourian Tourist >
California
Originally posted by: Austin

Mine just snapped off today and so my AVS has turned into a brick.

This is my greatest fear. It's also the reason why I haven't used the scoreboard software. I'm just too afraid to unplug the system.

Back on topic, one of the reasons I bought this system was to play Super Mario hacks and hombrews. Unfortunately I've noticed that very few of my cart repro and homebrews actually work with the system. These same carts run fine on clone systems like the Super Retro Trio. Does anyone think this green stripe issue might be the cause of my problem?

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:02:30 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: Dr Manhattan

This is my greatest fear. It's also the reason why I haven't used the scoreboard software. I'm just too afraid to unplug the system.

Back on topic, one of the reasons I bought this system was to play Super Mario hacks and hombrews. Unfortunately I've noticed that very few of my cart repro and homebrews actually work with the system. These same carts run fine on clone systems like the Super Retro Trio. Does anyone think this green stripe issue might be the cause of my problem?

I've never seen a homebrew game with a green strip tbh, although I still have an issue with my FF7 cart that runs perfectly on my OG Nes and Super Retro Trio. On the AVS (and only the AVS) the graphics are garbled, and my saves get deleted.
What games are you having issues with, and have you contacted their support to let them know?

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:13:15 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: avlon

I've never seen a homebrew game with a green strip tbh, although I still have an issue with my FF7 cart that runs perfectly on my OG Nes and Super Retro Trio. On the AVS (and only the AVS) the graphics are garbled, and my saves get deleted.
What games are you having issues with, and have you contacted their support to let them know?

Yeah, but they might have a slightly different pin pitch/length.

Edited: 03/18/2017 at 09:13 PM by CZroe

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:35:58 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington

Just use the computer that runs scoreboard to run the power of your AVS all the time. That is what I do...so I never have to unplug and plug anthing in...
Then again, I have used mine in many different rooms, at work and friends house. Never did I worry about the USB break off.

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:59:27 PM
Dr Manhattan (2)
< Tourian Tourist >
California

I have a repro of All Night Super Nippon SMB, and a copy of Super Mario Unlimited. SMBU came from GameReproductions.com. I also purchased some other games from that site and they all work fine. Only SMBU refuses to run on the AVS. As for All Night Nippon SMB, I actually have that game on a Mario themed multi cart and it runs just fine. Only the single cart version refuses to run. 

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:28:43 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York

I have a repro of All Night Super Nippon SMB, and a copy of Super Mario Unlimited. SMBU came from GameReproductions.com. I also purchased some other games from that site and they all work fine. Only SMBU refuses to run on the AVS. As for All Night Nippon SMB, I actually have that game on a Mario themed multi cart and it runs just fine. Only the single cart version refuses to run. 

I'm not familiar with any of these, but they do sound interesting.  I'll see if I have them on my Everdrive.  Did you let support know about SMBU?

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:41:10 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

It's a legitimate fear. That said, RetroUSB is taking care of me, so if something does ever happen to yours, get in contact with them. I sent the unit back a couple of days after making my last post. Received an email notification today indicating it's being worked on.

| gameplay and talk |

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:45:57 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

I just unplug the USB end. I use an external battery pack for just plain power and a laptop if I want to use scoreboard.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:19:26 AM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Good news--I received my (replacement?) AVS the other day. First thing I did was crack it open to check the USB port. Looks like there are now two rods next to the USB port with tiny nuts keeping it secure in place. It feels way more solid now. I'm not sure if this is a new permanent design update, but if it is, it's great news for future AVS owners. If any early adopters have issues, just reach out to RetroUSB's email support and they will help you out.

| gameplay and talk |

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:44:55 PM
Kid Dynamite (1)
< Tourian Tourist >
California
It's April now, anybody know the status of the edge connector replacement?

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:03:23 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
The new connectors will arrive with the next shipment of consoles.

There is no solid ETA for the next shipment of consoles yet.

Edited: 04/09/2017 at 04:03 PM by Mog

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:11:12 PM
quiet451 (45)
(Schlitz Barrelman) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: Mog

I know it's a small operation, but this fix has been a long time coming now.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:28:47 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: quiet451

Not to sound like a jerk, but, ...and?  From what I've read, bunnyboy needed to recoup his costs from shelling out for the first run of the AVS to be able to afford the next run.  The connectors got thrown in with that, hence the several months time between the order being placed, manufacturing being completed and then everything showing up.  He probably could have gone ahead and thrown out an order for just a bunch of connectors, but as most manufacturers have minimal order requirements before they'll start any work for you, I doubt the number of connectors he needed to order would have met the minimum required to get everything going.  Even if it had, the timing still ran afoul of Chinese New Year, which has been one of the things delaying the new batch of systems and connectors.

Most of us want our replacement connectors so that we don't have to fight with some of our carts.  But, it's going to take time.  The ETA for delivery was March (at the earliest) through May (the most likely timeframe).  It's the second week of April now, so it's likely we'll have an estimate in the next week or two and then delivery/distribution a short time after that.  We're all in the same boat, so just have some more patience--it's not outside of the original estimate for the new connectors to arrive, so no need to get (or sound like you're) bent out of shape over the wait.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:42:00 PM
quiet451 (45)
(Schlitz Barrelman) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Originally posted by: quiet451

Not to sound like a jerk, but, ...and?  From what I've read, bunnyboy needed to recoup his costs from shelling out for the first run of the AVS to be able to afford the next run.  The connectors got thrown in with that, hence the several months time between the order being placed, manufacturing being completed and then everything showing up.  He probably could have gone ahead and thrown out an order for just a bunch of connectors, but as most manufacturers have minimal order requirements before they'll start any work for you, I doubt the number of connectors he needed to order would have met the minimum required to get everything going.  Even if it had, the timing still ran afoul of Chinese New Year, which has been one of the things delaying the new batch of systems and connectors.

Most of us want our replacement connectors so that we don't have to fight with some of our carts.  But, it's going to take time.  The ETA for delivery was March (at the earliest) through May (the most likely timeframe).  It's the second week of April now, so it's likely we'll have an estimate in the next week or two and then delivery/distribution a short time after that.  We're all in the same boat, so just have some more patience--it's not outside of the original estimate for the new connectors to arrive, so no need to get (or sound like you're) bent out of shape over the wait.

It's fine and I'll live, but your ETA was slightly different than what I was told.  I have owned my AVS for 7 months now with this problem.  When I e-mailed in October I was told in an e-mail

"we are aiming to have the replacement connector be very cheap(shipping costs) or even free.  The new pin connector is still at least a couple of months away at this time"

To me "at least a couple months" means 2-3 months (December or January), not 6-8 months.

I love everything RetroUSB has done and I'm very happy with my system.  I use a game genie adapter to get my green strip games to play.  It's literally 30 seconds of additional work if I pull a green strip game off of my shelf.  It's just a minor annoyance that there is no official statement or timeline for the repair as far as I can tell.

Edited: 04/10/2017 at 02:42 PM by quiet451